|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the favorite to win the right to represent the United States in the single sculls for the 1984 Olympic games?
(a) Joe Bouscaren.
(b) John Biglow.
(c) Charley Altekruse.
(d) Christopher Wood.
2. How wide was a rowing scull?
(a) 12 inches.
(b) 19 inches.
(c) 15 inches.
(d) 17 inches.
3. Near what town would Biglow be rowing in the Olympics?
(a) San Diego.
(d) Santa Barbara.
4. What had the American scullers won for the past three years, before the 1984 Olympic trials?
(a) Second place.
(b) Fourth place.
(c) Third place.
(d) First place.
5. At what mark did Lewis surge ahead of Bouscaren in the finals?
(a) 1000 meter mark.
(b) 500 meter mark.
(c) 1500 meter mark.
(d) 1200 meter mark.
6. How much money was brought into town when the Olympic trials were held in Chapter 1?
(a) $5 million.
(b) $10 million.
(c) $6 million.
(d) $7 million.
7. Where did Biglow go after the finals?
(a) New York.
(c) New Jersey.
8. How much would Wood have allowed Biglow to pay to rent the new scull that he bought?
(a) $25 a week.
(b) $75 a week.
(c) $50 a week.
(d) $15 a week.
9. How tall was Biglow?
(a) 6 ft. 1 inch.
(b) 6 ft. 4 inches.
(c) 6 ft. 3 inches.
(d) 5 ft. 11 inches.
10. What year did Biglow graduate from college?
11. What job had Wood had in Hartford?
(c) Actuarial expert.
(d) Configuration expert.
12. By the time of the trials for the 1984 Olympics, how long had it been since Wood graduated from college?
(a) 5 years.
(b) 9 years.
(c) 4 years.
(d) 2 years.
13. Which cities were the most serious rowing cities in America?
(a) Boston and Philadelphia.
(b) New York and Washington, D.C.
(c) Seattle and Portland.
(d) Hartford and New Haven.
14. How much weight could Lewis lift in the dead lift?
(a) 375 pounds.
(b) 525 pounds.
(c) 405 pounds.
(d) 135 pounds.
15. How much did Wood pay for a brand-new scull in the spring before the Olympic trials?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many strokes did Wood take in the final and realize that he was rowing the wrong race?
2. When a race was over and Wood had rowed at his peak, how long would it take his body to physically replenish?
3. Biglow and Bouscaren were staying with Donald Beer. When did Beer graduate from Yale?
4. How long did most young men compete in rowing?
5. Where were the Olympic trials held in Chapter 1?
This section contains 355 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)