|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what political party was Alexander Hamilton associated?
(a) The Progressive Party.
(b) The Democratic-Republicans.
(c) The Federalists.
(d) The Whigs.
2. Which state did Andrew Jackson threaten to conquer in Chapter 4?
(d) South Carolina.
3. Which politicians from Chapter 3 supported a National Bank?
(a) Andrew Jackson and William Crawford.
(b) Andrew Jackson and Henry Clay.
(c) John Quincy Adams and William Crawford.
(d) John Quincy Adams and Henry Clay.
4. What practice among Northern factories did John C. Calhoun condemn?
(a) Labor unions.
(b) Wage slavery.
(d) The employment of women.
5. How did John C. Calhoun believe the North was attempting to gain political control over new states?
(a) By building railroads to the North.
(b) By building banks in the new states.
(c) By outlawing slavery in new states.
(d) Through bribery and political coercion.
6. How did Thomas Jefferson secure freedom of religion in his home state?
(a) Through reform legislature.
(b) By organizing non-violent protests.
(c) By disestablishing the Anglican Church.
(d) By implementing the Freedom of Religion Act.
7. How does Hofstadter describe Thomas Jefferson's foreign policy?
(d) High Representative.
8. What did the Southwesterners want Andrew Jackson to do?
(a) Create a private banking system.
(b) Run for president of the United States.
(c) Oppose the bank and force states to provide debt relief.
(d) Take Texas for the United States.
9. What did Wendell Phillips want to prevent people from becoming?
10. What did the Emancipation Proclamation not prohibit?
(a) Slavery in the South.
(b) New slaves from being brought into America.
(c) Slavery outside the South.
(d) Owners from reclaiming their slaves from the North.
11. How did the Founders separate power at the Federal level?
(a) Between the members of the Presidential Cabinet.
(b) Between Congress and the President.
(c) Between the Pentagon, the Congress, and the President.
(d) Between presidents, legislators, and judges.
12. What concern did Abraham Lincoln have about white laborers?
(a) Poor working conditions.
(b) They could not compete with slave labor.
(c) They would leave for Canada.
(d) They would revolt.
13. What type of politician was Thomas Jefferson?
14. Why did Abraham Lincoln prefer to read aloud?
(a) To sound out new words.
(b) To hear his inflection.
(c) To hone his oratory skills.
(d) To ease his stuttering.
15. What type of lifestyle did Thomas Jefferson promote?
Short Answer Questions
1. In which state was Abraham Lincoln raised?
2. From which ancient philosophers did the Founders draw ideas?
3. What type of balance were the Founders attempting to create?
4. To what does Hofstadter attribute the failure of John C. Calhoun's political career?
5. At what age did Abraham Lincoln become Speaker of the House in Illinois?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)