|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is watching the battle in scene "B" of "Devotees in the Garden of Love"?
2. The chorus in the "Overture" of "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World" suggest who should listen to the story of what happened, write it down and preserve it?
3. How many characters are in "Pickling"?
4. What does Black Man want Black Woman to dig in "Panel I: Thou Holy Ghost" of "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World"?
5. What are the fighters battling for in scene "B" of "Devotees in the Garden of Love"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is evoked in the gunshots in The America Play, "Act One: Lincoln Act"?
2. What conversation do Black Man and Black Woman share in "Panel I: Thou Holy Ghost" of "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World"?
3. What are Lucy and Brazil doing in The America Play, "A - Big Bang"? Where are they?
4. What central theme or moral statement emerges in the ending of "Pickling"?
5. What is Lucy's response when Brazil asks whether she hears his father in The America Play, "C - Archaeology"? What is his reply?
6. What conversation do Lucy and Brazil share of the Lesser Known in The America Play, "E - Spadework"?
7. What symbols of violence are central in "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World"?
8. How does the objective of the Foundling Father relate to other protagonists in the collection?
9. What action takes place on stage as the Foundling Father gives his monologue in The America Play, "Act One: Lincoln Act"?
10. What story does Brazil relate to the audience in The America Play, "A - Big Bang"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the characters of Mare and Lucius in "Betting on the Dust Commander" as well as the literary element of repetition. What is the purpose of repetition in drama?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the staging, setting, and imagery in "Betting on the Dust Commander." In past productions of the work, how is the set and lighting described? What notes does the playwright give?
Essay Topic 3
Identify and analyze the central characters, themes, symbols and structural elements in "Open House." What is the author's overall statement in Aretha's metaphor?
This section contains 1,042 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)