|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who assumed the American Presidency after the assassination of Abraham Lincoln?
2. In "Panel I: Thou Holy Ghost" of "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World," Black Man tells Black Woman he's been accused of what?
3. Charles lived next door to whom in "Pickling"?
4. The Lesser Known's new profession had little success until he began to offer people the opportunity to do what?
5. What sound concludes "Act One: Lincoln Act" of The America Play?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are linear and stream-of-consciousness narratives juxtaposed in "Pickling"?
2. What are Lily and George doing in the opening of "Devotees in the Garden of Love"?
3. In scene "B" of "Devotees in the Garden of Love," how and what does Madame Odelia Pandahr describe?
4. What symbols of violence are central in "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World"?
5. What figures and characters are introduced by the Foundling Father in The America Play, "Act One: Lincoln Act"?
6. How did the Lesser Known gain success in his impersonations, according to the Foundling Father in The America Play, "Act One: Lincoln Act"?
7. With what song and memories does Miss Miss open the play "Pickling"?
8. What structural format does "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World" follow?
9. What play does the Foundling Father introduce in The America Play, "B - Echo"? What takes place?
10. Discuss the use of archetypes in "Devotees in the Garden of Love." How does this affect the characters' actions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the characters of Mare and Lucius in "Betting on the Dust Commander" as well as the literary element of repetition. What is the purpose of repetition in drama?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the origins, history, and stylistic elements of radio dramas and analyze the character of Miss Miss in "Pickling." How many characters comprise the cast?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss postmodernism in literature and the role of the "other," and analyze how these terms apply to "An Equation for Black People Onstage" and the philosophies of Suzan-Lori Parks.
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)