|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Valentin think of his family's involvement in breaking up Claire and Newman's engagement?
(a) He is grateful.
(b) He is proud.
(c) He is ashamed.
(d) He could care less.
2. How does Newman learn that Urbain and Madame de Bellegarde are returning to Paris to support Claire's decision to become a nun?
(a) From the newspaper.
(b) They tell him in person.
(c) From Mrs. Bread.
(d) By note.
3. Who confirms to Newman that Claire's father was murdered?
(d) Madame de Bellegarde.
4. What does Noemie think the duel will do?
(a) Show how silly such things are.
(b) Prove that Claire really isn't worth fighting over.
(c) Increase her importance.
(d) Prove that Newman isn't as honorable as he acts.
5. Against whom does Mrs. Bread confess to having a grudge?
(a) Madame de Bellegarde.
(c) Mrs. Tristam.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Valentin suspect his father died?
2. Why do doctors refuse to let Newman see Valentin for a while?
3. In Chapter XIII, what does Newman claim his feelings for Claire are?
4. Who reassures Newman that he is acting appropriately at his engagement party?
5. What does the injured Valentin think of Claire's feelings on the broken engagement?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Urbain request of Newman when he comes and confesses that his father was in fact murdered?
2. How does the Bellegarde family react when Newman tells him that he and Claire are engaged?
3. What does Claire say to Newman when they finally speak after their engagement is called off?
4. How did Mrs. Bread get connected to the Bellegarde familiy?
5. In Chapter XIII, what does Newman notably compare Claire's mother's personality to?
6. What does Valentin report to Newman has been happening between Noemie and her mysterious friend during the opera?
7. What does Claire plan to do now that she is no longer engaged to Newman?
8. What promise to Mrs. Bread does Newman fulfill in Chapter 23?
9. Why does Mrs. Tristam arrange for Newman to see Claire in her convent?
10. What does Newman first tell the injured Valentin about Claire?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)