|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mr. Sergeant Smith doing in scene "A" of "Greeks (or the Slugs)"?
(a) Reading a newspaper.
(b) Posing for photographs.
(c) Making a phonecall.
(d) Writing a letter.
2. Who does Aretha urge to smile in scene "A" of "Open House"?
(a) Blanca and Anglor.
(c) Charles and Blanca.
(d) Charles and Anglor.
3. What horse does Lucius describe betting successfully on in scene "B" of "Betting on the Dust Commander"?
(a) Gravy Train.
(b) Banana Split.
(c) Dust Commander.
(d) Mad Monkey.
4. Mrs. Smith explains to her children in scene "D" of "Greeks (or the Slugs)" that their father's posting is how far away?
(a) Two states.
(b) 1,000 miles.
(c) An entire time zone.
(d) An eight hour flight.
5. What is the first of four short plays anthologized under the title "Imperceptible Mutabilities in the Third Kingdom"?
6. What is the speaker at the podium referred to as in scene "B" of "Snails"?
(a) The mayor.
(b) An Optometrist.
(c) A Naturalist.
(d) A policeman.
7. What refers to a musical tradition and style of music that originated at the beginning of the 20th century in African American communities in the Southern United States from a confluence of African and European music traditions?
8. Who arrives looking for the person with the cockroach bites in scene "F" of "Snails"?
9. In "Elements of Style" Parks suggests that the use of language involves what?
(a) Grammatical understanding.
(b) The entire body.
(c) Emotional density.
(d) The throat.
10. In "An Equation for Black People Onstage," Parks calls for African-Americans "to show the world and ourselves our beautiful and powerfully" what?
(a) "Creative minds."
(b) "Accurate wisdom."
(c) "Infinite variety."
(d) "Interesting culture."
11. Where was Suzan-Lori Parks born?
(a) Fort Knox, Kentucky.
(b) Springfield, Illinois.
(c) St. Louis, Missouri.
(d) Nashville, Tennessee.
12. Who describes how important it is for everyone in the family to have a clean, pressed appearance in scene "B" of "Greeks (or the Slugs)"?
(a) Mrs. Smith.
(d) Mr. Sergeant Smith.
13. Aretha recalls a conversation with a slave-master named what in scene "D" of "Open House"?
14. Who prepares to extract Aretha's teeth in scene "D" of "Open House"?
(c) Miss Faith.
15. What does Lucius criticize Mare for not doing correctly in scene "B" of "Betting on the Dust Commander"?
(a) Wiping her tears.
(b) Washing the dishes.
(c) Mopping the floor.
(d) Baking bread.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is an art form that generally refers to movement of the body, usually rhythmic and to music, used as a form of expression or presented in a spiritual or performance setting?
2. What does Lucius ask Mare to say at the end of scene "A" of "Betting on the Dust Commander"?
3. In scene "B" of "Betting on the Dust Commander," Lucius tells Mare that his favorite horse is always what?
4. What term refers to a vacation or leave of absence granted to an enlisted person?
5. In "Elements of Style," Parks suggests that every playwright begin by asking why a story needs to be what?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)