|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Anna write the book?
2. What threat does Anna end Book VI with?
3. What oath does Bryennius take according to Anna?
4. What strikes Robert's troops after the fighting resumes against Alexius and his allies?
5. What happens when people realize Alexius survived battle with Robert?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is celebrated at the end of Book VI?
2. At the end of Book VII, what plot does Alexius hear of?
3. According to the Preface of "The Alexiad", what is the purpose of the book?
4. What occurred at the synod held before Cosmas stepped down?
5. What was the role of the Comans in Book VII?
6. What about Robert frightens Alexius?
7. What is the significance of the adoption discussed in Book II?
8. What happens to the night ambush Alexius planned in Book IV?
9. What does Anna believe about her fortune and why?
10. How does Alexius drive Byrennius out of Castoria at the beginning of Book VI?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In an essay, discuss and define the importance of succession, including the succession in a lineage when pursuing the throne. Use the book and secondary sources as needed to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
In an essay, discuss the role of the empress in "The Alexiad", including her responsibilities and tasks. Students may use outside resources to support their discussion.
Essay Topic 3
The Church of the Holy Sepulcher is one of the most significant religious and cultural settings in the Byzantine Empire. In an essay, discuss the significance of the Church and give examples from the text to support your discussion.
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)