|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lyra tell Roger that she now believes is her destiny?
2. Who does Mrs. Coulter look like to Will causing him to drop the knife?
3. What is it that causes Father Gomez to find the window that Mary went through?
4. Who does Ama say that she wants to help?
5. What does Tialys tell Will that they must do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Will refuses to kill the toad despite Tialys' suggestion that doing so would be merciful.
2. What are Will and Lyra's reaction when they first see what it was that the ghasts were attacking?
3. What is the response of the Gallivespians when Will and Lyra tell them they are going to the world of the dead?
4. What happens at the end of Chapter 16 after Mrs. Coulter is shown the intention craft?
5. What does Tialys say when Lee and John ask him if he will live long enough to see the world again?
6. What do Will and Mary decide when they talk about the possibility of getting married when they get older?
7. Describe the feelings that Mary has from being in the tree tops as it is explained in chapter twenty-seven.
8. Explain how Will breaks the knife in Chapter 38.
9. What is the condition and frame of mind of the two Gallivespians as they ride on Lyra and Will's shoulder at the beginning of chapter twenty-nine?
10. What does Mary say about missing God?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role did the witches play in the story? What did it signify that Will and Lyra were now part of their clan. Mary was never told that she was a witch but Serafina Pekkala did tell her that she had a sister and showed Mary how to see her daemon. What does this indicate to the reader about Mary? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Love seems to play a large role in the story.
1) How would the story have been different if there had been no love themes introduced?
2) What characters in the story other than Lyra and Will have a love theme surrounding them? Explain.
3) What was meant by 'love is ferocious'? Is this true? Explain?
Essay Topic 3
When Mary and Will return to their world she tells him that she will look after him and help him if she can.
1) Was it necessary that Will have Mary? Explain.
2) How would Will's return to his world have been different without her?
This section contains 1,034 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)