|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What term refers to a vacation or leave of absence granted to an enlisted person?
2. What does Mare urge Lucius to do in scene "B" of "Betting on the Dust Commander"?
(a) Go to church.
(b) Go to the movies.
(c) Stay home.
(d) Mow the lawn.
3. What does Mr. Sergeant Smith refer to as a promotion in "Greeks (or the Slugs)"?
(a) A "Mark of superiority."
(b) A "Distinction."
(c) A "Bump up."
(d) An "Elevation."
4. Who describes how important it is for everyone in the family to have a clean, pressed appearance in scene "B" of "Greeks (or the Slugs)"?
(a) Mrs. Smith.
(b) Mr. Sergeant Smith.
5. Who works with Aretha on the calculations for how many slaves can fit in the bottom of a transport ship in scene "B" of "Open House"?
(a) Miss Faith.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of scene "C" of "Betting on the Dust Commander," what does Lucius ask Mare to say?
2. Who kisses Mr. Sergeant Smith's desk in scene "D" of "Greeks (or the Slugs)"?
3. Charles speaks to Aretha about the importance of what in scene "E" of "Open House"?
4. Who is speaking in scene "D" of "Snails"?
5. Who arrives looking for the person with the cockroach bites in scene "F" of "Snails"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "An Equation for Black People Onstage," what does Parks urge the reader to reconsider?
2. What objectives do Mrs. Smith and Buffy reveal in scene "B" of "Greeks (or the Slugs)"?
3. Who are the characters and what do they reveal in the play "Third Kingdom"?
4. What is the relationship like between the younger and older Smiths in "Greeks (or the Slugs)"? How does this relate to other plays in the collection?
5. What opening statement defines the essay "An Equation for Black People Onstage"? What does Parks' mean with the statement?
6. What image does Mr. Sergeant Smith project in scene "A" of "Greeks (or the Slugs)"?
7. For what subjects and themes is Suzan-Lori Parks well-known?
8. What action takes place between Lucius and Mare in scene "B" of "Betting on the Dust Commander"?
9. What stylistic techniques does Parks describe using in her works in "Elements of Style"?
10. What issues are discussed between Molly and Charlene in "C" of "Snails"?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)