|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does everyone drink during Newman's first visit to see Claire?
2. Whom does Newman leave behind when he begins his formal tour of Europe?
3. How does Mrs. Tristam know that Claire is back in town after Newman comes back to town?
4. Which child did Claire's family think would ruin the family's good name?
5. Where does Newman unexpectedly run into Valentin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Newman interested in when it comes to a potential spouse for himself?
2. What has Claire's family already done to her in regard to marriage?
3. What does Newman think about the fact that he is the only dinner guest at the Bellegardes one evening?
4. According to Valentin, what attitude toward life does Claire have?
5. What causes Claire to shift from threatening to banish Newman if he talked about marriage again to making him wait 6 months instead?
6. Why does Noemie tell her father to offer to teach Newman French?
7. How does Mrs. Tristam respond when she learns that Newman has never been married?
8. What actions did Valentin's family take out of fear that he would ruin the family's good name?
9. Why does Newman not want to play poker with Tristam?
10. Why does Babcock decide to stop traveling with Newman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast 2 female characters of your choosing from the "The American," making sure to use direct evidence and examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze at least 3 different literary techniques James uses to create tension in "The American."
Essay Topic 3
Discuss at least 3 literary devices James uses within the first 3 chapters to help the reader better understand Newman as both a character and the protagonist. Make sure to use examples and/or quotations from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)