|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which institution was responsible for loaning large sums of money in the 1820s?
(a) The Bank of the Congress.
(b) The Second Bank of the United States.
(c) The Bank of North America.
(d) The First Bank of the United States.
2. How does Hofstadter describe Thomas Jefferson's foreign policy?
(a) High Representative.
3. Who were the Southwesterners?
(a) A group of politicians from Kentucky and Tennessee
(b) One of Andrew Jackson's military regiments
(c) A group of investors led by Andrew Jackson.
(d) Andrew Jackson's constituents from Kentucky and Tennessee.
4. According to the Founders, which group of people should have the most say in the government?
(b) The Congress.
(c) Land owners.
(d) Men over the age of 21.
5. What was Wendell Phillips's main goal?
(a) To convince people there was a practical end to slavery.
(b) To end slavery through legal channels.
(c) To protect slaves who had run away from their owners.
(d) To end slavery through any means possible.
6. How did Andrew Jackson view America's social order?
(a) Stiffled by government regulation.
(b) As a blank page, ready to be illustrated.
(c) As chaotic and untamed.
(d) As competitive and egalitarian.
7. What position did John C. Calhoun hold in Andrew Jackson's cabinet?
(a) Secretary of War.
(b) Secretary of State.
(c) Attorney General.
8. Which group of Americans did Thomas Jefferson believe should have the most voting power?
(c) Farmers and land owners.
(d) Industry owners.
9. How did Wendell Phillips view the culture of the South?
(a) As a playground for greedy capitalists.
(b) As a bourgeois, immoral society.
(c) As the bulwark of modern society.
(d) As a feudal civilization.
10. What concern did Abraham Lincoln have about white laborers?
(a) They would revolt.
(b) They could not compete with slave labor.
(c) They would leave for Canada.
(d) Poor working conditions.
11. With what political party was Thomas Jefferson associated?
(a) The Federalists.
(b) The Whigs.
(c) The Democratic-Republicans.
(d) The Progressive Party.
12. What was the Emancipation Proclamation?
(a) The document that outlawed slavery in the Confederate States.
(b) An amendment to the U.S. Constitution.
(c) A speech about the state of the Union economy.
(d) The document that freed all slaves in the United States.
13. Why does Hofstadter consider Thomas Jefferson to be an important figure in American history?
(a) His philosophies shaped many foundational American ideals.
(b) His economic theories were far beyond his time.
(c) He was the first aristocrat to fight for the rights of commoners.
(d) His leadership united the Congressional Congress.
14. Why did Wendell Phillips advocate secession from the South?
(a) To end the war.
(b) To separate the Union from Southern immorality.
(c) To prevent slavery from entering the North.
(d) To damage the Southern economy.
15. From which ancient philosophers did the Founders draw ideas?
(a) Aristotle and Cicero.
(b) Epicurus and Plato.
(c) Diogenes and Socrates.
(d) Plato and Socrates.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Founders design the Constitution to protect?
2. Which groups of people did the Southwesterners wish to give voting rights?
3. What did John C. Calhoun believe capitalism would produce?
4. With what class was Andrew Jackson associated?
5. What practice among Northern factories did John C. Calhoun condemn?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)