|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who vehemently disagrees with the idea that a woman probably contributed to the killer's suffering?
2. Who says, "But I can tell you, John--that's a man's work, back there."?
3. Where does Giorgio work at the time of his death?
4. What was the major reason Kreizler chose the new headquarters he picked in Chapter 12?
5. How many women work for the New York City police department at the time when Kreizler is investigating a murder?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads Kreizler to believe that the person who killed the boy prostitute is a serial killer?
2. Why does the investigative team visit Castle Garden in Chapter 14?
3. Why does Moore go to Paresis Hall in Chapter 11?
4. How does Moore feel about the possibility that Kreizler and Sara are in love?
5. Why does Kreizler become angry when he is at Bellevue?
6. What does Roosevelt give Moore on March 3, 1896 at the watchtower?
7. What similar murder to the murder of the boy prostitute does Kreizler bring up in Chapter 6?
8. How is the room where Giorgio served his clients described?
9. How does Moore meet Joseph?
10. Describe the letter Sara obtains from that was sent to Mrs. Santorelli.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the role of Sara in the novel. What is her personality like? How does she interact with other characters? What seems to be her driving motivation? How would the novel be different without her? Do you think the author uses her character to make a statement about women in this time period? Why or why not? Use text to support your claim.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the fact that the team eventually realizes that the killer fits perfectly into the psychological profile they have constructed. How do they come to these conclusions? How do they react when their theories start becoming realities? Why do you think Carr makes the killer fit their profile so exactly? What point is he trying to make?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss your feelings about the way the novel ended. What stands out most to you about the ending? Are you satisfied with the way the story ends? Why or why not? What might you change about the ending?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)