|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What refers to a musical tradition and style of music that originated at the beginning of the 20th century in African American communities in the Southern United States from a confluence of African and European music traditions?
2. What horse does Lucius describe betting successfully on in scene "B" of "Betting on the Dust Commander"?
3. In scene "B" of "Betting on the Dust Commander," Lucius tells Mare that his favorite horse is always what?
4. What refers to the discovery, collection, organization, and presentation of information about past events?
5. The children in the beginning of "Open House" are worried about who will take care of what when Aretha is gone?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what subjects and themes is Suzan-Lori Parks well-known?
2. What does Parks relate about the contemporary theatre in "Elements of Style"?
3. In what ways does Parks leave metaphorical interpretation to the audience in "Snails"?
4. What does Mr. Sergeant Smith write to his daughter in scene "C" of "Greeks (or the Slugs)"?
5. What imagery and sounds are depicted in the opening of "Betting on the Dust Commander"?
6. What is the relationship like between the younger and older Smiths in "Greeks (or the Slugs)"? How does this relate to other plays in the collection?
7. What issues are discussed between Molly and Charlene in "C" of "Snails"?
8. What stylistic techniques does Parks describe using in her works in "Elements of Style"?
9. In "An Equation for Black People Onstage," what does Parks urge the reader to reconsider?
10. What metaphoric statement is made through repetition in "Betting on the Dust Commander"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the origins, history, and stylistic elements of radio dramas and analyze the character of Miss Miss in "Pickling." How many characters comprise the cast?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss and describe the life and career of playwright Suzan-Lori Parks. When did Parks begin writing? What led her to the world of drama?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolic elements of The America Play and their relationship to one another. How does Abraham Lincoln correlate to the Great Hole of History? Why does the author choose to use this imagery?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)