• Karol Broya is a Russian man being held prisoner by the Nazis at Mauthausen, a concentration camp in Austria.
• Karol is the only one of his colleagues who can speak German, so they nickname him "Ears".
• A German officer barges into the barracks one night, demanding four volunteers.
• The Russian men are scared and confused because killings don't usually occur at night.
• The four Russians are given wool coats and watch as four German soldiers are marched onto the field.
• The Russian men are instructed to tie the soldiers to wooden stakes in the ground.
• Suddenly the main gate opens and an officer named Hermann Goering, Hitler's successor, enters.
• Goering tells the bound soldiers that unless the soldiers tell him where The Amber Room is, the Russian prisoners are to torture the men by pouring freezing water on them.
• Once they confess, a Russian prisoner will take...
This section contains 4,330 words
(approx. 15 pages at 300 words per page)