|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the Monday after the finals, which country pulled out of the 1984 Olympics?
2. What physical problems had bothered Biglow that interfered with his rowing?
3. What type of a business did Wood work for after leaving Hartford?
4. When did Bouscaren graduate from Yale?
5. How much did Wood pay for a brand-new scull in the spring before the Olympic trials?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Mitch accompany Lewis to Princeton?
2. In what way were the rowing athletes treated differently from other Olympic hopefuls?
3. Why were the American teams at a disadvantage competing against the Europeans in the Olympic games?
4. Why did both Biglow and Wood want to be the single sculler in the 1984 Olympic games?
5. Why did a sculler have to find motivation within himself?
6. Why had Lewis's home life not been an easy one?
7. How did Wood feel when he was rowing in the final?
8. Why did a photo of John Biglow published in the "Yale Daily News" make Steve Kiesling a little uneasy?
9. What questions did Biglow ask Parker when he called him before he returned to Cambridge?
10. What did Fritz Hagerman, an Ohio University professor who specialized in testing athletes, believe was a reason why those who dominated in sculling were physiological freaks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the reasons why Wood and Biglow both wanted to be the single sculler in the Olympic games.
Essay Topic 2
Other oarsmen called Paul Enquist Paul "Zenquist". Discuss why Enquist was nicknamed Paul "Zenquist".
Essay Topic 3
Biglow had two coaches who were strong influences in his rowing career. Compare the relationship that Biglow had with his coaches: Frank Cunningham and Tony Johnson.
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)