|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mrs. Coulter describe the key that unlocks her cuffs to Roke?
2. What does Father Gomez see when a bird hisses at him?
3. What does Father Gomez realize about the large birds?
4. What does Serafina tell the daemons they must do?
5. What does Will tell his father that Will is not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Will is forced to take care of his mother.
1) Given Will's age what does it say that he tries so hard to take care of his mother?
2) Why is Will so frightened of going to live in a home? Of his mother going to an institution?
3) Was Will's role with his mother crucial to the story? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
There is a lot of reference to the Bible in the story.
1) Why did the author choose to focus on the bible as a basis for his story line?
2) How does it change the story to have it based on the Bible theme? How would it have been different if there had been no mention of Eve, God or Enoch?
3) Does the book seem to aim the reader at an anti-God feeling? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the knife. Why was the thought of Will's mother and eventually the thought of Lyra enough to break the knife? When Iorek had said that the knife might have intentions of it's own was he right? Did the knife have a consciousness? Explain.
This section contains 327 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)