|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a narrative technique wherein events are portrayed in chronological order?
2. When did Abraham Lincoln die?
3. Who ran the finishing school where George graduated in "Devotees in the Garden of Love?
4. What is the short song which Miss Miss opens "Pickling" about?
5. What possession of Miss Miss' does she wonder what happened to in "Pickling"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the play on words of "Foundling Father" imply in The America Play?
2. How did the Lesser Known gain success in his impersonations, according to the Foundling Father in The America Play, "Act One: Lincoln Act"?
3. What allusion is implied in the arrival of the winner's head, presented to George on a platter in "Devotees in the Garden of Love"?
4. With what song and memories does Miss Miss open the play "Pickling"?
5. What symbols of violence are central in "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World"?
6. What action takes place on stage as the Foundling Father gives his monologue in The America Play, "Act One: Lincoln Act"?
7. What story does Brazil relate to the audience in The America Play, "A - Big Bang"?
8. What role does race play in "Devotees in the Garden of Love"?
9. What is evoked in the gunshots in The America Play, "Act One: Lincoln Act"?
10. What central theme or moral statement emerges in the ending of "Pickling"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the themes, imagery, and symbolism in "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World." How does the symbolism reflect the theme of identity in the play?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss postmodernism in literature and the role of the "other," and analyze how these terms apply to "An Equation for Black People Onstage" and the philosophies of Suzan-Lori Parks.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of assimilation depicted in "Greeks (or the Slugs)." What symbols represent assimilation in the narrative?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)