|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lyra ask the alethiometer when she first wakes up?
2. Who does Father Gomez talk to in Cittagazze?
3. What do the children ghosts think when they see the Gallivespian's dragon flies?
4. What do the villagers think that Mrs. Coulter is?
5. What thought comes to Will's mind and almost causes him to break the knife a second time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the alethiometer say in Chapter 14 when Lyra asks it about the knife's intentions?
2. What does Mary realize that the matter is trying to do?
3. Describe the feelings that Mary has from being in the tree tops as it is explained in chapter twenty-seven.
4. Why does Serafin Pekkala break her arrow?
5. How does Asriel describe the cloud mountain seen in chapter twenty-eight?
6. Explain why Will refuses to kill the toad despite Tialys' suggestion that doing so would be merciful.
7. What does Mary tell Lyra and Will about why she quit being a nun?
8. Describe the scene where Mrs. Coulter and Lord Asriel defeat Metatron.
9. What makes Tialys angry when Lyra is telling her and Will's story while in the Suburb of the death in Chapter 19?
10. Describe the meeting between Mary and the Mulefa in Chapter 7.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Why did Tialys and the Lady decide not to talk about the fact that they were dying?
2) In what way was death portrayed in the book? Did it change the perception of death to have it suddenly arrive as a person that is kind?
3) What did Will mean when he said if he killed the frog they would be taking it with them?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the different quests that the characters in the book were on.
1) What was the ultimate quest of Will? Lyra?
2) Did any of the characters in the book truly know what their part in the story was from the beginning? Give examples.
3) Did the quests stay the same for the characters through the story? Explain. Did this add to the story or detract?
Essay Topic 3
Will and Lyra had shared many things.
1) Did it add anything to the story to know that Will and Lyra were both witches? Explain the importance of this information.
2) Why did Lyra and Will have to part at the end of the story?
3) Is it possible that they are ever able to find a way to be together? Explain your reasoning.
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)