|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the Monday after the finals, which country pulled out of the 1984 Olympics?
2. How old was Biglow when he won a bronze in a world regatta?
3. By which decade was the marriage between sports and television virtually complete?
4. What was Biglow's grade point average when he graduated from Yale?
5. Where did Biglow go after the finals?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why had Lewis's home life not been an easy one?
2. What adjustments did Altekruse have to make when he went from being an oarsman to a sculler?
3. Why were the American teams at a disadvantage competing against the Europeans in the Olympic games?
4. Why was Christopher Wood known for being particularly experienced in scrounging lodging and food?
5. What were some of the jobs that Wood had held since he graduated from college?
6. Why did Bouscaren grow up a single child with a single parent?
7. What was Biglow's father's idea of success?
8. Why didn't Bouscaren play tennis at Yale?
9. How would Wood's coach Harry Parker accept it if Wood said that he no longer wanted to be a sculler?
10. Why, when Wood was in his mid-twenties, would he ritually get ready to quit rowing and then stay on?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Because of his background, Biglow seemed different from his college classmates. Discuss how Biglow was different from his teammates and classmates.
Essay Topic 2
Biglow had two coaches who were strong influences in his rowing career. Compare the relationship that Biglow had with his coaches: Frank Cunningham and Tony Johnson.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast how Wood and Bouscaren dealt with their disappointment when they did not make the Olympic rowing team.
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)