|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many oarsmen were invited to the team rowing camp?
2. When Enquist and Lewis rowed a double at Duisburg, what place did they take?
3. What did Biglow call his rowing coach at Yale?
4. If Biglow did not qualify for the semi in his first race at the Olympic camp, how many days might he have of back-to-back racing?
5. Where did Bouscaren receive an offer for his residency?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice did Dietz give Wood after rowing together in their first practice in the double?
2. Why was Enquist upset with Lewis after they won the challenge boat at Princeton?
3. Why would the repechage at the Olympics be rowed all-out in a way usually reserved for a final?
4. What did Biglow believe was the greatest thing that Tony Johnson taught his athletes?
5. What did Lewis have Enquist do because Enquist's forearms were weak?
6. Why did Bouscaren consider turning down the offer from New York Hospital?
7. How did Parker sometimes protect certain oarsmen whose skills he was confident of from the savagery of the seat?
8. What did Wood arrange to liven things up a little and perhaps give him a sense of belonging at the Olympics?
9. What did Lewis decide about his and Enquist's chances at the Olympics after viewing videotapes of Lucerne and last year's world championships?
10. How did Tony Johnson help Lewis and Enquist at Ithaca?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book, discuss Biglow's desire to achieve and how that affected the way that he lived his life.
Essay Topic 2
After the training camp ended and the final selections for the Olympic games were made, Parker felt that he had made some mistakes. Discuss the mistakes that Parker believed he made during the training camp.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast how Wood and Bouscaren dealt with their disappointment when they did not make the Olympic rowing team.
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)