|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was removed from the article Williams wrote after the first edit?
(a) The name of the store.
(b) Her expression of rage.
(c) The date it happened.
(d) Her race.
2. What does Williams say some people thought when she told her story about the store?
(a) She made things up.
(b) She was singled out for being a woman.
(c) She did not know why she was refused access.
(d) She unfairly puts the salesman on trial.
3. What does Williams say the examples she gave in Part II, Chapter 4 illustrate?
(a) Strong segregationist instinct among whites.
(b) Racism among police officers.
(c) The neutrality of the law.
(d) Unlawful African-Americans.
4. What does Williams argue affirmative action should be protected as?
5. What does Williams say the liberal understand freedom as?
(a) Freedom of association.
(b) Freedom of religion.
(c) The right to bear arms.
(d) Freedom of speech.
6. Who does Williams say ignored her while she was attending college?
(a) Competitive white men.
(b) Other women.
(c) Her classmates.
(d) White teachers.
7. What does Williams say was important for black students to do?
(a) Vote and attend college.
(b) Seek political offices.
(c) Demand to be treated equally.
(d) Not commit crimes.
8. Who was Williams' friend held at gunpoint by?
(a) A police officer.
(b) A mugger.
(c) A white woman.
(d) Swat team.
9. What was removed from the article after the second edit?
(a) The date it happened.
(b) The name of the store and her race.
(c) Her name.
(d) Her expression of rage
10. What does Williams call the friend that suggested that her personal style of writing was too much for people?
11. What does Williams say was an important form of oppression?
(b) The image of the black criminal.
(c) The police.
(d) Black only neighborhoods.
12. What does Williams say some people claimed when she told her story about the store?
(a) They had similar stories.
(b) She didn't ask the man's name.
(c) She didn't present another opinion.
(d) She didn't ask why she was refused access.
13. What does Williams say racist attitudes towards African-American is?
(a) A form of spirit murder.
(b) The definition of slavery.
(c) Almost gone from modern society.
(d) The norm in some states.
14. What does Williams say added complexities to her opinions?
(d) Her student's opinions.
15. What does Williams say small businesses did in New York in the mid 80's according to Part I, Chapter3?
(a) They started arming their clerks.
(b) They installed buzzers at the door.
(c) They started refusing access to African-Americans.
(d) They started hiring private security.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Williams say was the first racist attitude?
2. What does Williams say students started to send her after he spoke out?
3. What conclusion does Williams say she drew from the incident at the store?
4. Where does Williams say a friend of hers was held at gunpoint?
5. What does Williams say hypothetical cases were?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)