|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mrs. Coulter demand to see when she arrives at the College of St. Jerome?
2. What does Mrs. Coulter say she wants Asriel to know before he dies?
3. Why does Mary not call out to Will and Lyra?
4. What do the daemons tell Will and Lyra is the reason that the Dust has been leaving the worlds?
5. What does Serafina tell Mary that she could teach Mary to do if they had the time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
THE AMBER SPYGLASS is the third book in the series.
1) Is it necessary to have read the other books to understand this one?
2) What are some of the plots that are unanswered in the story?
3) Does it add or detract from the book to have a plot or subplot left open.
Essay Topic 2
1) Why did Tialys and the Lady decide not to talk about the fact that they were dying?
2) In what way was death portrayed in the book? Did it change the perception of death to have it suddenly arrive as a person that is kind?
3) What did Will mean when he said if he killed the frog they would be taking it with them?
Essay Topic 3
What role did the witches play in the story? What did it signify that Will and Lyra were now part of their clan. Mary was never told that she was a witch but Serafina Pekkala did tell her that she had a sister and showed Mary how to see her daemon. What does this indicate to the reader about Mary? Explain.
This section contains 342 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)