|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "A - Big Bang" of The America Play, Lucy's son claims that if they could just find what, they would know the truth?
2. The hole in The America Play is described as an exact replica of what?
3. When was "Pickling" first produced?
4. What sound concludes "Act One: Lincoln Act" of The America Play?
5. In "B - Echo" of The America Play, the Foundling Father introduces a scene from what play?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Parks intertwine linear narrative and metaphor in The America Play?
2. What is described about Miss Miss's mother in "Pickling"?
3. What structural format does "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World" follow?
4. What symbols of violence are central in "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World"?
5. How does the objective of the Foundling Father relate to other protagonists in the collection?
6. What is suggested about Miss Miss's mother (and African Americans in the past) by her descriptions in "Pickling"?
7. What play does the Foundling Father introduce in The America Play, "B - Echo"? What takes place?
8. In what ways does Madame Odelia Pandahr build suspense in scene "D" of "Devotees in the Garden of Love"?
9. What figures and characters are introduced by the Foundling Father in The America Play, "Act One: Lincoln Act"?
10. What allusion is implied in the arrival of the winner's head, presented to George on a platter in "Devotees in the Garden of Love"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the characters of Mr. and Mrs. Sergeant Smith in "Greeks (or the Slugs)." What is the overall objective of each character? What actions are taken in the first two scenes?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the themes, imagery, and symbolism in "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World." How does the symbolism reflect the theme of identity in the play?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the relationship between Icarus and Mr. Sergeant Smith in "Greeks (or the Slugs)." In what ways are these tragic heroes similar?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)