|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Xaphania say it was that allowed Lyra to read the compass?
2. How does Mrs. Coulter tell them she arrived at the College?
3. What does Mrs. Coulter say she wants Asriel to know before he dies?
4. Who finds Will and Lyra in the new world they are in?
5. What does Mary suddenly realize is true about all living material?
Essay Topic 1
Father Gomez appeared he was going to take a large part in the story.
1) Why did the author never allow Father Gomez to be seen by the children?
2) What was the significance of the angel killing Father Gomez? Why didn't he go and tell the children?
3) What did it give to the reader to see Father Gomez and his tracking of Lyra through Mary? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the angels.
1) How are the angels in the story different from how angels are normally depicted.
2) Could a different creature have been substituted for the angels and created the same reaction from the reader? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
THE AMBER SPYGLASS is the third book in the series.
1) Is it necessary to have read the other books to understand this one?
2) What are some of the plots that are unanswered in the story?
3) Does it add or detract from the book to have a plot or subplot left open.
This section contains 1,316 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)