|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much did Wood and his teammates once spend apiece to stay in a room at the Princeton Motor Lodge?
2. Prior to the 1984 Olympics, when was the last time that an American won gold in rowing?
3. Who were two well-known teammates that Wood had crewed with in college?
4. By the time of the trials for the 1984 Olympics, how long had it been since Wood graduated from college?
5. When Donald Beer won an Olympic gold medal, what rowing event did he compete in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Bouscaren grow up a single child with a single parent?
2. Why wasn't Brad Lewis taken seriously as a rower?
3. What questions did Biglow ask Parker when he called him before he returned to Cambridge?
4. Why was Christopher Wood known for being particularly experienced in scrounging lodging and food?
5. What did Fritz Hagerman, an Ohio University professor who specialized in testing athletes, believe was a reason why those who dominated in sculling were physiological freaks?
6. Why did both Biglow and Wood want to be the single sculler in the 1984 Olympic games?
7. What caused Madison Avenue to become more interested in the Olympics?
8. What was Biglow's father's idea of success?
9. Why were the American teams at a disadvantage competing against the Europeans in the Olympic games?
10. Why would it have been difficult for the Dallas Cowboys to draft Carl Lewis as a possible wide receiver?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book, discuss why perseverance was necessary to succeed in rowing.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why the Soviets and East Germans pulled out of the 1984 Olympics and how that affected rowing for the Americans.
Essay Topic 3
Other oarsmen called Paul Enquist Paul "Zenquist". Discuss why Enquist was nicknamed Paul "Zenquist".
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)