|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does the crystal merchant say it would take Santiago to earn the amount of money needed to go to Egypt?
(a) One month.
(b) More than two years.
(c) One day.
(d) More than a year.
2. What is the payment Santiago expects for completing his first job on his journey?
(a) A ticket to Egypt.
(c) A place to sleep.
(d) A herd of sheep.
3. Where does the old man tell Santiago that his treasure can be found?
(a) The Egyptian pyramids.
(b) In the oasis.
(c) With the beautiful girl.
(d) At home.
4. What does Santiago do upon waking in Part 2, after being robbed?
(a) Looks for the old man.
(b) Helps a merchant assemble his stall.
(c) Tries to find money to buy a new ticket to Africa.
(d) Searches for the other boy.
5. In Part 1, what does Santiago want to do with his life?
(a) Become a priest.
(b) Be just like his father.
(c) Translate items for people.
(d) Travel the world.
Short Answer Questions
1. What alone will not suffice, according to the Englishman, to make it across the desert?
2. Why does the Englishman say the alchemist is able to live so long?
3. According to Part 1, what does Santiago believe will keep life interesting?
4. What principles does the old man tell Santiago about which create luck?
5. What is the job of the main character in Part 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Santiago gives one-tenth of his sheep to the old man, what happens to the remainder of his flock?
2. How does the crystal merchant feel about Santiago leaving?
3. In Part 1, what does Santiago anticipate explaining to the merchant's daughter?
4. What does the old man advise Santiago to follow?
5. How does Santiago earn money from the crystal merchant?
6. Why is Santiago disappointed in the gypsy's reading?
7. What does the principle of favorability create according to the old man?
8. What does the old man confirm after Santiago has sold his flock?
9. What does Santiago see in his father's eyes?
10. In Part 2, what intensifies as Santiago debates whether to stay with his flock or continue on to Egypt?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)