|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The speakers in "Third Kingdom" recall being thrown off what?
2. What refers to the tendency of particular cognitive experiences to provoke laughter and provide amusement?
3. In scene "B" of "Betting on the Dust Commander," Mare complains that Lucius is always going where?
4. Who kisses Mr. Sergeant Smith's desk in scene "D" of "Greeks (or the Slugs)"?
5. What does Lucius criticize Mare for not doing correctly in scene "B" of "Betting on the Dust Commander"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What imagery and sounds are depicted in the opening of "Betting on the Dust Commander"?
2. What issues are discussed between Molly and Charlene in "C" of "Snails"?
3. What is the central premise of the essay "Possession"? What play was inspired by a dream?
4. What metaphors can be discerned by Mare's name in "Betting on the Dust Commander"?
5. Who does the Naturalist describe as needing help in scene "D" of "Snails"?
6. What action takes place between Lucius and Mare in scene "B" of "Betting on the Dust Commander"?
7. Who are the characters and what do they reveal in the play "Third Kingdom"?
8. What opening statement defines the essay "An Equation for Black People Onstage"? What does Parks' mean with the statement?
9. What does Mr. Sergeant Smith write to his daughter in scene "C" of "Greeks (or the Slugs)"?
10. What metaphor is central in the play "Open House"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the principle characters in "Snails." What are the objectives and characteristics of each character?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the themes, characters and actions in the short play "Third Kingdom." What is the setting of this play?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between history and African American youth as depicted in "Open House." What is Parks saying about history's importance in the play?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)