|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the "Overture" of "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World," how many floors do the characters say the man fell?
2. In "C - Archaeology" of The America Play, Lucy's son comments that the hole they're digging is, in fact, what?
3. When does Miss Miss remember Charles coming by to eat in "Pickling"?
4. The Lesser Known left his family to pursue an occupation as what in The America Play?
5. What can be seen as a metaphoric representation of the essentially empty, idealized image of Lincoln inhabited and clung to by the Foundling Father and shot by the would-be assassins in The American Play?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conversation do Lucy and Brazil share of the Lesser Known in The America Play, "E - Spadework"?
2. How did the Lesser Known gain success in his impersonations, according to the Foundling Father in The America Play, "Act One: Lincoln Act"?
3. What action takes place on stage as the Foundling Father gives his monologue in The America Play, "Act One: Lincoln Act"?
4. What symbols of violence are central in "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World"?
5. In what ways does Madame Odelia Pandahr build suspense in scene "D" of "Devotees in the Garden of Love"?
6. How are linear and stream-of-consciousness narratives juxtaposed in "Pickling"?
7. What conversation do Black Man and Black Woman share in "Panel I: Thou Holy Ghost" of "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World"?
8. What are Lucy and Brazil doing in The America Play, "A - Big Bang"? Where are they?
9. What is described about Miss Miss's mother in "Pickling"?
10. How does the term "pickling" apply to the play "Pickling"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify and analyze the central characters, themes, symbols and structural elements in "Open House." What is the author's overall statement in Aretha's metaphor?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the themes, imagery, and symbolism in "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World." How does the symbolism reflect the theme of identity in the play?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the characters of Mare and Lucius in "Betting on the Dust Commander" as well as the literary element of repetition. What is the purpose of repetition in drama?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)