|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Rachel suddenly want to go to Germany?
2. Who does Rachel tell Knoll she wants to find in Germany?
3. Why does Knoll say he was not able to speak to Rachel's father, Karol, when Knoll arrived in Atlanta?
4. Knoll's father was a fervent member of __________________.
5. Who is the owner of the chateau who Knoll kills?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is it that Fellner would like to find before he retires and what is the new lead to find it?
2. Who is Christian Knoll and how did he come to work for Franz Fellner?
3. What is the Extraordinary State Commission on the Registration and Investigation of the Crimes of the Fascist German Occupiers?
4. What is the content of the letters between Karol and Danya?
5. What was the history of the creation of The Amber Room?
6. Why does Knoll kill Karol?
7. Describe Rachel Cutler's personality and demeanor.
8. Who is Suzanne and what does her employer, Loring, want to find before Fellner and Monika do?
9. How accurate are Steve Berry's descriptions of the concentration camp?
10. How does the author show that Knoll was behind the taxi accident that almost killed Rachel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Berry's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Berry's use of humor in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
This section contains 1,215 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)