|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When had Christopher Wood been a spare on an Olympic team, before 1984?
2. Who was the Harvard sweep oarsman who had a tough time dealing with the mental adjustment to sculling?
3. How long would each oarsman row when on the ergometer?
4. Who were two well-known teammates that Wood had crewed with in college?
5. Where did Wood transfer to after working in Hartford?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Bouscaren grow up a single child with a single parent?
2. What was Wood like at prep school and at Harvard?
3. Why was it difficult to televise rowing?
4. Why did a sculler have to find motivation within himself?
5. What questions did Biglow ask Parker when he called him before he returned to Cambridge?
6. Describe Pertti Karppinen.
7. Why were the American teams at a disadvantage competing against the Europeans in the Olympic games?
8. Why wasn't Brad Lewis taken seriously as a rower?
9. Why did Biglow decide to attend Yale?
10. Why didn't Wood and the other rowers row a stroke in the 1980 summer Olympics?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the reasons why Wood and Biglow both wanted to be the single sculler in the Olympic games.
Essay Topic 2
After the training camp ended and the final selections for the Olympic games were made, Parker felt that he had made some mistakes. Discuss the mistakes that Parker believed he made during the training camp.
Essay Topic 3
Biglow had two coaches who were strong influences in his rowing career. Compare the relationship that Biglow had with his coaches: Frank Cunningham and Tony Johnson.
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)