|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Biglow think he might write to find out about a weight-lifting program?
2. What was the highest stroke that Enquist could maintain in the single?
3. How long had Parker been pessimistic about the chances for the Bouscaren-Altekruse double?
4. Which country had the best quad in the world?
5. How many seconds did Biglow cut off Mills with a closing drive?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Bouscaren consider turning down the offer from New York Hospital?
2. What did Lewis decide about his and Enquist's chances at the Olympics after viewing videotapes of Lucerne and last year's world championships?
3. What did Wood arrange to liven things up a little and perhaps give him a sense of belonging at the Olympics?
4. How did Cunningham's coaching career begin in Seattle?
5. What did Biglow like about being in the Olympic camp?
6. How did Tony Johnson help Lewis and Enquist at Ithaca?
7. Why was selecting boats more difficult for an Olympic team than for a college one?
8. What did Wood do after the Olympics?
9. Why was Biglow's rowing proving to be a mystery to him and his coaches?
10. What did Biglow believe was the greatest thing that Tony Johnson taught his athletes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast how Wood and Bouscaren dealt with their disappointment when they did not make the Olympic rowing team.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, discuss Biglow's desire to achieve and how that affected the way that he lived his life.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why the Soviets and East Germans pulled out of the 1984 Olympics and how that affected rowing for the Americans.
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)