|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lyra and Will tell the Gallivespians that they must do before they go to Lord Asriel?
2. What does Lyra find while she is arguing with Tialys?
3. What thought comes to Will's mind and almost causes him to break the knife a second time?
4. What does Lord Asriel begin to hunt for with the help of the alethiometer?
5. What does Mary make in order to put the ropes over the branches in the high trees?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mary say about missing God?
2. What does Tialys say when Lee and John ask him if he will live long enough to see the world again?
3. Describe the scene in which Father MacPhail is attempting to set off the mahine that will kill Lyra.
4. What happens when Tialys tells Will and Lyra he hears horses and they should hide themselves?
5. How does Asriel describe the cloud mountain seen in chapter twenty-eight?
6. In chapter twenty-five what does Mrs. Coulter tell the young man that is supposed to be watching her as she begins to get out of the gyropter?
7. Explain why Will refuses to kill the toad despite Tialys' suggestion that doing so would be merciful.
8. What does Iorek tell Lyra happened when he and Will met and what it meant for Iorek as he tells it in Chapter 15?
9. What does Will tell Lyra when she is worried that she has lost the ability to lie, the only thing she feels she is good at?
10. In Chapter 20 what does Mary explain is happening that is causing the seed pods to dwindle in number?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Why did Tialys and the Lady decide not to talk about the fact that they were dying?
2) In what way was death portrayed in the book? Did it change the perception of death to have it suddenly arrive as a person that is kind?
3) What did Will mean when he said if he killed the frog they would be taking it with them?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the different quests that the characters in the book were on.
1) What was the ultimate quest of Will? Lyra?
2) Did any of the characters in the book truly know what their part in the story was from the beginning? Give examples.
3) Did the quests stay the same for the characters through the story? Explain. Did this add to the story or detract?
Essay Topic 3
1) Dust, Shadows and Sraf are all the same thing. Explain the difference between Dust and the angels.
2) Angels were said to have worked Mary Malones machine. Was her machine worked by the same thing as the alethiometer? Explain.
This section contains 2,033 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)