|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I, Excluding Voices, a Necklace of Thoughts on the Ideology of Style, Chapter 2, Gilded Lilies and Liberal Guilt.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Williams argue really happened when the slaves were "freed"?
(a) They went to school.
(b) They were kept in slavery.
(c) They were unowned.
(d) They were used as free labor.
2. How many principles does Williams say she will study in the book?
3. What does Williams say about how she was treated during her different social functions?
(a) As a slave.
(b) As a woman.
(c) As a white man.
(d) Both as black and non-black.
4. What does Williams note pervaded the country?
(a) Racism and anti-Vietnam.
(b) Affirmative action.
(c) Crime only.
(d) Crime, drugs and police brutality.
5. How does Williams argue about how Americans understood freedom?
(a) As political freedom.
(b) In an abstract way.
(c) As a concept.
(d) As an excuse for war.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote the memo Williams received after talking with one of her students?
2. What does Williams argue had a price under capitalism?
3. What common conception does Williams target in her book?
4. What does Williams argue about the relation between property rights and family liberties African Americans endured under slavery?
5. What did Williams' students often do when she exposed her ideas to them?
This section contains 235 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)