|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lyra tell Roger that she now believes is her destiny?
2. What does Lady Salmakia find out the Church believes about Lyra?
3. What does Lord Asriel begin to hunt for with the help of the alethiometer?
4. What does Will discover about the Harpies and their intentions?
5. What is Father Gomez sent to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Will breaks the knife in Chapter 38.
2. What happens in Chapter 13 when Will and Lyra are first introduced to the Gallivespian spies and they tell Will and Lyra that they have to go to Lord Asriel?
3. What happens when Lyra begins to tell Roger about Will?
4. What does Mary tell Lyra and Will about why she quit being a nun?
5. What does Mary realize that the matter is trying to do?
6. What makes Tialys angry when Lyra is telling her and Will's story while in the Suburb of the death in Chapter 19?
7. Describe the scene in Chapter 21 when Lyra has to leave Pantalaimon behind on the shore.
8. When Mary shows Serafina the amber spyglass and Serafina sees the Dust how does Mary explain how it happened to settle on Will and Lyra?
9. What does Mary say about missing God?
10. Describe the scene in which Ama asks Mrs. Coulter if she has an evil spirit with her.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Iorek eats Lee's body earlier on in the story. What does this tell the reader and was it significant that the reader know that Iorek had eaten Lee's body? Explain. In cannibalistic cultures, it was believed that devouring someone could give the eater part of the creatures memories or characteristics. Do you think this has a bearing on Iorek's decision? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Mary realized that the alethiometer and the Subtle Knife were created at the same point in time. What connection do the alethiometer and the knife have? Why was it important to know that they had been created at the same time? Are they complimentary to one other, or in opposition? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
1) Why was it Will and Lyra that suddenly changed the flow of the Dust?
2) Explain why no one else could have changed the flow of the Dust or could they have?
This section contains 2,076 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)