|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who writes a letter to Mr. Sergeant Smith in scene "D" of "Greeks (or the Slugs)"?
2. In scene "A" of "Snails," Molly insistently asks Charlene where what are?
3. What refers to a musical tradition and style of music that originated at the beginning of the 20th century in African American communities in the Southern United States from a confluence of African and European music traditions?
4. When was Suzan-Lori Parks born?
5. What kind of flowers do Lucius and Mare discuss having gotten in scene "A" of "Betting on the Dust Commander"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the characters and what do they reveal in the play "Third Kingdom"?
2. What metaphoric statement is made through repetition in "Betting on the Dust Commander"?
3. What does the cockroach represent in "Snails"?
4. What action takes place between Lucius and Mare in scene "B" of "Betting on the Dust Commander"?
5. What stylistic techniques does Parks describe using in her works in "Elements of Style"?
6. In "An Equation for Black People Onstage," what does Parks urge the reader to reconsider?
7. What issues are discussed between Molly and Charlene in "C" of "Snails"?
8. What is the central premise of the essay "Possession"? What play was inspired by a dream?
9. What objectives do Mrs. Smith and Buffy reveal in scene "B" of "Greeks (or the Slugs)"?
10. What does Parks relate about the contemporary theatre in "Elements of Style"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the relationship between Icarus and Mr. Sergeant Smith in "Greeks (or the Slugs)." In what ways are these tragic heroes similar?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the dramatic structure of the Classical Greek theatre and historical references in "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World." Where and when did the traveling electric chair originate?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between history and African American youth as depicted in "Open House." What is Parks saying about history's importance in the play?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)