|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Newman feel about the idea that he isn't good enough to marry Claire?
(a) He knows it's true.
(b) He is deeply hurt.
(c) He overlooks the gossip.
(d) He finds it ridiculous.
2. Who coordinates delivery of Noemie's first painting to Newman?
(a) Her father.
(b) A museum curator.
(c) Her publicity person.
(d) The museum librarian.
3. When Valentin is talking with Newman in his new apartment, what job does Valentin currently have?
(a) He works as a businessman.
(b) He is a wine maker.
(c) He works as a painter.
4. When was "The American" originally published in book form?
5. What is Claire de Bellegarde's history of marriage?
(a) She has been engaged three times but never married.
(b) She has never been engaged or married.
(c) She is a widow.
(d) She is still married, but a divorce is inevitable.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Valentin warn Newman about during his visit to Newman's new home?
2. How does Newman think Noemie has come to be so wise in the ways of the world?
3. Who informs Newman that Noemie has left her father's home?
4. How does Valentin describe Claire to Newman?
5. During the dinner in Chapter XII, what does Urbain talk about quite a bit?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Noemie react to the paintings Newman wants her to paint for him?
2. How did her family feel about Claire's decision to give up her right to her husband's money?
3. What does Newman think about the fact that he is the only dinner guest at the Bellegardes one evening?
4. After Newman pays several visits to Claire, what does he come to enjoy about her?
5. Why does Newman allow Tristam to choose a new apartment for him?
6. Why does Nioche offer to teach Newman French for free?
7. Why is Valentin considered upstanding and noble?
8. While he is confessing his affections for her for the first time, what does Newman ask Claire to do in regard to her decision about him?
9. As their friendship starts to form, what do Mrs. Tristam and Newman offer each other?
10. How does Nioche find a solution for the lack of dowry money he has for his daughter?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)