|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary see when the Mulefa from the neighboring village come to get her?
2. What does Mary say is an important animal in the Mulefa's world and is looked after?
3. What does Mary say about love when Lyra says that witches are fierce?
4. What does Metatron intend to do to get Lyra and Will to side with him?
5. What is the waterfall of Saint-Jean-Les-Eaux used for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Will and Lyra had shared many things.
1) Did it add anything to the story to know that Will and Lyra were both witches? Explain the importance of this information.
2) Why did Lyra and Will have to part at the end of the story?
3) Is it possible that they are ever able to find a way to be together? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
1) Why did Tialys and the Lady decide not to talk about the fact that they were dying?
2) In what way was death portrayed in the book? Did it change the perception of death to have it suddenly arrive as a person that is kind?
3) What did Will mean when he said if he killed the frog they would be taking it with them?
Essay Topic 3
Will is forced to take care of his mother.
1) Given Will's age what does it say that he tries so hard to take care of his mother?
2) Why is Will so frightened of going to live in a home? Of his mother going to an institution?
3) Was Will's role with his mother crucial to the story? Explain.
This section contains 1,327 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)