|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the Founders, what could use private vices to produce public benefits?
(a) Political parties.
(b) Political platforms.
(c) Economic markets.
(d) The judicial system.
2. How did Thomas Jefferson secure freedom of religion in his home state?
(a) By implementing the Freedom of Religion Act.
(b) By disestablishing the Anglican Church.
(c) By organizing non-violent protests.
(d) Through reform legislature.
3. On the American frontier, how was social hierarchy gained?
(a) Through family connections and marriage.
(b) Through political power.
(c) Through military and financial success.
(d) Through invention and industry.
4. How does Hofstadter describe Thomas Jefferson's foreign policy?
(a) High Representative.
5. What did the recolonization society want Abraham Lincoln to do?
(a) Free the children of current slaves.
(b) Relocate slaves to Africa.
(c) Relocate slaves to Mexico.
(d) Present their program to Congress as an Act.
6. What was the Emancipation Proclamation?
(a) A speech about the state of the Union economy.
(b) The document that freed all slaves in the United States.
(c) The document that outlawed slavery in the Confederate States.
(d) An amendment to the U.S. Constitution.
7. What was Wendell Phillips's main goal?
(a) To convince people there was a practical end to slavery.
(b) To end slavery through legal channels.
(c) To end slavery through any means possible.
(d) To protect slaves who had run away from their owners.
8. According to John C. Calhoun, what was the safest way for blacks and whites to interact?
(a) From different countries.
(b) Through slavery.
(c) As equals.
(d) In a competitive market.
9. According to Hofstadter, how is Andrew Jackson often depicted?
(a) As an arrogant aristocrat.
(b) As an opponent of aristocratic privilege.
(c) As an aggressive proponent for military conquest.
(d) As one of the most influential men in history.
10. How many Southern states had seceded before Abraham Lincoln took office?
11. Who were the Southwesterners?
(a) Andrew Jackson's constituents from Kentucky and Tennessee.
(b) A group of investors led by Andrew Jackson.
(c) A group of politicians from Kentucky and Tennessee
(d) One of Andrew Jackson's military regiments
12. Which groups of people did the Southwesterners wish to give voting rights?
(a) All soldiers.
(b) Property owners.
(c) Non-property owners.
(d) Non-white males.
13. How does Hofstadter describe Abraham Lincoln's concern over the issue of slavery in America?
14. How does Hofstadter describe Andrew Jackson's economic policies?
(c) Corporate capitalism.
15. With what movement is Wendell Phillips associated?
(a) The progressive movement.
(b) The socialist movement.
(c) The democratic movement.
(d) The abolitionist movement.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Hofstadter, which person helped the abolitionist movement gain legitimacy?
2. What practice among Northern factories did John C. Calhoun condemn?
3. How did Andrew Jackson ensure that his policies would continue to be supported after he left office?
4. With what class were most of the Founders associated?
5. What form of oppression did Wendell Phillips condemn in the North?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)