|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the 1984 Olympics approached, how long had it been since the United States had had a serious chance to win an Olympic medal?
2. How long had Harry Parker been Wood's coach on and off?
3. What branch of service was Bouscaren's father in during World War II?
4. Where did Lewis work out when he was rowing?
5. Which branch of the service did Harry Parker serve in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Wood like at prep school and at Harvard?
2. Why was Christopher Wood known for being particularly experienced in scrounging lodging and food?
3. Why had Lewis's home life not been an easy one?
4. Describe Pertti Karppinen.
5. What was an economic reason why Christopher Wood chose to travel with Charley Altekruse?
6. How did Wood feel when he was rowing in the final?
7. What were some things that inspired Wood to continue rowing?
8. Why, when Wood was in his mid-twenties, would he ritually get ready to quit rowing and then stay on?
9. Why wasn't Brad Lewis taken seriously as a rower?
10. Why didn't Bouscaren play tennis at Yale?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast how Wood and Bouscaren dealt with their disappointment when they did not make the Olympic rowing team.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, discuss Biglow's desire to achieve and how that affected the way that he lived his life.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the reasons why Wood and Biglow both wanted to be the single sculler in the Olympic games.
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)