|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the officer who enters the barracks one night?
2. Who is Danya's grandson?
3. In what city did Knoll grow up?
4. Why did killings not usually occur at night in the concentration camp?
5. Who does Rachel ask to handle her father's estate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Rachel's perceptions of Knoll after talking with him?
2. Who is Monika Fellner and what is her relationship with Knoll?
3. Why does Paul book a flight to Germany?
4. What were conditions like for Karol at the concentration camp?
5. What does Karol hear about on the news program which will be the focus of this book?
6. Who is Christian Knoll and how did he come to work for Franz Fellner?
7. What was the history of the creation of The Amber Room?
8. Who is Suzanne and what does her employer, Loring, want to find before Fellner and Monika do?
9. What happened to The Amber Room under Hitler's orders?
10. How does the author show that Knoll was behind the taxi accident that almost killed Rachel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Greed takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Rachel. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 3
The author creates characters who are sympathetic and those who are not. Name at least three characters for whom you have sympathy and reasons why. Then name at least three characters who have not earned your sympathy and identify reasons why.
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)