|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Against whom does Mrs. Bread confess to having a grudge?
(a) Mrs. Tristam.
(d) Madame de Bellegarde.
2. Who tells Newman where the convent is that Claire has joined?
(a) Mrs. Urbain.
(b) Mrs. Nioche.
(c) Mrs. Tristam.
(d) Mrs. Bread.
3. What piece of possible evidence does Mrs. Bread have about how Claire's father died?
(a) A bloody dagger.
(b) A note.
(c) A picture.
(d) A sample of the poison.
4. Who arranges for Newman to speak again with Urbain and Madame de Bellegarde after he sees them at Claire's chapel?
(a) Both Newman and Mrs. Urbain.
(b) Mrs. Tristam.
(c) Mrs. Urbain.
5. What does the injured Valentin think of Claire's feelings on the broken engagement?
(a) She called it off herself.
(b) She did not give up Newman willingly.
(c) She must listen to her mother.
(d) She is better of without him.
6. Newman threatens to tell the Bellegarde's family secret to ___________.
(a) The police.
(c) Influential people at the engagement party.
(d) The press.
7. What surprises Valentin about the invitation his family sends out for Newman and Claire's engagement party?
(a) It leaves off Newman's full name.
(b) It doesn't have the family crest on it.
(c) It doesn't mention that an American will be there as the entertainment.
(d) It isn't on their usual stationery.
8. Who does Valentin suspect is involved in his father's death?
(a) Both his mother and Urbain.
(d) His mother.
9. Who does Valentin think knows what really happened with his father's death?
(b) Newman himself.
(c) Mrs. Bread.
(d) Mrs. Tristam.
10. What indicates to the wounded Valentin that something is wrong with Newman?
(a) He catches Newman crying when he thinks no one is looking.
(b) Nothing in particular; he can just tell.
(c) He overhears Newman talking to a reporter.
(d) He overhears Newman talking to a messenger.
11. What does Mrs. Bread report Claire's family did to ruin Claire's relationship with Newman?
(a) Made her feel wicked.
(b) The relationship fell apart on its own.
(c) Told her he was having an affair.
(d) Told her she was too ugly for him.
12. How does Noemie feel about the duel?
(b) Uninterested since it doesn't involve her.
(d) She thinks the whole thing is silly.
13. How long has Mrs. Bread known Claire's mother?
(a) 40 years.
(b) 4 years.
(c) 14 years.
(d) 24 years.
14. What is known about the man Noemie has been seen with?
(a) He is bald.
(b) He is deaf.
(c) All of these answers are correct.
(d) He spends money easily.
15. Who is Newman's least favorite person of the Bellegarde family?
(a) Madame de Bellegarde.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter XIII, what does Newman claim his feelings for Claire are?
2. What is Urbain unhappy about at the engagement party?
3. What members of her family has Claire refused to see?
4. How do Claire's brother and mother feel about her decision to become a nun?
5. How does Claire feel about the duel?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)