|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Rachel not looking forward to this year?
2. How does Rachel meet Christian Knoll?
3. Who is the Nazi officer who comes into the courtyard?
4. Who picks up Karol's grandchildren at the house?
5. What is the yantarnaya komnata?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the name change case so poignant for Rachel?
2. What are Rachel's perceptions of Knoll after talking with him?
3. What is the current state of the relationship between Paul and Rachel?
4. What was the final disposition of The Amber Room and other collections of Soviet art?
5. What information does Paul provide to the investigator, Fritz Pannik, and how does Paul learn about Rachel's condition?
6. What does the party discover when venturing further into the cave?
7. Why do Rachel and Paul no longer trust Wayland?
8. What information does Paul reveal to Suzanne about Rachel?
9. Describe the flirtatious interaction between Knoll and Rachel as they make their way to Danya's house.
10. What do Loring and Suzanne reveal to Monika and Fellner regarding the disposition of The Amber Room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one theme in the novel. Identify at least two themes in the story, and then cite an example to support each theme.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the prominent setting for the novel. Why does Berry use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
This section contains 1,806 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)