|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Miss Miss describes in "Pickling" how Charles once did what?
2. Conversation amongst the characters in the chorus of "Panel II: First Chorus" of "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World" refer to a time when?
3. Who assumed the American Presidency after the assassination of Abraham Lincoln?
4. In "C - Archaeology" of The America Play, Lucy's son comments that the hole they're digging is, in fact, what?
5. What are the names of the two combatants in scene "B" of "Devotees in the Garden of Love"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are linear and stream-of-consciousness narratives juxtaposed in "Pickling"?
2. What play does the Foundling Father introduce in The America Play, "B - Echo"? What takes place?
3. What story does Brazil relate to the audience in The America Play, "A - Big Bang"?
4. What allusion is implied in the arrival of the winner's head, presented to George on a platter in "Devotees in the Garden of Love"?
5. What conversation do Lucy and Brazil share of the Lesser Known in The America Play, "E - Spadework"?
6. How does Parks intertwine linear narrative and metaphor in The America Play?
7. What does the play on words of "Foundling Father" imply in The America Play?
8. What are Lily and George doing in the opening of "Devotees in the Garden of Love"?
9. What central theme or moral statement emerges in the ending of "Pickling"?
10. Discuss the use of archetypes in "Devotees in the Garden of Love." How does this affect the characters' actions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the staging, setting, and imagery in "Betting on the Dust Commander." In past productions of the work, how is the set and lighting described? What notes does the playwright give?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss and describe the life and career of playwright Suzan-Lori Parks. When did Parks begin writing? What led her to the world of drama?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the dramatic structure of the Classical Greek theatre and historical references in "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World." Where and when did the traveling electric chair originate?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)