|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Mr. Sergeant Smith in scene "A" of "Greeks (or the Slugs)"?
(a) At his desk.
(b) In the bathroom.
(d) In the dining room.
2. Who hums in the background in scene "C" of "Open House"?
(a) Charles and Blanca.
(d) Blanca and Anglor.
3. In scene "B" of "Betting on the Dust Commander," Lucius tells Mare that his favorite horse is always what?
(b) Sleeping late.
(c) Eager to race.
4. What is shown onstage in the opening of "Betting on the Dust Commander"?
(a) A preist.
(b) Slides of Lucius and Mare getting married.
(c) People cheering.
(d) A wedding cake.
5. In scene "B" of "Betting on the Dust Commander," Mare complains that Lucius is always going where?
(a) To his friends house.
(b) To the bar.
(c) To the track.
(d) To the library.
Short Answer Questions
1. Aretha is told she has what in scene "C" of "Open House"?
2. Who works with Aretha on the calculations for how many slaves can fit in the bottom of a transport ship in scene "B" of "Open House"?
3. What refers to a musical tradition and style of music that originated at the beginning of the 20th century in African American communities in the Southern United States from a confluence of African and European music traditions?
4. Who is worried about how to take care of the dresses of her two dolls in scene "B" of "Greeks (or the Slugs)"?
5. What does Lucius ask Mare to say at the end of scene "A" of "Betting on the Dust Commander"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways does Parks leave metaphorical interpretation to the audience in "Snails"?
2. In "An Equation for Black People Onstage," what does Parks urge the reader to reconsider?
3. What does Suzan-Lori Parks imply about African American youth in "Open House"?
4. What does Parks relate about the contemporary theatre in "Elements of Style"?
5. What does Lucius criticize Mare for doing improperly in scene "B" of "Betting on the Dust Commander"? What is her criticism of him?
6. What is the relationship like between the younger and older Smiths in "Greeks (or the Slugs)"? How does this relate to other plays in the collection?
7. How are different styles of language juxtaposed in scene "B" of "Open House"?
8. What imagery and sounds are depicted in the opening of "Betting on the Dust Commander"?
9. What action takes place between Lucius and Mare in scene "B" of "Betting on the Dust Commander"?
10. What proposition does Lucius present in scene "B" of "Betting on the Dust Commander"? What did a woman at church criticize him for?
This section contains 1,042 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)