|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While visiting Newman, what does Valentin confess to Newman that he is considering doing?
(a) Proposing to Noemie.
(b) Joining a monastery.
(c) Moving to America.
(d) Joining the military.
2. Which child did Claire's family think would ruin the family's good name?
3. Why does Nioche seek out Newman when he returns to Paris?
(a) He wants to sell more of Noemie's paintings.
(b) He believes he found the perfect husband for Noemie.
(c) He is afraid someone is trying to kill him.
(d) He wants to keep giving him French lessons.
4. Where does Newman first see Noemie?
(a) In the Louvre.
(b) At an open-air market.
(c) On a commuter train.
(d) Outside on the sidewalk.
5. What does Noemie do for a living?
(a) Paints replicas of paintings in the Louvre.
(b) Paints scenes from famous events in history.
(c) Paints portraits of people she sees on the streets.
(d) Paints landscapes from famous parts of Europe.
6. What does Newman notice about Noemie when he comes to visit her with Valentin?
(a) She has become incredibly thin.
(b) She is only pretending to work.
(c) She is more talented than other painters.
(d) She has gained a bit of weight.
7. When he is visiting with Newman in his new home, how does Valentin confess that he sees himself?
(a) As going slowly insane.
(b) As wicked.
(c) As one of the better people in Paris.
(d) As unsuccessful.
8. What is Newman's first impression of Claire's mother?
(a) She is much nicer than everyone says.
(b) She has some disease of some kind.
(c) She is clearly suffering from mental illness.
(d) She is very concerned with being proper.
9. Who is Urbain?
(a) Mrs. Tristam's nephew.
(b) Mrs. Tristam's brother-in-law.
(c) Claire's second brother.
(d) A student of Claire's.
10. Whom does Newman allow to choose a new apartment for him?
(a) Mrs. Tristam.
11. Where is Newman from?
12. When Newman comes to visit Claire's home for the first time, what happens?
(a) He has been given a fake address.
(b) There is a fire in the building.
(c) He is told she is not in.
(d) He gets lost.
13. What does Nioche confide in Newman is the biggest struggle for him regarding his daughter?
(a) Her desire to work all the time.
(b) Her great beauty.
(c) How much she reminds him of her mother.
(d) Her bad behavior.
14. What challenge does Mrs. Tristam give to Newman regarding Claire?
(a) To make her finally go through with her divorce.
(b) To make her want to marry again.
(c) To make her realize marriage should really only be between two people.
(d) To help her get over her other fiances.
15. What is Babcock's job?
(a) He is a tennis player.
(b) He is a businessman.
(c) He is a Unitarian minister.
(d) He is an artist.
Short Answer Questions
1. What hotel is Newman staying in when he meets Tristam?
2. How long does Newman wait to pay a visit to Claire after he has spoken to Valentin about his intentions with her?
3. For how long does Claire make Newman promise to wait before bringing up the idea of marriage again?
4. How does Valentin describe Claire to Newman?
5. Nioche describes his former wife as _____________.
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)