|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who saves Moore and Kreizler from being harassed by a mob in Chapter 27?
2. In Chapter 26, the team realizes that the killer is what?
3. What activity does Adam say helped Japheth with his facial tick?
4. In what year does Beecham join the military?
5. What is the name of the Catholic bishop Moore visits in Chapter 22?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Morgan feel about Moore and Kreizler's investigation?
2. What do Moore and Sara learn when they go to the census office to ask if John ever worked there?
3. What do Moore and Kreizler learn from Adam Dury?
4. How does John end up being sent to St. Elizabeth's Asylum?
5. Why does Kreizler surprise Moore one day by taking him on a long train trip?
6. How does the investigative team know that the killer is bald?
7. How does Paul help Kreizler and his team?
8. What does Sara share with Moore about Kreizler's childhood?
9. What does Kreizler tell Moore about Mary after they get shot at?
10. What bad news do Moore and Kreizler receive in Chapter 36?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the use of foreshadowing in the novel. Choose at least two instances of foreshadowing and expand on them. How was the foreshadowed issue addressed later in the novel? Why do you think Carr chooses to use foreshadowing in these instances?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the theme of evil used in "The Alienist". What seems to be the idea of the notion of evil as portrayed in the book? What does Kreizler seem to feel about the idea of evil? What does it seem like the author is saying about the nature of evil?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the use of socioeconomic statuses and racial tensions in the novel. Where do you see class differences? Why are the distinctions important to the story? How are immigrants treated in the story? What about Native Americans? What do you think the author might be trying to say about the societal issues at the time when the story takes place?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)