|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Coulter's monkey daemon hear?
2. What does the boatman answer when Will asks if they are dead now too?
3. What do the people alive in the town where Lyra and Will are tell them that people have with them all the time?
4. What is Dr. Mary Malone identified as?
5. What does Will do to stop the fight between the bears and the towns people?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the bears looking for a new home as it is described in Chapter 9?
2. Describe the scene in Chapter 37 when Pan and Kirjava tells Lyra and Will that they must close up all the windows.
3. What do Will and Lyra decide to do once a year in order to feel that they are still close to each other?
4. What does the angel tell Lord Asriel about the knife bearer before he dies?
5. Explain how Will breaks the knife in Chapter 38.
6. Describe the scene where Iorek finds Lee's body.
7. Although Mary Malone has always wanted to climb trees what is bothering her at the thought of doing it in the Chapter 20?
8. What does Mary think will happen if the Dust is gone as described in Chapter 34?
9. Describe the scene where Brother Louis comes to take away Mrs. Coulter's necklace.
10. Describe the meeting between Mary and the Mulefa in Chapter 7.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the knife. Why was the thought of Will's mother and eventually the thought of Lyra enough to break the knife? When Iorek had said that the knife might have intentions of it's own was he right? Did the knife have a consciousness? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
There is a lot of reference to the Bible in the story.
1) Why did the author choose to focus on the bible as a basis for his story line?
2) How does it change the story to have it based on the Bible theme? How would it have been different if there had been no mention of Eve, God or Enoch?
3) Does the book seem to aim the reader at an anti-God feeling? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Mrs. Coulter and Lord Asriel are Lyra's parents.
1) Speculate on the reason that they were so willing to kill Lyra earlier in the series. What drove Mrs. Coulter and Lord Asriel?
2) What had changed at the end of the story Making them willing to sacrifice themselves for Lyra?
3) Did Mrs. Coulter and Lord Asriel love Lyra? Was this love typical of what a parents love should be? Explain.
This section contains 1,037 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)