|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "A - Big Bang" of The America Play, Lucy's son explains how his father came where?
2. Where was the location of the theatre in which Abraham Lincoln was shot?
3. What does Lucy's son suddenly do when a gunshot is heard in "A - Big Bang" of The America Play?
4. In "E - Spadework" of The America Play, Lucy finishes a game of naming what?
5. In "A - Big Bang" of The America Play, Lucy's son claims that if they could just find what, they would know the truth?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Lesser Known gain success in his impersonations, according to the Foundling Father in The America Play, "Act One: Lincoln Act"?
2. What does the play on words of "Foundling Father" imply in The America Play?
3. What conversation do Lucy and Brazil share of the Lesser Known in The America Play, "E - Spadework"?
4. How does the objective of the Foundling Father relate to other protagonists in the collection?
5. In scene "B" of "Devotees in the Garden of Love," how and what does Madame Odelia Pandahr describe?
6. What role does race play in "Devotees in the Garden of Love"?
7. What is introduced in the "Overture" of "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World"?
8. What play does the Foundling Father introduce in The America Play, "B - Echo"? What takes place?
9. Whose death is announced in "Panel II: First Chorus" of "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World"?
10. What is evoked in the gunshots in The America Play, "Act One: Lincoln Act"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the staging, setting, and imagery in "Betting on the Dust Commander." In past productions of the work, how is the set and lighting described? What notes does the playwright give?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the dramatic structure of the Classical Greek theatre and historical references in "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World." Where and when did the traveling electric chair originate?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolic elements of The America Play and their relationship to one another. How does Abraham Lincoln correlate to the Great Hole of History? Why does the author choose to use this imagery?
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)