|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Will do to stop the fight between the bears and the towns people?
2. What makes it hard to communicate with the ghosts?
3. What does Will find was left behind when Lyra was taken?
4. Who does Ama go to in order to try and help Mrs. Coulter's daughter?
5. What must Lyra leave on the shore in order to go to the world of the dead?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Iorek tell Lyra happened when he and Will met and what it meant for Iorek as he tells it in Chapter 15?
2. What does Roger explain to Lyra the Harpies do in chapter twenty-three?
3. Describe the scene where Iorek finds Lee's body.
4. What does Mary tell Lyra and Will about why she quit being a nun?
5. Explain the scene that happens between Mrs. Coulter and Lord Asriel in the end of chapter twenty-eight.
6. Describe the scene in Chapter 21 when Lyra has to leave Pantalaimon behind on the shore.
7. What does Mrs. Coulter tell Will in Chapter 11 that she is trying to do for Lyra?
8. What happens in Chapter 12 when Will is trying to get Lyra to wake up?
9. Describe the scene in Chapter 37 when Pan and Kirjava tells Lyra and Will that they must close up all the windows.
10. What happens when Tialys tells Will and Lyra he hears horses and they should hide themselves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Iorek eats Lee's body earlier on in the story. What does this tell the reader and was it significant that the reader know that Iorek had eaten Lee's body? Explain. In cannibalistic cultures, it was believed that devouring someone could give the eater part of the creatures memories or characteristics. Do you think this has a bearing on Iorek's decision? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
1) Why did Tialys and the Lady decide not to talk about the fact that they were dying?
2) In what way was death portrayed in the book? Did it change the perception of death to have it suddenly arrive as a person that is kind?
3) What did Will mean when he said if he killed the frog they would be taking it with them?
Essay Topic 3
There is a lot of reference to the Bible in the story.
1) Why did the author choose to focus on the bible as a basis for his story line?
2) How does it change the story to have it based on the Bible theme? How would it have been different if there had been no mention of Eve, God or Enoch?
3) Does the book seem to aim the reader at an anti-God feeling? Explain.
This section contains 2,070 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)