|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Alexius start having problems with at the start of Book III?
(a) The Ducas family.
(b) The Andromicus family.
(c) The Caesar family.
(d) The Robert family.
2. What military advantage does Robert have?
(a) Long bow archers.
(b) Siege engines.
(c) Money to fund the war.
3. What does Tatus bring to the fight against the Scythians?
(a) His insight on Scythian battle tactics.
(b) A fleet of pirates.
(c) The Comans.
(d) His knowledge of a way to get in the city of Scythia.
4. Why does Anna write the book?
(a) To belittle the previous emperor.
(b) To have a record of her life.
(c) To fight the growing influence of the Pope.
(d) To record her father's deeds.
5. Who does Anna's father fight against before becoming emperor?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Botaniates renounce his claim to the throne?
2. How old is Irene when Alexius takes power?
3. What was John Italus accused of spreading?
4. Who proclaimed himself emperor of Rome and was defeated by Alexius?
5. Who is Tatus according to Anna?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Alexius do when distributing titles?
2. What is the dissension over Pope Gregory VII, as noted at the end of Book I and why is it significant?
3. What does Anna believe about her fortune and why?
4. How does Alexius drive Byrennius out of Castoria at the beginning of Book VI?
5. What was the role of the Comans in Book VII?
6. Who was Tzachas, as introduced in Book VII?
7. What does Alexius realize about Robert in Book V?
8. What is the significance of the adoption discussed in Book II?
9. What happened to Paleaologus during one of the battles described in Book IV?
10. Why was the victory against the Turks significant and when did the conflict occur?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)