|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While in the military, Beecham is involved in a riot in what city?
2. What is Pomeroy's first name?
3. Where does the killer kick Moore, knocking him unconscious?
4. After how many days in D.C. does Moore learn about a murder in New York that seems connected to the killer?
5. Who is laughed at for being bald?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Moore find himself knocked unconscious at the Croton Reservoir?
2. Why does Kreizler agree to rejoin the case?
3. What does the team find when they visit the apartment where John has been living?
4. Why do city officials kidnap Moore and Kreizler?
5. What do the Isaacsons learn while in Chicago?
6. How does John end up being sent to St. Elizabeth's Asylum?
7. What does Kreizler tell Moore about Mary after they get shot at?
8. What does Dr. Wissler tell Moore and Kreizler about Indian mutilations?
9. How does Paul help Kreizler and his team?
10. What bad news do Moore and Kreizler receive in Chapter 36?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the role of Theodore Roosevelt in the novel. How does he drive the plot? Discuss the ways the story benefits from having a real person as a character. What disadvantages are there to this usage?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the different people who make up the investigative team. What are the backgrounds of each character? What does each character bring to the table? How do they work together throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the use of foreshadowing in the novel. Choose at least two instances of foreshadowing and expand on them. How was the foreshadowed issue addressed later in the novel? Why do you think Carr chooses to use foreshadowing in these instances?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)