|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many hours did Wood practice?
(a) As many as 475 hours.
(b) As many as 500 hours.
(c) About 300 hours.
(d) About 700 hours.
2. Where was Dan Goldberg from?
3. In the fall of 1983, what sign did Lewis see that indicated to him that he had reached world-class status?
(a) His speed for his Lidos had dropped in half.
(b) He was regularly beating Svensson.
(c) It was taking him less time to recover.
(d) He won the fall regatta.
4. How many more miles did Lewis row after reading an article about Wood in a magazine?
5. Where was Biglow from?
(b) San Francisco.
6. How long would each oarsman row when on the ergometer?
(a) 5 minutes.
(b) 12 minutes.
(c) 10 minutes.
(d) 15 minutes.
7. What was Biglow's grade point average when he graduated from Yale?
8. Before the 1984 Olympics, when was the last time that a bronze had been won by an American in the single sculls?
9. How much would Wood have allowed Biglow to pay to rent the new scull that he bought?
(a) $25 a week.
(b) $15 a week.
(c) $75 a week.
(d) $50 a week.
10. How wide was a rowing scull?
(a) 19 inches.
(b) 12 inches.
(c) 15 inches.
(d) 17 inches.
11. What had the American scullers won for the past three years, before the 1984 Olympic trials?
(a) Fourth place.
(b) Third place.
(c) Second place.
(d) First place.
12. How long did most young men compete in rowing?
(a) 6 years.
(b) 2 years.
(c) 4 years.
(d) 10 years.
13. How old was Biglow when he first rowed in a single scull?
14. Prior to the 1984 Olympics, when was the last time that an American won gold in rowing?
15. Near what town would Biglow be rowing in the Olympics?
(b) Santa Barbara.
(c) San Diego.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the most revealing image that Steve Kiesling ever saw published of John Biglow?
2. How much older was Wood than most of his competitors?
3. Who was President the year that the U.S. boycotted the summer Olympic games?
4. When did Karppinen first win an Olympic gold medal?
5. What year did Biglow graduate from college?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)