|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the ruler of Dyrrachium?
(a) Caesar Classius.
(d) George Paleaologus.
2. Which of Alexius' allies is wounded in battle?
3. What army does Anna say Alexius defeated during the time of the conflict over the emperor's succession?
(a) The Franks.
(b) The Turks.
(c) The papal army.
(d) The Visigoths.
4. What group does Anna say Alexius tried to convert?
(a) The Franks.
(b) The Paulicians.
(c) The Manicheans.
(d) The Spanish.
5. At the start of Book II, what rank does Alexius attain under Michael Ducas?
(c) General in chief.
6. Whose daughter is Irene?
(a) Andromicus' daughter.
(b) Melimessius' daughter.
(c) Michael Ducas' daughter.
(d) Robert's daughter.
7. What oath does Bryennius take according to Anna?
(a) To marry Alexius' daughter.
(b) To never raise arms against Alexius.
(c) To try to kill Robert.
(d) To ally himself with the pope.
8. Who defeats Robert's fleet in Book VI?
(a) The Spaniards.
(b) The Romans.
(c) The Greeks.
(d) The Venetians.
9. What is the name of Queen Maria's son?
(b) Caesar Classius.
10. What does Pope Gregory VII accuse the one he had a dispute with of?
(a) Of being weak.
(c) Of not giving enough money to the church.
11. What king allies himself with Alexius?
(a) King of the Visigoths.
(b) King of Alamania.
(c) King of Germany.
(d) King of France.
12. What rumor appears after Alexius is crowned emperor according to Anna?
(a) He would not take a queen.
(b) He would try to expand toward the Frank kingdom.
(c) He would force the conversion of the Turks.
(d) He would take Queen Maria as wife.
13. What was John Italus accused of spreading?
(a) Lies about Alexius' death.
(b) The plague.
(c) Robert's propaganda.
(d) False doctrine.
14. Who does Pope Gregory VII have a dispute with?
(a) Robert the Norman.
(c) King Henry IV of Germany.
(d) Nicephorus Bryennius.
15. What marriage are Isaac and Anna Dalassena able to arrange?
(a) Robert to Alexius' sister.
(b) Alexius to the ex-wife of the pope.
(c) Manuel's daughter to the grandson of the emperor.
(d) Isaac to the daughter of Robert.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Bohemund when he hears about Bryennius' actions?
2. Why does Melissenus reconsider his claim to the throne according to Anna?
3. What frightens Alexius according to Anna?
4. How old is Irene when Alexius takes power?
5. What emperor sent Alexius to fight in eastern provinces?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)