|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What information does Alexius receive at the start of Book IX?
2. Who does Alexius battle at the start of Book IX?
3. What city does Bohemund capture?
4. Who attacks the Empire of Cicilia in Book XII?
5. Where does Alexius head after the fall of Dyrrachium?
Short Essay Questions
1. What ends in Book VIII and what events led up to this culmination?
2. In Book XI, what are the Frankish troops doing?
3. What plot is planned by the citizens of Antioch and Anemades?
4. In Book XIII, what happens between Alexius and Aaron?
5. What does Alexius hear about Tzachas?
6. What happened with Nilus at the beginning of Book X?
7. What plot did Alexius create in Book X of "The Alexiad" and was it successful?
8. Where does Alexius want to travel and who does he ask to accompany him?
9. Why are the Turks terrified?
10. What does Alexius hope to do Bohemund's allies, friends, and servants?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Alexiad" is set in the time of the Byzantine Empire, focusing especially on the time period of Alexius, Anna Comnena's father. Discuss the importance of setting in "The Alexiad" and analyze how it contributes to the reader's understanding of the book. Students should use examples from the book to support their discussion.
Essay Topic 2
In an essay, discuss the role of the empress in "The Alexiad", including her responsibilities and tasks. Students may use outside resources to support their discussion.
Essay Topic 3
In "The Alexiad", the Church played an important role and had authority to question Alexius over certain wrongdoing or poor behavior. In an essay, examine the role the church played, including priests and the pope, in the Byzantine Empire and in "The Alexiad".
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)