|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Alexius head after the fall of Dyrrachium?
2. What type of alliance is Bohemund seeking?
3. Who attacks Bithynia according to Anna?
4. Who had power in the Coman nation according to Anna?
5. How does Anna qualify Alexius ' victory?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of Book XII, who does Bohemund meet with and what does he hope to incite?
2. What plot is planned by the citizens of Antioch and Anemades?
3. What happened with Nilus at the beginning of Book X?
4. What does Bohemund do when he reaches Lombardy in Book XII?
5. What happened with Diogenes at the end of Book IX?
6. Why are the Turks terrified?
7. What happened to the Scythians in the battle at Levenium that proved pivotal to the war?
8. What does Alexius hear about Tzachas?
9. Why did Alexius' advisers try to dissuade him?
10. What was not safe, according to Book VIII?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Church of the Holy Sepulcher is one of the most significant religious and cultural settings in the Byzantine Empire. In an essay, discuss the significance of the Church and give examples from the text to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
In an essay, discuss and define the importance of succession, including the succession in a lineage when pursuing the throne. Use the book and secondary sources as needed to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
In "The Alexiad", Alexius is described as being set on war to expand his country or territories. In an essay, compare Alexius' focus on the war with his focus on peace within his family. Discuss the differences in his character by comparing his actions in different parts of "The Alexiad".
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)