|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom did Lewis drive to Boston after being offered a spot by Parker in the finals?
2. What coach made the comment that Biglow was chopping wood when he was rowing?
3. What did Lewis nickname Altekruse's and Bouscaren's boat?
4. When did Karl Adam, coach of the Ratzeburg oarsmen, become an influential figure in America?
5. Which of Biglow's years in high school did he not row?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Cunningham's coaching career begin in Seattle?
2. What did Lewis have Enquist do because Enquist's forearms were weak?
3. What did Biglow like about being in the Olympic camp?
4. Why did Lewis nickname Altekruse's and Bouscaren's boat?
5. Why did Parker and Altekruse argue on the day of the Princeton trials?
6. Why did Bouscaren consider turning down the offer from New York Hospital?
7. Why didn't Biglow watch videotapes of the final of the single scull?
8. What did Wood do after the Olympics?
9. Why did Enquist tell Lewis not to get arrested and put in jail?
10. Why was Wood's fall from rowing so terrible?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Harry Parker offered Lewis a spot as the eighth man in a quad. Using the arguments that Lewis used, argue whether he should or should not have accepted the position.
Essay Topic 2
The eastern and western rowing coaches had different coaching styles. Discuss the coaching styles of the eastern and western coaches, and why Biglow felt caught between the two styles of coaching.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why the Soviets and East Germans pulled out of the 1984 Olympics and how that affected rowing for the Americans.
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)