|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Rachel not looking forward to this year?
2. What does Fellner that he wants to do before he retires?
3. Why did killings not usually occur at night in the concentration camp?
4. What did the Nazis do with the amber panels?
5. What information does the man in #10 want from the prisoners?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Monika Fellner and what is her relationship with Knoll?
2. What are the circumstances under which Rachel meets Knoll?
3. What are Rachel's perceptions of Knoll after talking with him?
4. Who is Karol Broya, and what are his circumstances as the novel opens?
5. What is the McKoy exhibition?
6. What makes Rachel want to go to Germany so suddenly?
7. How does the author show that Knoll was behind the taxi accident that almost killed Rachel?
8. Who is Christian Knoll and what is he doing in Italy in Chapter 7?
9. What is the Extraordinary State Commission on the Registration and Investigation of the Crimes of the Fascist German Occupiers?
10. Who is Christian Knoll and how did he come to work for Franz Fellner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Loring. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Knoll. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
This section contains 1,179 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)