|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Will discover about the Harpies and their intentions?
2. Why does Will tell the Lady and Tialys that he hasn't said anything to the ghosts about getting them out?
3. What does Iorek do when he comes upon Lee's body?
4. What does Mary spot about to attack the Mulefa?
5. What does Tialys say has happened to Mrs. Coulter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mary realize that the matter is trying to do?
2. Describe the scene in Chapter 22 where the ghost children begin talking to Lyra and Will about their daemons.
3. What do Will and Mary decide when they talk about the possibility of getting married when they get older?
4. Describe the scene where Mrs. Coulter and Lord Asriel defeat Metatron.
5. What does Mary tell Lyra and Will about why she quit being a nun?
6. What is the condition and frame of mind of the two Gallivespians as they ride on Lyra and Will's shoulder at the beginning of chapter twenty-nine?
7. When Mary shows Serafina the amber spyglass and Serafina sees the Dust how does Mary explain how it happened to settle on Will and Lyra?
8. Describe the scene where Brother Louis comes to take away Mrs. Coulter's necklace.
9. Describe the feeling that Will has while Lyra is calling for Pan?
10. How does Asriel describe the cloud mountain seen in chapter twenty-eight?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mrs. Coulter and Lord Asriel are Lyra's parents.
1) Speculate on the reason that they were so willing to kill Lyra earlier in the series. What drove Mrs. Coulter and Lord Asriel?
2) What had changed at the end of the story Making them willing to sacrifice themselves for Lyra?
3) Did Mrs. Coulter and Lord Asriel love Lyra? Was this love typical of what a parents love should be? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the angels.
1) How are the angels in the story different from how angels are normally depicted.
2) Could a different creature have been substituted for the angels and created the same reaction from the reader? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Will and Lyra had shared many things.
1) Did it add anything to the story to know that Will and Lyra were both witches? Explain the importance of this information.
2) Why did Lyra and Will have to part at the end of the story?
3) Is it possible that they are ever able to find a way to be together? Explain your reasoning.
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)