|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long had Harry Parker been Wood's coach on and off?
2. By the time of the trials for the 1984 Olympics, how long had it been since Wood graduated from college?
3. How long was the annual rowing race between Yale and Harvard?
4. Who was the person that Lewis worked with most of the time when he was rowing?
5. What job had Wood had in Hartford?
Short Essay Questions
1. What disability did teachers discover that Biglow had when he was in the seventh grade?
2. Why did a sculler have to find motivation within himself?
3. What caused Madison Avenue to become more interested in the Olympics?
4. How did Lewis support himself?
5. Why was it difficult to televise rowing?
6. Why did a photo of John Biglow published in the "Yale Daily News" make Steve Kiesling a little uneasy?
7. In what way were the rowing athletes treated differently from other Olympic hopefuls?
8. Why would it have been difficult for the Dallas Cowboys to draft Carl Lewis as a possible wide receiver?
9. Why didn't Biglow's grandmother want him to row in the Olympic trials?
10. What was Jim Dietz's history rowing competitively?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Other oarsmen called Paul Enquist Paul "Zenquist". Discuss why Enquist was nicknamed Paul "Zenquist".
Essay Topic 2
When the names were drawn for the semifinals for the Olympic trials, there were mixed reactions to the draw. Discuss the draw for the semifinals and the reactions to the draw.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why the Americans boycotted the 1980 summer Olympics and how the rowers reacted to this boycott. Wood was quoted as saying that he had to force himself to keep rowing. Discuss why and how Wood would force himself to continue rowing.
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)