|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mary explain the woman that was in her dreams?
2. What does Mrs. Coulter use to check on Lyra?
3. What does Mary see getting out of the water at night?
4. What is it that catches a glimpse of the angels carrying the Authority in the litter?
5. How does Serafina Pekkala wake Mary Malone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mrs. Coulter is Lyra's mother but they have a non traditional relationship. Explain the relationship between this mother and daughter pair as it appears in the first of the book. Explain how it is different at the end of the book. What events take place that cause these changes?
Essay Topic 2
Mary realized that the alethiometer and the Subtle Knife were created at the same point in time. What connection do the alethiometer and the knife have? Why was it important to know that they had been created at the same time? Are they complimentary to one other, or in opposition? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Father Gomez didn't want to hurt Will.
1) Explain why he was alright with hurting Lyra but not Will.
2) What did it reveal to the reader about Father Gomez that he had been asking forgiveness for killing Lyra long before he had done it so that he would be absolved of the sin?
This section contains 267 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)