|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Wood row with on the Sunday of the finals?
2. Who did Biglow think he might write to find out about a weight-lifting program?
3. Where did Bouscaren receive an offer for his residency?
4. Who did Lewis want to row a double with in the fall after the Olympics?
5. How many of the years before the Olympic trials had Wood spent rowing by himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was selecting boats more difficult for an Olympic team than for a college one?
2. Why did Parker and Altekruse argue on the day of the Princeton trials?
3. What did Lewis have Enquist do because Enquist's forearms were weak?
4. Why was Enquist upset with Lewis after they won the challenge boat at Princeton?
5. How did Tony Johnson help Lewis and Enquist at Ithaca?
6. Why was it so difficult for Wood that he was chosen to be a spare by the Olympic rowing committee?
7. Why was Marine boot camp a revelation to Frank Cunningham?
8. How did Parker sometimes protect certain oarsmen whose skills he was confident of from the savagery of the seat?
9. How did Biglow and Most get an opportunity to row in a regatta in the East?
10. What personal disappointment was Harry Parker fighting during team camp?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the reasons why Wood and Biglow both wanted to be the single sculler in the Olympic games.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why the Americans boycotted the 1980 summer Olympics and how the rowers reacted to this boycott. Wood was quoted as saying that he had to force himself to keep rowing. Discuss why and how Wood would force himself to continue rowing.
Essay Topic 3
Other oarsmen called Paul Enquist Paul "Zenquist". Discuss why Enquist was nicknamed Paul "Zenquist".
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)