Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What term refers to a vacation or leave of absence granted to an enlisted person?
2. What title of a play in the collection was derived from a phrase in a half-waking dream of the author's?
3. In "An Equation for Black People Onstage" Parks writes, "The bulk of relationships Black people are engaged in onstage is the relationship between the Black and the" what?
4. In scene "B" of "Betting on the Dust Commander," Mare complains that Lucius is always going where?
5. What does Mr. Sergeant Smith refer to as a promotion in "Greeks (or the Slugs)"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does race play in "Devotees in the Garden of Love"?
2. What are Lucy and Brazil doing in The America Play, "A - Big Bang"? Where are they?
3. What conversation do Black Man and Black Woman share in "Panel I: Thou Holy Ghost" of "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World"?
4. How are linear and stream-of-consciousness narratives juxtaposed in "Pickling"?
5. In what ways does Parks leave metaphorical interpretation to the audience in "Snails"?
6. What is described about Miss Miss's mother in "Pickling"?
7. In what ways does Madame Odelia Pandahr build suspense in scene "D" of "Devotees in the Garden of Love"?
8. What does the play on words of "Foundling Father" imply in The America Play?
9. What structural format does "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World" follow?
10. What is suggested about Miss Miss's mother (and African Americans in the past) by her descriptions in "Pickling"?
Describe the characters of Mr. and Mrs. Sergeant Smith in "Greeks (or the Slugs)." What is the overall objective of each character? What actions are taken in the first two scenes?
Discuss the symbolic elements of The America Play and their relationship to one another. How does Abraham Lincoln correlate to the Great Hole of History? Why does the author choose to use this imagery?
Describe and analyze the themes, characters and actions in the short play "Third Kingdom." What is the setting of this play?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)