|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Williams say the examples she gave in Part II, Chapter 4 illustrate?
(a) The neutrality of the law.
(b) Strong segregationist instinct among whites.
(c) Racism among police officers.
(d) Unlawful African-Americans.
2. What does Williams argue replaced direct oppression of African-Americans?
(a) Their freedom.
(b) Their enslavement.
(c) Their arrest.
(d) Their omission.
3. What two ideas of freedom does Williams mention in Part II, Chapter 6?
(a) Liberal and leftist.
(b) Liberal and radical.
(c) Radical and Republican.
(d) Liberal and racist.
4. What does Williams say there was a phantom of in neutrality?
5. What does Williams say recent affirmative action jurisprudence rejected?
(a) The obligation of small businesses to abide by it.
(b) The definition of prejudice.
(c) The right for African-Americans to use it.
(d) The constitutionality of racial preferences.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Williams maintain racial construction had?
2. What does Williams argue really happened when the slaves were "freed"?
3. What does Williams say some people asked when she told her story about the store?
4. What does Williams say she had to fight over while being on a consumer protection board?
5. What does Williams say was important for black students to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Williams feel when she attended Harvard Law in Part II, Chapter 4?
2. Why did Williams support affirmative action?
3. Why did one of Williams' students become angry?
4. What would be necessary for African Americans to claim their rightful place in civilization according to Williams?
5. What does Williams hope to show regarding legal language?
6. What three principles does Williams try to show that they interact, conflict, and interlock and what does she want to bridge the gap between?
7. How does the issue in the store illustrate privatization of space?
8. What happened in the second version of Williams' piece?
9. How does Williams think African Americans are seen?
10. Why did Williams have to fight a sausage manufacturer?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)