|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ailment does Kreizler's housekeeper have?
2. Who says, "Change isn't something most people enjoy, even if it's progressive change."?
3. A friend of Moore's writes an article about the killer for what newspaper?
4. What is the only known cause for why the man in the insane asylum killed his neighbor's daughter?
5. What is the name of Moore's maid?
Short Essay Questions
1. What theories does the team develop about the killer's childhood and history, based on the evidence they have found?
2. How does Moore feel about the possibility that Kreizler and Sara are in love?
3. Why is the team quickly smuggled out the back of Castle Garden?
4. Why does the investigative team visit Castle Garden in Chapter 14?
5. Why does Stevie knock on Moore's door on the morning of March 3, 1896?
6. Why does Kreizler become angry when he is at Bellevue?
7. Why is Sara concerned for the safety of the Santorellis?
8. What does Marcus discover when examining the scene of the murder of the second boy prostitute?
9. What does Joseph tell Moore and Marcus about the second murdered boy prostitute?
10. Why does Kreizler withhold his goal from the Isaacsons when he asks them to examine the bodies of a brother and sister?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the reasons why the team is drawn to the murder case. When do you first get the sense that the case is very important to Kreizler? Why do you think he initially becomes involved in wanting to solve it? What about the other characters?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the use of historically accurate aspects in the novel. What historically accurate events, places, people, or ideas have you noticed throughout the book? What techniques does the author use to paint a historically accurate picture of New York City at this time? What tone do you think Carr is trying to create?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the instance in the novel when Kreizler finally gets to interrogate the killer. What sorts of questions does Kreizler ask the killer? How does the killer respond to the questions? What techniques does the author use to portray the attitudes of both Kreizler and the killer? How does Kreizler seem to feel about the responses he receives?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)