|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Coulter reach for in her bag?
2. What do the daemons tell Will and Lyra is the reason that the Dust has been leaving the worlds?
3. What does Mary say about love when Lyra says that witches are fierce?
4. What does Mary suddenly realize is true about all living material?
5. Who arrives suddenly while Will and Lyra are beginning to be attacked by the horsemen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Father Gomez didn't want to hurt Will.
1) Explain why he was alright with hurting Lyra but not Will.
2) What did it reveal to the reader about Father Gomez that he had been asking forgiveness for killing Lyra long before he had done it so that he would be absolved of the sin?
Essay Topic 2
Mary realized that the alethiometer and the Subtle Knife were created at the same point in time. What connection do the alethiometer and the knife have? Why was it important to know that they had been created at the same time? Are they complimentary to one other, or in opposition? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Will is forced to take care of his mother.
1) Given Will's age what does it say that he tries so hard to take care of his mother?
2) Why is Will so frightened of going to live in a home? Of his mother going to an institution?
3) Was Will's role with his mother crucial to the story? Explain.
This section contains 318 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)