|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12, Franklin D. Roosevelt: The Patrician as Opportunist.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does Hofstadter attribute the failure of John C. Calhoun's political career?
(a) His political pamphlets.
(b) His odd personality.
(c) His outspoken nature.
(d) His views of slavery.
2. How did John C. Calhoun believe the North was attempting to gain political control over new states?
(a) Through bribery and political coercion.
(b) By outlawing slavery in new states.
(c) By building banks in the new states.
(d) By building railroads to the North.
3. According to Hofstadter, why did Abraham Lincoln issue the Emancipation Proclamation?
(a) To undermine the economy of the South.
(b) Because slavery was immoral.
(c) Slave labor was driving the price of goods up.
(d) He feared the rise of white slavery.
4. Who won the presidential election in 1916?
(a) William Howard Taft.
(b) Theodore Roosevelt.
(c) Warren G. Harding.
(d) Woodrow Wilson.
5. How does Hofstadter view Grover Cleveland's presidency?
(a) He was the greatest politician of the late 19th century.
(b) His economic theories were far beyond his time.
(c) He led the country to become a world power.
(d) He was the worst politician of the late 19th century.
Short Answer Questions
1. What famous treaty was created at the end of World War I?
2. How did Thomas Jefferson secure freedom of religion in his home state?
3. With which political group did Theodore Roosevelt associate?
4. According to Hofstadter, why did the League of Nations fail?
5. Which state did Andrew Jackson threaten to conquer in Chapter 4?
This section contains 298 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)