|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Suzan-Lori Parks born?
2. What does Mr. Sergeant Smith refer to as a promotion in "Greeks (or the Slugs)"?
3. Who speaks of developing an unusual friendship with a robber who repeatedly came to her house in scene "A" of "Snails"?
4. Where does Mr. Sergeant Smith say he's been posted in scene "C" of "Greeks (or the Slugs)"?
5. Who tells the others to line up and calls out "Land Ho!" in the ending of "Third Kingdom"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Parks relate about the contemporary theatre in "Elements of Style"?
2. What metaphors can be discerned by Mare's name in "Betting on the Dust Commander"?
3. What does the cockroach represent in "Snails"?
4. What is the relationship like between the younger and older Smiths in "Greeks (or the Slugs)"? How does this relate to other plays in the collection?
5. What stylistic techniques does Parks describe using in her works in "Elements of Style"?
6. What action takes place between Lucius and Mare in scene "B" of "Betting on the Dust Commander"?
7. How does the theme of assimilation manifest in "Greeks (or the Slugs)"?
8. For what subjects and themes is Suzan-Lori Parks well-known?
9. What apparatus does the Naturalist describe in scene "B" of "Snails"?
10. In what ways does Parks leave metaphorical interpretation to the audience in "Snails"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the themes, imagery, and symbolism in "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World." How does the symbolism reflect the theme of identity in the play?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the original production of "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World." What successes has the play achieved? What criticism did the play meet and why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the origins, history, and stylistic elements of radio dramas and analyze the character of Miss Miss in "Pickling." How many characters comprise the cast?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)