|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Anna say happens after the Scythians violate a truce?
(a) The war is won by the Scythians.
(b) The two armies rest for winter.
(c) The war is won by Alexius.
(d) The war is put on hold.
2. What war does Book IV introduce?
(a) War against the Normans.
(b) War against the Visigoths.
(c) War against the Franks.
(d) War against the Turks.
3. How does Alexius collect money to get what he needs to defeat Robert?
(a) Steals from the imperial tent.
(b) Taxes leaders to give the money.
(c) Sells church property.
(d) Plunders cities.
4. What threat does Anna end Book VI with?
5. Why does Alexius have many devotees?
(a) His good looks.
(b) His money.
(c) His political power.
(d) His intelligence and virtue.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Melissenus want in order to renounce the throne?
2. Who defeats Robert's fleet in Book VI?
3. Who is Tatus according to Anna?
4. What city does Bryennius hold?
5. Who does Anna's father fight against before becoming emperor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the conflict over choosing the Emperor?
2. What does Anna believe about her fortune and why?
3. What is celebrated at the end of Book VI?
4. What does Anna note about the state of Rome?
5. At the end of Book VII, what plot does Alexius hear of?
6. What is the prophecy at the end of Book II?
7. Who were the Paulicians and what happened during their suppression?
8. What did Anna the Elder do for the Empire?
9. What happens between the Scythians and Alexius at the beginning of Book VII?
10. What does Alexius discover on his way back to Constantinople and what does Alexius do as a result?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)