|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of equipment does Marcus believe the killer is using to gain entry to the crime scenes?
2. What is the name of the woman Moore was once engaged to?
3. What is the name of the man who killed his neighbor's daughter for no apparent reason?
4. Who says in Chapter 21 that a woman probably contributed to the killer's suffering?
5. What is the name of Kreizler's friend who helped inspire his theory?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Moore learn from one of Giorgio's friends about his murder?
2. How does John die?
3. Why does Moore go to Paresis Hall in Chapter 11?
4. Why do city officials kidnap Moore and Kreizler?
5. How does Paul help Kreizler and his team?
6. Describe Moore's meeting with two local bishops when he is investigating the boy prostitute murders.
7. What do Moore and Sara learn when they go to the census office to ask if John ever worked there?
8. What concerns does the investigative team have they are studying psychology to learn about the killer's possible motives?
9. What do Moore and Kreizler learn about Pomeroy's childhood when they talk to him?
10. How does the investigative team know that the killer is bald?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss your feelings about the way the novel ended. What stands out most to you about the ending? Are you satisfied with the way the story ends? Why or why not? What might you change about the ending?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the fact that the team eventually realizes that the killer fits perfectly into the psychological profile they have constructed. How do they come to these conclusions? How do they react when their theories start becoming realities? Why do you think Carr makes the killer fit their profile so exactly? What point is he trying to make?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the revelation that Kreizler was abused as a child. Why do you think the author chose to make this character a victim of domestic abuse? What point might he be trying to make?
This section contains 1,789 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)