Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What attacks the Gallivespians when they approach the door?
2. What does Roger try but fail to do when he sees Lyra?
3. What does Lyra tell Roger that she now believes is her destiny?
4. What does Lyra and Will tell the Gallivespians that they must do before they go to Lord Asriel?
5. What makes it hard to communicate with the ghosts?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mary tell Lyra and Will about why she quit being a nun?
2. What does Lee Scorseby and John Parry instruct Will to do in order to save Lyra?
3. What happens in Chapter 13 when Will and Lyra are first introduced to the Gallivespian spies and they tell Will and Lyra that they have to go to Lord Asriel?
4. Describe the scene in Chapter 37 when Pan and Kirjava tells Lyra and Will that they must close up all the windows.
5. Describe the scene in Chapter 22 where the ghost children begin talking to Lyra and Will about their daemons.
6. When Mary shows Serafina the amber spyglass and Serafina sees the Dust how does Mary explain how it happened to settle on Will and Lyra?
7. Explain the scene that happens between Mrs. Coulter and Lord Asriel in the end of chapter twenty-eight.
8. What does the alethiometer say in Chapter 14 when Lyra asks it about the knife's intentions?
9. In Chapter 18 what is seen and what does Will tell Lyra about his thoughts and the reason the knife broke in the first place?
10. What does Metatron see when he looks at Mrs. Coulter?
1) Why did Tialys and the Lady decide not to talk about the fact that they were dying?
2) In what way was death portrayed in the book? Did it change the perception of death to have it suddenly arrive as a person that is kind?
3) What did Will mean when he said if he killed the frog they would be taking it with them?
Global Warming was tied into the story with Iorek and his clan forced to move to find a different home.
1) Why did the author put this factor into the story? What impression does it give the reader?
2) How would the story have been different if there had been no mention of the global warming?
3) What other aspects of the book tie to things currently happening in the world? Explain.
Father Gomez appeared he was going to take a large part in the story.
1) Why did the author never allow Father Gomez to be seen by the children?
2) What was the significance of the angel killing Father Gomez? Why didn't he go and tell the children?
3) What did it give to the reader to see Father Gomez and his tracking of Lyra through Mary? Explain.
This section contains 1,133 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)