|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells the others to line up and calls out "Land Ho!" in the ending of "Third Kingdom"?
2. What is an art form that generally refers to movement of the body, usually rhythmic and to music, used as a form of expression or presented in a spiritual or performance setting?
3. Who does Aretha urge to smile in scene "A" of "Open House"?
4. Who worries that her father doesn't like her in scene "D" of "Greeks (or the Slugs)"?
5. For what play did Parks receive the 2002 Pulitzer Prize for Drama?
Short Essay Questions
1. What opening statement defines the essay "An Equation for Black People Onstage"? What does Parks' mean with the statement?
2. What does the cockroach represent in "Snails"?
3. What imagery and sounds are depicted in the opening of "Betting on the Dust Commander"?
4. What does Mr. Sergeant Smith write to his daughter in scene "C" of "Greeks (or the Slugs)"?
5. What metaphors can be discerned by Mare's name in "Betting on the Dust Commander"?
6. What does Lucius criticize Mare for doing improperly in scene "B" of "Betting on the Dust Commander"? What is her criticism of him?
7. What objectives do Mrs. Smith and Buffy reveal in scene "B" of "Greeks (or the Slugs)"?
8. What imagined encounter does Aretha experience in "C" of "Open House"?
9. In "An Equation for Black People Onstage," what does Parks urge the reader to reconsider?
10. What does Parks relate about the contemporary theatre in "Elements of Style"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss postmodernism in literature and the role of the "other," and analyze how these terms apply to "An Equation for Black People Onstage" and the philosophies of Suzan-Lori Parks.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the original production of "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World." What successes has the play achieved? What criticism did the play meet and why?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the characters of Mare and Lucius in "Betting on the Dust Commander" as well as the literary element of repetition. What is the purpose of repetition in drama?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)