|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Queen Maria's son?
2. What do the Scythians attack after being driven off by Alexius?
3. What does Pope Gregory VII accuse the one he had a dispute with of?
4. What does Anna say Alexius needed to defeat Robert?
5. What king allies himself with Alexius?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of Book V, what happened to the heretic when Alexius returned home?
2. What is celebrated at the end of Book VI?
3. What happened when people heard that Alexius survived the battle?
4. What does Anna believe about her fortune and why?
5. What is the prophecy at the end of Book II?
6. At the beginning of Book IV, what was happening with Robert?
7. According to the Preface of "The Alexiad", what is the purpose of the book?
8. What did Anna the Elder do for the Empire?
9. How does Alexius drive Byrennius out of Castoria at the beginning of Book VI?
10. What does Alexius discover on his way back to Constantinople and what does Alexius do as a result?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Church of the Holy Sepulcher is one of the most significant religious and cultural settings in the Byzantine Empire. In an essay, discuss the significance of the Church and give examples from the text to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
"The Alexiad" focuses heavily on alliances established to help provide funding for wars, troops, ships and other means of fighting the enemy. In an essay, discuss the importance of establishing alliances and give examples of how these alliances benefit those involved. Students should use examples from the book to support their discussion.
Essay Topic 3
In an essay, discuss and define the importance of succession, including the succession in a lineage when pursuing the throne. Use the book and secondary sources as needed to support your discussion.
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)