|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Valentin claim to be horrified at the idea of Newman wanting to marry Claire?
(a) He knows Newman has dark secrets.
(b) He thinks Claire is too wicked for Newman.
(c) Newman doesn't have a title.
(d) He views Claire as his little sister.
2. What is Babcock's first name?
3. Why does Claire claim she is agreeing to see Newman in Chapter IX?
(a) She wants to make her mom angry.
(b) She is deeply in love with him.
(c) She promised her brother she would.
(d) She likes to bully him around.
4. What reason does Mrs. Tristam give Newman about why Claire will never act against her mother or brother?
(a) It was Claire's father's dying wish that she always obey.
(b) The importance of family.
(c) The family is abusive to her.
(d) Claire is too timid.
5. Who discourages the idea that Newman might like a tour of the house during his visit to see Claire?
(b) Mrs. Tristam.
Short Answer Questions
1. What hotel is Newman staying in when he meets Tristam?
2. What are Valentin, Claire, and Newman sitting in front of the first time Newman pays Claire a visit?
3. When was "The American" originally published in book form?
4. What does everyone drink during Newman's first visit to see Claire?
5. What does Claire say in response to Newman's first confession to her that he feels very deeply for her?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of Chapter V, what amusing point does Newman make about other people's comments on his moral standards?
2. How does Noemie react to the paintings Newman wants her to paint for him?
3. What is Newman interested in when it comes to a potential spouse for himself?
4. What does Mrs. Tristam tell Newman Claire's family wants for her?
5. What surprising event happens as Urbain and his wife are preparing to go to a ball?
6. Why does Nioche offer to teach Newman French for free?
7. What happened that made Newman decide to leave business?
8. What does Newman think will happen that will make him return to business?
9. What actions did Valentin's family take out of fear that he would ruin the family's good name?
10. How does Claire's mother react when Newman tells her that he intends to marry Claire some day?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)