Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What attacks the Gallivespians when they approach the door?
2. What does Roger try but fail to do when he sees Lyra?
3. What does Lyra tell Roger that she now believes is her destiny?
4. What does Lyra and Will tell the Gallivespians that they must do before they go to Lord Asriel?
5. What makes it hard to communicate with the ghosts?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mary tell Lyra and Will about why she quit being a nun?
2. What does Lee Scorseby and John Parry instruct Will to do in order to save Lyra?
3. What happens in Chapter 13 when Will and Lyra are first introduced to the Gallivespian spies and they tell Will and Lyra that they have to go to Lord Asriel?
4. Describe the scene in Chapter 37 when Pan and Kirjava tells Lyra and Will that they must close up all the windows.
5. Describe the scene in Chapter 22 where the ghost children begin talking to Lyra and Will about their daemons.
6. When Mary shows Serafina the amber spyglass and Serafina sees the Dust how does Mary explain how it happened to settle on Will and Lyra?
7. Explain the scene that happens between Mrs. Coulter and Lord Asriel in the end of chapter twenty-eight.
8. What does the alethiometer say in Chapter 14 when Lyra asks it about the knife's intentions?
9. In Chapter 18 what is seen and what does Will tell Lyra about his thoughts and the reason the knife broke in the first place?
10. What does Metatron see when he looks at Mrs. Coulter?
Essay Topic 1
THE AMBER SPYGLASS is the third book in the series.
1) Is it necessary to have read the other books to understand this one?
2) What are some of the plots that are unanswered in the story?
3) Does it add or detract from the book to have a plot or subplot left open.
Essay Topic 2
1) Dust, Shadows and Sraf are all the same thing. Explain the difference between Dust and the angels.
2) Angels were said to have worked Mary Malones machine. Was her machine worked by the same thing as the alethiometer? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Mary realized that the alethiometer and the Subtle Knife were created at the same point in time. What connection do the alethiometer and the knife have? Why was it important to know that they had been created at the same time? Are they complimentary to one other, or in opposition? Explain your reasoning.
This section contains 1,084 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)