|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Aretha is told she has what in scene "C" of "Open House"?
2. What refers to a musical tradition and style of music that originated at the beginning of the 20th century in African American communities in the Southern United States from a confluence of African and European music traditions?
3. What term is used to refer to African American Vernacular English, asserting the independence of this from (standard) English?
4. What does Lucius criticize Mare for not doing correctly in scene "B" of "Betting on the Dust Commander"?
(a) Wiping her tears.
(b) Baking bread.
(c) Washing the dishes.
(d) Mopping the floor.
5. Who shows Blanca and Anglor through an apartment in scene "F" of "Open House"?
(d) Miss Faith.
6. In scene "B" of "Betting on the Dust Commander," Lucius tells Mare that his favorite horse is always what?
(a) Sleeping late.
(d) Eager to race.
7. In "Elements of Style" Parks urges playwrights to find what in the lines of the characters?
8. In "Elements of Style" Parks suggests that the use of language involves what?
(a) Emotional density.
(b) The throat.
(c) The entire body.
(d) Grammatical understanding.
9. Who works with Aretha on the calculations for how many slaves can fit in the bottom of a transport ship in scene "B" of "Open House"?
(a) Miss Faith.
10. In "Elements of Style" Parks suggests that form defines what, and vice versa?
11. What is an art form that generally refers to movement of the body, usually rhythmic and to music, used as a form of expression or presented in a spiritual or performance setting?
12. In scene "A" of "Greeks (or the Slugs)," Mr. Sergeant Smith uses a simile to describe hiding like what?
(a) A snail.
(b) A frog.
(c) A turtle.
(d) A snake.
13. Who defied her boss' efforts to get her to speak properly in scene "A" of "Snails"?
14. Who is worried about how to take care of the dresses of her two dolls in scene "B" of "Greeks (or the Slugs)"?
15. What "apparatus" used by scientists to disguise their presence so they can observe animals in their natural environment without being noticed is described in "B" of "Snails"?
(a) A "spider."
(b) A "bird."
(c) An "ant."
(d) A "fly."
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells the others to line up and calls out "Land Ho!" in the ending of "Third Kingdom"?
2. Who speaks of developing an unusual friendship with a robber who repeatedly came to her house in scene "A" of "Snails"?
3. What refers to a hypersensitivity to a substance that causes the body to react to any contact with that substance?
4. In her opening essays, what does Parks define as "the holding or having of something of one's own"?
5. Who is watching "Wild Kingdom" in scene "F" of "Snails"?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)