|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Biglow begin stroking the Yale boat?
2. When Dietz and Wood came to Princeton for the double race, how many days had they been practicing together?
3. When did Lewis hope to row at Henley in a single?
4. By how many seconds did Lewis and Enquist win the gold?
5. After college, where did Enquist work for a few months?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Enquist tell Lewis not to get arrested and put in jail?
2. Why was Biglow glad that he chose Dartmouth Medical School?
3. Why didn't Lewis and Enquist room together at the Olympics?
4. Why did Parker and Altekruse argue on the day of the Princeton trials?
5. Why did Parker believe that he should have canceled participation in the Lucerne races?
6. What did Lewis have Enquist do because Enquist's forearms were weak?
7. How did Cunningham's coaching career begin in Seattle?
8. Why was Marine boot camp a revelation to Frank Cunningham?
9. How did Biglow and Most get an opportunity to row in a regatta in the East?
10. What personal disappointment was Harry Parker fighting during team camp?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book, discuss why perseverance was necessary to succeed in rowing.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why Bouscaren, Biglow, Lewis, and Wood had different feelings about rowing after the Olympics, and why each man did or did not decide to continue rowing.
Essay Topic 3
Because of his background, Biglow seemed different from his college classmates. Discuss how Biglow was different from his teammates and classmates.
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)