|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who were two well-known teammates that Wood had crewed with in college?
(a) Shealy and Cashin.
(b) Ryan and Belinn.
(c) Bucklin and Carpenter.
(d) Phillips and Minner.
2. Prior to the 1984 Olympics, when was the last time that an American won gold in rowing?
3. How old was Biglow when he first rowed in a single scull?
4. What sport did Carl Lewis participate in that reportedly allowed him to earn $1 million a year in appearance fees and endorsements?
5. What had the American scullers won for the past three years, before the 1984 Olympic trials?
(a) Third place.
(b) First place.
(c) Second place.
(d) Fourth place.
6. How much money could Lewis make in three or four months framing houses?
(a) $8,000 to $9,000.
(b) $6,000 or $7,000.
(c) $3,000 to $4,000.
(d) $5,000 to $6,000.
7. When a race was over and Wood had rowed at his peak, how long would it take his body to physically replenish?
(a) 5 days.
(b) 6 days.
(c) 7 days.
(d) 3 days.
8. What college did Wood oar for?
(c) Boston University.
9. How much time might Wood race in a year?
(a) 130 minutes.
(b) 220 minutes.
(c) 90 minutes.
(d) 75 minutes.
10. Who did Biglow go to visit after the finals?
(a) His sister.
(b) Grandmother Biglow.
(c) His mother.
(d) His father.
11. What branch of service was Bouscaren's father in during World War II?
(c) Air Force.
12. Where did Lewis work out when he was rowing?
(a) Long Beach.
(c) Naples Bay.
(d) Mission Bay.
13. How tall was Pertti Karppinen?
(a) 6 ft. 4 in.
(b) 6 ft. 7 in.
(c) 6 ft. 5 in.
(d) 6 ft. 6 in.
14. How long did most young men compete in rowing?
(a) 10 years.
(b) 2 years.
(c) 6 years.
(d) 4 years.
15. How many hours did Wood practice?
(a) As many as 500 hours.
(b) About 300 hours.
(c) About 700 hours.
(d) As many as 475 hours.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Bouscaren's mother when she died?
2. What sport did Harry Parker encourage rowers to take up because it built up athletic endurance?
3. What was Biglow's grade point average when he graduated from Yale?
4. Which cities were the most serious rowing cities in America?
5. By the time of the trials for the 1984 Olympics, how long had it been since Wood graduated from college?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)