|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the injured Valentin think of Claire's feelings on the broken engagement?
(a) She did not give up Newman willingly.
(b) She must listen to her mother.
(c) She called it off herself.
(d) She is better of without him.
2. How does the Bellegarde family welcome him when he tells them that he and Claire are engaged?
(a) With open, loving arms.
(b) They kick him out of their house.
(c) No one talks to him for weeks.
3. What surprises Valentin about the invitation his family sends out for Newman and Claire's engagement party?
(a) It leaves off Newman's full name.
(b) It isn't on their usual stationery.
(c) It doesn't mention that an American will be there as the entertainment.
(d) It doesn't have the family crest on it.
4. Who arranges for Newman to be able to go to a church service where he might see Claire?
(a) Claire herself.
(b) Mrs. Bread.
(c) Mrs. Tristam.
(d) Claire's mother.
5. Why do doctors refuse to let Newman see Valentin for a while?
(a) They have strict orders from the Bellegarde family.
(b) They claim Newman excites him.
(c) They are worried Newman might give him his cold.
(d) They aren't sure what their relationship is.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wants Newman to take her to the Bal Bullier?
2. Which of Claire's family members want to talk to Newman at Claire's convent?
3. What does Valentin think of his family's involvement in breaking up Claire and Newman's engagement?
4. What piece of possible evidence does Mrs. Bread have about how Claire's father died?
5. What does Newman tell the Bellegardes about how Valentin felt about his family on his deathbed?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter XIII, what does Newman notably compare Claire's mother's personality to?
2. What does Noemie tell Newman when he confronts her and her father at the Cafe de le Patrie?
3. What does Urbain confirm about his father's murder to Newman?
4. What does Urbain's wife ask Newman to do during the opera?
5. How does the Bellegarde family react when Newman tells him that he and Claire are engaged?
6. What does Newman first tell the injured Valentin about Claire?
7. How did Mrs. Bread get connected to the Bellegarde familiy?
8. What threat does Newman end up making to Urbain about the information he has on the Bellegarde family?
9. What does Mrs. Tristam have to say about Claire and Newman's broken engagement?
10. Why does Mrs. Tristam arrange for Newman to see Claire in her convent?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)