|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sport did Bouscaren try when he first came to Yale?
2. Where was Biglow from?
3. How tall was Lewis?
4. Where was the most revealing image that Steve Kiesling ever saw published of John Biglow?
5. What type of a business did Wood work for after leaving Hartford?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was it difficult to televise rowing?
2. Why didn't Biglow's grandmother want him to row in the Olympic trials?
3. What disability did teachers discover that Biglow had when he was in the seventh grade?
4. Why did Mitch accompany Lewis to Princeton?
5. Why did Biglow decide to attend Yale?
6. What did Fritz Hagerman, an Ohio University professor who specialized in testing athletes, believe was a reason why those who dominated in sculling were physiological freaks?
7. Why didn't Bouscaren play tennis at Yale?
8. What was an economic reason why Christopher Wood chose to travel with Charley Altekruse?
9. What was Biglow's father's idea of success?
10. Why didn't Wood and the other rowers row a stroke in the 1980 summer Olympics?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss why the Americans boycotted the 1980 summer Olympics and how the rowers reacted to this boycott. Wood was quoted as saying that he had to force himself to keep rowing. Discuss why and how Wood would force himself to continue rowing.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, discuss why perseverance was necessary to succeed in rowing.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why the Soviets and East Germans pulled out of the 1984 Olympics and how that affected rowing for the Americans.
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)