|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What term is used to refer to African American Vernacular English, asserting the independence of this from (standard) English?
2. Where was Suzan-Lori Parks born?
(a) St. Louis, Missouri.
(b) Fort Knox, Kentucky.
(c) Nashville, Tennessee.
(d) Springfield, Illinois.
3. Who does Lucius describe having criticized him for wearing the same clothes every day in scene "B" of "Betting on the Dust Commander"?
(a) A woman at the gym.
(b) A woman at church.
(c) Their next-door neighbor.
(d) A woman at the track.
4. Who defied her boss' efforts to get her to speak properly in scene "A" of "Snails"?
5. In scene "B" of "Betting on the Dust Commander," Mare complains that Lucius is always going where?
(a) To the track.
(b) To the bar.
(c) To the library.
(d) To his friends house.
6. When scene "B" of "Betting on the Dust Commander" repeats itself, the flowers are different how?
(a) They are gray.
(b) They are fresh.
(c) They are colorful.
(d) They are dead.
7. Lucius describes being known for wearing the same of what every day in scene "B" of "Betting on the Dust Commander"?
(a) White boots.
(b) Cowboy hat.
(c) Bermuda shorts.
(d) Leather jacket.
8. What is broken on the attire of Lucius in "Betting on the Dust Commander"?
(a) His shoelace is broken.
(b) His zipper.
(c) His glasses.
(d) A button is missing.
9. How many children do the Smiths have in "Greeks (or the Slugs)"?
10. Who worries that her father doesn't like her in scene "D" of "Greeks (or the Slugs)"?
(b) Mrs. Smith.
11. What does Lucius criticize Mare for not doing correctly in scene "B" of "Betting on the Dust Commander"?
(a) Washing the dishes.
(b) Wiping her tears.
(c) Baking bread.
(d) Mopping the floor.
12. In "Snail," scene "C," Molly announces her decision to not make a career out of what?
(b) Being down and out.
13. What does Charlene complain the apartment is infested with in scene "C" of "Snails"?
14. What does Mr. Sergeant Smith refer to as a promotion in "Greeks (or the Slugs)"?
(a) An "Elevation."
(b) A "Bump up."
(c) A "Distinction."
(d) A "Mark of superiority."
15. In "Elements of Style" Parks suggests that the use of language involves what?
(a) Grammatical understanding.
(b) The entire body.
(c) The throat.
(d) Emotional density.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "An Equation for Black People Onstage," Parks calls for African-Americans "to show the world and ourselves our beautiful and powerfully" what?
2. Who kisses Mr. Sergeant Smith's desk in scene "D" of "Greeks (or the Slugs)"?
3. In her opening essays, what does Parks define as "the holding or having of something of one's own"?
4. Who is speaking in scene "D" of "Snails"?
5. Who describes how important it is for everyone in the family to have a clean, pressed appearance in scene "B" of "Greeks (or the Slugs)"?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)