|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III, Ladder to the Light, The Pain of Word Bondage, Chapter 8, The Pain of Word Bondage.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Williams say a friend of hers was held at gunpoint?
(a) The White House.
(b) The courthouse.
(c) A white restaurant.
(d) A police station.
2. What was removed from the article Williams wrote after the first edit?
(a) The name of the store.
(b) Her race.
(c) Her expression of rage.
(d) The date it happened.
3. What does Williams maintain racial construction had?
(a) Little power.
(b) Low credibility.
(c) Great power.
(d) Great responsibility.
4. What does Williams say the image of peaceful white community being interrupted by a black presence did to blacks?
(a) It dehumanized them.
(b) It made them mistrustful.
(c) It made them sad.
(d) It made them mad.
5. How does Williams argue about how Americans understood freedom?
(a) As political freedom.
(b) As an excuse for war.
(c) As a concept.
(d) In an abstract way.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Williams argue about the relation between property rights and family liberties African Americans endured under slavery?
2. What was removed from the article after the second edit?
3. What does Williams say added complexities to her opinions?
4. What was Williams accused of being after sending her correspondence to the faculty?
5. What does Williams say the attitude of privatized innocent publicized?
This section contains 236 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)