|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is shown onstage in the opening of "Betting on the Dust Commander"?
(a) People cheering.
(b) A wedding cake.
(c) Slides of Lucius and Mare getting married.
(d) A preist.
2. Who arrives looking for the person with the cockroach bites in scene "F" of "Snails"?
3. What does Lucius criticize Mare for not doing correctly in scene "B" of "Betting on the Dust Commander"?
(a) Wiping her tears.
(b) Baking bread.
(c) Mopping the floor.
(d) Washing the dishes.
4. Where does Mr. Sergeant Smith say he's been posted in scene "C" of "Greeks (or the Slugs)"?
(a) A scorching desert.
(b) A small island.
(c) A lush mountain.
(d) A muggy jungle.
5. What term is used to refer to African American Vernacular English, asserting the independence of this from (standard) English?
Short Answer Questions
1. In scene "B" of "Betting on the Dust Commander," Mare suggests that she and Lucius have children, as they have neither what?
2. Who does Aretha urge to smile in scene "A" of "Open House"?
3. Lucius tells Mare in scene "B" of "Betting on the Dust Commander" that she doesn't pay attention to the little things, comparing them to what?
4. Who writes a letter to Mr. Sergeant Smith in scene "D" of "Greeks (or the Slugs)"?
5. Aretha recalls a conversation with a slave-master named what in scene "D" of "Open House"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news does Molly relate in scene "A" of "Snails"? Who does Charlene describe in the scene?
2. What opening statement defines the essay "An Equation for Black People Onstage"? What does Parks' mean with the statement?
3. In what way did Mr. Sergeant Smith receive his greatest wish in "G" of "Greeks (or the Slugs)"?
4. What does Suzan-Lori Parks imply about African American youth in "Open House"?
5. How are different styles of language juxtaposed in scene "B" of "Open House"?
6. What proposition does Lucius present in scene "B" of "Betting on the Dust Commander"? What did a woman at church criticize him for?
7. In what ways does Parks leave metaphorical interpretation to the audience in "Snails"?
8. Who does the Naturalist describe as needing help in scene "D" of "Snails"?
9. What imagined encounter does Aretha experience in "C" of "Open House"?
10. Who are the characters and what do they reveal in the play "Third Kingdom"?
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)