|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For which palace was The Amber Room commissioned?
2. Who is Danya's grandson?
3. Which of the following is NOT something Karol tells Rachel in a letter?
4. What does Knoll admit to Rachel?
5. Who planted the bomb on the Italian plane in which Paul's parents were killed?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Suzanne able to manipulate Paul into giving her information?
2. What does Karol hear about on the news program which will be the focus of this book?
3. Who is Rachel Cutler, what is her profession and where does she live?
4. Why does Paul book a flight to Germany?
5. Who is Christian Knoll and how did he come to work for Franz Fellner?
6. What is the current state of the relationship between Paul and Rachel?
7. Why does Knoll kill Karol?
8. What is it that Fellner would like to find before he retires and what is the new lead to find it?
9. Who is Karol Broya, and what are his circumstances as the novel opens?
10. What information does Paul reveal to Suzanne about Rachel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one theme in the novel. Identify at least two themes in the story, and then cite an example to support each theme.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Knoll. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the prominent setting for the novel. Why does Berry use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 1,226 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)