|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Wood transfer to after working in Hartford?
(b) New Haven.
2. How much older was Wood than most of his competitors?
(a) 1 to 2 years.
(b) 5 to 6 years.
(c) 3 to 4 years.
(d) 7 to 8 years.
3. How much would Wood have allowed Biglow to pay to rent the new scull that he bought?
(a) $50 a week.
(b) $15 a week.
(c) $25 a week.
(d) $75 a week.
4. Who did Biglow go to visit after the finals?
(a) Grandmother Biglow.
(b) His father.
(c) His sister.
(d) His mother.
5. How wide was a rowing scull?
(a) 17 inches.
(b) 15 inches.
(c) 12 inches.
(d) 19 inches.
Short Answer Questions
1. How tall was Biglow?
2. What did Carl Lewis collect?
3. How many more miles did Lewis row after reading an article about Wood in a magazine?
4. What sport did Carl Lewis participate in that reportedly allowed him to earn $1 million a year in appearance fees and endorsements?
5. What college did Biglow and Bouscaren row for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did a photo of John Biglow published in the "Yale Daily News" make Steve Kiesling a little uneasy?
2. What adjustments did Altekruse have to make when he went from being an oarsman to a sculler?
3. What was Wood like at prep school and at Harvard?
4. In what way were the rowing athletes treated differently from other Olympic hopefuls?
5. Why did both Biglow and Wood want to be the single sculler in the 1984 Olympic games?
6. Why were the American teams at a disadvantage competing against the Europeans in the Olympic games?
7. Why didn't Bouscaren play tennis at Yale?
8. Why was it difficult to televise rowing?
9. Why didn't Biglow's grandmother want him to row in the Olympic trials?
10. What was an economic reason why Christopher Wood chose to travel with Charley Altekruse?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)