|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Father Gomez find himself while following Mary's path?
2. What makes it hard to communicate with the ghosts?
3. What change does Tialys note has happened in the Lady?
4. What will be unique about Lord Asriel's new world that he hopes to create?
5. What does Iorek do when he comes upon Lee's body?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Coulter tell Will in Chapter 11 that she is trying to do for Lyra?
2. What does Mary realize that the matter is trying to do?
3. What happens when Tialys tells Will and Lyra he hears horses and they should hide themselves?
4. What does the alethiometer say in Chapter 14 when Lyra asks it about the knife's intentions?
5. What does the angel tell Lord Asriel about the knife bearer before he dies?
6. Describe the scene in which Ama asks Mrs. Coulter if she has an evil spirit with her.
7. Describe Balthamos actions in Chapter 8 when he learns that Burach is dead.
8. What happens in Chapter 13 when Will and Lyra are first introduced to the Gallivespian spies and they tell Will and Lyra that they have to go to Lord Asriel?
9. What does Sattamax tell Mary that they need her help with?
10. What happens at the end of Chapter 16 after Mrs. Coulter is shown the intention craft?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a lot of reference to the Bible in the story.
1) Why did the author choose to focus on the bible as a basis for his story line?
2) How does it change the story to have it based on the Bible theme? How would it have been different if there had been no mention of Eve, God or Enoch?
3) Does the book seem to aim the reader at an anti-God feeling? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the knife. Why was the thought of Will's mother and eventually the thought of Lyra enough to break the knife? When Iorek had said that the knife might have intentions of it's own was he right? Did the knife have a consciousness? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Father Gomez appeared he was going to take a large part in the story.
1) Why did the author never allow Father Gomez to be seen by the children?
2) What was the significance of the angel killing Father Gomez? Why didn't he go and tell the children?
3) What did it give to the reader to see Father Gomez and his tracking of Lyra through Mary? Explain.
This section contains 1,137 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)