|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What plan does some of Alexius' counsel try to dissuade him of?
(a) Direct assault on the Scythians.
(b) Letting Tzelgu live.
(c) Return to Constantinople.
(d) Putting Bohemund in charge of his army.
2. What does Tatus bring to the fight against the Scythians?
(a) His knowledge of a way to get in the city of Scythia.
(b) The Comans.
(c) A fleet of pirates.
(d) His insight on Scythian battle tactics.
3. What does Anna say Alexius needed to defeat Robert?
(a) More siege machines.
(d) More troops.
4. What oath does Bryennius take according to Anna?
(a) To try to kill Robert.
(b) To marry Alexius' daughter.
(c) To never raise arms against Alexius.
(d) To ally himself with the pope.
5. What target do the Scythians go after when they attack Alexius' army?
(a) Alexius' supply lines.
(b) The horse enclosure.
(c) The imperial tent.
(d) The right flank.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Robert go to see with his troops?
2. What city does Bryennius hold?
3. Which of Alexius' allies had to retreat after a defeat?
4. Why does Anna think that Rome was weak when his father was fighting for the emperor?
5. What group does Anna say Alexius was able to ally with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Alexius realize about Robert in Book V?
2. What about Robert frightens Alexius?
3. What is the prophecy at the end of Book II?
4. How does Alexius drive Byrennius out of Castoria at the beginning of Book VI?
5. According to the Preface of "The Alexiad", what is the purpose of the book?
6. In Book V, what ancient law did Alexius examine and who acted in opposition?
7. What happens between the Scythians and Alexius at the beginning of Book VII?
8. Why was the victory against the Turks significant and when did the conflict occur?
9. What is the dissension over Pope Gregory VII, as noted at the end of Book I and why is it significant?
10. At the end of Book V, what happened to the heretic when Alexius returned home?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)