|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paul notice in the sand and picks up before anyone notices?
2. What doe Suzanne and Loring think about Knoll?
3. Knoll overhears several castle employees discussing _______________________.
4. Where do Paul and Rachel hide while Knoll and Margarethe fight?
5. Which of the following does Suzanne NOT promise Knoll after he catches up to her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does Paul provide to the investigator, Fritz Pannik, and how does Paul learn about Rachel's condition?
2. What does Pannik reveal to Paul and Rachel regarding explosions in the cave?
3. What has Rachel learned about herself and how does she feel about Paul now?
4. Even though Wayland seems to be very trusting of the Cutlers, why is Paul still reticent to reveal anything to him?
5. Describe the encounter between Knoll and Suzanne at the dig site.
6. What do Loring and Suzanne reveal to Monika and Fellner regarding the disposition of The Amber Room?
7. Describe the flirtatious interaction between Knoll and Rachel as they make their way to Danya's house.
8. Why are Wayland and Grumer so charming in dealing with the investors?
9. What is the string of deaths related to The Amber Room since 1957 and what does Fellner give Knoll permission to do now?
10. What is the purpose of the meeting between Margarethe (Suzanne) and Grumer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Knoll. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Rachel and Paul. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
This section contains 1,223 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)