|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What thought comes to Will's mind and almost causes him to break the knife a second time?
2. What have the Chevalier Tialys and the Lady Salmakia brought with them?
3. What does the man in the suit tell them they will have to wait on before they continue traveling?
4. What does Father Gomez explain is the reason that the Specters don't bother him?
5. What does Mary spot about to attack the Mulefa?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Will and Lyra's reaction when they first see what it was that the ghasts were attacking?
2. When Mary shows Serafina the amber spyglass and Serafina sees the Dust how does Mary explain how it happened to settle on Will and Lyra?
3. Why are the bears looking for a new home as it is described in Chapter 9?
4. What is Father MacPhail's response when he enters Mrs. Coulter's room?
5. Although Mary Malone has always wanted to climb trees what is bothering her at the thought of doing it in the Chapter 20?
6. What does Mary think will happen if the Dust is gone as described in Chapter 34?
7. What makes Tialys angry when Lyra is telling her and Will's story while in the Suburb of the death in Chapter 19?
8. What happens in Chapter 13 when Will and Lyra are first introduced to the Gallivespian spies and they tell Will and Lyra that they have to go to Lord Asriel?
9. What happens when Tialys tells Will and Lyra he hears horses and they should hide themselves?
10. What does Will tell Lyra when she is worried that she has lost the ability to lie, the only thing she feels she is good at?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the different quests that the characters in the book were on.
1) What was the ultimate quest of Will? Lyra?
2) Did any of the characters in the book truly know what their part in the story was from the beginning? Give examples.
3) Did the quests stay the same for the characters through the story? Explain. Did this add to the story or detract?
Essay Topic 2
There is a lot of reference to the Bible in the story.
1) Why did the author choose to focus on the bible as a basis for his story line?
2) How does it change the story to have it based on the Bible theme? How would it have been different if there had been no mention of Eve, God or Enoch?
3) Does the book seem to aim the reader at an anti-God feeling? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Mary realized that the alethiometer and the Subtle Knife were created at the same point in time. What connection do the alethiometer and the knife have? Why was it important to know that they had been created at the same time? Are they complimentary to one other, or in opposition? Explain your reasoning.
This section contains 1,086 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)