|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marcus find on the side of the building where a body is found in Chapter 14?
2. What nickname does Roosevelt's wife give to Kreizler?
3. Moore says Hotel Gonfarone serves the best of what kind of food?
4. Who does Marcus say is good with kids?
5. What is the name of the institution where Kreizler takes Moore to interview a man who killed his neighbor's daughter for no apparent reason.
Short Essay Questions
1. What similar murder to the murder of the boy prostitute does Kreizler bring up in Chapter 6?
2. How does the investigative team know that the killer is bald?
3. Why does Kreizler become angry when he is at Bellevue?
4. What theories does the team develop about the killer's childhood and history, based on the evidence they have found?
5. Why does Moore go to Paresis Hall in Chapter 11?
6. What do the Isaacsons learn while in Chicago?
7. Why do Kreizler and Moore visit Kreizler's institute in Chapter 7?
8. Why does Stevie knock on Moore's door on the morning of March 3, 1896?
9. How does Paul help Kreizler and his team?
10. What does Biff tell Moore when he visits Paresis Hall in Chapter 11?
Essay Topic 1
Look at the use of socioeconomic statuses and racial tensions in the novel. Where do you see class differences? Why are the distinctions important to the story? How are immigrants treated in the story? What about Native Americans? What do you think the author might be trying to say about the societal issues at the time when the story takes place?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the different people who make up the investigative team. What are the backgrounds of each character? What does each character bring to the table? How do they work together throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the instance in the novel when Kreizler finally gets to interrogate the killer. What sorts of questions does Kreizler ask the killer? How does the killer respond to the questions? What techniques does the author use to portray the attitudes of both Kreizler and the killer? How does Kreizler seem to feel about the responses he receives?
This section contains 1,729 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)