|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lord Asriel begin to hunt for with the help of the alethiometer?
2. What does the man in the suit tell them they will have to wait on before they continue traveling?
3. What does Lyra tell Roger that she now believes is her destiny?
4. What do the Gallivespian's tell Will and Lyra they must do if they want to go off and talk in private?
5. What is Father Gomez looking for in order to find Lyra?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Will and Lyra's reaction when they first see what it was that the ghasts were attacking?
2. Describe the scene where Brother Louis comes to take away Mrs. Coulter's necklace.
3. Describe the scene in which Ama asks Mrs. Coulter if she has an evil spirit with her.
4. What does Will explain is the difference in him having to take care of his mother and someone else taking care of her?
5. What does Iorek tell Lyra happened when he and Will met and what it meant for Iorek as he tells it in Chapter 15?
6. Describe the scene in Chapter 21 when Lyra has to leave Pantalaimon behind on the shore.
7. In Chapter 20 what does Mary explain is happening that is causing the seed pods to dwindle in number?
8. What does the alethiometer say in Chapter 14 when Lyra asks it about the knife's intentions?
9. When Mary shows Serafina the amber spyglass and Serafina sees the Dust how does Mary explain how it happened to settle on Will and Lyra?
10. Describe the scene where Iorek finds Lee's body.
Essay Topic 1
There is a lot of reference to the Bible in the story.
1) Why did the author choose to focus on the bible as a basis for his story line?
2) How does it change the story to have it based on the Bible theme? How would it have been different if there had been no mention of Eve, God or Enoch?
3) Does the book seem to aim the reader at an anti-God feeling? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Father Gomez appeared he was going to take a large part in the story.
1) Why did the author never allow Father Gomez to be seen by the children?
2) What was the significance of the angel killing Father Gomez? Why didn't he go and tell the children?
3) What did it give to the reader to see Father Gomez and his tracking of Lyra through Mary? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
1) Why was it Will and Lyra that suddenly changed the flow of the Dust?
2) Explain why no one else could have changed the flow of the Dust or could they have?
This section contains 2,112 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)