Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What term refers to a vacation or leave of absence granted to an enlisted person?
2. What title of a play in the collection was derived from a phrase in a half-waking dream of the author's?
3. In "An Equation for Black People Onstage" Parks writes, "The bulk of relationships Black people are engaged in onstage is the relationship between the Black and the" what?
4. In scene "B" of "Betting on the Dust Commander," Mare complains that Lucius is always going where?
5. What does Mr. Sergeant Smith refer to as a promotion in "Greeks (or the Slugs)"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does race play in "Devotees in the Garden of Love"?
2. What are Lucy and Brazil doing in The America Play, "A - Big Bang"? Where are they?
3. What conversation do Black Man and Black Woman share in "Panel I: Thou Holy Ghost" of "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World"?
4. How are linear and stream-of-consciousness narratives juxtaposed in "Pickling"?
5. In what ways does Parks leave metaphorical interpretation to the audience in "Snails"?
6. What is described about Miss Miss's mother in "Pickling"?
7. In what ways does Madame Odelia Pandahr build suspense in scene "D" of "Devotees in the Garden of Love"?
8. What does the play on words of "Foundling Father" imply in The America Play?
9. What structural format does "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World" follow?
10. What is suggested about Miss Miss's mother (and African Americans in the past) by her descriptions in "Pickling"?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss ways in which African Americans in the past were blinded to or denied their own cultural identity. How does Parks depict this as African Americans attempting to fulfill a role created by white culture in "Pickling"?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the original production of "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World." What successes has the play achieved? What criticism did the play meet and why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between history and African American youth as depicted in "Open House." What is Parks saying about history's importance in the play?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)