|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Bouscaren graduate from Yale?
2. Where did Biglow go after the finals?
3. What branch of service was Bouscaren's father in during World War II?
4. Who did the U.S. hockey team beat in the 1980 winter Olympics?
5. How tall was Lewis?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some of the jobs that Wood had held since he graduated from college?
2. In what way were the rowing athletes treated differently from other Olympic hopefuls?
3. What was Biglow's father's idea of success?
4. Describe Pertti Karppinen.
5. Why did Biglow decide to attend Yale?
6. Why would it have been difficult for the Dallas Cowboys to draft Carl Lewis as a possible wide receiver?
7. How would Wood's coach Harry Parker accept it if Wood said that he no longer wanted to be a sculler?
8. Why was it difficult to televise rowing?
9. What adjustments did Altekruse have to make when he went from being an oarsman to a sculler?
10. Why were the American teams at a disadvantage competing against the Europeans in the Olympic games?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Because of the competitive nature of rowing, there were many conflicts between rowers. Discuss events that caused conflict in the book, whether the conflict was resolved, and how the conflict affected various individuals.
Essay Topic 2
Compare the notoriety and funding that most Olympic hopefuls received compared to what Olympic rowers received and why these disparities existed.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, discuss Biglow's desire to achieve and how that affected the way that he lived his life.
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)