|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Smith ask Buffy to keep clean in scene "B" of "Greeks (or the Slugs)"?
2. Who tells the others to line up and calls out "Land Ho!" in the ending of "Third Kingdom"?
3. In what European country did Suzan-Lori Parks spend part of her childhood?
4. Who shows Blanca and Anglor through an apartment in scene "F" of "Open House"?
5. How many children do the Smiths have in "Greeks (or the Slugs)"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Suzan-Lori Parks imply about African American youth in "Open House"?
2. What news does Molly relate in scene "A" of "Snails"? Who does Charlene describe in the scene?
3. In "An Equation for Black People Onstage," what does Parks urge the reader to reconsider?
4. What issues are discussed between Molly and Charlene in "C" of "Snails"?
5. What opening statement defines the essay "An Equation for Black People Onstage"? What does Parks' mean with the statement?
6. What is the relationship like between the younger and older Smiths in "Greeks (or the Slugs)"? How does this relate to other plays in the collection?
7. What apparatus does the Naturalist describe in scene "B" of "Snails"?
8. What imagery opens the play "Open House"? What characters are present?
9. What metaphors can be discerned by Mare's name in "Betting on the Dust Commander"?
10. What does Parks relate about the contemporary theatre in "Elements of Style"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify and analyze the central characters, themes, symbols and structural elements in "Open House." What is the author's overall statement in Aretha's metaphor?
Essay Topic 2
Define and analyze metaphor and symbolism in "Snails." What can the cockroach and Naturalist be seen as symbols of in society? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the characters of Mare and Lucius in "Betting on the Dust Commander" as well as the literary element of repetition. What is the purpose of repetition in drama?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)