|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What topic comes up during Newman's first visit to see Claire?
(a) Newman's business ventures.
(b) How much everyone hates the queen.
(c) Newman's home in San Francisco.
(d) A plague that is taking over the city.
2. What is Newman's full name?
(a) Jackson Christopher Newman Smith III.
(b) The reader never finds out.
(c) Christopher Newman.
(d) Jackson Christopher Newman Smith.
3. What is Babcock's first name?
4. What is the only thing that Claire refuses to do to keep peace in her family?
(a) Give lavish parties.
(b) Be submissive.
(c) Be snobbish.
(d) Marry again.
5. What does Valentin warn Newman about during his visit to Newman's new home?
(a) His new home is cursed.
(b) His apartment is fancy but ugly.
(c) His family is strange.
(d) People might break in to try to steal his fancy things.
6. What does Newman think Claire's family should have to do when it comes to proving Newman's nobility?
(a) Ignore the aspect of nobility.
(b) Prove that he is "not" noble.
(c) Take Newman's word for it.
(d) Make it clear that he's very rich, if not noble.
7. What does Claire threaten to do if Newman brings up the topic of marriage again?
(a) Make him leave.
(b) Kick him.
(c) Call for her bodyguards.
(d) Tell her mother how inappropriate he is being.
8. How does Tristam describe Claire to Newman?
(a) As lovely in every way possible.
(b) As wicked smart but not very wealthy.
(c) As snooty.
(d) As very rich but someone who isn't flashy.
9. When was "The American" originally published in book form?
10. Where does Newman first see Noemie?
(a) Outside on the sidewalk.
(b) In the Louvre.
(c) At an open-air market.
(d) On a commuter train.
11. What does Newman notice about Noemie when he comes to visit her with Valentin?
(a) She has become incredibly thin.
(b) She is more talented than other painters.
(c) She has gained a bit of weight.
(d) She is only pretending to work.
12. Whom does Newman leave behind when he begins his formal tour of Europe?
(b) Only Claire.
(c) Only Noemie.
(d) Only Nioche.
13. Where does Tristam suggest he and Newman go instead of hanging out in the Louvre?
(a) To a nearby cafe.
(b) A nearby park.
(c) Back to Madrid.
(d) The Palais Royal.
14. What does Newman prefer to do instead of going to the club and playing poker with Tristam?
(a) Hanging out and talking to Mrs. Tristam.
(b) Spending time alone.
(c) Feeding pigeons in the park.
(d) Watching the women paint in the Louvre.
15. How does Newman come to view Tristam after a while?
(a) As one of the kindest people he knows.
(b) As his long-lost brother.
(c) As someone in need of medical help for his drinking.
(d) As a bit of a snob.
Short Answer Questions
1. What hotel is Newman staying in when he meets Tristam?
2. When Newman and Claire's mother are left alone for the first time, what does Newman tell her?
3. What is Newman's first impression of Claire's mother?
4. When he is visiting with Newman in his new home, how does Valentin confess that he sees himself?
5. How much does Noemie tell Newman her first painting wlll cost to purchase?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)