|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Pomeroy when he was incarcerated?
2. How many children do Adam and his wife have?
3. Moore visits a Catholic church that is working on a new what?
4. In Chapter 30, Moore and Kreizler wake up to find a Postal Censor named what?
5. Who gives Moore and Kreizler permission to continue their investigation, against the wishes of his peers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Marcus become excited when he sees that the killer left the third murdered boy prostitute's eye in tact?
2. What information does Sara uncover about the New Paltz murders?
3. Why does Kreizler surprise Moore one day by taking him on a long train trip?
4. Describe Moore's meeting with two local bishops when he is investigating the boy prostitute murders.
5. How does Moore find himself knocked unconscious at the Croton Reservoir?
6. What bad news do Moore and Kreizler receive in Chapter 36?
7. What does the team find when they visit the apartment where John has been living?
8. What do Moore and Sara learn when they go to the census office to ask if John ever worked there?
9. How does John die?
10. What clue do Moore and Kreizler uncover on a trip to Washington D.C.?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the significance of Joseph in the story. What role does Joseph play in the narrative of the story? How does he relate to Moore? What does his character reveal about Moore? Why is his death significant?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the use of socioeconomic statuses and racial tensions in the novel. Where do you see class differences? Why are the distinctions important to the story? How are immigrants treated in the story? What about Native Americans? What do you think the author might be trying to say about the societal issues at the time when the story takes place?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the role of Sara in the novel. What is her personality like? How does she interact with other characters? What seems to be her driving motivation? How would the novel be different without her? Do you think the author uses her character to make a statement about women in this time period? Why or why not? Use text to support your claim.
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)