|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Biglow and Bouscaren were staying with Donald Beer. When did Beer graduate from Yale?
2. How much did Wood pay for a brand-new scull in the spring before the Olympic trials?
3. When did the Biglows move West?
(a) After World War I.
(b) After the Civil War.
(c) After the Spanish American War.
(d) After World War II.
4. What sport did Carl Lewis participate in that reportedly allowed him to earn $1 million a year in appearance fees and endorsements?
5. What sport did Bouscaren try when he first came to Yale?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Lewis pay Mitch to accompany him to Princeton?
2. What did it cost Lewis to attend the Princeton weekend?
3. Which cities were the most serious rowing cities in America?
4. What was the name of the day school that Biglow attended?
5. By the time of the trials for the 1984 Olympics, how long had it been since Wood graduated from college?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why had Lewis's home life not been an easy one?
2. How would Wood's coach Harry Parker accept it if Wood said that he no longer wanted to be a sculler?
3. Why didn't Wood and the other rowers row a stroke in the 1980 summer Olympics?
4. Why did Biglow decide to attend Yale?
5. Why were the American teams at a disadvantage competing against the Europeans in the Olympic games?
6. What did Fritz Hagerman, an Ohio University professor who specialized in testing athletes, believe was a reason why those who dominated in sculling were physiological freaks?
7. Why didn't Biglow's grandmother want him to row in the Olympic trials?
8. Why did a sculler have to find motivation within himself?
9. Describe Pertti Karppinen.
10. What adjustments did Altekruse have to make when he went from being an oarsman to a sculler?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)