|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Abraham Lincoln die?
2. Who killed Abraham Lincoln?
3. In scene "A" of "Devotees in the Garden of Love," what is Lily looking through?
4. In scene "C" of "Devotees in the Garden of Love," Lily refers to how important it used to be for a bride to have what?
5. What was injured on Black Man when he escaped execution in "Panel I: Thou Holy Ghost" of "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the play on words of "Foundling Father" imply in The America Play?
2. How does the objective of the Foundling Father relate to other protagonists in the collection?
3. What is introduced in the "Overture" of "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World"?
4. How are linear and stream-of-consciousness narratives juxtaposed in "Pickling"?
5. What conversation do Black Man and Black Woman share in "Panel I: Thou Holy Ghost" of "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World"?
6. What action takes place on stage as the Foundling Father gives his monologue in The America Play, "Act One: Lincoln Act"?
7. In scene "B" of "Devotees in the Garden of Love," how and what does Madame Odelia Pandahr describe?
8. In what ways does Madame Odelia Pandahr build suspense in scene "D" of "Devotees in the Garden of Love"?
9. What figures and characters are introduced by the Foundling Father in The America Play, "Act One: Lincoln Act"?
10. What central theme or moral statement emerges in the ending of "Pickling"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relationship between history and African American youth as depicted in "Open House." What is Parks saying about history's importance in the play?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss ways in which African Americans in the past were blinded to or denied their own cultural identity. How does Parks depict this as African Americans attempting to fulfill a role created by white culture in "Pickling"?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of assimilation depicted in "Greeks (or the Slugs)." What symbols represent assimilation in the narrative?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)