|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the location of the theatre in which Abraham Lincoln was shot?
2. In the "Overture" of "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World," the characters suggest that the black man moved his hands when the world was what?
3. When does Miss Miss remember Charles coming by to eat in "Pickling"?
4. In scene "C" of "Devotees in the Garden of Love," who has been taking items from the hope chest?
5. What word, used by George in "Devotees in the Garden of Love" means profound dedication or consecration?
Short Essay Questions
1. What structural format does "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World" follow?
2. What action takes place on stage as the Foundling Father gives his monologue in The America Play, "Act One: Lincoln Act"?
3. What figures and characters are introduced by the Foundling Father in The America Play, "Act One: Lincoln Act"?
4. What central theme or moral statement emerges in the ending of "Pickling"?
5. What conversation do Lucy and Brazil share of the Lesser Known in The America Play, "E - Spadework"?
6. What does the play on words of "Foundling Father" imply in The America Play?
7. What is Lucy's response when Brazil asks whether she hears his father in The America Play, "C - Archaeology"? What is his reply?
8. What conversation do Black Man and Black Woman share in "Panel I: Thou Holy Ghost" of "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World"?
9. In scene "B" of "Devotees in the Garden of Love," how and what does Madame Odelia Pandahr describe?
10. What has happened to Black Man in "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World," "Panel III: Thuh Lonesome 3Some"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the characters of Mare and Lucius in "Betting on the Dust Commander" as well as the literary element of repetition. What is the purpose of repetition in drama?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the characters of Mr. and Mrs. Sergeant Smith in "Greeks (or the Slugs)." What is the overall objective of each character? What actions are taken in the first two scenes?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the philosophies and techniques presented in "Possession" and "Elements of Style." What elements of form dictate content, according to the author?
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)