|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who speaks of Black Man's family history in "Panel IV: Second Chorus" of "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World"?
2. In "Panel V: In thuh Garden of Hoodoo It" of "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World," what is Black Woman attempting to do?
3. When was "Pickling" first produced?
4. In "Act One: Lincoln Act" of The America Play, the Foundling Father refers to Abraham Lincoln as what?
5. What is a narrative technique wherein events are portrayed in chronological order?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has happened to Black Man in "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World," "Panel III: Thuh Lonesome 3Some"?
2. What does the play on words of "Foundling Father" imply in The America Play?
3. What conversation do Lucy and Brazil share of the Lesser Known in The America Play, "E - Spadework"?
4. What conversation do Black Man and Black Woman share in "Panel I: Thou Holy Ghost" of "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World"?
5. What allusion is implied in the arrival of the winner's head, presented to George on a platter in "Devotees in the Garden of Love"?
6. What are Lucy and Brazil doing in The America Play, "A - Big Bang"? Where are they?
7. How does the term "pickling" apply to the play "Pickling"?
8. What action takes place on stage as the Foundling Father gives his monologue in The America Play, "Act One: Lincoln Act"?
9. What is described about Miss Miss's mother in "Pickling"?
10. What symbols of violence are central in "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of assimilation depicted in "Greeks (or the Slugs)." What symbols represent assimilation in the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the characters of Mr. and Mrs. Sergeant Smith in "Greeks (or the Slugs)." What is the overall objective of each character? What actions are taken in the first two scenes?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the original production of "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World." What successes has the play achieved? What criticism did the play meet and why?
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)