|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Newman first meets Urbain, what is he preparing to do?
(a) Host a dinner party.
(b) Attend a ball.
(c) Go for a hike.
(d) Go out fox hunting.
2. Why can't Noemie's father help her get married?
(a) He is a criminal.
(b) He has no money for a dowry.
(c) She is getting too old to be desirable.
(d) He has no connections.
3. Babcock is from __________.
4. What does Valentin warn Newman about during his visit to Newman's new home?
(a) People might break in to try to steal his fancy things.
(b) His new home is cursed.
(c) His apartment is fancy but ugly.
(d) His family is strange.
5. When Valentin is talking with Newman in his new apartment, what job does Valentin currently have?
(a) He works as a businessman.
(b) He is a wine maker.
(c) He works as a painter.
6. What is Newman's first impression of Claire's mother?
(a) She has some disease of some kind.
(b) She is clearly suffering from mental illness.
(c) She is much nicer than everyone says.
(d) She is very concerned with being proper.
7. What does Urbain tell Newman the family still needs to come to terms with?
(a) The fact that Newman is a businessman.
(b) The fact that Newman is so much older than Claire.
(c) The fact that Newman is from Brazil.
(d) The fact that Newman is not good at French.
8. Who informs Newman that Noemie has left her father's home?
(d) Mrs. Tristam.
9. Why does Claire claim she is agreeing to see Newman in Chapter IX?
(a) She likes to bully him around.
(b) She wants to make her mom angry.
(c) She is deeply in love with him.
(d) She promised her brother she would.
10. During the dinner in Chapter XII, what does Urbain talk about quite a bit?
(a) Fine art.
(c) Bull fighting.
11. For how long does Claire make Newman promise to wait before bringing up the idea of marriage again?
(a) Six weeks.
(b) Six months.
(c) Six days.
(d) Six years.
12. What does Newman use, when the novel opens, as a guide for the Louvre?
(a) A private tour.
(b) A librarian.
(c) A tour book.
(d) An audio tour.
13. What does Noemie's father offer to teach Newman when they first meet?
(a) How to play the stock market.
(b) How to play badmitton.
(c) How to paint.
14. Who is Urbain?
(a) A student of Claire's.
(b) Mrs. Tristam's brother-in-law.
(c) Claire's second brother.
(d) Mrs. Tristam's nephew.
15. How long do Babcock and Newman travel together for before they part ways?
(a) Only a few days.
(b) Several weeks.
(c) One full month.
(d) Only a day or so.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Newman come to view Tristam after a while?
2. What does Noemie's father claim would make his daughter happier?
3. What does Nioche confide in Newman is the biggest struggle for him regarding his daughter?
4. How does Newman think Noemie has come to be so wise in the ways of the world?
5. Why does Valentin claim to be horrified at the idea of Newman wanting to marry Claire?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)