|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is made Caesar after Alexius takes power?
2. Who does Alexius call to help him against Robert?
(c) Turks and Venetians.
(d) The Franks.
3. What court does Alexius appear before?
(a) Church court.
(b) Senate court.
(c) Criminal court.
4. When does the war against the Normans end according to the start of Book VI?
5. What war does Book IV introduce?
(a) War against the Normans.
(b) War against the Turks.
(c) War against the Visigoths.
(d) War against the Franks.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Pope Gregory VII have a dispute with?
2. What was John Italus' punishment?
3. Which of Alexius' allies had to retreat after a defeat?
4. Whose daughter is Irene?
5. Why does Anna think that Rome was weak when his father was fighting for the emperor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Tzachas, as introduced in Book VII?
2. At the beginning of Book IV, what was happening with Robert?
3. What happened to Paleaologus during one of the battles described in Book IV?
4. What does Alexius discover on his way back to Constantinople and what does Alexius do as a result?
5. Who were the Paulicians and what happened during their suppression?
6. What problems arise with the Ducas family at the beginning of Book III?
7. What does Anna note about the state of Rome?
8. What is celebrated at the end of Book VI?
9. What happened when people heard that Alexius survived the battle?
10. What happens to the night ambush Alexius planned in Book IV?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)