|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what German city is McKoy doing his work?
2. Who had wanted The Amber Room more than Hitler did?
3. The group is unsure of whose interest in The Amber Room?
4. Loring's father provided sub par __________________ to the Nazis.
5. Who shoots and kills Knoll?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Loring and Suzanne reveal to Monika and Fellner regarding the disposition of The Amber Room?
2. What literary devices does the author use to indicate the dialogue and views of the different characters?
3. Even though Wayland seems to be very trusting of the Cutlers, why is Paul still reticent to reveal anything to him?
4. Describe what takes place in the mine with Rachel, Knoll and Suzanne.
5. How do Rachel and Paul differ in their views about continuing on with the investigation?
6. What power is Suzanne able to wield over Knoll?
7. Why do Rachel and Paul no longer trust Wayland?
8. What does Paul's willingness to go to the McKoy dig site signify to Rachel?
9. What information does Paul provide to the investigator, Fritz Pannik, and how does Paul learn about Rachel's condition?
10. What does the party discover when venturing further into the cave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Berry's use of humor in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Rachel. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one theme in the novel. Identify at least two themes in the story, and then cite an example to support each theme.
This section contains 1,219 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)