|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8, William Jennings Bryan: The Democrat as Revivalist.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hofstadter describe Abraham Lincoln's concern over the issue of slavery in America?
2. How many Southern states had seceded before Abraham Lincoln took office?
3. Why were the Founders hesitant to establish a new monarchy?
(a) Too many different philosophies existed to choose one man.
(b) One man could not run a country effectively.
(c) A monarch rules in his own interests.
(d) There was no royal bloodline from which to choose a King.
4. According to Hofstadter, what type of politician was Abraham Lincoln?
(b) Moderate conservative.
(c) Strong conservative.
5. With whose political theory did Thomas Jefferson agree?
(a) Thomas Paine.
(b) Edmund Burke.
(c) Joseph Priestley.
(d) John Locke.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Emancipation Proclamation not prohibit?
2. To what does Hofstadter attribute the failure of John C. Calhoun's political career?
3. How did Thomas Jefferson secure freedom of religion in his home state?
4. Which movement advocated a philosophy of natural rights and human equality?
5. What did Wendell Phillips want to prevent people from becoming?
This section contains 234 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)