|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While in the military, Beecham is involved what riot?
2. What is the last name of the family that was murdered in New York in 1880?
3. When looking for Beecham's apartment, the team finds an elderly woman with what kind of pets?
4. What is the name of the older brother whose parents were murdered in 1880?
5. Where are Moore and Kreizler supposed to go in Chapter 34?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Moore and Kreizler learn about Pomeroy's childhood when they talk to him?
2. What clue do Moore and Kreizler uncover on a trip to Washington D.C.?
3. What do the Isaacsons learn while in Chicago?
4. What does the team find when they visit the apartment where John has been living?
5. Why do city officials kidnap Moore and Kreizler?
6. What happens when Moore and Kreizler attend the opera on the night when the killer is supposed to strike?
7. Describe Moore's meeting with two local bishops when he is investigating the boy prostitute murders.
8. How does John die?
9. What does Kreizler tell Moore about Mary after they get shot at?
10. How does Paul help Kreizler and his team?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the different people who make up the investigative team. What are the backgrounds of each character? What does each character bring to the table? How do they work together throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the use of historically accurate aspects in the novel. What historically accurate events, places, people, or ideas have you noticed throughout the book? What techniques does the author use to paint a historically accurate picture of New York City at this time? What tone do you think Carr is trying to create?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the role of Theodore Roosevelt in the novel. How does he drive the plot? Discuss the ways the story benefits from having a real person as a character. What disadvantages are there to this usage?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)