|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What baffles Rachel and Paul about Karol's letters?
2. Who is the officer who enters the barracks one night?
3. Where are Karol's will and important papers found?
4. What does Knoll notice about Suzanne at the airport?
5. What is the name of the concentration camp where the prisoners are held?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does Paul reveal to Suzanne about Rachel?
2. Why does Paul book a flight to Germany?
3. Why is the name change case so poignant for Rachel?
4. What is the McKoy exhibition?
5. Who is Christian Knoll and how did he come to work for Franz Fellner?
6. Who is Monika Fellner and what is her relationship with Knoll?
7. How is Suzanne able to manipulate Paul into giving her information?
8. Describe Rachel Cutler's personality and demeanor.
9. What makes Rachel want to go to Germany so suddenly?
10. Who is Suzanne and what does her employer, Loring, want to find before Fellner and Monika do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Berry uses more than one instance of irony in the story. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 1,079 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)