|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8, William Jennings Bryan: The Democrat as Revivalist.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was John C. Calhoun forced to resign from Andrew Jackson's cabinet?
(a) He opposed Jackson's "Tariff of Abominations."
(b) He voiced his opinion of slavery in public.
(c) He embezzled money from the U.S. Treasury.
(d) He slandered Jackson in a speech to the press.
2. Who were William Jennings Bryan's constituents?
(a) The farming people of the West and South.
(b) The wealthy elite of the Northeast.
(c) The frontiersmen of the West.
(d) The industrialists of the North.
3. What concern did Abraham Lincoln have about white laborers?
(a) Poor working conditions.
(b) They could not compete with slave labor.
(c) They would revolt.
(d) They would leave for Canada.
4. What class of people are usually attracted to democracy?
(a) The aristocracy.
(b) The working class.
(d) The middle class.
5. What did John C. Calhoun believe capitalism would produce?
(a) Survival of the fittest.
(b) Political power.
(c) Exploitation of the poor.
(d) A stronger economy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What position did John C. Calhoun hold in South Carolina?
2. Where did Thomas Jefferson believe most of the government's power should lie?
3. Which groups of people did the Southwesterners wish to give voting rights?
4. Why were the Founders willing to let selfish men follow their own interests?
5. Which state did Andrew Jackson threaten to conquer in Chapter 4?
This section contains 258 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)