|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pope Gregory VII accuse the one he had a dispute with of?
(a) Of being weak.
(b) Of not giving enough money to the church.
2. Why does Anna think that Rome was weak when his father was fighting for the emperor?
(b) The split between eastern and western empire.
(c) The previous losses because of war.
(d) The switch in religion.
3. Who is Tatus according to Anna?
(a) A pirate.
(b) Alexius' ally.
(c) A great general.
(d) A Scythian.
4. Who became Patriarch under Alexius?
(a) Caesar Classius.
(b) Eustratius Garidas.
5. Who does Alexius start having problems with at the start of Book III?
(a) The Robert family.
(b) The Andromicus family.
(c) The Ducas family.
(d) The Caesar family.
6. What marriage are Isaac and Anna Dalassena able to arrange?
(a) Alexius to the ex-wife of the pope.
(b) Isaac to the daughter of Robert.
(c) Robert to Alexius' sister.
(d) Manuel's daughter to the grandson of the emperor.
7. Who is made Caesar after Alexius takes power?
8. Who does Alexius call to help him against Robert?
(c) Turks and Venetians.
(d) The Franks.
9. What does Robert do after his defeat by Alexius and his allies?
(a) He waits for spring.
(b) He sails to Spain.
(c) He retreats to the Frank kingdom.
(d) He asks for Papal help.
10. What does Anna say Alexius needed to defeat Robert?
(b) More troops.
(d) More siege machines.
11. What city does Robert take on his way to Dyrrachium?
12. What happened to Henry's ambassador according to Anna?
(a) He was tortured.
(b) He switched allegiance.
(c) He fled the country.
(d) He was sent away.
13. What strikes Robert's troops after the fighting resumes against Alexius and his allies?
(a) Bad luck.
(c) Food rationing.
(d) The death of their horses.
14. What king allies himself with Alexius?
(a) King of France.
(b) King of the Visigoths.
(c) King of Alamania.
(d) King of Germany.
15. What was John Italus' punishment?
(d) Life in prison.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Alexius make ruler of the area after defeating Tzelgu's army?
2. What city does Bryennius hold?
3. What oath does Bryennius take according to Anna?
4. Where is Alexius resting after his battle with Robert?
5. What does Tatus bring to the fight against the Scythians?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)