|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Lewis work out when he was rowing?
2. What was Biglow's first choice for college?
3. How much would Wood have allowed Biglow to pay to rent the new scull that he bought?
4. When had Christopher Wood been the captain of the Olympic rowing team?
5. How many hours did Wood exercise in a year?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was an economic reason why Christopher Wood chose to travel with Charley Altekruse?
2. Why didn't Wood and the other rowers row a stroke in the 1980 summer Olympics?
3. What were some things that inspired Wood to continue rowing?
4. How did Lewis support himself?
5. Why did both Biglow and Wood want to be the single sculler in the 1984 Olympic games?
6. Why didn't Biglow's grandmother want him to row in the Olympic trials?
7. How would Wood's coach Harry Parker accept it if Wood said that he no longer wanted to be a sculler?
8. What did Fritz Hagerman, an Ohio University professor who specialized in testing athletes, believe was a reason why those who dominated in sculling were physiological freaks?
9. Why did Biglow decide to attend Yale?
10. What caused Madison Avenue to become more interested in the Olympics?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Other oarsmen called Paul Enquist Paul "Zenquist". Discuss why Enquist was nicknamed Paul "Zenquist".
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, discuss Biglow's desire to achieve and how that affected the way that he lived his life.
Essay Topic 3
Harry Parker offered Lewis a spot as the eighth man in a quad. Using the arguments that Lewis used, argue whether he should or should not have accepted the position.
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)