|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Wood row with on the Sunday of the finals?
2. Who did Biglow believe were his biggest competition for the bronze medal?
3. What stroke had Lewis and Enquist wanted to maintain in the first Olympic heat?
4. What did Lewis nickname Altekruse's and Bouscaren's boat?
5. Where had Lewis watched rowers at the Olympic games in 1976?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Biglow and Most get an opportunity to row in a regatta in the East?
2. How did Parker sometimes protect certain oarsmen whose skills he was confident of from the savagery of the seat?
3. How did Cunningham's coaching career begin in Seattle?
4. Why did Lewis nickname Altekruse's and Bouscaren's boat?
5. Why would the repechage at the Olympics be rowed all-out in a way usually reserved for a final?
6. What advice did Dietz give Wood after rowing together in their first practice in the double?
7. How did Tony Johnson help Lewis and Enquist at Ithaca?
8. Why didn't Lewis and Enquist room together at the Olympics?
9. Why was it so difficult for Wood that he was chosen to be a spare by the Olympic rowing committee?
10. Why did Parker believe that he should have canceled participation in the Lucerne races?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Because of his background, Biglow seemed different from his college classmates. Discuss how Biglow was different from his teammates and classmates.
Essay Topic 2
Compare the notoriety and funding that most Olympic hopefuls received compared to what Olympic rowers received and why these disparities existed.
Essay Topic 3
Parker was troubled by the coaching he had given Lewis. Discuss how Parker coached Lewis and why he was troubled by the coaching he gave Lewis.
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)