|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much did Biglow weigh?
2. How much did Wood and his teammates once spend apiece to stay in a room at the Princeton Motor Lodge?
3. When a race was over and Wood had rowed at his peak, how long would it take his body to physically replenish?
4. Near what town would Biglow be rowing in the Olympics?
5. What had the American scullers won for the past three years, before the 1984 Olympic trials?
Short Essay Questions
1. What disability did teachers discover that Biglow had when he was in the seventh grade?
2. What were some of the jobs that Wood had held since he graduated from college?
3. What adjustments did Altekruse have to make when he went from being an oarsman to a sculler?
4. What did Fritz Hagerman, an Ohio University professor who specialized in testing athletes, believe was a reason why those who dominated in sculling were physiological freaks?
5. Why did Bouscaren grow up a single child with a single parent?
6. How did Lewis support himself?
7. What was Jim Dietz's history rowing competitively?
8. Why was Christopher Wood known for being particularly experienced in scrounging lodging and food?
9. What was Biglow's father's idea of success?
10. Why did a sculler have to find motivation within himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Athletes in sports other than rowing could make money through commercial endorsements and sponsorships. Discuss why sports were big business, and why rowing did not profit from the big business aspect of sports.
Essay Topic 2
Parker was troubled by the coaching he had given Lewis. Discuss how Parker coached Lewis and why he was troubled by the coaching he gave Lewis.
Essay Topic 3
The eastern and western rowing coaches had different coaching styles. Discuss the coaching styles of the eastern and western coaches, and why Biglow felt caught between the two styles of coaching.
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)