|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year does Beecham join the military?
2. Kreizler says his father is of what descent?
3. In the final chapter, Moore says Marcus and Lucius live where?
4. What is the name of the expert Moore and Kreizler talk to in Chapter 28?
5. Pomeroy holds Moore captive with what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the team find when they visit the apartment where John has been living?
2. How does Paul help Kreizler and his team?
3. What do Moore and Kreizler learn from Adam Dury?
4. What does Sara share with Moore about Kreizler's childhood?
5. What does Kreizler tell Moore about Mary after they get shot at?
6. What do Moore and Sara learn when they go to the census office to ask if John ever worked there?
7. What clue do Moore and Kreizler uncover on a trip to Washington D.C.?
8. What do Moore and Kreizler learn about Pomeroy's childhood when they talk to him?
9. What do the Isaacsons learn while in Chicago?
10. What bad news do Moore and Kreizler receive in Chapter 36?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the fact that powerful men in the city are trying to scare the team off of the murder case. Who are the men that have been trying to put a stop to the investigation? What lengths have they gone to to try to scare Kreizler and Moore off of the case? What are there reasons for doing this? What do you think the author is trying to say about the city during this time period through the powerful men?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the theme of evil used in "The Alienist". What seems to be the idea of the notion of evil as portrayed in the book? What does Kreizler seem to feel about the idea of evil? What does it seem like the author is saying about the nature of evil?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the instance in the novel when Kreizler finally gets to interrogate the killer. What sorts of questions does Kreizler ask the killer? How does the killer respond to the questions? What techniques does the author use to portray the attitudes of both Kreizler and the killer? How does Kreizler seem to feel about the responses he receives?
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)