|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Kreizler's first name?
2. What body parts were removed from a murdered brother and sister and left in a water tank?
3. What is Giorgio's stage name?
4. What nationality are the Delmonicos?
5. What is the name of the man who killed his neighbor's daughter for no apparent reason?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Sara waiting for Moore at his doorstep in Chapter 8?
2. What does Biff tell Moore when he visits Paresis Hall in Chapter 11?
3. What do Sara and Moore learn when they arrive at the home of the Santorellis?
4. Why does Stevie knock on Moore's door on the morning of March 3, 1896?
5. Why does Moore wake up in a strange place in Chapter 12?
6. What similar murder to the murder of the boy prostitute does Kreizler bring up in Chapter 6?
7. Why does Kreizler withhold his goal from the Isaacsons when he asks them to examine the bodies of a brother and sister?
8. Why do Kreizler and Moore visit Kreizler's institute in Chapter 7?
9. How does Kreizler treat Mary when the team arrives back at their headquarters after visiting the scene of the second boy prostitute murder?
10. Why does Kreizler become angry when he is at Bellevue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss your feelings about the way the novel ended. What stands out most to you about the ending? Are you satisfied with the way the story ends? Why or why not? What might you change about the ending?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the fact that the story opens in 1919 and quickly shifts to 1896 and then shifts back to 1919 at the very end. Why do you think Carr chooses to tell his story this way? Why do you think he did not just write the story in chronological order with the funeral at the end? What do you think can be gained by briefly starting the story in 1919 as opposed to 1896?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the fact that powerful men in the city are trying to scare the team off of the murder case. Who are the men that have been trying to put a stop to the investigation? What lengths have they gone to to try to scare Kreizler and Moore off of the case? What are there reasons for doing this? What do you think the author is trying to say about the city during this time period through the powerful men?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)