|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By how much did Lewis and Enquist win the repechage at the Olympics?
2. What did Biglow send to his friends when he wrote after the Olympics?
3. What elective course did Biglow take at Dartmouth?
4. When would there be an additional Olympic trial at Princeton for young men who had the right to challenge the camp boats?
5. How low did Lewis and Enquist get their time for five-hundred-meter sprints?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Biglow's rowing proving to be a mystery to him and his coaches?
2. Why did Parker and Altekruse argue on the day of the Princeton trials?
3. What did Biglow believe was the greatest thing that Tony Johnson taught his athletes?
4. How did Parker sometimes protect certain oarsmen whose skills he was confident of from the savagery of the seat?
5. Why did Parker believe that he should have canceled participation in the Lucerne races?
6. Why did Lewis nickname Altekruse's and Bouscaren's boat?
7. What advice did Dietz give Wood after rowing together in their first practice in the double?
8. How did Biglow and Most get an opportunity to row in a regatta in the East?
9. Why was the row that Wood and Pat Walter rowed an odd row?
10. Why was selecting boats more difficult for an Olympic team than for a college one?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When the names were drawn for the semifinals for the Olympic trials, there were mixed reactions to the draw. Discuss the draw for the semifinals and the reactions to the draw.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why Bouscaren, Biglow, Lewis, and Wood had different feelings about rowing after the Olympics, and why each man did or did not decide to continue rowing.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, discuss why perseverance was necessary to succeed in rowing.
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)