|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what theatre was Abraham Lincoln shot?
2. What does Miss Miss remember Charles coming by to eat in "Pickling"?
3. Where was the location of the theatre in which Abraham Lincoln was shot?
4. In "D - Echo" of The America Play, what was the line that triggered the laughter that covered Booth's advancing on Lincoln?
5. In "Panel I: Thou Holy Ghost" of "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World," Black Woman recalls how much has changed since when?
Short Essay Questions
1. What central theme or moral statement emerges in the ending of "Pickling"?
2. What play does the Foundling Father introduce in The America Play, "B - Echo"? What takes place?
3. What structural format does "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World" follow?
4. How does the objective of the Foundling Father relate to other protagonists in the collection?
5. How are linear and stream-of-consciousness narratives juxtaposed in "Pickling"?
6. How does the term "pickling" apply to the play "Pickling"?
7. What conversation do Black Man and Black Woman share in "Panel I: Thou Holy Ghost" of "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World"?
8. With what song and memories does Miss Miss open the play "Pickling"?
9. What action takes place on stage as the Foundling Father gives his monologue in The America Play, "Act One: Lincoln Act"?
10. Discuss the use of archetypes in "Devotees in the Garden of Love." How does this affect the characters' actions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss ways in which African Americans in the past were blinded to or denied their own cultural identity. How does Parks depict this as African Americans attempting to fulfill a role created by white culture in "Pickling"?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of assimilation depicted in "Greeks (or the Slugs)." What symbols represent assimilation in the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between history and African American youth as depicted in "Open House." What is Parks saying about history's importance in the play?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)