|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Father Gomez sent to do?
2. Where does Father Gomez find himself while following Mary's path?
3. What will be unique about Lord Asriel's new world that he hopes to create?
4. What does Roger try but fail to do when he sees Lyra?
5. What is Lord Roke's people's job to do in order to help Lord Asriel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the response of the Gallivespians when Will and Lyra tell them they are going to the world of the dead?
2. What does Marry notice about the Mulefa and the way that they live with each other in Chapter 10?
3. What does Mary tell Lyra and Will about why she quit being a nun?
4. What is it that makes Ama so mad when she sees Mrs. Coulter in Chapter 4?
5. Explain the scene that happens between Mrs. Coulter and Lord Asriel in the end of chapter twenty-eight.
6. What makes Tialys angry when Lyra is telling her and Will's story while in the Suburb of the death in Chapter 19?
7. What happens when Tialys tells Will and Lyra he hears horses and they should hide themselves?
8. Describe the scene where Brother Louis comes to take away Mrs. Coulter's necklace.
9. What happens in Chapter 13 when Will and Lyra are first introduced to the Gallivespian spies and they tell Will and Lyra that they have to go to Lord Asriel?
10. What does the angel tell Lord Asriel about the knife bearer before he dies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the angels.
1) How are the angels in the story different from how angels are normally depicted.
2) Could a different creature have been substituted for the angels and created the same reaction from the reader? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
Look at the different quests that the characters in the book were on.
1) What was the ultimate quest of Will? Lyra?
2) Did any of the characters in the book truly know what their part in the story was from the beginning? Give examples.
3) Did the quests stay the same for the characters through the story? Explain. Did this add to the story or detract?
Essay Topic 3
1) Why was it Will and Lyra that suddenly changed the flow of the Dust?
2) Explain why no one else could have changed the flow of the Dust or could they have?
This section contains 1,034 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)