|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Miss Miss remember Charles coming by to eat in "Pickling"?
2. What play was Abraham Lincoln watching when he was assassinated?
3. What does Lucy's son confess, weeping, in the end of "C - Archaeology" of The America Play?
4. The Lesser Known left his family to pursue an occupation as what in The America Play?
5. Who faces a forthcoming marriage in scene "A" of "Devotees in the Garden of Love"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What figures and characters are introduced by the Foundling Father in The America Play, "Act One: Lincoln Act"?
2. What symbols of violence are central in "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World"?
3. How does the objective of the Foundling Father relate to other protagonists in the collection?
4. Discuss the use of archetypes in "Devotees in the Garden of Love." How does this affect the characters' actions?
5. What central theme or moral statement emerges in the ending of "Pickling"?
6. What is introduced in the "Overture" of "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World"?
7. In what ways does Madame Odelia Pandahr build suspense in scene "D" of "Devotees in the Garden of Love"?
8. What play does the Foundling Father introduce in The America Play, "B - Echo"? What takes place?
9. What are Lucy and Brazil doing in The America Play, "A - Big Bang"? Where are they?
10. What conversation do Lucy and Brazil share of the Lesser Known in The America Play, "E - Spadework"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss postmodernism in literature and the role of the "other," and analyze how these terms apply to "An Equation for Black People Onstage" and the philosophies of Suzan-Lori Parks.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the symbolic elements of The America Play and their relationship to one another. How does Abraham Lincoln correlate to the Great Hole of History? Why does the author choose to use this imagery?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the original production of "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World." What successes has the play achieved? What criticism did the play meet and why?
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)