|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the Emancipation Proclamation enacted?
2. In scene "B" of "Betting on the Dust Commander," Lucius tells Mare that his favorite horse is always what?
3. When did the Thirteenth Amendment abolish slavery?
4. What refers to a hypersensitivity to a substance that causes the body to react to any contact with that substance?
5. In scene "B" of "Betting on the Dust Commander," Mare suggests that she and Lucius have children, as they have neither what?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way did Mr. Sergeant Smith receive his greatest wish in "G" of "Greeks (or the Slugs)"?
2. What stylistic techniques does Parks describe using in her works in "Elements of Style"?
3. What is the relationship like between the younger and older Smiths in "Greeks (or the Slugs)"? How does this relate to other plays in the collection?
4. What is the central premise of the essay "Possession"? What play was inspired by a dream?
5. What metaphor is central in the play "Open House"?
6. What apparatus does the Naturalist describe in scene "B" of "Snails"?
7. What does Mr. Sergeant Smith write to his daughter in scene "C" of "Greeks (or the Slugs)"?
8. What news does Molly relate in scene "A" of "Snails"? Who does Charlene describe in the scene?
9. What imagery and sounds are depicted in the opening of "Betting on the Dust Commander"?
10. What does Suzan-Lori Parks imply about African American youth in "Open House"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the principle characters in "Snails." What are the objectives and characteristics of each character?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the characters of Mare and Lucius in "Betting on the Dust Commander" as well as the literary element of repetition. What is the purpose of repetition in drama?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of assimilation depicted in "Greeks (or the Slugs)." What symbols represent assimilation in the narrative?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)