|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Conversation amongst the characters in the chorus of "Panel II: First Chorus" of "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World" refer to a time when?
2. Lucy's son claims in "A - Big Bang" of The America Play that his father was a natural what?
3. What is a narrative technique wherein events are portrayed out of chronological order?
4. "Pickling" is what genre of drama?
5. What does Lucy's son claim his father used to visit when he was back east in "A - Big Bang" of The America Play?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the term "pickling" apply to the play "Pickling"?
2. What role does race play in "Devotees in the Garden of Love"?
3. What allusion is implied in the arrival of the winner's head, presented to George on a platter in "Devotees in the Garden of Love"?
4. What does the play on words of "Foundling Father" imply in The America Play?
5. Discuss the use of archetypes in "Devotees in the Garden of Love." How does this affect the characters' actions?
6. What are Lucy and Brazil doing in The America Play, "A - Big Bang"? Where are they?
7. What is evoked in the gunshots in The America Play, "Act One: Lincoln Act"?
8. What conversation do Black Man and Black Woman share in "Panel I: Thou Holy Ghost" of "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World"?
9. What is suggested about Miss Miss's mother (and African Americans in the past) by her descriptions in "Pickling"?
10. What play does the Foundling Father introduce in The America Play, "B - Echo"? What takes place?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the themes, characters and actions in the short play "Third Kingdom." What is the setting of this play?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the characters of Mare and Lucius in "Betting on the Dust Commander" as well as the literary element of repetition. What is the purpose of repetition in drama?
Essay Topic 3
Identify and analyze the central characters, themes, symbols and structural elements in "Open House." What is the author's overall statement in Aretha's metaphor?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)