|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters XI and XII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Claire de Bellegarde's history of marriage?
(a) She is a widow.
(b) She has been engaged three times but never married.
(c) She is still married, but a divorce is inevitable.
(d) She has never been engaged or married.
2. Where does Tristam suggest he and Newman go instead of hanging out in the Louvre?
(a) To a nearby cafe.
(b) The Palais Royal.
(c) Back to Madrid.
(d) A nearby park.
3. What reason does Mrs. Tristam give Newman about why Claire will never act against her mother or brother?
(a) The family is abusive to her.
(b) It was Claire's father's dying wish that she always obey.
(c) Claire is too timid.
(d) The importance of family.
4. What hotel is Newman staying in when he meets Tristam?
(a) The Ritz.
(b) The Hyatt.
(c) Just a no-name place.
(d) The Grand Hotel.
5. How does Claire feel about marriage?
(a) She thinks people should be able to have more than one spouse.
(b) She has vowed never to remarry.
(c) She is eager to do so.
(d) She thinks it is oppressive to women and won't do it on principle.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Newman described in the opening chapter of "The American"?
2. Who does Mrs. Tristam tell Newman is persecuting Claire?
3. Where do Tom Tristam and Newman know each other from?
4. What challenge does Mrs. Tristam give to Newman regarding Claire?
5. How does Valentin respond to Newman's observation that Valentin does nothing but enjoy his leisure?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)