|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 30, Moore and Kreizler wake up to find a Postal Censor named what?
2. Who says, "No, sir, there was the devil in it all, somewhere..."?
3. What is the name of the Episcopal bishop Moore visits in Chapter 22?
4. How does Adam say he has been married?
5. Where are Moore and Kreizler supposed to go in Chapter 34?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Marcus become excited when he sees that the killer left the third murdered boy prostitute's eye in tact?
2. What do Lucius and Marcus find when they autopsy John's body?
3. What do Moore and Sara learn when they go to the census office to ask if John ever worked there?
4. Why do city officials kidnap Moore and Kreizler?
5. How does the investigative team know that the killer is bald?
6. What bad news do Moore and Kreizler receive in Chapter 36?
7. How does Moore find himself knocked unconscious at the Croton Reservoir?
8. How does Paul help Kreizler and his team?
9. What happens when Moore and Kreizler attend the opera on the night when the killer is supposed to strike?
10. What does Sara share with Moore about Kreizler's childhood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of secondary characters in the story. Why do you think there are so many secondary characters in the novel? What tone do they create? Why do you think the author introduces them all so soon in the narrative? What purpose might this serve?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the fact that the team eventually realizes that the killer fits perfectly into the psychological profile they have constructed. How do they come to these conclusions? How do they react when their theories start becoming realities? Why do you think Carr makes the killer fit their profile so exactly? What point is he trying to make?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the instance in the novel when Kreizler finally gets to interrogate the killer. What sorts of questions does Kreizler ask the killer? How does the killer respond to the questions? What techniques does the author use to portray the attitudes of both Kreizler and the killer? How does Kreizler seem to feel about the responses he receives?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)