|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Elements of Style" Parks urges playwrights to find what in the lines of the characters?
2. What word does Molly repeat on different occasions in scene "A" of "Snails"?
3. What title of a play in the collection was derived from a phrase in a half-waking dream of the author's?
4. What does Lucius beat Mare with in scene "B" of "Betting on the Dust Commander"?
5. Who speaks of developing an unusual friendship with a robber who repeatedly came to her house in scene "A" of "Snails"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What action takes place between Lucius and Mare in scene "B" of "Betting on the Dust Commander"?
2. What proposition does Lucius present in scene "B" of "Betting on the Dust Commander"? What did a woman at church criticize him for?
3. What news does Molly relate in scene "A" of "Snails"? Who does Charlene describe in the scene?
4. What is the relationship like between the younger and older Smiths in "Greeks (or the Slugs)"? How does this relate to other plays in the collection?
5. What metaphors can be discerned by Mare's name in "Betting on the Dust Commander"?
6. What metaphoric statement is made through repetition in "Betting on the Dust Commander"?
7. What imagery opens the play "Open House"? What characters are present?
8. What image does Mr. Sergeant Smith project in scene "A" of "Greeks (or the Slugs)"?
9. What apparatus does the Naturalist describe in scene "B" of "Snails"?
10. What opening statement defines the essay "An Equation for Black People Onstage"? What does Parks' mean with the statement?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the themes, imagery, and symbolism in "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World." How does the symbolism reflect the theme of identity in the play?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the characters of Mr. and Mrs. Sergeant Smith in "Greeks (or the Slugs)." What is the overall objective of each character? What actions are taken in the first two scenes?
Essay Topic 3
Define and analyze metaphor and symbolism in "Snails." What can the cockroach and Naturalist be seen as symbols of in society? Why?
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)