|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of Claire's family members want to talk to Newman at Claire's convent?
(a) Madame de Bellegarde.
(b) Urbain's wife and daughter.
(c) None of them.
(d) Clarie's daughter.
2. Where does Newman find Noemie and her dad after she has disappeared?
(a) The Occidental Club.
(b) The Louvre.
(c) An open air market.
(d) The Cafe de la Patrie.
3. What does Newman tell the Bellegardes about how Valentin felt about his family on his deathbed?
(a) He was proud of them.
(b) He loved them all very much.
(c) He disowned them.
(d) He was ashamed of them.
4. What indicates to the wounded Valentin that something is wrong with Newman?
(a) He overhears Newman talking to a reporter.
(b) He catches Newman crying when he thinks no one is looking.
(c) He overhears Newman talking to a messenger.
(d) Nothing in particular; he can just tell.
5. What does Newman ask Valentin to do while they are at the opera?
(a) Get him another glass of wine.
(b) Stop looking so much through his binoculars.
(c) Forget Noemie.
(d) Stop talking during the show.
6. How does Mrs. Bread feel about Claire?
(a) Like she's her own daughter.
(b) Like she's not good enough for her beloved Newman.
(c) Like she's the girl she's been waiting so long to come for Newman.
(d) She doesn't know her well enough to have an opinion.
7. Who renews their friendship as a result of Newman and Claire's engagement?
(a) Claire and Mrs. Tristam.
(b) Valentin and Noemie.
(c) Claire and Valentin.
(d) Valentin and Mrs. Tristam.
8. How does Claire feel about the duel?
(a) She plans on bringing a picnic lunch to watch.
(b) She is very nervous.
(c) She finds it funny.
(d) She makes sure a reporter is there to record everything.
9. Whom does Valentin tell Newman he wants to come visit him?
(b) His mother.
(c) All of these answers are correct.
10. What piece of evidence does Newman show Urbain and his mother after they have all been to Claire's convent?
(a) The note from Claire's father.
(b) The photo Mrs. Bread took.
(c) A letter from Claire.
(d) The bloody dagger.
11. How does Claire seem as her marriage to Newman grows closer?
(a) More and more stressed out.
(b) Questioning her decision.
(c) Angry at him for putting her in this position.
(d) Happy and at peace.
12. Who is Lord Deepmere?
(a) Mrs. Bread's brother-in-law.
(b) A corrupt elected official in Paris.
(c) Newman's long-lost cousin.
(d) A relative of the Bellegardes.
13. Who wants Newman to take her to the Bal Bullier?
(a) Urbain's wife.
(c) Mrs. Tristam.
14. Who arranges for Newman to speak again with Urbain and Madame de Bellegarde after he sees them at Claire's chapel?
(a) Mrs. Tristam.
(b) Mrs. Urbain.
(d) Both Newman and Mrs. Urbain.
15. In Chapter XIII, what does Newman claim his feelings for Claire are?
(a) Deep fondness.
(d) Deep love.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Newman directly say to Urbain and his mother when he confronts them after Claire is at the convent?
2. How does Madame de Bellegarde thank Mrs. Tristam for introducing Claire to Newman?
3. What does Mrs. Bread report Claire's family did to ruin Claire's relationship with Newman?
4. Where does Newman learn that Valentin will not survive his wounds?
5. Who first meets Newman when he has come to speak with Claire's mother and brother, supposedly for the last time?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)