|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What branch of the military does Beecham join?
2. Where are Moore and Kreizler supposed to go in Chapter 34?
3. What is the last name of the family that was murdered in New York in 1880?
4. What is the name of the older brother whose parents were murdered in 1880?
5. How many children do Adam and his wife have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kreizler tell Moore about Mary after they get shot at?
2. How does John die?
3. How does Moore find himself knocked unconscious at the Croton Reservoir?
4. What do Moore and Sara learn when they go to the census office to ask if John ever worked there?
5. Why does Kreizler agree to rejoin the case?
6. What do the Isaacsons learn while in Chicago?
7. What does Dr. Wissler tell Moore and Kreizler about Indian mutilations?
8. Why does Marcus become excited when he sees that the killer left the third murdered boy prostitute's eye in tact?
9. What do Moore and Kreizler learn from Adam Dury?
10. How does John end up being sent to St. Elizabeth's Asylum?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of secondary characters in the story. Why do you think there are so many secondary characters in the novel? What tone do they create? Why do you think the author introduces them all so soon in the narrative? What purpose might this serve?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the role of Theodore Roosevelt in the novel. How does he drive the plot? Discuss the ways the story benefits from having a real person as a character. What disadvantages are there to this usage?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Moore and Kreizler. How are they alike and how are they different? How do the characters play off of each other? How might the story be different if either character was not present?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)