|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hofstadter describe Wendell Phillips's political affiliation?
2. What was the Constitution based upon?
(a) Greek and Roman political philosophy.
(b) European tradition mixed with revolutionary philosophy.
(c) Fragments of English political philosophy.
(d) Experience and observation.
3. In which state was Abraham Lincoln raised?
4. What concern did Northern laborers have about slavery?
(a) An increase in slave states would drive the price of goods up.
(b) They feared the rise of white slavery.
(c) They could not compete with free labor.
(d) Slavery was morally wrong.
5. With what movement is William Lloyd Garrison associated?
(a) The progressive movement.
(b) The abolitionist movement.
(c) The socialist movement.
(d) The democratic movement.
6. How did the Founders design ruling institutions?
(a) According to the natural order.
(b) Based on the model of the Roman Empire.
(c) According to tradition.
(d) To fit man's natural inclinations.
7. Who won the presidential election in 1824?
(a) Henry Clay.
(b) John Quincy Adams.
(c) Andrew Jackson.
(d) William Crawford.
8. Which groups of people did the Southwesterners wish to give voting rights?
(a) Property owners.
(b) Non-white males.
(c) All soldiers.
(d) Non-property owners.
9. What did John C. Calhoun believe capitalism would produce?
(a) Exploitation of the poor.
(b) Survival of the fittest.
(c) A stronger economy.
(d) Political power.
10. What did the Emancipation Proclamation not prohibit?
(a) Slavery outside the South.
(b) New slaves from being brought into America.
(c) Slavery in the South.
(d) Owners from reclaiming their slaves from the North.
11. To what does Hofstadter attribute the failure of John C. Calhoun's political career?
(a) His views of slavery.
(b) His political pamphlets.
(c) His odd personality.
(d) His outspoken nature.
12. How did Andrew Jackson ensure that his policies would continue to be supported after he left office?
(a) He placed key men in his sucessor's cabinet.
(b) He had the heart of the American people.
(c) By appointing five Supreme Court justices.
(d) By issuing long-term legislation.
13. Who were the Southwesterners?
(a) A group of politicians from Kentucky and Tennessee
(b) A group of investors led by Andrew Jackson.
(c) One of Andrew Jackson's military regiments
(d) Andrew Jackson's constituents from Kentucky and Tennessee.
14. What did the Founders believe about man?
(a) That he will succeed only when free.
(b) That he is inherently good.
(c) That he is evil and selfish.
(d) That he must be led to make moral and correct decisions.
15. According to John C. Calhoun, what created equality among white Americans?
(a) Universal education.
(b) The relocation of African-Americans.
(d) The submission of African-Americans.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to John C. Calhoun, what was the safest way for blacks and whites to interact?
2. What lifestyle did Thomas Jefferson abhor?
3. What position did John C. Calhoun hold in Andrew Jackson's cabinet?
4. Who won the presidential election in 1832?
5. How did Thomas Jefferson feel about property rights?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)