|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who kills Grumer?
2. How does Danya know who Rachel is?
3. How does Rachel feel about Knoll?
4. What doe Suzanne and Loring think about Knoll?
5. What do Paul and Rachel examine in Chapter 41?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Paul's character begin to show more depth?
2. Who is Wayland McKoy and how do Paul and Rachel meet him?
3. How do Suzanne and Knoll get killed?
4. What has Rachel learned about herself and how does she feel about Paul now?
5. After Paul tells Wayland about Grumer, what does Wayland learn from Grumer when he confronts him?
6. Why are Wayland and Grumer so charming in dealing with the investors?
7. What information does Danya give to Rachel and Knoll about The Amber Room and why is he so forthcoming?
8. Even though Wayland seems to be very trusting of the Cutlers, why is Paul still reticent to reveal anything to him?
9. Describe the encounter between Knoll and Suzanne at the dig site.
10. Describe what takes place in the mine with Rachel, Knoll and Suzanne.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Berry uses more than one instance of irony in the story. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of greed. Identify at least two themes about greed in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
This section contains 1,141 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)