|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the church intend to do to prove that Lyra is dead?
(a) Bring back the alethiometer
(b) Have her mummified
(c) Cut of her head
(d) Bring her body back
2. Who is Serafina Pekkala looking for in the beginning of chapter three?
(b) Lee and Hester
(c) Lord Asriel
(d) The bear king
3. What does Mrs. Coulter tell Ama has happened to her daughter?
(a) She stubbed her toe
(b) She has been put under a spell
(c) She is healing herself
(d) She is very ill
4. What is it that Lord Asriel claims that Lyra was able to do that makes her unique?
(a) Tamed and softened Mrs. Coulter
(b) Used the alethiometer
(c) Found Will
(d) Escaped from the Specters
5. What does Balthamos suddenly become aware of that causes him emotional pain?
(a) The movement of the church
(b) The death of Baruch
(c) The arrival of Specters
(d) The rip of the fabric of the worlds
Short Answer Questions
1. What does one of the harpies scream at Lyra when she begins explaining why they are there?
2. What does Will sit down to do while Lyra and Roger talk?
3. What is the part that Mary Malone had been told to play by her computer before she went through the window to the different world?
4. What does Lyra tell Roger that Ma Costa said Lyra had in her soul?
5. Where does Father Gomez find himself while following Mary's path?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter twenty-five what does Mrs. Coulter tell the young man that is supposed to be watching her as she begins to get out of the gyropter?
2. Describe the scene in Chapter 21 when Lyra has to leave Pantalaimon behind on the shore.
3. What does Mary say about missing God?
4. What does Mary think will happen if the Dust is gone as described in Chapter 34?
5. Although Mary Malone has always wanted to climb trees what is bothering her at the thought of doing it in the Chapter 20?
6. What does Mary tell Lyra and Will about why she quit being a nun?
7. What does the angel tell Lord Asriel about the knife bearer before he dies?
8. What happens when Tialys tells Will and Lyra he hears horses and they should hide themselves?
9. What happens at the end of Chapter 16 after Mrs. Coulter is shown the intention craft?
10. Explain why Will refuses to kill the toad despite Tialys' suggestion that doing so would be merciful.
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)