|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lucius criticize Mare for not doing correctly in scene "B" of "Betting on the Dust Commander"?
2. What term refers to a vacation or leave of absence granted to an enlisted person?
3. Aretha is told she has what in scene "C" of "Open House"?
4. Where is Lucius planning to go in scene "B" of "Betting on the Dust Commander"?
5. The speakers in "Third Kingdom" recall being thrown off what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What proposition does Lucius present in scene "B" of "Betting on the Dust Commander"? What did a woman at church criticize him for?
2. What opening statement defines the essay "An Equation for Black People Onstage"? What does Parks' mean with the statement?
3. What does the cockroach represent in "Snails"?
4. What metaphor is central in the play "Open House"?
5. What issues are discussed between Molly and Charlene in "C" of "Snails"?
6. In "An Equation for Black People Onstage," what does Parks urge the reader to reconsider?
7. What apparatus does the Naturalist describe in scene "B" of "Snails"?
8. What is the relationship like between the younger and older Smiths in "Greeks (or the Slugs)"? How does this relate to other plays in the collection?
9. What news does Molly relate in scene "A" of "Snails"? Who does Charlene describe in the scene?
10. What does Lucius criticize Mare for doing improperly in scene "B" of "Betting on the Dust Commander"? What is her criticism of him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of assimilation depicted in "Greeks (or the Slugs)." What symbols represent assimilation in the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the dramatic structure of the Classical Greek theatre and historical references in "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World." Where and when did the traveling electric chair originate?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of transformation in "Third Kingdom," "Open House" and "Third Kingdom, Reprise." How do these plays relate to the theme of identity?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)