|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the son of the master craftsman Daedalus in Greek mythology?
2. What is the speaker at the podium referred to as in scene "B" of "Snails"?
3. In scene "B" of "Betting on the Dust Commander," Mare complains that Lucius is always going where?
4. Who worries that her father doesn't like her in scene "D" of "Greeks (or the Slugs)"?
5. Who is worried about how to take care of the dresses of her two dolls in scene "B" of "Greeks (or the Slugs)"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lucius criticize Mare for doing improperly in scene "B" of "Betting on the Dust Commander"? What is her criticism of him?
2. What is the relationship like between the younger and older Smiths in "Greeks (or the Slugs)"? How does this relate to other plays in the collection?
3. In "An Equation for Black People Onstage," what does Parks urge the reader to reconsider?
4. How does the theme of assimilation manifest in "Greeks (or the Slugs)"?
5. What action takes place between Lucius and Mare in scene "B" of "Betting on the Dust Commander"?
6. What metaphoric statement is made through repetition in "Betting on the Dust Commander"?
7. What imagined encounter does Aretha experience in "C" of "Open House"?
8. What proposition does Lucius present in scene "B" of "Betting on the Dust Commander"? What did a woman at church criticize him for?
9. What news does Molly relate in scene "A" of "Snails"? Who does Charlene describe in the scene?
10. How are different styles of language juxtaposed in scene "B" of "Open House"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the relationship between Icarus and Mr. Sergeant Smith in "Greeks (or the Slugs)." In what ways are these tragic heroes similar?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss and describe the life and career of playwright Suzan-Lori Parks. When did Parks begin writing? What led her to the world of drama?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of assimilation depicted in "Greeks (or the Slugs)." What symbols represent assimilation in the narrative?
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)