|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money could Lewis make in three or four months framing houses?
2. How much time might Wood race in a year?
3. What had the American scullers won for the past three years, before the 1984 Olympic trials?
4. How old was Biglow when he won a bronze in a world regatta?
5. How many hours did Wood exercise in a year?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Bouscaren grow up a single child with a single parent?
2. Why did Biglow decide to attend Yale?
3. Why didn't Wood and the other rowers row a stroke in the 1980 summer Olympics?
4. What was Biglow's father's idea of success?
5. What caused Madison Avenue to become more interested in the Olympics?
6. Why would it have been difficult for the Dallas Cowboys to draft Carl Lewis as a possible wide receiver?
7. What were some of the jobs that Wood had held since he graduated from college?
8. What was Jim Dietz's history rowing competitively?
9. Why did a sculler have to find motivation within himself?
10. What was an economic reason why Christopher Wood chose to travel with Charley Altekruse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Athletes in sports other than rowing could make money through commercial endorsements and sponsorships. Discuss why sports were big business, and why rowing did not profit from the big business aspect of sports.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast how Wood and Bouscaren dealt with their disappointment when they did not make the Olympic rowing team.
Essay Topic 3
The eastern and western rowing coaches had different coaching styles. Discuss the coaching styles of the eastern and western coaches, and why Biglow felt caught between the two styles of coaching.
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)