|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What year did Biglow graduate from college?
2. Where was Dan Goldberg from?
3. What type of a business did Wood work for after leaving Hartford?
(a) Insurance company.
(b) Engineering firm.
(c) Brokerage firm.
(d) Consulting firm.
4. How old was Bouscaren's mother when she died?
5. How many hours did Wood exercise in a year?
(a) As many as 600.
(b) Over 700.
(c) About 400.
(d) As many 800.
6. When did Bouscaren graduate from Yale?
7. How many more miles did Lewis row after reading an article about Wood in a magazine?
8. What were Anthony Bouscaren's religious beliefs?
9. In the late 1870s, how much money might a top sculler make per year in purses?
10. Which cities were the most serious rowing cities in America?
(a) Seattle and Portland.
(b) New York and Washington, D.C.
(c) Boston and Philadelphia.
(d) Hartford and New Haven.
11. How wide was a rowing scull?
(a) 19 inches.
(b) 12 inches.
(c) 17 inches.
(d) 15 inches.
12. Who was the Harvard sweep oarsman who had a tough time dealing with the mental adjustment to sculling?
(a) Joe Bouscaren.
(b) Brad Lewis.
(c) Charley Altekruse.
(d) John Biglow.
13. What was Biglow's first choice for college?
(a) Boston University.
(b) Williams College.
(c) Broward College.
(d) Strayer University.
14. What did Wood do after losing the final?
(a) Had a tailgate picnic with his family.
(b) Went for a long walk with his fiancee.
(c) Went off by himself.
(d) Took his fiancee to dinner.
15. When did the Biglows move West?
(a) After World War II.
(b) After World War I.
(c) After the Spanish American War.
(d) After the Civil War.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Carl Lewis collect?
2. What had the American scullers won for the past three years, before the 1984 Olympic trials?
3. What sport did Harry Parker encourage rowers to take up because it built up athletic endurance?
4. How much did Wood pay for a brand-new scull in the spring before the Olympic trials?
5. What was Biglow's grade point average when he graduated from Yale?
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)