|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What term refers to a vacation or leave of absence granted to an enlisted person?
2. What title of a play in the collection was derived from a phrase in a half-waking dream of the author's?
(b) "The America Play."
(c) "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World."
(d) "Devotees in the Garden of Love."
3. In "An Equation for Black People Onstage" Parks writes, "The bulk of relationships Black people are engaged in onstage is the relationship between the Black and the" what?
(a) "White lifestyle."
(b) "White other."
(c) "White perspective."
(d) "Female other."
4. In scene "B" of "Betting on the Dust Commander," Mare complains that Lucius is always going where?
(a) To his friends house.
(b) To the library.
(c) To the track.
(d) To the bar.
5. What does Mr. Sergeant Smith refer to as a promotion in "Greeks (or the Slugs)"?
(a) A "Mark of superiority."
(b) A "Bump up."
(c) A "Distinction."
(d) An "Elevation."
Short Answer Questions
1. In scene "A" of "Snails," Molly insistently asks Charlene where what are?
2. What does Charlene complain the apartment is infested with in scene "C" of "Snails"?
3. In her opening essays, what does Parks define as "the holding or having of something of one's own"?
4. What does Lucius beat Mare with in scene "B" of "Betting on the Dust Commander"?
5. What is Charlene's name in scene "F" of "Snails"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does race play in "Devotees in the Garden of Love"?
2. What are Lucy and Brazil doing in The America Play, "A - Big Bang"? Where are they?
3. What conversation do Black Man and Black Woman share in "Panel I: Thou Holy Ghost" of "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World"?
4. How are linear and stream-of-consciousness narratives juxtaposed in "Pickling"?
5. In what ways does Parks leave metaphorical interpretation to the audience in "Snails"?
6. What is described about Miss Miss's mother in "Pickling"?
7. In what ways does Madame Odelia Pandahr build suspense in scene "D" of "Devotees in the Garden of Love"?
8. What does the play on words of "Foundling Father" imply in The America Play?
9. What structural format does "The Death of the Last Black Man in the Whole Entire World" follow?
10. What is suggested about Miss Miss's mother (and African Americans in the past) by her descriptions in "Pickling"?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)