|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has been following Will and Lyra?
2. What do the daemons tell Will and Lyra is the reason that the Dust has been leaving the worlds?
3. What does Xaphania say it was that allowed Lyra to read the compass?
4. What does Mrs. Coulter see the angels carrying?
5. Who comes and talks with Will and Lyra's daemons?
Essay Topic 1
Will is forced to take care of his mother.
1) Given Will's age what does it say that he tries so hard to take care of his mother?
2) Why is Will so frightened of going to live in a home? Of his mother going to an institution?
3) Was Will's role with his mother crucial to the story? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Mrs. Coulter and Lord Asriel are Lyra's parents.
1) Speculate on the reason that they were so willing to kill Lyra earlier in the series. What drove Mrs. Coulter and Lord Asriel?
2) What had changed at the end of the story Making them willing to sacrifice themselves for Lyra?
3) Did Mrs. Coulter and Lord Asriel love Lyra? Was this love typical of what a parents love should be? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
There is a lot of reference to the Bible in the story.
1) Why did the author choose to focus on the bible as a basis for his story line?
2) How does it change the story to have it based on the Bible theme? How would it have been different if there had been no mention of Eve, God or Enoch?
3) Does the book seem to aim the reader at an anti-God feeling? Explain.
This section contains 1,307 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)