|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mrs. Coulter demand to see when she arrives at the College of St. Jerome?
2. What does Mary see when the Mulefa from the neighboring village come to get her?
3. What does MacPhail intend to do since Mrs. Coulter is no longer a captive to be sacrificed for the necessary energy to detonate the bomb aimed at killing Lyra?
4. What does the Lady begin feeding her dragonfly in order to keep it alive?
5. What sensation do both Will and Lyra feel that lets them know that their daemons are in danger?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Will is forced to take care of his mother.
1) Given Will's age what does it say that he tries so hard to take care of his mother?
2) Why is Will so frightened of going to live in a home? Of his mother going to an institution?
3) Was Will's role with his mother crucial to the story? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Love seems to play a large role in the story.
1) How would the story have been different if there had been no love themes introduced?
2) What characters in the story other than Lyra and Will have a love theme surrounding them? Explain.
3) What was meant by 'love is ferocious'? Is this true? Explain?
Essay Topic 3
Global Warming was tied into the story with Iorek and his clan forced to move to find a different home.
1) Why did the author put this factor into the story? What impression does it give the reader?
2) How would the story have been different if there had been no mention of the global warming?
3) What other aspects of the book tie to things currently happening in the world? Explain.
This section contains 330 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)