|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In her opening essays, what does Parks define as "the holding or having of something of one's own"?
2. Where is Mr. Sergeant Smith in scene "A" of "Greeks (or the Slugs)"?
(a) At his desk.
(b) In the bathroom.
(c) In the dining room.
3. How many speakers are featured in the short play "Third Kingdom"?
4. What does Mare urge Lucius to do in scene "B" of "Betting on the Dust Commander"?
(a) Mow the lawn.
(b) Stay home.
(c) Go to the movies.
(d) Go to church.
5. What is the first of four short plays anthologized under the title "Imperceptible Mutabilities in the Third Kingdom"?
Short Answer Questions
1. The children in the beginning of "Open House" are worried about who will take care of what when Aretha is gone?
2. Where does Mr. Sergeant Smith say he's been posted in scene "C" of "Greeks (or the Slugs)"?
3. Where is Lucius planning to go in scene "B" of "Betting on the Dust Commander"?
4. What refers to the discovery, collection, organization, and presentation of information about past events?
5. What man does Aretha tell to be patient in scene "A" of "Open House"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relationship like between the younger and older Smiths in "Greeks (or the Slugs)"? How does this relate to other plays in the collection?
2. Who are the characters and what do they reveal in the play "Third Kingdom"?
3. What metaphors can be discerned by Mare's name in "Betting on the Dust Commander"?
4. What objectives do Mrs. Smith and Buffy reveal in scene "B" of "Greeks (or the Slugs)"?
5. What metaphoric statement is made through repetition in "Betting on the Dust Commander"?
6. What metaphor is central in the play "Open House"?
7. What is the central premise of the essay "Possession"? What play was inspired by a dream?
8. For what subjects and themes is Suzan-Lori Parks well-known?
9. What does Lucius criticize Mare for doing improperly in scene "B" of "Betting on the Dust Commander"? What is her criticism of him?
10. What proposition does Lucius present in scene "B" of "Betting on the Dust Commander"? What did a woman at church criticize him for?
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)