|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Parker believe that Buscaren was anxious about the double he was rowing with Altekruse?
2. By how many seconds did Lewis and Enquist win the gold?
3. Where would the international regatta be held after the Olympic trials?
4. When the oarsmen began showing up for the first race at Princeton, when did Lewis and Enquist arrive to work out?
5. How much did Lewis pay for a stand-room ticket to watch the final of the single sculls when he attended the Olympics in 1976?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was it so difficult for Wood that he was chosen to be a spare by the Olympic rowing committee?
2. Why did Bouscaren consider turning down the offer from New York Hospital?
3. Why was Wood's fall from rowing so terrible?
4. How did Tony Johnson help Lewis and Enquist at Ithaca?
5. How did Biglow and Most get an opportunity to row in a regatta in the East?
6. What did Lewis decide about his and Enquist's chances at the Olympics after viewing videotapes of Lucerne and last year's world championships?
7. How did Cunningham's coaching career begin in Seattle?
8. Why was selecting boats more difficult for an Olympic team than for a college one?
9. Why was Enquist upset with Lewis after they won the challenge boat at Princeton?
10. Why would the repechage at the Olympics be rowed all-out in a way usually reserved for a final?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast how Wood and Bouscaren dealt with their disappointment when they did not make the Olympic rowing team.
Essay Topic 2
Compare the notoriety and funding that most Olympic hopefuls received compared to what Olympic rowers received and why these disparities existed.
Essay Topic 3
Other oarsmen called Paul Enquist Paul "Zenquist". Discuss why Enquist was nicknamed Paul "Zenquist".
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)