|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Lewis discover he could achieve instant fame on the tour of the United States with the other Olympic medalists?
2. When did Tony Johnson win a silver medal?
3. What was the highest stroke that Enquist could maintain in the single?
4. When did Karl Adam, coach of the Ratzeburg oarsmen, become an influential figure in America?
5. When did Cunningham and Biglow have a major confrontation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Biglow's rowing proving to be a mystery to him and his coaches?
2. What advice did Dietz give Wood after rowing together in their first practice in the double?
3. How did Biglow and Most get an opportunity to row in a regatta in the East?
4. How did Parker sometimes protect certain oarsmen whose skills he was confident of from the savagery of the seat?
5. Why was Wood's fall from rowing so terrible?
6. Why was Biglow glad that he chose Dartmouth Medical School?
7. What personal disappointment was Harry Parker fighting during team camp?
8. Why did Lewis nickname Altekruse's and Bouscaren's boat?
9. Why did Parker and Altekruse argue on the day of the Princeton trials?
10. Why would the repechage at the Olympics be rowed all-out in a way usually reserved for a final?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss why the Americans boycotted the 1980 summer Olympics and how the rowers reacted to this boycott. Wood was quoted as saying that he had to force himself to keep rowing. Discuss why and how Wood would force himself to continue rowing.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the reasons why Wood and Biglow both wanted to be the single sculler in the Olympic games.
Essay Topic 3
Harry Parker offered Lewis a spot as the eighth man in a quad. Using the arguments that Lewis used, argue whether he should or should not have accepted the position.
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)