|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mrs. Smith explains to her children in scene "D" of "Greeks (or the Slugs)" that their father's posting is how far away?
2. Who does Lucius describe having criticized him for wearing the same clothes every day in scene "B" of "Betting on the Dust Commander"?
3. In "An Equation for Black People Onstage," Parks calls for African-Americans "to show the world and ourselves our beautiful and powerfully" what?
4. Who shows Blanca and Anglor through an apartment in scene "F" of "Open House"?
5. What man does Aretha tell to be patient in scene "A" of "Open House"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the central premise of the essay "Possession"? What play was inspired by a dream?
2. What does the cockroach represent in "Snails"?
3. In "An Equation for Black People Onstage," what does Parks urge the reader to reconsider?
4. What issues are discussed between Molly and Charlene in "C" of "Snails"?
5. Whose death is announced in "Panel II: First Chorus" of "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World"?
6. What metaphor is central in the play "Open House"?
7. What metaphors can be discerned by Mare's name in "Betting on the Dust Commander"?
8. What symbols of violence are central in "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World"?
9. How does Parks intertwine linear narrative and metaphor in The America Play?
10. What has happened to Black Man in "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World," "Panel III: Thuh Lonesome 3Some"?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of transformation in "Third Kingdom," "Open House" and "Third Kingdom, Reprise." How do these plays relate to the theme of identity?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the staging, setting, and imagery in "Betting on the Dust Commander." In past productions of the work, how is the set and lighting described? What notes does the playwright give?
Essay Topic 3
Identify and analyze the central characters, themes, symbols and structural elements in "Open House." What is the author's overall statement in Aretha's metaphor?
This section contains 1,433 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)