|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Coulter use to check on Lyra?
2. What is it that Lord Asriel finds in the tunnel that illuminates it?
3. Who is Mrs. Coulter surprised to find in her room when Father MacPhail has her locked in?
4. What is Mrs. Coulter and Arsiel's plan?
5. What does Mary suddenly realize is true about all living material?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Global Warming was tied into the story with Iorek and his clan forced to move to find a different home.
1) Why did the author put this factor into the story? What impression does it give the reader?
2) How would the story have been different if there had been no mention of the global warming?
3) What other aspects of the book tie to things currently happening in the world? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Will and Lyra had shared many things.
1) Did it add anything to the story to know that Will and Lyra were both witches? Explain the importance of this information.
2) Why did Lyra and Will have to part at the end of the story?
3) Is it possible that they are ever able to find a way to be together? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Father Gomez appeared he was going to take a large part in the story.
1) Why did the author never allow Father Gomez to be seen by the children?
2) What was the significance of the angel killing Father Gomez? Why didn't he go and tell the children?
3) What did it give to the reader to see Father Gomez and his tracking of Lyra through Mary? Explain.
This section contains 1,310 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)