|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter XIII, what does Newman claim his feelings for Claire are?
(a) Deep fondness.
(d) Deep love.
2. Who is Newman's least favorite person of the Bellegarde family?
(a) Madame de Bellegarde.
3. Who wants Newman to take her to the Bal Bullier?
(a) Urbain's wife.
(c) Mrs. Tristam.
4. With whom does Newman go to the opera?
(a) Mrs. Bread.
(b) Mrs. Tristam.
(c) No one.
(d) His sister.
5. Who tells Newman during the opera that she is terribly bored with her husband?
(b) Urbain's wife.
(d) Mrs. Tristam.
6. What advice does Newman give Lord Deepmere on the night of his engagement party?
(a) To listen to Madame de Bellegarde.
(b) To leave town as soon as possible.
(c) To make his move on Noemie.
(d) To stay away from the family.
7. Where does Newman find Noemie and her dad after she has disappeared?
(a) An open air market.
(b) The Occidental Club.
(c) The Louvre.
(d) The Cafe de la Patrie.
8. How does Newman describe Madame de Bellegarde to Mrs. Tristam?
(a) As someone who is easy to ignore in the room.
(b) As an old sinner.
(c) As someone who is deaf and blind.
(d) As a charming older woman.
9. Why do doctors refuse to let Newman see Valentin for a while?
(a) They claim Newman excites him.
(b) They are worried Newman might give him his cold.
(c) They aren't sure what their relationship is.
(d) They have strict orders from the Bellegarde family.
10. What is known about the man Noemie has been seen with?
(a) He is bald.
(b) He is deaf.
(c) He spends money easily.
(d) All of these answers are correct.
11. What does Mrs. Bread report Claire's family did to ruin Claire's relationship with Newman?
(a) Told her she was too ugly for him.
(b) Told her he was having an affair.
(c) The relationship fell apart on its own.
(d) Made her feel wicked.
12. Who tells Newman that Valentin will not survive his wounds?
(a) A friend of Valentin.
(b) Someone in a dream.
(c) A doctor.
(d) No one; Newman can see it for himself.
13. Which of Claire's family members want to talk to Newman at Claire's convent?
(a) Urbain's wife and daughter.
(b) None of them.
(c) Clarie's daughter.
(d) Madame de Bellegarde.
14. What role does Claire have in the church services at her convent?
(a) She cleans the pews.
(b) She leads the service.
(c) She is in the choir.
(d) She passes around the collection plate.
15. Who does Valentin want to come visit him once he is injured from the duel?
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Newman see entering Claire's chapel just as he is leaving?
2. How does Newman learn that Urbain and Madame de Bellegarde are returning to Paris to support Claire's decision to become a nun?
3. What threat does Newman make about telling the family secret?
4. What does Newman ask Valentin to do while they are at the opera?
5. What does Newman promise Mrs. Bread if he marries Claire?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)