|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is the alchemist supposed to be?
(a) 300 years old.
(b) 200 years old.
(c) 100 years old.
(d) 90 years old.
2. With the money Santiago has earned working for the merchant in Part 3, how many sheep should Santiago be able to purchase?
(a) Twice the amount.
(b) Half of the amount.
(c) The same amount.
(d) Three times the amount.
3. Why is Santiago relieved when he leaves the individual whom he discussed his dream with?
(a) She dies.
(b) He believes her interpretation of the dream.
(c) He does not have to pay her.
(d) He only had to pay her a small fee.
4. How long does the crystal merchant say it would take Santiago to earn the amount of money needed to go to Egypt?
(a) One day.
(b) More than a year.
(c) More than two years.
(d) One month.
5. About how long after Santiago builds something for the crystal merchant does Santiago believe it will take him to earn enough money to return home?
(a) About three months.
(b) About six months.
(c) About twelve months.
(d) About one month.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ultimately happens to the money Santiago had from selling his flock?
2. How much of his flock does Santiago give to the old man?
3. What alone will not suffice, according to the Englishman, to make it across the desert?
4. Where does the old man tell Santiago that his treasure can be found?
5. Who rides to join the caravan periodically and warns of dangers ahead?
Short Essay Questions
1. How much money has Santiago earned by the time he is ready to leave the crystal merchant's shop?
2. At the beginning of Part 2, why is Santiago annoyed?
3. How does Santiago spend his time before he falls asleep on the old abandoned church floor?
4. What advice does Santiago's father share with him after Santiago describes his dream to travel and see the world?
5. What does the boy about his own age offer to help Santiago with?
6. What does Santiago reflect upon in Part 1 regarding to the sheep?
7. What does the old man advise Santiago to follow?
8. On what does the crystal merchant need to reflect before he decides?
9. In regard to traveling, what is Santiago's father sure?
10. Why doesn't Santiago buy a ticket to the Egyptian pyramids?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)