|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In scene "A" of "Greeks (or the Slugs)," Mr. Sergeant Smith uses a simile to describe hiding like what?
2. The speakers in "Third Kingdom" recall being thrown off what?
3. In scene "F" of "Snails," a Robber enters the apartment and steals what?
4. What term is used to refer to African American Vernacular English, asserting the independence of this from (standard) English?
5. In scene "A" of "Snails," Molly insistently asks Charlene where what are?
Short Essay Questions
1. What metaphoric statement is made through repetition in "Betting on the Dust Commander"?
2. What apparatus does the Naturalist describe in scene "B" of "Snails"?
3. What proposition does Lucius present in scene "B" of "Betting on the Dust Commander"? What did a woman at church criticize him for?
4. What does the cockroach represent in "Snails"?
5. Who does the Naturalist describe as needing help in scene "D" of "Snails"?
6. What objectives do Mrs. Smith and Buffy reveal in scene "B" of "Greeks (or the Slugs)"?
7. What does Suzan-Lori Parks imply about African American youth in "Open House"?
8. What stylistic techniques does Parks describe using in her works in "Elements of Style"?
9. What news does Molly relate in scene "A" of "Snails"? Who does Charlene describe in the scene?
10. What image does Mr. Sergeant Smith project in scene "A" of "Greeks (or the Slugs)"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss postmodernism in literature and the role of the "other," and analyze how these terms apply to "An Equation for Black People Onstage" and the philosophies of Suzan-Lori Parks.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the characters of Mare and Lucius in "Betting on the Dust Commander" as well as the literary element of repetition. What is the purpose of repetition in drama?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the relationship between Icarus and Mr. Sergeant Smith in "Greeks (or the Slugs)." In what ways are these tragic heroes similar?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)