|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Englishman in Part 3 looking for?
(b) An alchemist.
2. How old is the alchemist supposed to be?
(a) 300 years old.
(b) 90 years old.
(c) 100 years old.
(d) 200 years old.
3. Which of the following does Santiago not have left after his interaction with the boy in Part 2?
(d) Two stones.
4. What port town does Santiago leave from in Part 2?
5. What does Santiago do immediately after leaving the individual who performed a service for him in Part 1?
(a) Goes back to his flock.
(b) Talks to the king.
(c) Runs errands.
(d) Goes to find the merchant's daughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much of his flock does Santiago give to the old man?
2. Who is the main character of this novel?
3. What comforts Santiago after he is taken advantage of in Part 2?
4. How many golden coins does Santiago's father find in the field?
5. What does Santiago decide in Part 1 that he will no longer believe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conclusion does Santiago make about all of the information he reads in the Englishman's books?
2. What is the Alchemist testing when Santiago encounters him after leaving the chieftain?
3. What does the Alchemist suggest will happen if Santiago does not pursue his destiny?
4. How does the crystal merchant feel about Santiago leaving?
5. What do the tribesmen think Santiago is?
6. Who are the only people that Santiago's father say are able to travel?
7. What does the Alchemist tell Santiago about learning to turn lead into gold?
8. What does the principle of favorability create according to the old man?
9. After Santiago gives one-tenth of his sheep to the old man, what happens to the remainder of his flock?
10. What does the Alchemist say quests begin and end with?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)