|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What refers to a musical tradition and style of music that originated at the beginning of the 20th century in African American communities in the Southern United States from a confluence of African and European music traditions?
2. Who defied her boss' efforts to get her to speak properly in scene "A" of "Snails"?
3. What does Mrs. Smith ask her children if they'd like in scene "D" of "Greeks (or the Slugs)"?
(a) A dog.
(b) A cat.
(c) A brother.
(d) A sister.
4. In "Elements of Style," Parks incorporates diagrams illustrating how some of her works function as what?
(a) Methodical melodramas.
(b) Mathematical equations.
(c) Postmodernist identities.
(d) Grammatical symbols.
5. Where is Mr. Sergeant Smith in scene "A" of "Greeks (or the Slugs)"?
(a) At his desk.
(b) In the bathroom.
(c) In the dining room.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who prepares to extract Aretha's teeth in scene "D" of "Open House"?
2. Who does Lucius describe having criticized him for wearing the same clothes every day in scene "B" of "Betting on the Dust Commander"?
3. How many children do the Smiths have in "Greeks (or the Slugs)"?
4. In scene "B" of "Open House," Aretha speaks of God looking down on whom?
5. What is an art form that generally refers to movement of the body, usually rhythmic and to music, used as a form of expression or presented in a spiritual or performance setting?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are different styles of language juxtaposed in scene "B" of "Open House"?
2. What is the central premise of the essay "Possession"? What play was inspired by a dream?
3. What imagery opens the play "Open House"? What characters are present?
4. Who are the characters and what do they reveal in the play "Third Kingdom"?
5. What issues are discussed between Molly and Charlene in "C" of "Snails"?
6. For what subjects and themes is Suzan-Lori Parks well-known?
7. What apparatus does the Naturalist describe in scene "B" of "Snails"?
8. In what ways does Parks leave metaphorical interpretation to the audience in "Snails"?
9. What objectives do Mrs. Smith and Buffy reveal in scene "B" of "Greeks (or the Slugs)"?
10. What does the cockroach represent in "Snails"?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)