|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the fall of 1983, what sign did Lewis see that indicated to him that he had reached world-class status?
2. Where did Bouscaren go to medical school?
3. What was Biglow's grade point average when he graduated from Yale?
4. In what magazine did Lewis read an article about Wood?
5. When Donald Beer won an Olympic gold medal, what rowing event did he compete in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Biglow glad that he chose Dartmouth Medical School?
2. Why was the row that Wood and Pat Walter rowed an odd row?
3. What did Lewis decide about his and Enquist's chances at the Olympics after viewing videotapes of Lucerne and last year's world championships?
4. What adjustments did Altekruse have to make when he went from being an oarsman to a sculler?
5. Why did a photo of John Biglow published in the "Yale Daily News" make Steve Kiesling a little uneasy?
6. Why, when Wood was in his mid-twenties, would he ritually get ready to quit rowing and then stay on?
7. What was Biglow's father's idea of success?
8. Why was it so difficult for Wood that he was chosen to be a spare by the Olympic rowing committee?
9. What was an economic reason why Christopher Wood chose to travel with Charley Altekruse?
10. Why was Biglow's rowing proving to be a mystery to him and his coaches?
Essay Topic 1
The eastern and western rowing coaches had different coaching styles. Discuss the coaching styles of the eastern and western coaches, and why Biglow felt caught between the two styles of coaching.
Essay Topic 2
Lewis created his own training devices and used some inventive methods to improve his rowing. Discuss why he created his own training devices and what some of these inventive methods and creative training devices were that he used to improve his rowing.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why the Americans boycotted the 1980 summer Olympics and how the rowers reacted to this boycott. Wood was quoted as saying that he had to force himself to keep rowing. Discuss why and how Wood would force himself to continue rowing.
This section contains 1,350 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)