|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the part that Mary Malone had been told to play by her computer before she went through the window to the different world?
2. What will be unique about Lord Asriel's new world that he hopes to create?
3. What does Iorek tell Will will be just as important during the forging of the knife as what Iorek will do?
4. When Lyra begins to stir whose name does she say?
5. Who is Serafina Pekkala looking for in the beginning of chapter three?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Will and Lyra's reaction when they first see what it was that the ghasts were attacking?
2. What does Marry notice about the Mulefa and the way that they live with each other in Chapter 10?
3. What does Iorek tell Lyra happened when he and Will met and what it meant for Iorek as he tells it in Chapter 15?
4. What does Roger explain to Lyra the Harpies do in chapter twenty-three?
5. What is it that makes Ama so mad when she sees Mrs. Coulter in Chapter 4?
6. Although Mary Malone has always wanted to climb trees what is bothering her at the thought of doing it in the Chapter 20?
7. What happens when Tialys tells Will and Lyra he hears horses and they should hide themselves?
8. What does Mary say about missing God?
9. In Chapter 20 what does Mary explain is happening that is causing the seed pods to dwindle in number?
10. Describe the scene in Chapter 37 when Pan and Kirjava tells Lyra and Will that they must close up all the windows.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Father Gomez appeared he was going to take a large part in the story.
1) Why did the author never allow Father Gomez to be seen by the children?
2) What was the significance of the angel killing Father Gomez? Why didn't he go and tell the children?
3) What did it give to the reader to see Father Gomez and his tracking of Lyra through Mary? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Mary realized that the alethiometer and the Subtle Knife were created at the same point in time. What connection do the alethiometer and the knife have? Why was it important to know that they had been created at the same time? Are they complimentary to one other, or in opposition? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
1) Why was it Will and Lyra that suddenly changed the flow of the Dust?
2) Explain why no one else could have changed the flow of the Dust or could they have?
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)