|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How low did Lewis and Enquist get their time for five-hundred-meter sprints?
2. When did Karl Adam, coach of the Ratzeburg oarsmen, become an influential figure in America?
3. Where was Gary Reid from?
4. How many of the years before the Olympic trials had Wood spent rowing by himself?
5. What position did Parker offer Lewis in the finals?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Tony Johnson help Lewis and Enquist at Ithaca?
2. Why was it so difficult for Wood that he was chosen to be a spare by the Olympic rowing committee?
3. What did Lewis decide about his and Enquist's chances at the Olympics after viewing videotapes of Lucerne and last year's world championships?
4. What advice did Dietz give Wood after rowing together in their first practice in the double?
5. Why did Lewis nickname Altekruse's and Bouscaren's boat?
6. Why was Biglow glad that he chose Dartmouth Medical School?
7. Why would the repechage at the Olympics be rowed all-out in a way usually reserved for a final?
8. What did Lewis have Enquist do because Enquist's forearms were weak?
9. Why did Parker and Altekruse argue on the day of the Princeton trials?
10. Why was Wood's fall from rowing so terrible?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book, discuss why perseverance was necessary to succeed in rowing.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why the Americans boycotted the 1980 summer Olympics and how the rowers reacted to this boycott. Wood was quoted as saying that he had to force himself to keep rowing. Discuss why and how Wood would force himself to continue rowing.
Essay Topic 3
The eastern and western rowing coaches had different coaching styles. Discuss the coaching styles of the eastern and western coaches, and why Biglow felt caught between the two styles of coaching.
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)