|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the man tell Lyra and Will is the name of the place they have traveled to?
2. What does Mary make in order to put the ropes over the branches in the high trees?
3. What does King Ogunwe say that Lord Asriel is trying to create?
4. What does Atal do when Mary finally returns to the ground?
5. What had Mary told the Mulefa was needed in order for her spyglass to work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene in Chapter 22 where the ghost children begin talking to Lyra and Will about their daemons.
2. What is the dilemma that Will faces when he learns that he must destroy the knife in Chapter 37?
3. What does Will tell Lyra when she is worried that she has lost the ability to lie, the only thing she feels she is good at?
4. What does Mary think will happen if the Dust is gone as described in Chapter 34?
5. Describe the feeling that Will has while Lyra is calling for Pan?
6. What does Lee Scorseby and John Parry instruct Will to do in order to save Lyra?
7. Describe the scene where Brother Louis comes to take away Mrs. Coulter's necklace.
8. What makes Tialys angry when Lyra is telling her and Will's story while in the Suburb of the death in Chapter 19?
9. What does Lyra do when her own death appears?
10. What do the angels look like to Will?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a lot of reference to the Bible in the story.
1) Why did the author choose to focus on the bible as a basis for his story line?
2) How does it change the story to have it based on the Bible theme? How would it have been different if there had been no mention of Eve, God or Enoch?
3) Does the book seem to aim the reader at an anti-God feeling? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Iorek eats Lee's body earlier on in the story. What does this tell the reader and was it significant that the reader know that Iorek had eaten Lee's body? Explain. In cannibalistic cultures, it was believed that devouring someone could give the eater part of the creatures memories or characteristics. Do you think this has a bearing on Iorek's decision? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
1) Dust, Shadows and Sraf are all the same thing. Explain the difference between Dust and the angels.
2) Angels were said to have worked Mary Malones machine. Was her machine worked by the same thing as the alethiometer? Explain.
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)