|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is shown onstage in the opening of "Betting on the Dust Commander"?
2. At the end of scene "C" of "Betting on the Dust Commander," what does Lucius ask Mare to say?
3. Who arrives looking for the person with the cockroach bites in scene "F" of "Snails"?
4. Who works with Aretha on the calculations for how many slaves can fit in the bottom of a transport ship in scene "B" of "Open House"?
5. Who prepares to extract Aretha's teeth in scene "D" of "Open House"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What apparatus does the Naturalist describe in scene "B" of "Snails"?
2. Who are the characters and what do they reveal in the play "Third Kingdom"?
3. What is the central premise of the essay "Possession"? What play was inspired by a dream?
4. What metaphors can be discerned by Mare's name in "Betting on the Dust Commander"?
5. What metaphor is central in the play "Open House"?
6. What news does Molly relate in scene "A" of "Snails"? Who does Charlene describe in the scene?
7. What image does Mr. Sergeant Smith project in scene "A" of "Greeks (or the Slugs)"?
8. What action takes place between Lucius and Mare in scene "B" of "Betting on the Dust Commander"?
9. In "An Equation for Black People Onstage," what does Parks urge the reader to reconsider?
10. What does the cockroach represent in "Snails"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the dramatic structure of the Classical Greek theatre and historical references in "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World." Where and when did the traveling electric chair originate?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the principle characters in "Snails." What are the objectives and characteristics of each character?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the characters of Mr. and Mrs. Sergeant Smith in "Greeks (or the Slugs)." What is the overall objective of each character? What actions are taken in the first two scenes?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)