|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Wood think long and hard about inviting to his engagement party?
2. Where did Bouscaren receive an offer for his residency?
3. What position did Parker offer Lewis in the finals?
4. Who did Wood row with on the Sunday of the finals?
5. Who recorded a tape that Lewis and Enquist would listen to everyday for motivation?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Tony Johnson help Lewis and Enquist at Ithaca?
2. What did Lewis decide about his and Enquist's chances at the Olympics after viewing videotapes of Lucerne and last year's world championships?
3. Why was the row that Wood and Pat Walter rowed an odd row?
4. Why didn't Biglow watch videotapes of the final of the single scull?
5. What did Wood do after the Olympics?
6. Why was it so difficult for Wood that he was chosen to be a spare by the Olympic rowing committee?
7. Why was Biglow's rowing proving to be a mystery to him and his coaches?
8. Why was Marine boot camp a revelation to Frank Cunningham?
9. Why was Enquist upset with Lewis after they won the challenge boat at Princeton?
10. Why did Enquist tell Lewis not to get arrested and put in jail?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book, discuss why perseverance was necessary to succeed in rowing.
Essay Topic 2
Lewis created his own training devices and used some inventive methods to improve his rowing. Discuss why he created his own training devices and what some of these inventive methods and creative training devices were that he used to improve his rowing.
Essay Topic 3
Compare the notoriety and funding that most Olympic hopefuls received compared to what Olympic rowers received and why these disparities existed.
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)