|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The speakers in "Third Kingdom" reveal aspects of their dreams, many of which refer to what?
2. How many children do the Smiths have in "Greeks (or the Slugs)"?
3. What does Mr. Sergeant Smith refer to as a promotion in "Greeks (or the Slugs)"?
4. Who defied her boss' efforts to get her to speak properly in scene "A" of "Snails"?
5. In scene "B" of "Betting on the Dust Commander," Mare suggests that she and Lucius have children, as they have neither what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the play on words of "Foundling Father" imply in The America Play?
2. How does the theme of assimilation manifest in "Greeks (or the Slugs)"?
3. What structural format does "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World" follow?
4. What role does race play in "Devotees in the Garden of Love"?
5. In scene "B" of "Devotees in the Garden of Love," how and what does Madame Odelia Pandahr describe?
6. What does Mr. Sergeant Smith write to his daughter in scene "C" of "Greeks (or the Slugs)"?
7. What is introduced in the "Overture" of "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World"?
8. How are linear and stream-of-consciousness narratives juxtaposed in "Pickling"?
9. What imagined encounter does Aretha experience in "C" of "Open House"?
10. What central theme or moral statement emerges in the ending of "Pickling"?
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the principle characters in "Snails." What are the objectives and characteristics of each character?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the relationship between Icarus and Mr. Sergeant Smith in "Greeks (or the Slugs)." In what ways are these tragic heroes similar?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the origins, history, and stylistic elements of radio dramas and analyze the character of Miss Miss in "Pickling." How many characters comprise the cast?
This section contains 1,409 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)