|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Lady begin feeding her dragonfly in order to keep it alive?
2. What does Mrs. Coulter say she wants Asriel to know before he dies?
3. What name does Lyra give the Harpy that saved her?
4. What does Mrs. Coulter say that she and Lord Asriel should have done?
5. What does Father Gomez realize about the large birds?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Iorek eats Lee's body earlier on in the story. What does this tell the reader and was it significant that the reader know that Iorek had eaten Lee's body? Explain. In cannibalistic cultures, it was believed that devouring someone could give the eater part of the creatures memories or characteristics. Do you think this has a bearing on Iorek's decision? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Love seems to play a large role in the story.
1) How would the story have been different if there had been no love themes introduced?
2) What characters in the story other than Lyra and Will have a love theme surrounding them? Explain.
3) What was meant by 'love is ferocious'? Is this true? Explain?
Essay Topic 3
Global Warming was tied into the story with Iorek and his clan forced to move to find a different home.
1) Why did the author put this factor into the story? What impression does it give the reader?
2) How would the story have been different if there had been no mention of the global warming?
3) What other aspects of the book tie to things currently happening in the world? Explain.
This section contains 1,308 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)