|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much would Wood have allowed Biglow to pay to rent the new scull that he bought?
2. When did Woodrow Wilson approach a philanthropist and ask for a donation for the Princeton law school?
3. When Donald Beer won an Olympic gold medal, what rowing event did he compete in?
4. Which branch of the service did Harry Parker serve in?
5. Who did Biglow go to visit after the finals?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Pertti Karppinen.
2. In what way were the rowing athletes treated differently from other Olympic hopefuls?
3. Why did Biglow decide to attend Yale?
4. What caused Madison Avenue to become more interested in the Olympics?
5. Why didn't Wood and the other rowers row a stroke in the 1980 summer Olympics?
6. Why had Lewis's home life not been an easy one?
7. Why was Christopher Wood known for being particularly experienced in scrounging lodging and food?
8. Why, when Wood was in his mid-twenties, would he ritually get ready to quit rowing and then stay on?
9. Why did both Biglow and Wood want to be the single sculler in the 1984 Olympic games?
10. What questions did Biglow ask Parker when he called him before he returned to Cambridge?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lewis created his own training devices and used some inventive methods to improve his rowing. Discuss why he created his own training devices and what some of these inventive methods and creative training devices were that he used to improve his rowing.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, discuss why perseverance was necessary to succeed in rowing.
Essay Topic 3
Parker was troubled by the coaching he had given Lewis. Discuss how Parker coached Lewis and why he was troubled by the coaching he gave Lewis.
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)