|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What group does Anna say Alexius tried to convert?
(a) The Spanish.
(b) The Manicheans.
(c) The Paulicians.
(d) The Franks.
2. What language does Anna speak according to the Preface and Book I?
3. What was taken from Tzachas when Alexius took power?
(a) His titles.
(b) His honor.
(c) His wife.
(d) His fortune.
4. Why does Botaniates renounce his claim to the throne?
(a) His family obligations prevented it.
(b) His was paid off.
(c) His army is not powerful enough.
(d) His wife talked him out of it.
5. What was John Italus accused of spreading?
(a) Lies about Alexius' death.
(b) The plague.
(c) False doctrine.
(d) Robert's propaganda.
6. What does Anna say happens after the Scythians violate a truce?
(a) The war is put on hold.
(b) The war is won by the Scythians.
(c) The two armies rest for winter.
(d) The war is won by Alexius.
7. Who defeats Robert's fleet in Book VI?
(a) The Greeks.
(b) The Venetians.
(c) The Romans.
(d) The Spaniards.
8. Who is Tatus according to Anna?
(a) A pirate.
(b) A great general.
(c) A Scythian.
(d) Alexius' ally.
9. What does Melissenus want in order to renounce the throne?
(a) That he be made Grand General.
(c) The Papal blessing to divorce.
(d) To rule Asia.
10. Who does Alexius start having problems with at the start of Book III?
(a) The Ducas family.
(b) The Robert family.
(c) The Andromicus family.
(d) The Caesar family.
11. What happened to Henry's ambassador according to Anna?
(a) He was tortured.
(b) He fled the country.
(c) He switched allegiance.
(d) He was sent away.
12. What city does Robert take on his way to Dyrrachium?
13. When does the war against the Normans end according to the start of Book VI?
14. How does Alexius collect money to get what he needs to defeat Robert?
(a) Plunders cities.
(b) Sells church property.
(c) Taxes leaders to give the money.
(d) Steals from the imperial tent.
15. Who does Pope Gregory VII have a dispute with?
(a) Robert the Norman.
(b) Nicephorus Bryennius.
(c) King Henry IV of Germany.
Short Answer Questions
1. What plan does some of Alexius' counsel try to dissuade him of?
2. Whose daughter is Irene?
3. What does Robert do after his defeat by Alexius and his allies?
4. What rumor appears after Alexius is crowned emperor according to Anna?
5. What army does Tzelgu command according to Anna in Book VII?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)