|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While visiting Newman, what does Valentin confess to Newman that he is considering doing?
(a) Moving to America.
(b) Joining the military.
(c) Proposing to Noemie.
(d) Joining a monastery.
2. What specific piece of information does Newman give Claire's mother the first time they are alone together?
(a) He is a descendant of English nobility.
(b) He has no money whatsoever.
(c) He received a large inheritance.
(d) How much money he has made.
3. Whom does Newman allow to choose a new apartment for him?
(d) Mrs. Tristam.
4. Babcock is from __________.
5. What reason does Mrs. Tristam give Newman about why Claire will never act against her mother or brother?
(a) Claire is too timid.
(b) It was Claire's father's dying wish that she always obey.
(c) The importance of family.
(d) The family is abusive to her.
6. What does Newman prefer to do instead of going to the club and playing poker with Tristam?
(a) Spending time alone.
(b) Watching the women paint in the Louvre.
(c) Feeding pigeons in the park.
(d) Hanging out and talking to Mrs. Tristam.
7. How much is the final price of Noemie's painting when it is delivered?
(a) 3,000,000 francs.
(b) 300,000 francs.
(c) 30,000 francs.
(d) 3,000 francs.
8. At the end of Chapter VIII, what does Valentin agree to do for Newman?
(a) Everything he can to keep them apart.
(b) Plead his case to Claire.
(c) Convince the newspapers to stop following him around so much.
(d) Help him learn French faster.
9. When Valentin is talking with Newman in his new apartment, what job does Valentin currently have?
(b) He is a wine maker.
(c) He works as a painter.
(d) He works as a businessman.
10. How does Newman come to view Tristam after a while?
(a) As a bit of a snob.
(b) As one of the kindest people he knows.
(c) As his long-lost brother.
(d) As someone in need of medical help for his drinking.
11. How does Claire feel about marriage?
(a) She is eager to do so.
(b) She thinks people should be able to have more than one spouse.
(c) She thinks it is oppressive to women and won't do it on principle.
(d) She has vowed never to remarry.
12. Where is Newman from?
13. How does Newman think Noemie has come to be so wise in the ways of the world?
(a) By spending so much time in the orphanage.
(b) By being born with a gift for reading people.
(c) By watching people in the museum.
(d) By having a hard life.
14. What does Valentin comment on when he comes to visit Newman in his new home?
(a) How large it is.
(b) How expensive it is.
(c) How ugly it is.
(d) How small it is.
15. Who ends up joining Newman, Claire, and Valentin during Newman's first visit to see Claire?
(a) Newman's ex-wife.
(b) Valentin's wife.
(c) Mrs. Tristam.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Newman's first impression of Claire's mother?
2. Why does Claire claim she is agreeing to see Newman in Chapter IX?
3. What makes Newman uncomfortable during a dinner in Chapter XII with the Bellegardes?
4. What does Claire threaten to do if Newman brings up the topic of marriage again?
5. How much does Noemie tell Newman her first painting wlll cost to purchase?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)