|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What have the Chevalier Tialys and the Lady Salmakia brought with them?
2. What confuses the Mulefa about Mary needing the device she has created to see Shadow?
3. What does the Lady say it will mean if she dies while going with Lyra to the world of the dead?
4. What makes it hard to communicate with the ghosts?
5. What are the bears on a journey to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene where Brother Louis comes to take away Mrs. Coulter's necklace.
2. Why does Serafin Pekkala break her arrow?
3. Describe the meeting between Mary and the Mulefa in Chapter 7.
4. What does Marry notice about the Mulefa and the way that they live with each other in Chapter 10?
5. What connection does Mary make between the worlds and the events that all began to happen three hundred years ago as described in chapter twenty-seven?
6. What does Lyra do when her own death appears?
7. What do Lyra and Will decide about their daemons when they awake.
8. What are Will and Lyra's reaction when they first see what it was that the ghasts were attacking?
9. Describe the scene when Mary is taken to the Mulefa village where the ghosts are coming through the window.
10. In Chapter 20 what does Mary explain is happening that is causing the seed pods to dwindle in number?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Will is forced to take care of his mother.
1) Given Will's age what does it say that he tries so hard to take care of his mother?
2) Why is Will so frightened of going to live in a home? Of his mother going to an institution?
3) Was Will's role with his mother crucial to the story? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
1) Dust, Shadows and Sraf are all the same thing. Explain the difference between Dust and the angels.
2) Angels were said to have worked Mary Malones machine. Was her machine worked by the same thing as the alethiometer? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Mrs. Coulter is Lyra's mother but they have a non traditional relationship. Explain the relationship between this mother and daughter pair as it appears in the first of the book. Explain how it is different at the end of the book. What events take place that cause these changes?
This section contains 1,089 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)