|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Newman from?
2. What does Urbain tell Newman the family still needs to come to terms with?
3. What does Noemie's father claim would make his daughter happier?
4. How does Newman feel about the idea that he isn't good enough to marry Claire?
5. Babcock is from __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How did her family feel about Claire's decision to give up her right to her husband's money?
2. While he is confessing his affections for her for the first time, what does Newman ask Claire to do in regard to her decision about him?
3. What happened that made Newman decide to leave business?
4. Why does Newman allow Tristam to choose a new apartment for him?
5. Why does Babcock decide to stop traveling with Newman?
6. At the end of Chapter V, what amusing point does Newman make about other people's comments on his moral standards?
7. What actions did Valentin's family take out of fear that he would ruin the family's good name?
8. Why is Valentin considered upstanding and noble?
9. As their friendship starts to form, what do Mrs. Tristam and Newman offer each other?
10. What are the women doing in the Louvre that Newman finds so interesting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose at least one female character from "The American" and discuss at least 3 ways she goes against traditional gender stereotypes of someone like her.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss at least 3 literary devices that James uses to help the reader better understand at least one character of your choosing. Use direct quotations and/or examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Describe at least 3 things that James is able to do with the character of Newman because he is a man AND at least 3 things he is *not* able to do with Newman because he is a man.
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)