|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How fast could a scull move per hour?
(a) 20 to 22 miles.
(b) 13 to 14 miles.
(c) 30 to 35 miles.
(d) 5 to 8 miles.
2. What sport did Carl Lewis participate in that reportedly allowed him to earn $1 million a year in appearance fees and endorsements?
3. Who was the person that Lewis worked with most of the time when he was rowing?
(a) His coach.
(b) His brother.
(c) His cousin.
(d) His father.
4. Where did Lewis work out when he was rowing?
(b) Long Beach.
(c) Naples Bay.
(d) Mission Bay.
5. Where was Dan Goldberg from?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was President the year that the U.S. boycotted the summer Olympic games?
2. Where was Biglow from?
3. What did Carl Lewis collect?
4. What job had Wood had in Hartford?
5. How long had Harry Parker been Wood's coach on and off?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Mitch accompany Lewis to Princeton?
2. Why were the American teams at a disadvantage competing against the Europeans in the Olympic games?
3. What did Fritz Hagerman, an Ohio University professor who specialized in testing athletes, believe was a reason why those who dominated in sculling were physiological freaks?
4. Why did Biglow decide to attend Yale?
5. Why was Christopher Wood known for being particularly experienced in scrounging lodging and food?
6. Why didn't Biglow's grandmother want him to row in the Olympic trials?
7. How did Lewis support himself?
8. Why did a sculler have to find motivation within himself?
9. Why, when Wood was in his mid-twenties, would he ritually get ready to quit rowing and then stay on?
10. Why had Lewis's home life not been an easy one?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)