|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Bouscaren go to medical school?
2. On the Monday after the finals, which country pulled out of the 1984 Olympics?
3. As the 1984 Olympics approached, how long had it been since the United States had had a serious chance to win an Olympic medal?
4. How much would Wood have allowed Biglow to pay to rent the new scull that he bought?
5. What was Biglow's grade point average when he graduated from Yale?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Biglow like about being in the Olympic camp?
2. What were some things that inspired Wood to continue rowing?
3. Why, when Wood was in his mid-twenties, would he ritually get ready to quit rowing and then stay on?
4. Why didn't Biglow watch videotapes of the final of the single scull?
5. What did Fritz Hagerman, an Ohio University professor who specialized in testing athletes, believe was a reason why those who dominated in sculling were physiological freaks?
6. Why did Mitch accompany Lewis to Princeton?
7. What advice did Dietz give Wood after rowing together in their first practice in the double?
8. Why did Biglow decide to attend Yale?
9. Describe Pertti Karppinen.
10. What were some of the jobs that Wood had held since he graduated from college?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the notoriety and funding that most Olympic hopefuls received compared to what Olympic rowers received and why these disparities existed.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, discuss Biglow's desire to achieve and how that affected the way that he lived his life.
Essay Topic 3
Lewis created his own training devices and used some inventive methods to improve his rowing. Discuss why he created his own training devices and what some of these inventive methods and creative training devices were that he used to improve his rowing.
This section contains 1,249 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)