|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Miss Miss describes in "Pickling" how Charles once did what?
2. The chorus in the "Overture" of "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World" suggest who should listen to the story of what happened, write it down and preserve it?
3. Who assumed the American Presidency after the assassination of Abraham Lincoln?
4. In "A - Big Bang" of The America Play, Lucy's son explains how his father came where?
5. What was the name of the Lesser Known's wife in The America Play?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conversation do Black Man and Black Woman share in "Panel I: Thou Holy Ghost" of "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World"?
2. Whose death is announced in "Panel II: First Chorus" of "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World"?
3. What is suggested about Miss Miss's mother (and African Americans in the past) by her descriptions in "Pickling"?
4. Discuss the use of archetypes in "Devotees in the Garden of Love." How does this affect the characters' actions?
5. What play does the Foundling Father introduce in The America Play, "B - Echo"? What takes place?
6. What are Lily and George doing in the opening of "Devotees in the Garden of Love"?
7. How does the objective of the Foundling Father relate to other protagonists in the collection?
8. How did the Lesser Known gain success in his impersonations, according to the Foundling Father in The America Play, "Act One: Lincoln Act"?
9. What does the play on words of "Foundling Father" imply in The America Play?
10. What story does Brazil relate to the audience in The America Play, "A - Big Bang"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbolic elements of The America Play and their relationship to one another. How does Abraham Lincoln correlate to the Great Hole of History? Why does the author choose to use this imagery?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the staging, setting, and imagery in "Betting on the Dust Commander." In past productions of the work, how is the set and lighting described? What notes does the playwright give?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of assimilation depicted in "Greeks (or the Slugs)." What symbols represent assimilation in the narrative?
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)