|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is happening which makes Roke's task even more dangerous?
2. Why does Mrs. Coulter say that she didn't turn her daughter over to the Church?
3. What does the Lady begin feeding her dragonfly in order to keep it alive?
4. What does Lyra suggest that Will's daemon would be good at?
5. What does Mrs. Coulter say she wants Asriel to know before he dies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Dust, Shadows and Sraf are all the same thing. Explain the difference between Dust and the angels.
2) Angels were said to have worked Mary Malones machine. Was her machine worked by the same thing as the alethiometer? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Father Gomez appeared he was going to take a large part in the story.
1) Why did the author never allow Father Gomez to be seen by the children?
2) What was the significance of the angel killing Father Gomez? Why didn't he go and tell the children?
3) What did it give to the reader to see Father Gomez and his tracking of Lyra through Mary? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
What role did the witches play in the story? What did it signify that Will and Lyra were now part of their clan. Mary was never told that she was a witch but Serafina Pekkala did tell her that she had a sister and showed Mary how to see her daemon. What does this indicate to the reader about Mary? Explain.
This section contains 289 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)