|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary realize is happening to the Dust?
2. Who is Mrs. Coulter surprised to find in her room when Father MacPhail has her locked in?
3. Where does John Parry explain that Lyra and Will's daemon's have gone?
4. What happens to Mary while she is swaying on the platform in the tree tops?
5. What does Asriel say that humans have that make them stronger than angels?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the different quests that the characters in the book were on.
1) What was the ultimate quest of Will? Lyra?
2) Did any of the characters in the book truly know what their part in the story was from the beginning? Give examples.
3) Did the quests stay the same for the characters through the story? Explain. Did this add to the story or detract?
Essay Topic 2
Will and Lyra had shared many things.
1) Did it add anything to the story to know that Will and Lyra were both witches? Explain the importance of this information.
2) Why did Lyra and Will have to part at the end of the story?
3) Is it possible that they are ever able to find a way to be together? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Iorek eats Lee's body earlier on in the story. What does this tell the reader and was it significant that the reader know that Iorek had eaten Lee's body? Explain. In cannibalistic cultures, it was believed that devouring someone could give the eater part of the creatures memories or characteristics. Do you think this has a bearing on Iorek's decision? Why or why not?
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)