|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Karol when his wife died?
2. How did the Russians try to hide the panels from The Amber Room from the Nazis?
3. What does Rachel tell Knoll about why she is in Germany?
4. How does Suzanne get Paul to give up information?
5. Who is disguised and waiting for Knoll at Rachel's office?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Christian Knoll and how did he come to work for Franz Fellner?
2. What are Rachel's perceptions of Knoll after talking with him?
3. What was the history of the creation of The Amber Room?
4. What are the circumstances under which Rachel meets Knoll?
5. Describe Rachel Cutler's personality and demeanor.
6. How is Suzanne able to manipulate Paul into giving her information?
7. Who is Rachel Cutler, what is her profession and where does she live?
8. What is it that Fellner would like to find before he retires and what is the new lead to find it?
9. What were conditions like for Karol at the concentration camp?
10. Who is Karol Broya, and what are his circumstances as the novel opens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author creates characters who are sympathetic and those who are not. Name at least three characters for whom you have sympathy and reasons why. Then name at least three characters who have not earned your sympathy and identify reasons why.
Essay Topic 2
Berry uses more than one instance of irony in the story. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Rachel. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
This section contains 1,233 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)