|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times had Lewis and Enquist raced as a double when they rowed their first Olympic heat?
2. Where did Biglow and a friend named Paul Most go to enter a regatta one summer?
3. Where did Enquist go to college?
4. How much did Frank Cunningham weigh when he returned to Harvard after the war?
5. Who recorded a tape that Lewis and Enquist would listen to everyday for motivation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was it so difficult for Wood that he was chosen to be a spare by the Olympic rowing committee?
2. What did Biglow believe was the greatest thing that Tony Johnson taught his athletes?
3. Why did Parker and Altekruse argue on the day of the Princeton trials?
4. What did Wood do after the Olympics?
5. Why did Lewis nickname Altekruse's and Bouscaren's boat?
6. What personal disappointment was Harry Parker fighting during team camp?
7. Why was Biglow's rowing proving to be a mystery to him and his coaches?
8. Why did Bouscaren consider turning down the offer from New York Hospital?
9. Why was selecting boats more difficult for an Olympic team than for a college one?
10. Why would the repechage at the Olympics be rowed all-out in a way usually reserved for a final?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Harry Parker offered Lewis a spot as the eighth man in a quad. Using the arguments that Lewis used, argue whether he should or should not have accepted the position.
Essay Topic 2
Lewis created his own training devices and used some inventive methods to improve his rowing. Discuss why he created his own training devices and what some of these inventive methods and creative training devices were that he used to improve his rowing.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast how Wood and Bouscaren dealt with their disappointment when they did not make the Olympic rowing team.
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)