|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Karol identified in the concentration camp?
2. Who is the man in the judge's name change case?
3. What subject catches Karol's attention on the TV news?
4. What is the yantarnaya komnata?
5. What is Rachel not looking forward to this year?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the name change case so poignant for Rachel?
2. How does the author show that Knoll was behind the taxi accident that almost killed Rachel?
3. What is the content of the letters between Karol and Danya?
4. What is revealed about Paul's parents while he is talking to a reporter at the museum?
5. Who is Christian Knoll and what is he doing in Italy in Chapter 7?
6. What is the McKoy exhibition?
7. How did the Russians attempt to keep The Amber Room from falling into the hands of the Nazis?
8. How does Knoll learn that Rachel is going to Germany?
9. Who is Christian Knoll and how did he come to work for Franz Fellner?
10. Describe Rachel Cutler's personality and demeanor.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Berry's use of humor in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book "The Amber Room"? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Berry uses more than one instance of irony in the story. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 1,108 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)