|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On the Monday after the finals, which country pulled out of the 1984 Olympics?
(b) Soviet Union.
(c) West Germany.
2. How many liters of oxygen could a world-class rower take in per minute?
(a) 5 liters.
(b) 4 liters.
(c) 6 liters.
(d) 3 liters.
3. When did Karppinen first win an Olympic gold medal?
4. How much did a scull weigh?
(a) Just under 20 pounds.
(b) Just under 30 pounds.
(c) Just under 50 pounds.
(d) Just under 40 pounds.
5. What type of a business did Wood work for after leaving Hartford?
(a) Brokerage firm.
(b) Consulting firm.
(c) Engineering firm.
(d) Insurance company.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who donated the money for the lake where the 1984 Olympic trials took place?
2. How long did most young men compete in rowing?
3. How much did Biglow weigh?
4. How old was Bouscaren's mother when she died?
5. When Donald Beer won an Olympic gold medal, what rowing event did he compete in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What disability did teachers discover that Biglow had when he was in the seventh grade?
2. Why did Mitch accompany Lewis to Princeton?
3. Why would it have been difficult for the Dallas Cowboys to draft Carl Lewis as a possible wide receiver?
4. How would Wood's coach Harry Parker accept it if Wood said that he no longer wanted to be a sculler?
5. Why wasn't Brad Lewis taken seriously as a rower?
6. Why did Biglow decide to attend Yale?
7. Why didn't Bouscaren play tennis at Yale?
8. Why were the American teams at a disadvantage competing against the Europeans in the Olympic games?
9. Why, when Wood was in his mid-twenties, would he ritually get ready to quit rowing and then stay on?
10. In what way were the rowing athletes treated differently from other Olympic hopefuls?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)