|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the alethiometer tell Lyra to follow in order to find the land of the dead?
2. What does Lyra tell Roger that she now believes is her destiny?
3. What does the man in the suit tell them they will have to wait on before they continue traveling?
4. What do the Gallivespians agree to give to Lyra and Will?
5. What does Mary Malone tell the Mulefa that cause them to laugh?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene in Chapter 37 when Pan and Kirjava tells Lyra and Will that they must close up all the windows.
2. Describe the meeting between Mary and the Mulefa in Chapter 7.
3. What happens when Tialys tells Will and Lyra he hears horses and they should hide themselves?
4. What is Father MacPhail's response when he enters Mrs. Coulter's room?
5. What connection does Mary make between the worlds and the events that all began to happen three hundred years ago as described in chapter twenty-seven?
6. What does the angel tell Lord Asriel about the knife bearer before he dies?
7. Describe the scene when Mary is taken to the Mulefa village where the ghosts are coming through the window.
8. What does the alethiometer say in Chapter 14 when Lyra asks it about the knife's intentions?
9. What makes Tialys angry when Lyra is telling her and Will's story while in the Suburb of the death in Chapter 19?
10. Describe the relationship between Mary and Atal as it is shown in Chapter 17.
Essay Topic 1
Love seems to play a large role in the story.
1) How would the story have been different if there had been no love themes introduced?
2) What characters in the story other than Lyra and Will have a love theme surrounding them? Explain.
3) What was meant by 'love is ferocious'? Is this true? Explain?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the angels.
1) How are the angels in the story different from how angels are normally depicted.
2) Could a different creature have been substituted for the angels and created the same reaction from the reader? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
1) Dust, Shadows and Sraf are all the same thing. Explain the difference between Dust and the angels.
2) Angels were said to have worked Mary Malones machine. Was her machine worked by the same thing as the alethiometer? Explain.
This section contains 2,070 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)