|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Dartmouth College located?
2. How many of the years before the Olympic trials had Wood spent rowing by himself?
3. How much did Lewis pay for a stand-room ticket to watch the final of the single sculls when he attended the Olympics in 1976?
4. When did Biglow begin stroking the Yale boat?
5. When Enquist and Lewis rowed a double at Duisburg, what place did they take?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was selecting boats more difficult for an Olympic team than for a college one?
2. What personal disappointment was Harry Parker fighting during team camp?
3. What did Lewis decide about his and Enquist's chances at the Olympics after viewing videotapes of Lucerne and last year's world championships?
4. Why was Biglow glad that he chose Dartmouth Medical School?
5. Why was Marine boot camp a revelation to Frank Cunningham?
6. How did Parker sometimes protect certain oarsmen whose skills he was confident of from the savagery of the seat?
7. Why did Bouscaren consider turning down the offer from New York Hospital?
8. What did Biglow believe was the greatest thing that Tony Johnson taught his athletes?
9. Why was the row that Wood and Pat Walter rowed an odd row?
10. Why did Parker believe that he should have canceled participation in the Lucerne races?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the reasons why Wood and Biglow both wanted to be the single sculler in the Olympic games.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why Bouscaren, Biglow, Lewis, and Wood had different feelings about rowing after the Olympics, and why each man did or did not decide to continue rowing.
Essay Topic 3
Compare the notoriety and funding that most Olympic hopefuls received compared to what Olympic rowers received and why these disparities existed.
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)