|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Lady say it will mean if she dies while going with Lyra to the world of the dead?
2. What does one of the harpies scream at Lyra when she begins explaining why they are there?
3. Who does Lyra tell the people that her and Will are?
4. What have the Chevalier Tialys and the Lady Salmakia brought with them?
5. What is the part that Mary Malone had been told to play by her computer before she went through the window to the different world?
Short Essay Questions
1. What connection does Mary make between the worlds and the events that all began to happen three hundred years ago as described in chapter twenty-seven?
2. What do Lyra and Will decide about their daemons when they awake.
3. Describe the scene in Chapter 22 where the ghost children begin talking to Lyra and Will about their daemons.
4. What does Lyra do when her own death appears?
5. Describe Balthamos actions in Chapter 8 when he learns that Burach is dead.
6. What is it that makes Ama so mad when she sees Mrs. Coulter in Chapter 4?
7. What does Metatron see when he looks at Mrs. Coulter?
8. What does Lee Scorseby and John Parry instruct Will to do in order to save Lyra?
9. What does Iorek tell Lyra happened when he and Will met and what it meant for Iorek as he tells it in Chapter 15?
10. What does the angel tell Lord Asriel about the knife bearer before he dies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the knife. Why was the thought of Will's mother and eventually the thought of Lyra enough to break the knife? When Iorek had said that the knife might have intentions of it's own was he right? Did the knife have a consciousness? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
There is a lot of reference to the Bible in the story.
1) Why did the author choose to focus on the bible as a basis for his story line?
2) How does it change the story to have it based on the Bible theme? How would it have been different if there had been no mention of Eve, God or Enoch?
3) Does the book seem to aim the reader at an anti-God feeling? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
When Mary and Will return to their world she tells him that she will look after him and help him if she can.
1) Was it necessary that Will have Mary? Explain.
2) How would Will's return to his world have been different without her?
This section contains 1,081 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)