|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which coach did Biglow enjoy talking to at the Olympic camp?
2. What type of drinks were featured in a commercial that ABC aired during the sculling race?
3. How much did Lewis pay for a stand-room ticket to watch the final of the single sculls when he attended the Olympics in 1976?
4. Who did Wood row with on the Sunday of the finals?
5. When Lewis and Enquist came to Princeton for the double race, by how many lengths did they win their heat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Parker believe that he should have canceled participation in the Lucerne races?
2. Why did Parker and Altekruse argue on the day of the Princeton trials?
3. Why didn't Lewis and Enquist room together at the Olympics?
4. Why was Biglow's rowing proving to be a mystery to him and his coaches?
5. What did Biglow like about being in the Olympic camp?
6. Why was selecting boats more difficult for an Olympic team than for a college one?
7. Why would the repechage at the Olympics be rowed all-out in a way usually reserved for a final?
8. How did Parker sometimes protect certain oarsmen whose skills he was confident of from the savagery of the seat?
9. How did Biglow and Most get an opportunity to row in a regatta in the East?
10. Why was Enquist upset with Lewis after they won the challenge boat at Princeton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss why the Soviets and East Germans pulled out of the 1984 Olympics and how that affected rowing for the Americans.
Essay Topic 2
The eastern and western rowing coaches had different coaching styles. Discuss the coaching styles of the eastern and western coaches, and why Biglow felt caught between the two styles of coaching.
Essay Topic 3
When the names were drawn for the semifinals for the Olympic trials, there were mixed reactions to the draw. Discuss the draw for the semifinals and the reactions to the draw.
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)