|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of equipment does Marcus believe the killer is using to gain entry to the crime scenes?
2. Where does the woman Moore was once engaged to live?
3. What is the name of the woman Moore was once engaged to?
4. Who drugs Moore in Chapter 11?
5. What is the name of the restaurant where Moore and Kreizler meet for lunch after a funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marcus discover when examining the scene of the murder of the second boy prostitute?
2. What does Moore learn from one of Giorgio's friends about his murder?
3. Why does Roosevelt want Moore's investigation into the boy prostitute's murder to be a secret.
4. Why does Stevie knock on Moore's door on the morning of March 3, 1896?
5. How do Moore and Kreizler begin reminiscing about the murder case that makes up the stories narrative?
6. What concerns does the investigative team have they are studying psychology to learn about the killer's possible motives?
7. Why is Sara waiting for Moore at his doorstep in Chapter 8?
8. What theories does the team develop about the killer's childhood and history, based on the evidence they have found?
9. Why does Kreizler withhold his goal from the Isaacsons when he asks them to examine the bodies of a brother and sister?
10. How does Moore feel about the possibility that Kreizler and Sara are in love?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the role of Theodore Roosevelt in the novel. How does he drive the plot? Discuss the ways the story benefits from having a real person as a character. What disadvantages are there to this usage?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of secondary characters in the story. Why do you think there are so many secondary characters in the novel? What tone do they create? Why do you think the author introduces them all so soon in the narrative? What purpose might this serve?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the fact that the team eventually realizes that the killer fits perfectly into the psychological profile they have constructed. How do they come to these conclusions? How do they react when their theories start becoming realities? Why do you think Carr makes the killer fit their profile so exactly? What point is he trying to make?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)