|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what tool does Lucius believe the killer mutilated the brother and sister he killed?
2. What is Moore reading when Sara calls him in Chapter 13 to tell him another murder had happened?
3. What nationality are the Delmonicos?
4. Where does the woman Moore was once engaged to live?
5. Lucius and Marcus have a background in what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Sara concerned for the safety of the Santorellis?
2. How does Kreizler treat Mary when the team arrives back at their headquarters after visiting the scene of the second boy prostitute murder?
3. What does Moore see when he arrives at the Williamsburg Bridge on March 3, 1896?
4. What similar murder to the murder of the boy prostitute does Kreizler bring up in Chapter 6?
5. Why does Kreizler want Moore to meet him at Bellevue the day after they find the first body?
6. Why does Moore wake up in a strange place in Chapter 12?
7. Why does Kreizler become angry when he is at Bellevue?
8. Why is Sara waiting for Moore at his doorstep in Chapter 8?
9. Why does Stevie knock on Moore's door on the morning of March 3, 1896?
10. What do the Isaacsons tell Moore and Kreizler about the murders of a brother and sister after examining their bodies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the fact that powerful men in the city are trying to scare the team off of the murder case. Who are the men that have been trying to put a stop to the investigation? What lengths have they gone to to try to scare Kreizler and Moore off of the case? What are there reasons for doing this? What do you think the author is trying to say about the city during this time period through the powerful men?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the use of socioeconomic statuses and racial tensions in the novel. Where do you see class differences? Why are the distinctions important to the story? How are immigrants treated in the story? What about Native Americans? What do you think the author might be trying to say about the societal issues at the time when the story takes place?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the revelation that Kreizler was abused as a child. Why do you think the author chose to make this character a victim of domestic abuse? What point might he be trying to make?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)