|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the signs at the cave warn intruders about?
2. Paul hears that there has been a murder at ____________________.
3. For whom is Grumer working?
4. Which of the following does Suzanne NOT decide to kill?
5. Who kills Grumer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the flirtatious interaction between Knoll and Rachel as they make their way to Danya's house.
2. What is revealed about Grumer's true identity?
3. Why do Rachel and Paul no longer trust Wayland?
4. Describe the encounter between Knoll and Suzanne at the dig site.
5. How does Paul's character begin to show more depth?
6. What literary devices does the author use to indicate the dialogue and views of the different characters?
7. What distracts Paul's attention during the meeting in the mine?
8. Even though Wayland seems to be very trusting of the Cutlers, why is Paul still reticent to reveal anything to him?
9. What do Loring and Suzanne reveal to Monika and Fellner regarding the disposition of The Amber Room?
10. What information does Paul provide to the investigator, Fritz Pannik, and how does Paul learn about Rachel's condition?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book "The Amber Room"? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of greed. Identify at least two themes about greed in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Berry's use of humor in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
This section contains 1,126 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)