|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Coulter's monkey daemon hear?
2. Who does Lord Asriel have called in after Baruch dies?
3. What is Lord Roke's people's job to do in order to help Lord Asriel?
4. What does Will find was left behind when Lyra was taken?
5. What do the children ghosts think when they see the Gallivespian's dragon flies?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter twenty-five what does Mrs. Coulter tell the young man that is supposed to be watching her as she begins to get out of the gyropter?
2. In Chapter 20 what does Mary explain is happening that is causing the seed pods to dwindle in number?
3. Describe the feelings that Mary has from being in the tree tops as it is explained in chapter twenty-seven.
4. What does the alethiometer say in Chapter 14 when Lyra asks it about the knife's intentions?
5. Explain how Will breaks the knife in Chapter 38.
6. What is the response of the Gallivespians when Will and Lyra tell them they are going to the world of the dead?
7. What do the angels look like to Will?
8. What does Metatron see when he looks at Mrs. Coulter?
9. What is the dilemma that Will faces when he learns that he must destroy the knife in Chapter 37?
10. Why does Serafin Pekkala break her arrow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Father Gomez didn't want to hurt Will.
1) Explain why he was alright with hurting Lyra but not Will.
2) What did it reveal to the reader about Father Gomez that he had been asking forgiveness for killing Lyra long before he had done it so that he would be absolved of the sin?
Essay Topic 2
Global Warming was tied into the story with Iorek and his clan forced to move to find a different home.
1) Why did the author put this factor into the story? What impression does it give the reader?
2) How would the story have been different if there had been no mention of the global warming?
3) What other aspects of the book tie to things currently happening in the world? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
1) Why was it Will and Lyra that suddenly changed the flow of the Dust?
2) Explain why no one else could have changed the flow of the Dust or could they have?
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)