|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lucy's son claim his father used to visit when he was back east in "A - Big Bang" of The America Play?
2. In "Panel II: First Chorus" of "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World," who announces the death of "the absolutely last living Negro man in the whole entire known world"?
3. What play was Abraham Lincoln watching when he was assassinated?
4. In "Panel III: Thuh Lonesome 3Some" of "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World," Black Man reveals that after he died he was cut down from the tree and let go, since he wasn't what?
5. Madame Odelia Pandahr speaks in the manner of what in scene "B" of "Devotees in the Garden of Love"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story does Brazil relate to the audience in The America Play, "A - Big Bang"?
2. In scene "B" of "Devotees in the Garden of Love," how and what does Madame Odelia Pandahr describe?
3. In what ways does Madame Odelia Pandahr build suspense in scene "D" of "Devotees in the Garden of Love"?
4. How are linear and stream-of-consciousness narratives juxtaposed in "Pickling"?
5. What does the play on words of "Foundling Father" imply in The America Play?
6. What conversation do Black Man and Black Woman share in "Panel I: Thou Holy Ghost" of "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World"?
7. How did the Lesser Known gain success in his impersonations, according to the Foundling Father in The America Play, "Act One: Lincoln Act"?
8. What action takes place on stage as the Foundling Father gives his monologue in The America Play, "Act One: Lincoln Act"?
9. What play does the Foundling Father introduce in The America Play, "B - Echo"? What takes place?
10. What structural format does "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World" follow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the origins, history, and stylistic elements of radio dramas and analyze the character of Miss Miss in "Pickling." How many characters comprise the cast?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of transformation in "Third Kingdom," "Open House" and "Third Kingdom, Reprise." How do these plays relate to the theme of identity?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the themes, imagery, and symbolism in "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World." How does the symbolism reflect the theme of identity in the play?
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)