|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the fox after he tells the Cliff Ghast about Iorek and Serafina?
2. What does Tialys tell Will that they must do?
3. What is Father Gomez sent to do?
4. What does King Ogunwe say that Lord Asriel is trying to create?
5. What does Mary tell Atal that Mary must do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Will explain is the difference in him having to take care of his mother and someone else taking care of her?
2. Describe the relationship between Mary and Atal as it is shown in Chapter 17.
3. What does Lee Scorseby and John Parry instruct Will to do in order to save Lyra?
4. Explain why Will refuses to kill the toad despite Tialys' suggestion that doing so would be merciful.
5. What is the condition and frame of mind of the two Gallivespians as they ride on Lyra and Will's shoulder at the beginning of chapter twenty-nine?
6. What does Metatron see when he looks at Mrs. Coulter?
7. Describe the feelings that Mary has from being in the tree tops as it is explained in chapter twenty-seven.
8. What happens when Tialys tells Will and Lyra he hears horses and they should hide themselves?
9. What makes Tialys angry when Lyra is telling her and Will's story while in the Suburb of the death in Chapter 19?
10. Describe the scene in Chapter 37 when Pan and Kirjava tells Lyra and Will that they must close up all the windows.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role did the witches play in the story? What did it signify that Will and Lyra were now part of their clan. Mary was never told that she was a witch but Serafina Pekkala did tell her that she had a sister and showed Mary how to see her daemon. What does this indicate to the reader about Mary? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
When Mary and Will return to their world she tells him that she will look after him and help him if she can.
1) Was it necessary that Will have Mary? Explain.
2) How would Will's return to his world have been different without her?
Essay Topic 3
Will is forced to take care of his mother.
1) Given Will's age what does it say that he tries so hard to take care of his mother?
2) Why is Will so frightened of going to live in a home? Of his mother going to an institution?
3) Was Will's role with his mother crucial to the story? Explain.
This section contains 2,119 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)