|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When a race was over and Wood had rowed at his peak, how long would it take his body to physically replenish?
2. How much did Wood and his teammates once spend apiece to stay in a room at the Princeton Motor Lodge?
3. Biglow and Bouscaren were staying with Donald Beer. When did Beer graduate from Yale?
4. How old was the person that Biglow visited after the finals?
5. What was the name of the day school that Biglow attended?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Wood feel when he was rowing in the final?
2. What did Wood arrange to liven things up a little and perhaps give him a sense of belonging at the Olympics?
3. Why did Lewis nickname Altekruse's and Bouscaren's boat?
4. How did Tony Johnson help Lewis and Enquist at Ithaca?
5. Why was Marine boot camp a revelation to Frank Cunningham?
6. Why did Parker and Altekruse argue on the day of the Princeton trials?
7. How did Biglow and Most get an opportunity to row in a regatta in the East?
8. Why didn't Bouscaren play tennis at Yale?
9. Why was Biglow glad that he chose Dartmouth Medical School?
10. Why were the American teams at a disadvantage competing against the Europeans in the Olympic games?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss why the Americans boycotted the 1980 summer Olympics and how the rowers reacted to this boycott. Wood was quoted as saying that he had to force himself to keep rowing. Discuss why and how Wood would force himself to continue rowing.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why Bouscaren, Biglow, Lewis, and Wood had different feelings about rowing after the Olympics, and why each man did or did not decide to continue rowing.
Essay Topic 3
Because of the competitive nature of rowing, there were many conflicts between rowers. Discuss events that caused conflict in the book, whether the conflict was resolved, and how the conflict affected various individuals.
This section contains 1,338 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)