|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is killed aboard a jet crash?
2. Grumer assumes that Margarethe works for whom?
3. Who is McKoy's employee in the cave at the same time as McKoy, Paul and Rachel?
4. What does Fritz inform Rachel and Paul about regarding the mine?
5. Who does Fritz say is a suspect in the murder?
Short Essay Questions
1. What literary devices does the author use to indicate the dialogue and views of the different characters?
2. What does Paul's willingness to go to the McKoy dig site signify to Rachel?
3. What distracts Paul's attention during the meeting in the mine?
4. Describe what takes place in the mine with Rachel, Knoll and Suzanne.
5. How do Loring and Suzanne eliminate Fellner and Monika from the search for The Amber Room?
6. After Paul tells Wayland about Grumer, what does Wayland learn from Grumer when he confronts him?
7. What information does Danya give to Rachel and Knoll about The Amber Room and why is he so forthcoming?
8. Even though Wayland seems to be very trusting of the Cutlers, why is Paul still reticent to reveal anything to him?
9. What do Loring and Suzanne reveal to Monika and Fellner regarding the disposition of The Amber Room?
10. What does the party discover when venturing further into the cave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Paul. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one theme in the novel. Identify at least two themes in the story and then cite an example to support each theme.
Essay Topic 3
Berry is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 1,292 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)