|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In scene "B" of "Open House," Aretha speaks of God looking down on whom?
(b) Miss Faith and Charles.
(d) Her and Charles.
2. In "Elements of Style," Parks suggests that every playwright begin by asking why a story needs to be what?
(a) Shared with others.
(b) Told in detail.
(c) Expressed in the form of a play.
(d) Put on display.
3. What does Lucius beat Mare with in scene "B" of "Betting on the Dust Commander"?
(a) A cord.
(b) A belt.
(c) A riding crop.
(d) His fist.
4. What is shown onstage in the opening of "Betting on the Dust Commander"?
(a) A wedding cake.
(b) A preist.
(c) Slides of Lucius and Mare getting married.
(d) People cheering.
5. Aretha recalls a conversation with a slave-master named what in scene "D" of "Open House"?
6. In "Elements of Style" Parks suggests that form defines what, and vice versa?
7. Who is speaking in scene "D" of "Snails"?
(a) The banker.
(b) The policeman.
(c) The Naturalist.
(d) The priest.
8. Where was Suzan-Lori Parks born?
(a) Nashville, Tennessee.
(b) St. Louis, Missouri.
(c) Springfield, Illinois.
(d) Fort Knox, Kentucky.
9. What word refers to that made conspicuous by excellence; noted; eminent; famous?
10. In scene "A" of "Snails," Molly insistently asks Charlene where what are?
(a) The want ads.
(b) Family photographs.
(c) Her dress.
(d) Her shoes.
11. In what European country did Suzan-Lori Parks spend part of her childhood?
12. Where is Mr. Sergeant Smith in scene "A" of "Greeks (or the Slugs)"?
(a) In the dining room.
(c) At his desk.
(d) In the bathroom.
13. Who is being observed by a cardboard cockroach in "Snails"?
(a) Chona and Vero.
(b) Molly and Charlene.
(c) Veronica and Charlene.
(d) Molly and Veronica.
14. At the end of scene "C" of "Betting on the Dust Commander," what does Lucius ask Mare to say?
(a) "Good luck."
(b) "I'll miss you."
(c) "Bless you."
(d) "I love you."
15. What is the first of four short plays anthologized under the title "Imperceptible Mutabilities in the Third Kingdom"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lucius criticize Mare for not doing correctly in scene "B" of "Betting on the Dust Commander"?
2. When was the Emancipation Proclamation enacted?
3. Lucius describes being known for wearing the same of what every day in scene "B" of "Betting on the Dust Commander"?
4. Who arrives looking for the person with the cockroach bites in scene "F" of "Snails"?
5. What term is used to refer to African American Vernacular English, asserting the independence of this from (standard) English?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)