|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In scene "B" of "Betting on the Dust Commander," Lucius tells Mare that his favorite horse is always what?
(b) Eager to race.
(d) Sleeping late.
2. What horse does Lucius describe betting successfully on in scene "B" of "Betting on the Dust Commander"?
(a) Mad Monkey.
(b) Gravy Train.
(c) Banana Split.
(d) Dust Commander.
3. In "Elements of Style" Parks suggests that the use of language involves what?
(a) Emotional density.
(b) The throat.
(c) Grammatical understanding.
(d) The entire body.
4. What term refers to a vacation or leave of absence granted to an enlisted person?
5. What does Mr. Sergeant Smith refer to as a promotion in "Greeks (or the Slugs)"?
(a) An "Elevation."
(b) A "Mark of superiority."
(c) A "Bump up."
(d) A "Distinction."
Short Answer Questions
1. When scene "B" of "Betting on the Dust Commander" repeats itself, the flowers are different how?
2. What is the name of the exterminator Charlene intends to call in "C" of "Snails"?
3. What does Lucius beat Mare with in scene "B" of "Betting on the Dust Commander"?
4. In scene "A" of "Greeks (or the Slugs)," Mr. Sergeant Smith uses a simile to describe hiding like what?
5. Who kisses Mr. Sergeant Smith's desk in scene "D" of "Greeks (or the Slugs)"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What imagined encounter does Aretha experience in "C" of "Open House"?
2. What news does Molly relate in scene "A" of "Snails"? Who does Charlene describe in the scene?
3. What opening statement defines the essay "An Equation for Black People Onstage"? What does Parks' mean with the statement?
4. What does the cockroach represent in "Snails"?
5. What stylistic techniques does Parks describe using in her works in "Elements of Style"?
6. What does Parks relate about the contemporary theatre in "Elements of Style"?
7. In what ways does Parks leave metaphorical interpretation to the audience in "Snails"?
8. What does Mr. Sergeant Smith write to his daughter in scene "C" of "Greeks (or the Slugs)"?
9. In "An Equation for Black People Onstage," what does Parks urge the reader to reconsider?
10. How are different styles of language juxtaposed in scene "B" of "Open House"?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)