|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the Biglows move West?
2. Who was the favorite to win the right to represent the United States in the single sculls for the 1984 Olympic games?
3. When Shealy was on the Harvard crew, by how many lengths did Harvard beat the University of Washington?
4. Biglow and Bouscaren were staying with Donald Beer. When did Beer graduate from Yale?
5. Who did Biglow go to visit after the finals?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Biglow decide to attend Yale?
2. How would Wood's coach Harry Parker accept it if Wood said that he no longer wanted to be a sculler?
3. Why did Mitch accompany Lewis to Princeton?
4. What questions did Biglow ask Parker when he called him before he returned to Cambridge?
5. What were some of the jobs that Wood had held since he graduated from college?
6. Why didn't Wood and the other rowers row a stroke in the 1980 summer Olympics?
7. Why did a sculler have to find motivation within himself?
8. Why did Bouscaren grow up a single child with a single parent?
9. Why did a photo of John Biglow published in the "Yale Daily News" make Steve Kiesling a little uneasy?
10. What was an economic reason why Christopher Wood chose to travel with Charley Altekruse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Other oarsmen called Paul Enquist Paul "Zenquist". Discuss why Enquist was nicknamed Paul "Zenquist".
Essay Topic 2
Because of his background, Biglow seemed different from his college classmates. Discuss how Biglow was different from his teammates and classmates.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, discuss why perseverance was necessary to succeed in rowing.
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)