|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What effect does Dr. Malone have on the Specters?
2. Why does Mrs. Coulter say that she is keeping Lyra drugged?
3. What does Father Gomez explain is the reason that the Specters don't bother him?
4. What happens to the fox after he tells the Cliff Ghast about Iorek and Serafina?
5. Who does Ama go to in order to try and help Mrs. Coulter's daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Mary shows Serafina the amber spyglass and Serafina sees the Dust how does Mary explain how it happened to settle on Will and Lyra?
2. What is the condition and frame of mind of the two Gallivespians as they ride on Lyra and Will's shoulder at the beginning of chapter twenty-nine?
3. How does Asriel describe the cloud mountain seen in chapter twenty-eight?
4. Describe the scene where Brother Louis comes to take away Mrs. Coulter's necklace.
5. What does Sattamax tell Mary that they need her help with?
6. What is Father MacPhail's response when he enters Mrs. Coulter's room?
7. What does Will tell Lyra when she is worried that she has lost the ability to lie, the only thing she feels she is good at?
8. What does Mary think will happen if the Dust is gone as described in Chapter 34?
9. What do the angels look like to Will?
10. Describe the feelings that Mary has from being in the tree tops as it is explained in chapter twenty-seven.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Global Warming was tied into the story with Iorek and his clan forced to move to find a different home.
1) Why did the author put this factor into the story? What impression does it give the reader?
2) How would the story have been different if there had been no mention of the global warming?
3) What other aspects of the book tie to things currently happening in the world? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the knife. Why was the thought of Will's mother and eventually the thought of Lyra enough to break the knife? When Iorek had said that the knife might have intentions of it's own was he right? Did the knife have a consciousness? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Love seems to play a large role in the story.
1) How would the story have been different if there had been no love themes introduced?
2) What characters in the story other than Lyra and Will have a love theme surrounding them? Explain.
3) What was meant by 'love is ferocious'? Is this true? Explain?
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)