|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Iorek say that he will side with in the coming war?
2. What creature does Atal tell Mary spoke to the first of their kind and showed them how to use the seed pods?
3. What does Mrs. Coulter tell Ama has happened to her daughter?
4. What does Will sit down to do while Lyra and Roger talk?
5. What change does Tialys note has happened in the Lady?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mary tell Lyra and Will about why she quit being a nun?
2. Describe Balthamos actions in Chapter 8 when he learns that Burach is dead.
3. What are Will and Lyra's reaction when they first see what it was that the ghasts were attacking?
4. What does the angel tell Lord Asriel about the knife bearer before he dies?
5. What happens in Chapter 13 when Will and Lyra are first introduced to the Gallivespian spies and they tell Will and Lyra that they have to go to Lord Asriel?
6. What is the response of the Gallivespians when Will and Lyra tell them they are going to the world of the dead?
7. When Mary shows Serafina the amber spyglass and Serafina sees the Dust how does Mary explain how it happened to settle on Will and Lyra?
8. What happens when Lyra begins to tell Roger about Will?
9. What does Mary realize that the matter is trying to do?
10. What do Will and Mary decide when they talk about the possibility of getting married when they get older?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Will and Lyra had shared many things.
1) Did it add anything to the story to know that Will and Lyra were both witches? Explain the importance of this information.
2) Why did Lyra and Will have to part at the end of the story?
3) Is it possible that they are ever able to find a way to be together? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the angels.
1) How are the angels in the story different from how angels are normally depicted.
2) Could a different creature have been substituted for the angels and created the same reaction from the reader? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Father Gomez didn't want to hurt Will.
1) Explain why he was alright with hurting Lyra but not Will.
2) What did it reveal to the reader about Father Gomez that he had been asking forgiveness for killing Lyra long before he had done it so that he would be absolved of the sin?
This section contains 1,038 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)