|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After seeing a letter from the killer to Mrs. Santorelli, it is determined that the killer is about how old?
2. What is Paul's last name?
3. What color are Joseph's eyes?
4. What is the name of Roosevelt's wife?
5. Where does Moore say fingerprinting got its first practical test?
Short Essay Questions
1. What concerns does the investigative team have they are studying psychology to learn about the killer's possible motives?
2. What do the Isaacsons tell Moore and Kreizler about the murders of a brother and sister after examining their bodies?
3. What leads Kreizler to believe that the person who killed the boy prostitute is a serial killer?
4. What do Sara and Moore learn when they arrive at the home of the Santorellis?
5. What theories does the team develop about the killer's childhood and history, based on the evidence they have found?
6. Why is Sara concerned for the safety of the Santorellis?
7. What does Roosevelt give Moore on March 3, 1896 at the watchtower?
8. Why does Stevie knock on Moore's door on the morning of March 3, 1896?
9. What does Joseph tell Moore and Marcus about the second murdered boy prostitute?
10. How is the room where Giorgio served his clients described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the fact that powerful men in the city are trying to scare the team off of the murder case. Who are the men that have been trying to put a stop to the investigation? What lengths have they gone to to try to scare Kreizler and Moore off of the case? What are there reasons for doing this? What do you think the author is trying to say about the city during this time period through the powerful men?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the fact that the team eventually realizes that the killer fits perfectly into the psychological profile they have constructed. How do they come to these conclusions? How do they react when their theories start becoming realities? Why do you think Carr makes the killer fit their profile so exactly? What point is he trying to make?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the role of Sara in the novel. What is her personality like? How does she interact with other characters? What seems to be her driving motivation? How would the novel be different without her? Do you think the author uses her character to make a statement about women in this time period? Why or why not? Use text to support your claim.
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)