|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Gallivespian's tell Will and Lyra they must do if they want to go off and talk in private?
2. What does Lyra find while she is arguing with Tialys?
3. Why does Lyra not want to tell the Gallivespians where they are going?
4. What have the Chevalier Tialys and the Lady Salmakia brought with them?
5. What had Mary told the Mulefa was needed in order for her spyglass to work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene where Mrs. Coulter and Lord Asriel defeat Metatron.
2. Explain why Will refuses to kill the toad despite Tialys' suggestion that doing so would be merciful.
3. Describe the scene in Chapter 21 when Lyra has to leave Pantalaimon behind on the shore.
4. What does Tialys say when Lee and John ask him if he will live long enough to see the world again?
5. What does Will explain is the difference in him having to take care of his mother and someone else taking care of her?
6. What does Mary think will happen if the Dust is gone as described in Chapter 34?
7. Describe the scene where Brother Louis comes to take away Mrs. Coulter's necklace.
8. What does Metatron see when he looks at Mrs. Coulter?
9. What happens in Chapter 12 when Will is trying to get Lyra to wake up?
10. Describe the scene in which Father MacPhail is attempting to set off the mahine that will kill Lyra.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Why did Tialys and the Lady decide not to talk about the fact that they were dying?
2) In what way was death portrayed in the book? Did it change the perception of death to have it suddenly arrive as a person that is kind?
3) What did Will mean when he said if he killed the frog they would be taking it with them?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the angels.
1) How are the angels in the story different from how angels are normally depicted.
2) Could a different creature have been substituted for the angels and created the same reaction from the reader? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Will and Lyra had shared many things.
1) Did it add anything to the story to know that Will and Lyra were both witches? Explain the importance of this information.
2) Why did Lyra and Will have to part at the end of the story?
3) Is it possible that they are ever able to find a way to be together? Explain your reasoning.
This section contains 1,120 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)