|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the only thing that Claire refuses to do to keep peace in her family?
(a) Be snobbish.
(b) Marry again.
(c) Give lavish parties.
(d) Be submissive.
2. What does Newman think Claire's family should have to do when it comes to proving Newman's nobility?
(a) Ignore the aspect of nobility.
(b) Make it clear that he's very rich, if not noble.
(c) Take Newman's word for it.
(d) Prove that he is "not" noble.
3. How does Valentin describe Claire to Newman?
(d) All of these answers are correct.
4. What do the Nioches add to Noemie's first painting that brings its price up?
(a) A special coating.
(b) An extra object in the painting.
(c) Drops of liquid gold to make it look fancier.
(d) A frame.
5. Who coordinates delivery of Noemie's first painting to Newman?
(a) Her father.
(b) The museum librarian.
(c) A museum curator.
(d) Her publicity person.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Valentin respond to Newman's observation that Valentin does nothing but enjoy his leisure?
2. When Newman and Claire's mother are left alone for the first time, what does Newman tell her?
3. Who officially introduces Newman and Claire to each other?
4. Why does Valentin claim to be horrified at the idea of Newman wanting to marry Claire?
5. Where is Newman from?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Valentin, what attitude toward life does Claire have?
2. What has Claire's family already done to her in regard to marriage?
3. What surprising event happens as Urbain and his wife are preparing to go to a ball?
4. Why does Newman not want to play poker with Tristam?
5. How does Noemie react to the paintings Newman wants her to paint for him?
6. What is Newman interested in when it comes to a potential spouse for himself?
7. What causes Claire to shift from threatening to banish Newman if he talked about marriage again to making him wait 6 months instead?
8. Why does Nioche offer to teach Newman French for free?
9. What does Newman think about the fact that he is the only dinner guest at the Bellegardes one evening?
10. Why is Valentin considered upstanding and noble?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)