|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What information does the man in #10 want from the prisoners?
2. What derogatory name does Nettles call Rachel?
3. How old is Karol in the present day?
4. Who planted the bomb on the Italian plane in which Paul's parents were killed?
5. What is the nickname given to Karol by his fellow prisoners?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Rachel want to go to Germany so suddenly?
2. Who is Rachel Cutler, what is her profession and where does she live?
3. Why does Paul book a flight to Germany?
4. What are Rachel's perceptions of Knoll after talking with him?
5. What was the history of the creation of The Amber Room?
6. How is Suzanne able to manipulate Paul into giving her information?
7. Summarize the story of "The Amber Room".
8. Why is the name change case so poignant for Rachel?
9. Why does Knoll kill Karol?
10. Who is Karol Broya, and what are his circumstances as the novel opens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Loring. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one theme in the novel. Identify at least two themes in the story, and then cite an example to support each theme.
This section contains 1,153 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)