|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Father Gomez explain is the reason that the Specters don't bother him?
2. What happens to the fox after he tells the Cliff Ghast about Iorek and Serafina?
3. What does the alethiometer tell Lyra to follow in order to find the land of the dead?
4. What is the part that Mary Malone had been told to play by her computer before she went through the window to the different world?
5. What does King Ogunwe say that Lord Asriel is trying to create?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the feeling that Will has while Lyra is calling for Pan?
2. Explain the scene that happens between Mrs. Coulter and Lord Asriel in the end of chapter twenty-eight.
3. What do Lyra and Will decide about their daemons when they awake.
4. What is the condition and frame of mind of the two Gallivespians as they ride on Lyra and Will's shoulder at the beginning of chapter twenty-nine?
5. What does Will explain is the difference in him having to take care of his mother and someone else taking care of her?
6. In chapter twenty-five what does Mrs. Coulter tell the young man that is supposed to be watching her as she begins to get out of the gyropter?
7. What does Iorek tell Lyra happened when he and Will met and what it meant for Iorek as he tells it in Chapter 15?
8. Explain how Will breaks the knife in Chapter 38.
9. What happens in Chapter 12 when Will is trying to get Lyra to wake up?
10. Describe the scene when Mary is taken to the Mulefa village where the ghosts are coming through the window.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Love seems to play a large role in the story.
1) How would the story have been different if there had been no love themes introduced?
2) What characters in the story other than Lyra and Will have a love theme surrounding them? Explain.
3) What was meant by 'love is ferocious'? Is this true? Explain?
Essay Topic 2
Global Warming was tied into the story with Iorek and his clan forced to move to find a different home.
1) Why did the author put this factor into the story? What impression does it give the reader?
2) How would the story have been different if there had been no mention of the global warming?
3) What other aspects of the book tie to things currently happening in the world? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Will and Lyra had shared many things.
1) Did it add anything to the story to know that Will and Lyra were both witches? Explain the importance of this information.
2) Why did Lyra and Will have to part at the end of the story?
3) Is it possible that they are ever able to find a way to be together? Explain your reasoning.
This section contains 2,140 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)