|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When had Christopher Wood been a spare on an Olympic team, before 1984?
2. By the time of the trials for the 1984 Olympics, how long had it been since Wood graduated from college?
3. On the Monday after the finals, which country pulled out of the 1984 Olympics?
4. When had Christopher Wood been the captain of the Olympic rowing team?
5. When did Woodrow Wilson approach a philanthropist and ask for a donation for the Princeton law school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Biglow decide to attend Yale?
2. Why didn't Biglow's grandmother want him to row in the Olympic trials?
3. Why had Lewis's home life not been an easy one?
4. What adjustments did Altekruse have to make when he went from being an oarsman to a sculler?
5. What were some of the jobs that Wood had held since he graduated from college?
6. How would Wood's coach Harry Parker accept it if Wood said that he no longer wanted to be a sculler?
7. What were some things that inspired Wood to continue rowing?
8. Describe Pertti Karppinen.
9. What was Jim Dietz's history rowing competitively?
10. What disability did teachers discover that Biglow had when he was in the seventh grade?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the reasons why Wood and Biglow both wanted to be the single sculler in the Olympic games.
Essay Topic 2
Other oarsmen called Paul Enquist Paul "Zenquist". Discuss why Enquist was nicknamed Paul "Zenquist".
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, discuss Biglow's desire to achieve and how that affected the way that he lived his life.
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)