|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the favorite to win the right to represent the United States in the single sculls for the 1984 Olympic games?
2. How many hours did Wood practice?
3. What job had Wood had in Hartford?
4. How much did Biglow weigh?
5. How old was Christopher Wood during the time of the 1984 Olympic game trials?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way were the rowing athletes treated differently from other Olympic hopefuls?
2. Why was it difficult to televise rowing?
3. Why wasn't Brad Lewis taken seriously as a rower?
4. Why was Christopher Wood known for being particularly experienced in scrounging lodging and food?
5. What did Wood do after the Olympics?
6. Why did Enquist tell Lewis not to get arrested and put in jail?
7. How did Biglow and Most get an opportunity to row in a regatta in the East?
8. How did Cunningham's coaching career begin in Seattle?
9. What caused Madison Avenue to become more interested in the Olympics?
10. What did Wood arrange to liven things up a little and perhaps give him a sense of belonging at the Olympics?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Biglow had two coaches who were strong influences in his rowing career. Compare the relationship that Biglow had with his coaches: Frank Cunningham and Tony Johnson.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, discuss why perseverance was necessary to succeed in rowing.
Essay Topic 3
After the training camp ended and the final selections for the Olympic games were made, Parker felt that he had made some mistakes. Discuss the mistakes that Parker believed he made during the training camp.
This section contains 1,256 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)