* John Schuyler Moore, a newspaper reporter, meets his old friend Lazlo Kreizler, an alienist, for lunch after Theodore Roosevelt's funeral.
* Moore and Kreizler begin to talk about the investigation they worked on with Roosevelt more than 20 years ago.
* The narrative cuts to March 3, 1896, where Moore is woken up by someone pounding on his door.
* Moore opens the door to find Stevie Taggert, a former street thief who is now a servant for Kreizler, who has asked Moore to come see him.
* When Moore arrives with Stevie, he finds police officers gathered at the bottom of a watchtower.
* Moore goes to see what is happening, but he is unprepared for what he finds.
* Moore has found himself at the murder scene of a young boy who has been mutilated.
* Roosevelt, the police chief at the time, is there, and he helps his friend Moore deal...
This section contains 2,367 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)