|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "E - Spadework" of The America Play, Lucy finishes a game of naming what?
2. What does Lucy's son suddenly do when a gunshot is heard in "A - Big Bang" of The America Play?
3. Abraham Lincoln was which in the number of American Presidents?
4. In "B - Echo" of The America Play, the Foundling Father introduces a scene from what play?
5. In scene "C" of "Devotees in the Garden of Love," Lily refers to how important it used to be for a bride to have what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is evoked in the gunshots in The America Play, "Act One: Lincoln Act"?
2. What is described about Miss Miss's mother in "Pickling"?
3. In scene "B" of "Devotees in the Garden of Love," how and what does Madame Odelia Pandahr describe?
4. In what ways does Madame Odelia Pandahr build suspense in scene "D" of "Devotees in the Garden of Love"?
5. How are linear and stream-of-consciousness narratives juxtaposed in "Pickling"?
6. How does the objective of the Foundling Father relate to other protagonists in the collection?
7. What has happened to Black Man in "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World," "Panel III: Thuh Lonesome 3Some"?
8. What does the play on words of "Foundling Father" imply in The America Play?
9. What is introduced in the "Overture" of "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World"?
10. How does Parks intertwine linear narrative and metaphor in The America Play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the relationship between Icarus and Mr. Sergeant Smith in "Greeks (or the Slugs)." In what ways are these tragic heroes similar?
Essay Topic 2
Define and analyze metaphor and symbolism in "Snails." What can the cockroach and Naturalist be seen as symbols of in society? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of assimilation depicted in "Greeks (or the Slugs)." What symbols represent assimilation in the narrative?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)