|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the fighters battling for in scene "B" of "Devotees in the Garden of Love"?
2. Where was the location of the theatre in which Abraham Lincoln was shot?
3. In "D - Echo" of The America Play, what was the line that triggered the laughter that covered Booth's advancing on Lincoln?
4. Lucy's son claims in "A - Big Bang" of The America Play that his father was a natural what?
5. What was a portable device used to execute criminals in communities where there was not a jail that could accommodate them?
Short Essay Questions
1. What structural format does "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World" follow?
2. How are linear and stream-of-consciousness narratives juxtaposed in "Pickling"?
3. What does the play on words of "Foundling Father" imply in The America Play?
4. What central theme or moral statement emerges in the ending of "Pickling"?
5. What symbols of violence are central in "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World"?
6. What figures and characters are introduced by the Foundling Father in The America Play, "Act One: Lincoln Act"?
7. What allusion is implied in the arrival of the winner's head, presented to George on a platter in "Devotees in the Garden of Love"?
8. What are Lily and George doing in the opening of "Devotees in the Garden of Love"?
9. What is described about Miss Miss's mother in "Pickling"?
10. What is introduced in the "Overture" of "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the origins, history, and stylistic elements of radio dramas and analyze the character of Miss Miss in "Pickling." How many characters comprise the cast?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss postmodernism in literature and the role of the "other," and analyze how these terms apply to "An Equation for Black People Onstage" and the philosophies of Suzan-Lori Parks.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of transformation in "Third Kingdom," "Open House" and "Third Kingdom, Reprise." How do these plays relate to the theme of identity?
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)