|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Noemie feel about the duel?
(b) Uninterested since it doesn't involve her.
(d) She thinks the whole thing is silly.
2. What does Urbain make sure to do at the engagement party?
(a) Make fun of Newman behind his back.
(b) Introduce Newman to all the important people.
(c) Make sure Claire never gets the chance to speak.
(d) Drink a lot.
3. Who does Valentin think knows what really happened with his father's death?
(b) Newman himself.
(c) Mrs. Tristam.
(d) Mrs. Bread.
4. Who tells Newman during the opera that she is terribly bored with her husband?
(b) Urbain's wife.
(c) Mrs. Tristam.
5. What does Mrs. Bread encourage Newman to do with Claire?
(a) Be patient with her.
(b) Marry her.
(c) Take her as far from Paris as he can.
(d) All of these answers are correct.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Newman see entering Claire's chapel just as he is leaving?
2. What does the injured Valentin think of Claire's feelings on the broken engagement?
3. How does Claire seem as her marriage to Newman grows closer?
4. What piece of evidence does Newman show Urbain and his mother after they have all been to Claire's convent?
5. Who first meets Newman when he has come to speak with Claire's mother and brother, supposedly for the last time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Noemie tell Newman when he confronts her and her father at the Cafe de le Patrie?
2. What does Mrs. Tristam have to say about Claire and Newman's broken engagement?
3. What is Newman's original plan in confronting Urbain and Madame de Bellegarde about the way Claire's father died?
4. How does the Bellegarde family react when Newman tells him that he and Claire are engaged?
5. What did Madame de Bellegarde once accuse Mrs. Bread of?
6. What does Valentin think happened surrounding the death of his father?
7. What kind of story does a duchess tell about Newman at this engagement party?
8. How did Mrs. Bread get connected to the Bellegarde familiy?
9. What does Newman ask Mrs. Tristam about at the engagement party?
10. What promise to Mrs. Bread does Newman fulfill in Chapter 23?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)