|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Prior to the 1984 Olympics, when was the last time that an American won gold in rowing?
2. How tall was Biglow?
3. Who did Biglow go to visit after the finals?
4. Where did Wood transfer to after working in Hartford?
5. When Donald Beer won an Olympic gold medal, what rowing event did he compete in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was an economic reason why Christopher Wood chose to travel with Charley Altekruse?
2. What disability did teachers discover that Biglow had when he was in the seventh grade?
3. Why didn't Wood and the other rowers row a stroke in the 1980 summer Olympics?
4. Why had Lewis's home life not been an easy one?
5. Why did a photo of John Biglow published in the "Yale Daily News" make Steve Kiesling a little uneasy?
6. Why were the American teams at a disadvantage competing against the Europeans in the Olympic games?
7. Describe Pertti Karppinen.
8. What caused Madison Avenue to become more interested in the Olympics?
9. What did Fritz Hagerman, an Ohio University professor who specialized in testing athletes, believe was a reason why those who dominated in sculling were physiological freaks?
10. How did Wood feel when he was rowing in the final?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Other oarsmen called Paul Enquist Paul "Zenquist". Discuss why Enquist was nicknamed Paul "Zenquist".
Essay Topic 2
Harry Parker offered Lewis a spot as the eighth man in a quad. Using the arguments that Lewis used, argue whether he should or should not have accepted the position.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the reasons why Wood and Biglow both wanted to be the single sculler in the Olympic games.
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)