Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What attacks the Gallivespians when they approach the door?
2. What does Roger try but fail to do when he sees Lyra?
3. What does Lyra tell Roger that she now believes is her destiny?
4. What does Lyra and Will tell the Gallivespians that they must do before they go to Lord Asriel?
5. What makes it hard to communicate with the ghosts?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mary tell Lyra and Will about why she quit being a nun?
2. What does Lee Scorseby and John Parry instruct Will to do in order to save Lyra?
3. What happens in Chapter 13 when Will and Lyra are first introduced to the Gallivespian spies and they tell Will and Lyra that they have to go to Lord Asriel?
4. Describe the scene in Chapter 37 when Pan and Kirjava tells Lyra and Will that they must close up all the windows.
5. Describe the scene in Chapter 22 where the ghost children begin talking to Lyra and Will about their daemons.
6. When Mary shows Serafina the amber spyglass and Serafina sees the Dust how does Mary explain how it happened to settle on Will and Lyra?
7. Explain the scene that happens between Mrs. Coulter and Lord Asriel in the end of chapter twenty-eight.
8. What does the alethiometer say in Chapter 14 when Lyra asks it about the knife's intentions?
9. In Chapter 18 what is seen and what does Will tell Lyra about his thoughts and the reason the knife broke in the first place?
10. What does Metatron see when he looks at Mrs. Coulter?
Essay Topic 1
Mrs. Coulter and Lord Asriel are Lyra's parents.
1) Speculate on the reason that they were so willing to kill Lyra earlier in the series. What drove Mrs. Coulter and Lord Asriel?
2) What had changed at the end of the story Making them willing to sacrifice themselves for Lyra?
3) Did Mrs. Coulter and Lord Asriel love Lyra? Was this love typical of what a parents love should be? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the angels.
1) How are the angels in the story different from how angels are normally depicted.
2) Could a different creature have been substituted for the angels and created the same reaction from the reader? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Look at the different quests that the characters in the book were on.
1) What was the ultimate quest of Will? Lyra?
2) Did any of the characters in the book truly know what their part in the story was from the beginning? Give examples.
3) Did the quests stay the same for the characters through the story? Explain. Did this add to the story or detract?
This section contains 1,112 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)