|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much did Wood pay for a brand-new scull in the spring before the Olympic trials?
2. Where did Bouscaren go to medical school?
3. How long did most young men compete in rowing?
4. Where did Lewis work out when he was rowing?
5. How tall was Biglow?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some things that inspired Wood to continue rowing?
2. Why was Christopher Wood known for being particularly experienced in scrounging lodging and food?
3. Why didn't Wood and the other rowers row a stroke in the 1980 summer Olympics?
4. Why was it difficult to televise rowing?
5. Why did a photo of John Biglow published in the "Yale Daily News" make Steve Kiesling a little uneasy?
6. What adjustments did Altekruse have to make when he went from being an oarsman to a sculler?
7. Why did both Biglow and Wood want to be the single sculler in the 1984 Olympic games?
8. Why, when Wood was in his mid-twenties, would he ritually get ready to quit rowing and then stay on?
9. Why did Mitch accompany Lewis to Princeton?
10. How did Lewis support himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the notoriety and funding that most Olympic hopefuls received compared to what Olympic rowers received and why these disparities existed.
Essay Topic 2
Parker was troubled by the coaching he had given Lewis. Discuss how Parker coached Lewis and why he was troubled by the coaching he gave Lewis.
Essay Topic 3
When the names were drawn for the semifinals for the Olympic trials, there were mixed reactions to the draw. Discuss the draw for the semifinals and the reactions to the draw.
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)