|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Smith ask Buffy to keep clean in scene "B" of "Greeks (or the Slugs)"?
2. In "Elements of Style," Parks incorporates diagrams illustrating how some of her works function as what?
3. In "Elements of Style" Parks suggests that form defines what, and vice versa?
4. Who is worried about how to take care of the dresses of her two dolls in scene "B" of "Greeks (or the Slugs)"?
5. Charles speaks to Aretha about the importance of what in scene "E" of "Open House"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does the Naturalist describe as needing help in scene "D" of "Snails"?
2. What action takes place between Lucius and Mare in scene "B" of "Betting on the Dust Commander"?
3. What is the central premise of the essay "Possession"? What play was inspired by a dream?
4. What metaphoric statement is made through repetition in "Betting on the Dust Commander"?
5. How are different styles of language juxtaposed in scene "B" of "Open House"?
6. In what way did Mr. Sergeant Smith receive his greatest wish in "G" of "Greeks (or the Slugs)"?
7. What proposition does Lucius present in scene "B" of "Betting on the Dust Commander"? What did a woman at church criticize him for?
8. What image does Mr. Sergeant Smith project in scene "A" of "Greeks (or the Slugs)"?
9. In "An Equation for Black People Onstage," what does Parks urge the reader to reconsider?
10. What apparatus does the Naturalist describe in scene "B" of "Snails"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the themes, imagery, and symbolism in "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World." How does the symbolism reflect the theme of identity in the play?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of transformation in "Third Kingdom," "Open House" and "Third Kingdom, Reprise." How do these plays relate to the theme of identity?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolic elements of The America Play and their relationship to one another. How does Abraham Lincoln correlate to the Great Hole of History? Why does the author choose to use this imagery?
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)