|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Moore learns in D.C. about a murder that seems connected to the killer in what New York city?
2. While in the military, Beecham is involved what riot?
3. Moore begins researching unsolved crimes in what bureau?
4. How is Mary killed?
5. Who kills Beecham?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Marcus become excited when he sees that the killer left the third murdered boy prostitute's eye in tact?
2. What bad news do Moore and Kreizler receive in Chapter 36?
3. Why does Kreizler agree to rejoin the case?
4. How does Paul help Kreizler and his team?
5. Describe Moore's meeting with two local bishops when he is investigating the boy prostitute murders.
6. How does John end up being sent to St. Elizabeth's Asylum?
7. What does the team find when they visit the apartment where John has been living?
8. How does the investigative team know that the killer is bald?
9. How does Morgan feel about Moore and Kreizler's investigation?
10. What does Dr. Wissler tell Moore and Kreizler about Indian mutilations?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the reasons why the team is drawn to the murder case. When do you first get the sense that the case is very important to Kreizler? Why do you think he initially becomes involved in wanting to solve it? What about the other characters?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the use of historically accurate aspects in the novel. What historically accurate events, places, people, or ideas have you noticed throughout the book? What techniques does the author use to paint a historically accurate picture of New York City at this time? What tone do you think Carr is trying to create?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the significance of Kreizler leaving the case after Mary is killed. What is his reasoning for dropping out of the case? Why does he make this decision after his love has been killed? Does he seem justified in his reasoning? Why or why not? Why does he eventually come back? What has changed?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)