|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Alexius defeat at the start of Book VIII?
2. Who does Alexius battle at the start of Book IX?
3. What was odd about the army Alexius was fearful of?
4. Who had power in the Coman nation according to Anna?
5. What army amasses after Alexius is successful in folding the invading army?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to the Scythians in the battle at Levenium that proved pivotal to the war?
2. Who sucks Alexius into battle?
3. What happens to Bohemund's ships and what happens as a result?
4. What happens between Bohemund and Alexius at the end of Book XI?
5. In Book XI, what are the Frankish troops doing?
6. In Book XIII, what happens between Alexius and Aaron?
7. Why are the Turks terrified?
8. What happened with Diogenes at the end of Book IX?
9. What does Alexius hope to do Bohemund's allies, friends, and servants?
10. What happens between Ducas and Tzachas at the beginning of Book IX?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "The Alexiad", Alexius is described as being set on war to expand his country or territories. In an essay, compare Alexius' focus on the war with his focus on peace within his family. Discuss the differences in his character by comparing his actions in different parts of "The Alexiad".
Essay Topic 2
Anna Comnena applauds her parents and their relationship in "The Alexiad". In an essay, analyze their role in the author's life and conclude whether you think this praise is deserved. Use examples from the text and secondary sources to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
The Church of the Holy Sepulcher is one of the most significant religious and cultural settings in the Byzantine Empire. In an essay, discuss the significance of the Church and give examples from the text to support your discussion.
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)