|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days is Alexius delayed by the conspiracy against him?
2. Who does Alexius make Duke of the fleet?
3. Who has Nilus cavorted with?
4. Who joins forces with Alexius according to Anna?
5. What heretic does Anna open Book X with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who sucks Alexius into battle?
2. What does Alexius hope to do Bohemund's allies, friends, and servants?
3. Why did Alexius' advisers try to dissuade him?
4. What happened between Tzachas and the Sultan in Book IX?
5. What ends in Book VIII and what events led up to this culmination?
6. What happens between Ducas and Tzachas at the beginning of Book IX?
7. At the end of Book XII, who does Bohemund meet with and what does he hope to incite?
8. When Alexius is focusing on the Turks in Book XIV, who is keeping hold of Antioch?
9. What did Alexius want the crusaders to do at the end of Book X?
10. What plot is planned by the citizens of Antioch and Anemades?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Alexiad" focuses heavily on alliances established to help provide funding for wars, troops, ships and other means of fighting the enemy. In an essay, discuss the importance of establishing alliances and give examples of how these alliances benefit those involved. Students should use examples from the book to support their discussion.
Essay Topic 2
In "The Alexiad", Alexius is described as being set on war to expand his country or territories. In an essay, compare Alexius' focus on the war with his focus on peace within his family. Discuss the differences in his character by comparing his actions in different parts of "The Alexiad".
Essay Topic 3
Anna Comnena was a well educated woman for her time. In an essay, discuss her upbringing and how it affected her writing "The Alexiad".
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)