|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was the most revealing image that Steve Kiesling ever saw published of John Biglow?
(a) The Daily Free Press.
(b) The Harvard Crimson.
(c) The Daily Princetonian.
(d) Yale Daily News.
2. Who was the favorite to win the right to represent the United States in the single sculls for the 1984 Olympic games?
(a) John Biglow.
(b) Christopher Wood.
(c) Charley Altekruse.
(d) Joe Bouscaren.
3. What was the new name for the publication "The Oarsman"?
(a) America Rows.
(b) Rowing in the United States.
(c) United States Rowing.
(d) Rowing USA.
4. When did the Biglows move West?
(a) After World War II.
(b) After the Spanish American War.
(c) After the Civil War.
(d) After World War I.
5. Who was President the year that the U.S. boycotted the summer Olympic games?
(a) Richard Nixon.
(b) Ronald Reagan.
(c) Gerald Ford.
(d) Jimmy Carter.
Short Answer Questions
1. By the time of the trials for the 1984 Olympics, how long had it been since Wood graduated from college?
2. Who was the Harvard sweep oarsman who had a tough time dealing with the mental adjustment to sculling?
3. Where did Biglow go after the finals?
4. On the Monday after the finals, which country pulled out of the 1984 Olympics?
5. What had the American scullers won for the past three years, before the 1984 Olympic trials?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some of the jobs that Wood had held since he graduated from college?
2. What disability did teachers discover that Biglow had when he was in the seventh grade?
3. Why did Mitch accompany Lewis to Princeton?
4. Why was Christopher Wood known for being particularly experienced in scrounging lodging and food?
5. How did Lewis support himself?
6. Why did both Biglow and Wood want to be the single sculler in the 1984 Olympic games?
7. Why, when Wood was in his mid-twenties, would he ritually get ready to quit rowing and then stay on?
8. Why had Lewis's home life not been an easy one?
9. What adjustments did Altekruse have to make when he went from being an oarsman to a sculler?
10. Why didn't Wood and the other rowers row a stroke in the 1980 summer Olympics?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)