|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Knoll say he was not able to speak to Rachel's father, Karol, when Knoll arrived in Atlanta?
2. How old was Karol when his wife died?
3. Who is the leader of the four German soldiers?
4. How does Rachel meet Christian Knoll?
5. What derogatory name does Nettles call Rachel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author reveal about who had killed Paul's parents?
2. Who is Christian Knoll and how did he come to work for Franz Fellner?
3. What were conditions like for Karol at the concentration camp?
4. Who is Monika Fellner and what is her relationship with Knoll?
5. Why does Knoll kill Karol?
6. What happened to The Amber Room under Hitler's orders?
7. What is the Extraordinary State Commission on the Registration and Investigation of the Crimes of the Fascist German Occupiers?
8. How does Knoll learn that Rachel is going to Germany?
9. How accurate are Steve Berry's descriptions of the concentration camp?
10. What does Karol hear about on the news program which will be the focus of this book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Rachel and Paul. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book "The Amber Room"? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Berry's use of humor in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)