|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III, Ladder to the Light, The Pain of Word Bondage, Chapter 8, The Pain of Word Bondage.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two ideas of freedom does Williams mention in Part II, Chapter 6?
(a) Liberal and racist.
(b) Liberal and leftist.
(c) Liberal and radical.
(d) Radical and Republican.
2. What wasn't binding during slavery?
(a) Church laws.
(b) Criminal proceedings.
(c) Ownership contracts.
(d) Marriage between slaves.
3. What does Williams say did not work as a political strategy for blacks?
(a) Describing needs.
(b) Appealing to the courts.
(c) Demanding results.
(d) Running for office.
4. What does Williams argue had a price under capitalism?
(b) Free speech.
(c) People's lives.
5. What story about Harvard did Williams use to illustrate the point she made in Part I, Chapter 1?
(a) Her arguing with a fellow law professor.
(b) Her receiving an award.
(c) Harvard's inability to find African American female professors.
(d) Her speaking with her students.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the Jewish student deface the portrait in Williams' story?
2. What does Williams say she disagreed about racial preference being?
3. What year was the student that came to Williams at the start of Part II, Chapter 5?
4. Who does Williams argue suffered under the then-current system?
5. What element of the bargaining situation did Williams and Gabel discuss?
This section contains 233 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)