|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Biglow when he won a bronze in a world regatta?
2. How many strokes did Wood take in the final and realize that he was rowing the wrong race?
3. How much weight could Lewis lift in the dead lift?
4. How much money could Lewis make in three or four months framing houses?
5. When did the Biglows move West?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way were the rowing athletes treated differently from other Olympic hopefuls?
2. How would Wood's coach Harry Parker accept it if Wood said that he no longer wanted to be a sculler?
3. What disability did teachers discover that Biglow had when he was in the seventh grade?
4. What were some of the jobs that Wood had held since he graduated from college?
5. Why did a sculler have to find motivation within himself?
6. Why did Mitch accompany Lewis to Princeton?
7. What was Jim Dietz's history rowing competitively?
8. Why had Lewis's home life not been an easy one?
9. Why, when Wood was in his mid-twenties, would he ritually get ready to quit rowing and then stay on?
10. Why didn't Biglow's grandmother want him to row in the Olympic trials?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Other oarsmen called Paul Enquist Paul "Zenquist". Discuss why Enquist was nicknamed Paul "Zenquist".
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why the Soviets and East Germans pulled out of the 1984 Olympics and how that affected rowing for the Americans.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the men who were competing to represent America in the single scull at the 1984 Olympics.
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)