|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What branch of the military does Beecham join?
2. Who holds a gun to the killer's head when he is being interrogated?
3. In Chapter 30, Moore and Kreizler wake up to find a Postal Censor named what?
4. What is the name of the expert Moore and Kreizler talk to in Chapter 28?
5. How many children do Adam and his wife have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Kreizler surprise Moore one day by taking him on a long train trip?
2. Why do city officials kidnap Moore and Kreizler?
3. What does Sara share with Moore about Kreizler's childhood?
4. What does Dr. Wissler tell Moore and Kreizler about Indian mutilations?
5. What does the team find when they visit the apartment where John has been living?
6. What bad news do Moore and Kreizler receive in Chapter 36?
7. What do Moore and Sara learn when they go to the census office to ask if John ever worked there?
8. What happens when Moore and Kreizler attend the opera on the night when the killer is supposed to strike?
9. How does the investigative team know that the killer is bald?
10. How does Moore find himself knocked unconscious at the Croton Reservoir?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the significance of Kreizler leaving the case after Mary is killed. What is his reasoning for dropping out of the case? Why does he make this decision after his love has been killed? Does he seem justified in his reasoning? Why or why not? Why does he eventually come back? What has changed?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the role of Sara in the novel. What is her personality like? How does she interact with other characters? What seems to be her driving motivation? How would the novel be different without her? Do you think the author uses her character to make a statement about women in this time period? Why or why not? Use text to support your claim.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the fact that the team eventually realizes that the killer fits perfectly into the psychological profile they have constructed. How do they come to these conclusions? How do they react when their theories start becoming realities? Why do you think Carr makes the killer fit their profile so exactly? What point is he trying to make?
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)