|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Miss Miss describes in "Pickling" how Charles once did what?
2. Conversation amongst the characters in the chorus of "Panel II: First Chorus" of "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World" refer to a time when?
3. In scene "C" of "Devotees in the Garden of Love," who has been taking items from the hope chest?
4. In "E - Spadework" of The America Play, Lucy finishes a game of naming what?
5. What possession of Miss Miss' does she wonder what happened to in "Pickling"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the objective of the Foundling Father relate to other protagonists in the collection?
2. How does Parks intertwine linear narrative and metaphor in The America Play?
3. What action takes place on stage as the Foundling Father gives his monologue in The America Play, "Act One: Lincoln Act"?
4. What figures and characters are introduced by the Foundling Father in The America Play, "Act One: Lincoln Act"?
5. In scene "B" of "Devotees in the Garden of Love," how and what does Madame Odelia Pandahr describe?
6. In what ways does Madame Odelia Pandahr build suspense in scene "D" of "Devotees in the Garden of Love"?
7. What is described about Miss Miss's mother in "Pickling"?
8. Whose death is announced in "Panel II: First Chorus" of "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World"?
9. How are linear and stream-of-consciousness narratives juxtaposed in "Pickling"?
10. What is evoked in the gunshots in The America Play, "Act One: Lincoln Act"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbolic elements of The America Play and their relationship to one another. How does Abraham Lincoln correlate to the Great Hole of History? Why does the author choose to use this imagery?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the characters of Mare and Lucius in "Betting on the Dust Commander" as well as the literary element of repetition. What is the purpose of repetition in drama?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the principle characters in "Snails." What are the objectives and characteristics of each character?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)