|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who watches Valentin eat his last meal before the duel?
(b) Valentin's wife.
(d) Mrs. Tristam.
2. Who does Valentin suspect is involved in his father's death?
(a) His mother.
(b) Both his mother and Urbain.
3. Why does Newman decide to try to talk to Claire's mother and brother one last time after the engagement is called off?
(a) To ask for the gifts back that he gave Claire.
(b) Just to get his frustration out.
(c) To convince them to let him marry Claire.
(d) To ask them to give him a little money.
4. What piece of evidence does Newman show Urbain and his mother after they have all been to Claire's convent?
(a) A letter from Claire.
(b) The photo Mrs. Bread took.
(c) The bloody dagger.
(d) The note from Claire's father.
5. What does Newman ask when Mrs. Bread requests to know more about Valentin's last hours?
(a) They meet in private later.
(b) She should never ask him again.
(c) To give him some time before he answers.
(d) She should ask Claire's mother instead.
6. How does Claire feel about the duel?
(a) She finds it funny.
(b) She is very nervous.
(c) She plans on bringing a picnic lunch to watch.
(d) She makes sure a reporter is there to record everything.
7. Whom does Newman first tell that he knows of the family secret?
(a) Mrs. Tristam.
8. Who arranges for Newman to speak again with Urbain and Madame de Bellegarde after he sees them at Claire's chapel?
(b) Mrs. Tristam.
(c) Both Newman and Mrs. Urbain.
(d) Mrs. Urbain.
9. Whom does Newman see entering Claire's chapel just as he is leaving?
(a) Her mother and Urbain.
(c) Claire herself.
(d) Mrs. Bread.
10. Who is Lord Deepmere?
(a) Newman's long-lost cousin.
(b) A relative of the Bellegardes.
(c) A corrupt elected official in Paris.
(d) Mrs. Bread's brother-in-law.
11. What indicates to the wounded Valentin that something is wrong with Newman?
(a) He overhears Newman talking to a messenger.
(b) Nothing in particular; he can just tell.
(c) He overhears Newman talking to a reporter.
(d) He catches Newman crying when he thinks no one is looking.
12. Where does Valentin's burial take place?
13. Where does Newman learn that Valentin will not survive his wounds?
(a) By reading it in the paper.
(b) In bed, while he is asleep.
(c) At the train station.
(d) When he sees Valentin for himself.
14. With whom does Newman go to the opera?
(a) His sister.
(b) No one.
(c) Mrs. Bread.
(d) Mrs. Tristam.
15. What role does Claire have in the church services at her convent?
(a) She passes around the collection plate.
(b) She leads the service.
(c) She cleans the pews.
(d) She is in the choir.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do doctors refuse to let Newman see Valentin for a while?
2. How does Mrs. Bread feel about Claire?
3. Who does Valentin think knows what really happened with his father's death?
4. Who is Newman's least favorite person of the Bellegarde family?
5. What does Newman promise Mrs. Bread if he marries Claire?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)