|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the old woman's ghost tell Mary before the ghost disappears?
2. What do Will and Lyra tell Mary that they are going out for?
3. What does Father MacPhail accuse Mrs. Coulter of?
4. What does Mary suddenly realize is true about all living material?
5. What is it that Lord Asriel finds in the tunnel that illuminates it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
THE AMBER SPYGLASS is the third book in the series.
1) Is it necessary to have read the other books to understand this one?
2) What are some of the plots that are unanswered in the story?
3) Does it add or detract from the book to have a plot or subplot left open.
Essay Topic 2
Mary realized that the alethiometer and the Subtle Knife were created at the same point in time. What connection do the alethiometer and the knife have? Why was it important to know that they had been created at the same time? Are they complimentary to one other, or in opposition? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Mrs. Coulter and Lord Asriel are Lyra's parents.
1) Speculate on the reason that they were so willing to kill Lyra earlier in the series. What drove Mrs. Coulter and Lord Asriel?
2) What had changed at the end of the story Making them willing to sacrifice themselves for Lyra?
3) Did Mrs. Coulter and Lord Asriel love Lyra? Was this love typical of what a parents love should be? Explain.
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)