|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III, Ladder to the Light, A Series of Hinged Turning Points, Chapter 7, Fire and Ice.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Williams say small businesses did in New York in the mid 80's according to Part I, Chapter3?
(a) They started refusing access to African-Americans.
(b) They started hiring private security.
(c) They started arming their clerks.
(d) They installed buzzers at the door.
2. What did the contract Williams found relate to?
(a) Her ancestor's slaves.
(b) Her car.
(c) Her mother's house.
(d) The ownership of her great-great-grandmother.
3. What does Williams say recent affirmative action jurisprudence rejected?
(a) The constitutionality of racial preferences.
(b) The right for African-Americans to use it.
(c) The obligation of small businesses to abide by it.
(d) The definition of prejudice.
4. What does Williams say racist attitudes towards African-American is?
(a) The norm in some states.
(b) The definition of slavery.
(c) Almost gone from modern society.
(d) A form of spirit murder.
5. What generalization does Williams say should be fought?
(a) Black as good and white as bad.
(b) White as racist.
(c) Black as bad and white as good.
(d) Black as perfect.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Williams believe that parts of the social contract in the United States involved?
2. What was the profession of one of Williams' student's fathers according to Part I, Chapter 2?
3. What does Williams say some people claimed when she told her story about the store?
4. What does Williams say she noticed a year after her entering the same building?
5. What does Williams criticize the increase focused on?
This section contains 280 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)