|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the strongest competition in the repechage at the Olympics?
2. At the Olympics, whose shoes did Lewis want to fill?
3. If Biglow did not qualify for the semi in his first race at the Olympic camp, how many days might he have of back-to-back racing?
4. After college, where did Enquist work for a few months?
5. Where did Bouscaren begin his internship?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Parker sometimes protect certain oarsmen whose skills he was confident of from the savagery of the seat?
2. Why did Parker believe that he should have canceled participation in the Lucerne races?
3. How did Tony Johnson help Lewis and Enquist at Ithaca?
4. How did Biglow and Most get an opportunity to row in a regatta in the East?
5. Why would the repechage at the Olympics be rowed all-out in a way usually reserved for a final?
6. What personal disappointment was Harry Parker fighting during team camp?
7. Why was Marine boot camp a revelation to Frank Cunningham?
8. Why was selecting boats more difficult for an Olympic team than for a college one?
9. What did Wood arrange to liven things up a little and perhaps give him a sense of belonging at the Olympics?
10. Why was Enquist upset with Lewis after they won the challenge boat at Princeton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Biglow had two coaches who were strong influences in his rowing career. Compare the relationship that Biglow had with his coaches: Frank Cunningham and Tony Johnson.
Essay Topic 2
Compare the notoriety and funding that most Olympic hopefuls received compared to what Olympic rowers received and why these disparities existed.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast how Wood and Bouscaren dealt with their disappointment when they did not make the Olympic rowing team.
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)