|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Newman uncomfortable during a dinner in Chapter XII with the Bellegardes?
(a) He isn't sure how to eat what is being served.
(b) The food is not very good.
(c) The fact that he is the only guest.
(d) No one seems to be talking at all.
2. What does Urbain tell Newman the family still needs to come to terms with?
(a) The fact that Newman is a businessman.
(b) The fact that Newman is from Brazil.
(c) The fact that Newman is so much older than Claire.
(d) The fact that Newman is not good at French.
3. What are Valentin, Claire, and Newman sitting in front of the first time Newman pays Claire a visit?
(a) A very large mirror.
(b) A beautiful window overlooking a lake.
(c) A freaky statue of a dog.
(d) A nice fireplace.
4. What does everyone drink during Newman's first visit to see Claire?
5. What hotel is Newman staying in when he meets Tristam?
(a) The Ritz.
(b) The Hyatt.
(c) The Grand Hotel.
(d) Just a no-name place.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the dinner in Chapter XII, what does Urbain talk about quite a bit?
2. What reason does Mrs. Tristam give Newman about why Claire will never act against her mother or brother?
3. What does Newman ask Valentin to help him do with Claire?
4. How does Newman feel about the idea that he isn't good enough to marry Claire?
5. What does Newman think Claire's family should have to do when it comes to proving Newman's nobility?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nioche find a solution for the lack of dowry money he has for his daughter?
2. What does Valentin think Noemie's absence from her father's house symbolizes?
3. What reaction does Newman have to the offer to tour Claire's home during his first visit?
4. What happened that made Newman decide to leave business?
5. What does Valentin think about Noemie and her plans for the future when he first meets her?
6. What surprising event happens as Urbain and his wife are preparing to go to a ball?
7. How does Mrs. Tristam respond when she learns that Newman has never been married?
8. Why does Newman allow Tristam to choose a new apartment for him?
9. What actions did Valentin's family take out of fear that he would ruin the family's good name?
10. How does Claire's mother react when Newman tells her that he intends to marry Claire some day?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)