|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Knoll notice when she gets on the plane?
2. What is the yantarnaya komnata?
3. What does the officer in #3 demand in the barracks?
4. Paul's parents had been generous benefactors to __________________.
5. What does Knoll notice about Suzanne at the airport?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Paul's willingness to go to the McKoy dig site signify to Rachel?
2. What does Pannik reveal to Paul and Rachel regarding explosions in the cave?
3. What happened to The Amber Room under Hitler's orders?
4. After Paul tells Wayland about Grumer, what does Wayland learn from Grumer when he confronts him?
5. Describe what takes place in the mine with Rachel, Knoll and Suzanne.
6. Why is the name change case so poignant for Rachel?
7. How does the author show that Knoll was behind the taxi accident that almost killed Rachel?
8. What is the content of the letters between Karol and Danya?
9. What is revealed about Grumer's true identity?
10. How is Suzanne able to manipulate Paul into giving her information?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Berry is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Rachel. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
This section contains 1,723 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)