|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sport did Harry Parker encourage rowers to take up because it built up athletic endurance?
(b) Cross-country skiing.
2. By which decade was the marriage between sports and television virtually complete?
3. In the fall of 1983, what sign did Lewis see that indicated to him that he had reached world-class status?
(a) He was regularly beating Svensson.
(b) It was taking him less time to recover.
(c) He won the fall regatta.
(d) His speed for his Lidos had dropped in half.
4. How much older was Wood than most of his competitors?
(a) 3 to 4 years.
(b) 5 to 6 years.
(c) 7 to 8 years.
(d) 1 to 2 years.
5. What did Carl Lewis collect?
(a) Antiques and crystal.
(c) Antique automobiles.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had the American scullers won for the past three years, before the 1984 Olympic trials?
2. When Donald Beer won an Olympic gold medal, what rowing event did he compete in?
3. By the time of the trials for the 1984 Olympics, how long had it been since Wood graduated from college?
4. What year did the U.S. boycott the summer Olympic games?
5. What college did Biglow and Bouscaren row for?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would Wood's coach Harry Parker accept it if Wood said that he no longer wanted to be a sculler?
2. What questions did Biglow ask Parker when he called him before he returned to Cambridge?
3. Why did Bouscaren grow up a single child with a single parent?
4. What was Wood like at prep school and at Harvard?
5. Why was Christopher Wood known for being particularly experienced in scrounging lodging and food?
6. What was Jim Dietz's history rowing competitively?
7. What disability did teachers discover that Biglow had when he was in the seventh grade?
8. What caused Madison Avenue to become more interested in the Olympics?
9. Why were the American teams at a disadvantage competing against the Europeans in the Olympic games?
10. Why did Biglow decide to attend Yale?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)