|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Mr. Sergeant Smith in scene "A" of "Greeks (or the Slugs)"?
2. Who prepares to extract Aretha's teeth in scene "D" of "Open House"?
3. In scene "B" of "Betting on the Dust Commander," Lucius tells Mare that his favorite horse is always what?
4. What is shown onstage in the opening of "Betting on the Dust Commander"?
5. What does Mr. Sergeant Smith refer to as a promotion in "Greeks (or the Slugs)"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "An Equation for Black People Onstage," what does Parks urge the reader to reconsider?
2. What stylistic techniques does Parks describe using in her works in "Elements of Style"?
3. Who are the characters and what do they reveal in the play "Third Kingdom"?
4. What news does Molly relate in scene "A" of "Snails"? Who does Charlene describe in the scene?
5. What is the relationship like between the younger and older Smiths in "Greeks (or the Slugs)"? How does this relate to other plays in the collection?
6. What objectives do Mrs. Smith and Buffy reveal in scene "B" of "Greeks (or the Slugs)"?
7. What does Lucius criticize Mare for doing improperly in scene "B" of "Betting on the Dust Commander"? What is her criticism of him?
8. What imagined encounter does Aretha experience in "C" of "Open House"?
9. What proposition does Lucius present in scene "B" of "Betting on the Dust Commander"? What did a woman at church criticize him for?
10. How does the theme of assimilation manifest in "Greeks (or the Slugs)"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the characters of Mr. and Mrs. Sergeant Smith in "Greeks (or the Slugs)." What is the overall objective of each character? What actions are taken in the first two scenes?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the relationship between Icarus and Mr. Sergeant Smith in "Greeks (or the Slugs)." In what ways are these tragic heroes similar?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the dramatic structure of the Classical Greek theatre and historical references in "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World." Where and when did the traveling electric chair originate?
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)