|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lord Asriel begin to hunt for with the help of the alethiometer?
2. What is the response of the Gallivespian spies when they find that Lyra and Will don't intend to wait for Lord Asriel's transport for them?
3. What does the alethiometer tell Lyra to follow in order to find the land of the dead?
4. What does Lyra tell Will she wants to do when they find Roger and Will's father?
5. What does Magda's death advise Will and Lyra to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene in which Father MacPhail is attempting to set off the mahine that will kill Lyra.
2. What is it that makes Ama so mad when she sees Mrs. Coulter in Chapter 4?
3. When Mary shows Serafina the amber spyglass and Serafina sees the Dust how does Mary explain how it happened to settle on Will and Lyra?
4. What does Mrs. Coulter tell Will in Chapter 11 that she is trying to do for Lyra?
5. What does Will tell Lyra when she is worried that she has lost the ability to lie, the only thing she feels she is good at?
6. Describe the scene in Chapter 22 where the ghost children begin talking to Lyra and Will about their daemons.
7. In Chapter 20 what does Mary explain is happening that is causing the seed pods to dwindle in number?
8. What is Father MacPhail's response when he enters Mrs. Coulter's room?
9. Describe the feeling that Will has while Lyra is calling for Pan?
10. What do Will and Mary decide when they talk about the possibility of getting married when they get older?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a lot of reference to the Bible in the story.
1) Why did the author choose to focus on the bible as a basis for his story line?
2) How does it change the story to have it based on the Bible theme? How would it have been different if there had been no mention of Eve, God or Enoch?
3) Does the book seem to aim the reader at an anti-God feeling? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Mrs. Coulter is Lyra's mother but they have a non traditional relationship. Explain the relationship between this mother and daughter pair as it appears in the first of the book. Explain how it is different at the end of the book. What events take place that cause these changes?
Essay Topic 3
Love seems to play a large role in the story.
1) How would the story have been different if there had been no love themes introduced?
2) What characters in the story other than Lyra and Will have a love theme surrounding them? Explain.
3) What was meant by 'love is ferocious'? Is this true? Explain?
This section contains 1,102 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)