|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mrs. Bread feel about Claire?
(a) Like she's the girl she's been waiting so long to come for Newman.
(b) Like she's not good enough for her beloved Newman.
(c) She doesn't know her well enough to have an opinion.
(d) Like she's her own daughter.
2. What surprises Valentin about the invitation his family sends out for Newman and Claire's engagement party?
(a) It doesn't mention that an American will be there as the entertainment.
(b) It isn't on their usual stationery.
(c) It leaves off Newman's full name.
(d) It doesn't have the family crest on it.
3. What two people does Newman find talking with Lord Deepmere the night of his engagement party?
(a) Valentin and Urbain.
(b) Urbain and Noemie.
(c) Claire and Madame de Bellegarde.
(d) Mrs. Tristam and Claire.
4. What role does Claire have in the church services at her convent?
(a) She cleans the pews.
(b) She leads the service.
(c) She passes around the collection plate.
(d) She is in the choir.
5. What does Urbain make sure to do at the engagement party?
(a) Introduce Newman to all the important people.
(b) Make fun of Newman behind his back.
(c) Drink a lot.
(d) Make sure Claire never gets the chance to speak.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who watches Valentin eat his last meal before the duel?
2. What threat does Newman make about telling the family secret?
3. What is known about the man Noemie has been seen with?
4. Who wants Newman to take her to the Bal Bullier?
5. With whom does Newman go to the opera?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Tristam have to say about Claire and Newman's broken engagement?
2. What does Valentin report to Newman has been happening between Noemie and her mysterious friend during the opera?
3. What does Valentin think happened surrounding the death of his father?
4. How did Mrs. Bread get connected to the Bellegarde familiy?
5. In Chapter XIII, what does Newman notably compare Claire's mother's personality to?
6. What does Newman ask Mrs. Tristam about at the engagement party?
7. What does Claire tell Newman about the reason why the engagement has been called off?
8. Once Valentin and Newman learn that Noemie has been spending her time with a mysterious man, what does Valentin think about the situation?
9. What does Urbain confirm about his father's murder to Newman?
10. Why does Mrs. Tristam arrange for Newman to see Claire in her convent?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)