|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a narrative technique wherein events are portrayed out of chronological order?
2. Who is practicing French in scene "A" of "Devotees in the Garden of Love"?
3. How are Charles' arms described in "Pickling"?
4. What word means to put to death, especially by hanging, by mob action and without legal authority?
5. What refers to that characterized by a manner of writing in which a character's thoughts or perceptions are presented as occurring in random form, without regard for logical sequences?
Short Essay Questions
1. What figures and characters are introduced by the Foundling Father in The America Play, "Act One: Lincoln Act"?
2. What are Lily and George doing in the opening of "Devotees in the Garden of Love"?
3. What is suggested about Miss Miss's mother (and African Americans in the past) by her descriptions in "Pickling"?
4. What structural format does "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World" follow?
5. What is introduced in the "Overture" of "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World"?
6. What central theme or moral statement emerges in the ending of "Pickling"?
7. What has happened to Black Man in "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World," "Panel III: Thuh Lonesome 3Some"?
8. With what song and memories does Miss Miss open the play "Pickling"?
9. How does the objective of the Foundling Father relate to other protagonists in the collection?
10. What conversation do Lucy and Brazil share of the Lesser Known in The America Play, "E - Spadework"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss and describe the life and career of playwright Suzan-Lori Parks. When did Parks begin writing? What led her to the world of drama?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss postmodernism in literature and the role of the "other," and analyze how these terms apply to "An Equation for Black People Onstage" and the philosophies of Suzan-Lori Parks.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the original production of "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World." What successes has the play achieved? What criticism did the play meet and why?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)