|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the stage name of the expensive boy prostitute who tells Moore than Giorgio cannot be dead?
2. What is the last name of an essayist called Jake?
3. Who rescues Moore when he is drugged in Chapter 11?
4. What is the last name of the brother and sister who were murdered and mutilated?
5. Who presents a letter sent to Mrs. Santorelli from the killer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Sara concerned for the safety of the Santorellis?
2. How does Moore meet Joseph?
3. How does Kreizler treat Mary when the team arrives back at their headquarters after visiting the scene of the second boy prostitute murder?
4. What does Roosevelt give Moore on March 3, 1896 at the watchtower?
5. Why does the investigative team visit Castle Garden in Chapter 14?
6. What does Joseph tell Moore and Marcus about the second murdered boy prostitute?
7. What concerns does the investigative team have they are studying psychology to learn about the killer's possible motives?
8. What does Moore learn from one of Giorgio's friends about his murder?
9. What does Biff tell Moore when he visits Paresis Hall in Chapter 11?
10. How do Moore and Kreizler begin reminiscing about the murder case that makes up the stories narrative?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the significance of Joseph in the story. What role does Joseph play in the narrative of the story? How does he relate to Moore? What does his character reveal about Moore? Why is his death significant?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the fact that the story opens in 1919 and quickly shifts to 1896 and then shifts back to 1919 at the very end. Why do you think Carr chooses to tell his story this way? Why do you think he did not just write the story in chronological order with the funeral at the end? What do you think can be gained by briefly starting the story in 1919 as opposed to 1896?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the significance of Kreizler leaving the case after Mary is killed. What is his reasoning for dropping out of the case? Why does he make this decision after his love has been killed? Does he seem justified in his reasoning? Why or why not? Why does he eventually come back? What has changed?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)