|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Lewis hope to row at Henley in a single?
2. What position did Parker offer Lewis in the finals?
3. Which team went out early and took a commanding lead when Lewis and Enquist raced the final on Sunday?
4. With whom had Wood raced in a fast double and taken second at Henley in 1977?
5. What did Biglow call his rowing coach at Yale?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was it so difficult for Wood that he was chosen to be a spare by the Olympic rowing committee?
2. What did Wood do after the Olympics?
3. Why was Wood's fall from rowing so terrible?
4. Why did Bouscaren consider turning down the offer from New York Hospital?
5. What personal disappointment was Harry Parker fighting during team camp?
6. What advice did Dietz give Wood after rowing together in their first practice in the double?
7. What did Biglow like about being in the Olympic camp?
8. How did Tony Johnson help Lewis and Enquist at Ithaca?
9. What did Wood arrange to liven things up a little and perhaps give him a sense of belonging at the Olympics?
10. What did Biglow believe was the greatest thing that Tony Johnson taught his athletes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Biglow had two coaches who were strong influences in his rowing career. Compare the relationship that Biglow had with his coaches: Frank Cunningham and Tony Johnson.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the reasons why Wood and Biglow both wanted to be the single sculler in the Olympic games.
Essay Topic 3
Athletes in sports other than rowing could make money through commercial endorsements and sponsorships. Discuss why sports were big business, and why rowing did not profit from the big business aspect of sports.
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)