|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Paul's parents die?
2. How old is Karol in the present day?
3. How does Rachel meet Christian Knoll?
4. How does Suzanne get Paul to give up information?
5. How much does Knoll pay the taxi driver for scaring Rachel with his car?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the current state of the relationship between Paul and Rachel?
2. What does Karol hear about on the news program which will be the focus of this book?
3. What were conditions like for Karol at the concentration camp?
4. How is Suzanne able to manipulate Paul into giving her information?
5. Who is Christian Knoll and how did he come to work for Franz Fellner?
6. What is the McKoy exhibition?
7. What information does Paul reveal to Suzanne about Rachel?
8. How did the Russians attempt to keep The Amber Room from falling into the hands of the Nazis?
9. What is the content of the letters between Karol and Danya?
10. Summarize the story of "The Amber Room".
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Berry's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Knoll. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
This section contains 1,152 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)