|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By what title does the Foundling Father refer to the impersonator of Abraham Lincoln in The America Play?
2. What does one of the characters call out to be taken off him in "Panel II: First Chorus" of "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World"?
3. How are Charles' arms described in "Pickling"?
4. Conversation amongst the characters in the chorus of "Panel II: First Chorus" of "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World" refer to a time when?
5. What is ripped in two in the song by Miss Miss in "Pickling"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Lily and George doing in the opening of "Devotees in the Garden of Love"?
2. What structural format does "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World" follow?
3. What is Lucy's response when Brazil asks whether she hears his father in The America Play, "C - Archaeology"? What is his reply?
4. What is introduced in the "Overture" of "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World"?
5. What play does the Foundling Father introduce in The America Play, "B - Echo"? What takes place?
6. What has happened to Black Man in "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World," "Panel III: Thuh Lonesome 3Some"?
7. What story does Brazil relate to the audience in The America Play, "A - Big Bang"?
8. Discuss the use of archetypes in "Devotees in the Garden of Love." How does this affect the characters' actions?
9. What figures and characters are introduced by the Foundling Father in The America Play, "Act One: Lincoln Act"?
10. What is suggested about Miss Miss's mother (and African Americans in the past) by her descriptions in "Pickling"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the characters of Mare and Lucius in "Betting on the Dust Commander" as well as the literary element of repetition. What is the purpose of repetition in drama?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of assimilation depicted in "Greeks (or the Slugs)." What symbols represent assimilation in the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the characters of Mr. and Mrs. Sergeant Smith in "Greeks (or the Slugs)." What is the overall objective of each character? What actions are taken in the first two scenes?
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)