|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do they see along the road that Tialys says they should kill?
2. What does Will discover about the Harpies and their intentions?
3. What is the part that Mary Malone had been told to play by her computer before she went through the window to the different world?
4. What causes Mrs. Coulter to drop her weapon?
5. What does Mary say she will need to do in order to observer the Dust or Sraf?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene in Chapter 21 when Lyra has to leave Pantalaimon behind on the shore.
2. What is the dilemma that Will faces when he learns that he must destroy the knife in Chapter 37?
3. What happens at the end of Chapter 16 after Mrs. Coulter is shown the intention craft?
4. What does Lee Scorseby and John Parry instruct Will to do in order to save Lyra?
5. What does Mary tell Lyra and Will about why she quit being a nun?
6. What does the angel tell Lord Asriel about the knife bearer before he dies?
7. Describe Balthamos actions in Chapter 8 when he learns that Burach is dead.
8. What does Will explain is the difference in him having to take care of his mother and someone else taking care of her?
9. Describe the feelings that Mary has from being in the tree tops as it is explained in chapter twenty-seven.
10. What does Will tell Lyra when she is worried that she has lost the ability to lie, the only thing she feels she is good at?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role did the witches play in the story? What did it signify that Will and Lyra were now part of their clan. Mary was never told that she was a witch but Serafina Pekkala did tell her that she had a sister and showed Mary how to see her daemon. What does this indicate to the reader about Mary? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Father Gomez didn't want to hurt Will.
1) Explain why he was alright with hurting Lyra but not Will.
2) What did it reveal to the reader about Father Gomez that he had been asking forgiveness for killing Lyra long before he had done it so that he would be absolved of the sin?
Essay Topic 3
Will and Lyra had shared many things.
1) Did it add anything to the story to know that Will and Lyra were both witches? Explain the importance of this information.
2) Why did Lyra and Will have to part at the end of the story?
3) Is it possible that they are ever able to find a way to be together? Explain your reasoning.
This section contains 1,176 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)