|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Williams say younger adults are socialized to have?
2. Where does Williams say a friend of hers was held at gunpoint?
3. What does Williams note pervaded the country?
4. What does Williams say small businesses used to rationalize the changes in the mid 80's?
5. What does Williams say she was accused of being against?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when African American men were walking through a white neighborhood in New York in the 1980's?
2. What argument does Williams use to defend herself against the student?
3. Why did Williams support affirmative action?
4. What three principles does Williams try to show that they interact, conflict, and interlock and what does she want to bridge the gap between?
5. What was the second attitude of whites according to Williams and why does this happen?
6. What does Williams say one must do in order to be noticed?
7. What does Williams note pervades the United States in Part 1, Chapter 1?
8. What does Williams hope to show regarding legal language?
9. What did Williams believe she did in her writing?
10. What was the first attitude of whites according to Williams and why does this happen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define and discuss affirmative action and examine how it expresses values.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the case of Tawana Brawley and examine the impact that the case had on the American public. Determine whether this case supports Williams' view regarding manhood verses white justice.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the two ideas of freedom, both the liberal and the radical and determine what Williams supports.
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)