|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lucius beat Mare with in scene "B" of "Betting on the Dust Commander"?
2. Where was Suzan-Lori Parks born?
3. In scene "F" of "Snails," a Robber enters the apartment and steals what?
4. In "Elements of Style" Parks urges playwrights to find what in the lines of the characters?
5. What "apparatus" used by scientists to disguise their presence so they can observe animals in their natural environment without being noticed is described in "B" of "Snails"?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what subjects and themes is Suzan-Lori Parks well-known?
2. In what ways does Parks leave metaphorical interpretation to the audience in "Snails"?
3. What proposition does Lucius present in scene "B" of "Betting on the Dust Commander"? What did a woman at church criticize him for?
4. In what way did Mr. Sergeant Smith receive his greatest wish in "G" of "Greeks (or the Slugs)"?
5. What does the cockroach represent in "Snails"?
6. What does Suzan-Lori Parks imply about African American youth in "Open House"?
7. What news does Molly relate in scene "A" of "Snails"? Who does Charlene describe in the scene?
8. How are different styles of language juxtaposed in scene "B" of "Open House"?
9. What is the relationship like between the younger and older Smiths in "Greeks (or the Slugs)"? How does this relate to other plays in the collection?
10. What action takes place between Lucius and Mare in scene "B" of "Betting on the Dust Commander"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the characters of Mr. and Mrs. Sergeant Smith in "Greeks (or the Slugs)." What is the overall objective of each character? What actions are taken in the first two scenes?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the dramatic structure of the Classical Greek theatre and historical references in "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World." Where and when did the traveling electric chair originate?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the staging, setting, and imagery in "Betting on the Dust Commander." In past productions of the work, how is the set and lighting described? What notes does the playwright give?
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)