|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is an art form that generally refers to movement of the body, usually rhythmic and to music, used as a form of expression or presented in a spiritual or performance setting?
2. Who shows Blanca and Anglor through an apartment in scene "F" of "Open House"?
3. Aretha recalls a conversation with a slave-master named what in scene "D" of "Open House"?
4. What is Charlene's name in scene "F" of "Snails"?
5. Where is Lucius planning to go in scene "B" of "Betting on the Dust Commander"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What imagery and sounds are depicted in the opening of "Betting on the Dust Commander"?
2. How are different styles of language juxtaposed in scene "B" of "Open House"?
3. Who are the characters and what do they reveal in the play "Third Kingdom"?
4. What issues are discussed between Molly and Charlene in "C" of "Snails"?
5. Who does the Naturalist describe as needing help in scene "D" of "Snails"?
6. What news does Molly relate in scene "A" of "Snails"? Who does Charlene describe in the scene?
7. In what way did Mr. Sergeant Smith receive his greatest wish in "G" of "Greeks (or the Slugs)"?
8. What does Parks relate about the contemporary theatre in "Elements of Style"?
9. For what subjects and themes is Suzan-Lori Parks well-known?
10. What is the central premise of the essay "Possession"? What play was inspired by a dream?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the origins, history, and stylistic elements of radio dramas and analyze the character of Miss Miss in "Pickling." How many characters comprise the cast?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationship between history and African American youth as depicted in "Open House." What is Parks saying about history's importance in the play?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the characters of Mr. and Mrs. Sergeant Smith in "Greeks (or the Slugs)." What is the overall objective of each character? What actions are taken in the first two scenes?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)