|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Iorek do when he comes upon Lee's body?
2. What does Lord Asriel begin to hunt for with the help of the alethiometer?
3. What does Mary learn that the Mulefa call the Shadows that she is talking about?
4. What does Will ask the angel, Bathalmos, to do before they go into Lyra's world?
5. Who is Serafina Pekkala looking for in the beginning of chapter three?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Will and Lyra's reaction when they first see what it was that the ghasts were attacking?
2. What happens when Lyra begins to tell Roger about Will?
3. What does Sattamax tell Mary that they need her help with?
4. What does the angel tell Lord Asriel about the knife bearer before he dies?
5. What does Will tell Lyra when she is worried that she has lost the ability to lie, the only thing she feels she is good at?
6. Describe the feelings that Mary has from being in the tree tops as it is explained in chapter twenty-seven.
7. What does Iorek tell Lyra happened when he and Will met and what it meant for Iorek as he tells it in Chapter 15?
8. What is the response of the Gallivespians when Will and Lyra tell them they are going to the world of the dead?
9. Describe the relationship between Mary and Atal as it is shown in Chapter 17.
10. Describe the scene where Mrs. Coulter and Lord Asriel defeat Metatron.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Will is forced to take care of his mother.
1) Given Will's age what does it say that he tries so hard to take care of his mother?
2) Why is Will so frightened of going to live in a home? Of his mother going to an institution?
3) Was Will's role with his mother crucial to the story? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Mary realized that the alethiometer and the Subtle Knife were created at the same point in time. What connection do the alethiometer and the knife have? Why was it important to know that they had been created at the same time? Are they complimentary to one other, or in opposition? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Father Gomez didn't want to hurt Will.
1) Explain why he was alright with hurting Lyra but not Will.
2) What did it reveal to the reader about Father Gomez that he had been asking forgiveness for killing Lyra long before he had done it so that he would be absolved of the sin?
This section contains 2,025 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)