|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is waiting for Lee when he lets himself leave the earth?
2. How does Mrs. Coulter describe the key that unlocks her cuffs to Roke?
3. What does the old woman's ghost tell Mary before the ghost disappears?
4. What does Will and Lyra see over head while they are running through the battle field?
5. What's the reason for the sudden turn in the attack while Lyra and Will are watching the battle through the window?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the different quests that the characters in the book were on.
1) What was the ultimate quest of Will? Lyra?
2) Did any of the characters in the book truly know what their part in the story was from the beginning? Give examples.
3) Did the quests stay the same for the characters through the story? Explain. Did this add to the story or detract?
Essay Topic 2
1) Why did Tialys and the Lady decide not to talk about the fact that they were dying?
2) In what way was death portrayed in the book? Did it change the perception of death to have it suddenly arrive as a person that is kind?
3) What did Will mean when he said if he killed the frog they would be taking it with them?
Essay Topic 3
Will and Lyra had shared many things.
1) Did it add anything to the story to know that Will and Lyra were both witches? Explain the importance of this information.
2) Why did Lyra and Will have to part at the end of the story?
3) Is it possible that they are ever able to find a way to be together? Explain your reasoning.
This section contains 348 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)