|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Miss Miss recall her mother doing with her hair in "Pickling"?
(a) Brainding it.
(b) Brushing it.
(c) Cutting it.
(d) Dying it.
2. In scene "C" of "Devotees in the Garden of Love," Lily refers to how important it used to be for a bride to have what?
(a) A white gown.
(b) A well-set table.
(c) Elaborate hair.
(d) A giant wedding.
3. In scene "A" of "Devotees in the Garden of Love," what is Lily looking through?
(a) A camera.
(b) A wooden frame.
4. What word refers to an infant or small child found abandoned; a child without a known parent or guardian?
5. When did Abraham Lincoln die?
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the fighters battling for in scene "B" of "Devotees in the Garden of Love"?
2. Lucy's son claims in "A - Big Bang" of The America Play that his father was a natural what?
3. What can be seen as a metaphoric representation of the essentially empty, idealized image of Lincoln inhabited and clung to by the Foundling Father and shot by the would-be assassins in The American Play?
4. What does Miss Miss remember Charles coming by to eat in "Pickling"?
5. When was "Pickling" first produced?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Lily and George doing in the opening of "Devotees in the Garden of Love"?
2. What figures and characters are introduced by the Foundling Father in The America Play, "Act One: Lincoln Act"?
3. What is suggested about Miss Miss's mother (and African Americans in the past) by her descriptions in "Pickling"?
4. With what song and memories does Miss Miss open the play "Pickling"?
5. How does the term "pickling" apply to the play "Pickling"?
6. What structural format does "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World" follow?
7. What story does Brazil relate to the audience in The America Play, "A - Big Bang"?
8. What does the play on words of "Foundling Father" imply in The America Play?
9. Discuss the use of archetypes in "Devotees in the Garden of Love." How does this affect the characters' actions?
10. In scene "B" of "Devotees in the Garden of Love," how and what does Madame Odelia Pandahr describe?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)