|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Joseph say called his murdered friend "uppity"?
2. What is the name of the restaurant where Moore and Kreizler meet for lunch after a funeral?
3. What is the address of the new headquarters Kreizler chooses for his team in Chapter 12?
4. Sara once worked as an assistant to a person of what profession?
5. Who says, "That's one gutsy girl."?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kreizler react when Sara announces that she believes the killer had a woman in his life who has lead to his suffering?
2. How do Moore and Kreizler begin reminiscing about the murder case that makes up the stories narrative?
3. Why does the investigative team visit Castle Garden in Chapter 14?
4. Why does Roosevelt want Moore's investigation into the boy prostitute's murder to be a secret.
5. Why does Moore wake up in a strange place in Chapter 12?
6. Why is Sara concerned for the safety of the Santorellis?
7. What does Joseph tell Moore and Marcus about the second murdered boy prostitute?
8. Why does Moore begin to suspect that Kreizler and Sara are in love?
9. How is the room where Giorgio served his clients described?
10. Why is Sara waiting for Moore at his doorstep in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the use of socioeconomic statuses and racial tensions in the novel. Where do you see class differences? Why are the distinctions important to the story? How are immigrants treated in the story? What about Native Americans? What do you think the author might be trying to say about the societal issues at the time when the story takes place?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the fact that powerful men in the city are trying to scare the team off of the murder case. Who are the men that have been trying to put a stop to the investigation? What lengths have they gone to to try to scare Kreizler and Moore off of the case? What are there reasons for doing this? What do you think the author is trying to say about the city during this time period through the powerful men?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of secondary characters in the story. Why do you think there are so many secondary characters in the novel? What tone do they create? Why do you think the author introduces them all so soon in the narrative? What purpose might this serve?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)