|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Tzachas from according to Anna?
2. What court does Alexius appear before?
3. What proposal does Alexius reject because he does not trust the ones who make it?
4. What family helped Alexius secure the right of the throne over his brother Isaac?
5. What language does Anna speak according to the Preface and Book I?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when people heard that Alexius survived the battle?
2. Who were the Paulicians and what happened during their suppression?
3. What does Anna believe about her fortune and why?
4. What was the role of the Comans in Book VII?
5. At the end of Book V, what happened to the heretic when Alexius returned home?
6. What is celebrated at the end of Book VI?
7. According to the Preface of "The Alexiad", what is the purpose of the book?
8. At the end of Book VII, what plot does Alexius hear of?
9. In Book V, what ancient law did Alexius examine and who acted in opposition?
10. What is the prophecy at the end of Book II?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In an essay, discuss the role of the empress in "The Alexiad", including her responsibilities and tasks. Students may use outside resources to support their discussion.
Essay Topic 2
In "The Alexiad", Alexius is described as being set on war to expand his country or territories. In an essay, compare Alexius' focus on the war with his focus on peace within his family. Discuss the differences in his character by comparing his actions in different parts of "The Alexiad".
Essay Topic 3
The Norman War began in 1081. Discuss the goals and reasons for the war, as well as strategies used to fight the war as described in "The Alexiad". Use primary and secondary sources to support your discussion.
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)