|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What court does Alexius appear before?
2. Why does Melissenus reconsider his claim to the throne according to Anna?
3. Which of Alexius' allies is wounded in battle?
4. Who does Robert want as emperor according to Anna?
5. What does Tatus bring to the fight against the Scythians?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the adoption discussed in Book II?
2. What is the prophecy at the end of Book II?
3. What problems arise with the Ducas family at the beginning of Book III?
4. Who were the Paulicians and what happened during their suppression?
5. What does Anna believe about her fortune and why?
6. At the end of Book V, what happened to the heretic when Alexius returned home?
7. What is the conflict over choosing the Emperor?
8. What does Alexius realize about Robert in Book V?
9. What is celebrated at the end of Book VI?
10. What was the role of the Comans in Book VII?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bohemund was one of Alexius' opponents during the war as described in "The Alexiad". Compare Alexius' strategies with that of Bohemund, using the text to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
"The Alexiad" is set in the time of the Byzantine Empire, focusing especially on the time period of Alexius, Anna Comnena's father. Discuss the importance of setting in "The Alexiad" and analyze how it contributes to the reader's understanding of the book. Students should use examples from the book to support their discussion.
Essay Topic 3
"The Alexiad" includes several conspiracies which focus on destabilizing Alexius and the throne. In an essay, compare two or three of the conspiracies discussed in "The Alexiad", including how they were planned and the tactics that would have been employed had they not been uncovered. Use the text to support your discussion.
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)