|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What emperor sent Alexius to fight in eastern provinces?
2. What family helped Alexius secure the right of the throne over his brother Isaac?
(a) The Ducas family.
(b) The Robert family.
(c) The Caesar family.
(d) The Claudius family.
3. What threat does Anna end Book VI with?
4. Why does Melissenus reconsider his claim to the throne according to Anna?
(a) He does not want the responsibility.
(b) The Comnenus family is powerful.
(c) His armies defected.
(d) He was paid off.
5. How is Alexius crowned emperor according to Anna?
(a) Alexius overthrows the emperor.
(b) The emperor dies.
(c) The aging emperor abdicates.
(d) Alexius asks Isaac to kill the emperor.
6. Who became Patriarch under Alexius?
(a) Eustratius Garidas.
(d) Caesar Classius.
7. What army does Anna say Alexius defeated during the time of the conflict over the emperor's succession?
(a) The papal army.
(b) The Franks.
(c) The Visigoths.
(d) The Turks.
8. What was taken from Tzachas when Alexius took power?
(a) His honor.
(b) His titles.
(c) His wife.
(d) His fortune.
9. What language does Anna speak according to the Preface and Book I?
10. What group does Anna say Alexius was able to ally with?
11. Which of Alexius' allies had to retreat after a defeat?
(a) Michael Ducas.
(b) The King of France.
(d) John Italus.
12. Why does Botaniates renounce his claim to the throne?
(a) His family obligations prevented it.
(b) His army is not powerful enough.
(c) His wife talked him out of it.
(d) His was paid off.
13. Who does Robert delegate some of his troops to?
(a) The pope.
(b) No one.
(c) John Italus.
14. How long does the war introduced in Book IV last?
(a) 6 years.
(b) 5 years.
(c) 7 years.
(d) 4 years.
15. What war does Book IV introduce?
(a) War against the Turks.
(b) War against the Normans.
(c) War against the Visigoths.
(d) War against the Franks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What military advantage does Robert have?
2. What does Pope Gregory VII accuse the one he had a dispute with of?
3. Who wins the battle at the end of Book IV?
4. Why does Alexius have many devotees?
5. What target do the Scythians go after when they attack Alexius' army?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)