|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who commissioned The Amber Room?
2. What is Rachel Cutler's profession?
3. For whom does Suzanne Danzer work?
4. Who picks up Karol's grandchildren at the house?
5. How did Paul's parents die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Extraordinary State Commission on the Registration and Investigation of the Crimes of the Fascist German Occupiers?
2. How did the Russians attempt to keep The Amber Room from falling into the hands of the Nazis?
3. What is the content of the letters between Karol and Danya?
4. Who is Rachel Cutler, what is her profession and where does she live?
5. Summarize the story of "The Amber Room".
6. What are Rachel's perceptions of Knoll after talking with him?
7. Why is the name change case so poignant for Rachel?
8. What were conditions like for Karol at the concentration camp?
9. What happened to The Amber Room under Hitler's orders?
10. Who is Karol Broya, and what are his circumstances as the novel opens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Rachel and Paul. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 2
Greed takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book "The Amber Room"? Cite an example to support your answer.
This section contains 1,081 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)