|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Will sit down to do while Lyra and Roger talk?
2. What does Lyra tell Will she wants to do when they find Roger and Will's father?
3. What attacks the Gallivespians when they approach the door?
4. What does the Lady say it will mean if she dies while going with Lyra to the world of the dead?
5. What change does Tialys note has happened in the Lady?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the meeting between Mary and the Mulefa in Chapter 7.
2. What does Mary think will happen if the Dust is gone as described in Chapter 34?
3. Describe the feelings that Mary has from being in the tree tops as it is explained in chapter twenty-seven.
4. What does Mary say about missing God?
5. Describe Balthamos actions in Chapter 8 when he learns that Burach is dead.
6. What does the angel tell Lord Asriel about the knife bearer before he dies?
7. Describe the scene when Mary is taken to the Mulefa village where the ghosts are coming through the window.
8. What does Lee Scorseby and John Parry instruct Will to do in order to save Lyra?
9. What happens when Lyra begins to tell Roger about Will?
10. Explain the scene that happens between Mrs. Coulter and Lord Asriel in the end of chapter twenty-eight.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Why did Tialys and the Lady decide not to talk about the fact that they were dying?
2) In what way was death portrayed in the book? Did it change the perception of death to have it suddenly arrive as a person that is kind?
3) What did Will mean when he said if he killed the frog they would be taking it with them?
Essay Topic 2
Iorek eats Lee's body earlier on in the story. What does this tell the reader and was it significant that the reader know that Iorek had eaten Lee's body? Explain. In cannibalistic cultures, it was believed that devouring someone could give the eater part of the creatures memories or characteristics. Do you think this has a bearing on Iorek's decision? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the angels.
1) How are the angels in the story different from how angels are normally depicted.
2) Could a different creature have been substituted for the angels and created the same reaction from the reader? Explain your reasoning.
This section contains 1,040 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)