|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is practicing French in scene "A" of "Devotees in the Garden of Love"?
2. In "Final Chorus" of "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World," characters interject the comment that "the page" is both what?
3. What name does George state she would rather have been called in "Devotees in the Garden of Love"?
4. In scene "C" of "Devotees in the Garden of Love," who has been taking items from the hope chest?
5. The Lesser Known left his family to pursue an occupation as what in The America Play?
Short Essay Questions
1. What symbols of violence are central in "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World"?
2. What is introduced in the "Overture" of "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World"?
3. What structural format does "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World" follow?
4. What is Lucy's response when Brazil asks whether she hears his father in The America Play, "C - Archaeology"? What is his reply?
5. What allusion is implied in the arrival of the winner's head, presented to George on a platter in "Devotees in the Garden of Love"?
6. What is described about Miss Miss's mother in "Pickling"?
7. How did the Lesser Known gain success in his impersonations, according to the Foundling Father in The America Play, "Act One: Lincoln Act"?
8. What is evoked in the gunshots in The America Play, "Act One: Lincoln Act"?
9. What story does Brazil relate to the audience in The America Play, "A - Big Bang"?
10. What are Lucy and Brazil doing in The America Play, "A - Big Bang"? Where are they?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the themes, characters and actions in the short play "Third Kingdom." What is the setting of this play?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the characters of Mr. and Mrs. Sergeant Smith in "Greeks (or the Slugs)." What is the overall objective of each character? What actions are taken in the first two scenes?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of assimilation depicted in "Greeks (or the Slugs)." What symbols represent assimilation in the narrative?
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)