|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long had Parker been pessimistic about the chances for the Bouscaren-Altekruse double?
2. Who was the strongest competition in the repechage at the Olympics?
3. By how much did Lewis and Enquist win the repechage at the Olympics?
4. When did Karl Adam, coach of the Ratzeburg oarsmen, become an influential figure in America?
5. Where did Bouscaren begin his internship?
Short Essay Questions
1. What personal disappointment was Harry Parker fighting during team camp?
2. Why would the repechage at the Olympics be rowed all-out in a way usually reserved for a final?
3. Why was Biglow's rowing proving to be a mystery to him and his coaches?
4. What did Biglow like about being in the Olympic camp?
5. What did Lewis have Enquist do because Enquist's forearms were weak?
6. Why was selecting boats more difficult for an Olympic team than for a college one?
7. Why was Marine boot camp a revelation to Frank Cunningham?
8. Why did Lewis nickname Altekruse's and Bouscaren's boat?
9. Why was Biglow glad that he chose Dartmouth Medical School?
10. What advice did Dietz give Wood after rowing together in their first practice in the double?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lewis created his own training devices and used some inventive methods to improve his rowing. Discuss why he created his own training devices and what some of these inventive methods and creative training devices were that he used to improve his rowing.
Essay Topic 2
Because of the competitive nature of rowing, there were many conflicts between rowers. Discuss events that caused conflict in the book, whether the conflict was resolved, and how the conflict affected various individuals.
Essay Topic 3
Parker was troubled by the coaching he had given Lewis. Discuss how Parker coached Lewis and why he was troubled by the coaching he gave Lewis.
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)