|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary suddenly realize is true about all living material?
2. What does Mary say is an important animal in the Mulefa's world and is looked after?
3. What does Mrs. Coulter ask Metatron to do in order to prove that he may trust her?
4. What happens when Mary tries to climb her tree?
5. What does Mrs. Coulter see the angels carrying?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Dust, Shadows and Sraf are all the same thing. Explain the difference between Dust and the angels.
2) Angels were said to have worked Mary Malones machine. Was her machine worked by the same thing as the alethiometer? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the angels.
1) How are the angels in the story different from how angels are normally depicted.
2) Could a different creature have been substituted for the angels and created the same reaction from the reader? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
What role did the witches play in the story? What did it signify that Will and Lyra were now part of their clan. Mary was never told that she was a witch but Serafina Pekkala did tell her that she had a sister and showed Mary how to see her daemon. What does this indicate to the reader about Mary? Explain.
This section contains 1,329 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)