|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About how long after Santiago builds something for the crystal merchant does Santiago believe it will take him to earn enough money to return home?
(a) About one month.
(b) About six months.
(c) About twelve months.
(d) About three months.
2. What warning does the caravan leader give to Santiago and the others?
(a) In the caravan, disobedience means death.
(b) In the desert, you must obey the camels.
(c) In the desert, disobedience means death.
(d) In the caravan, you must obey the Bedouins.
3. What does the old man give to Santiago in Part 2?
(a) Two oracle stones.
(b) Two crystal stones.
(c) Three crystal stones.
(d) Three oracle stones.
4. What does the individual who Santiago visits in Part 1 before going to see the merchant's daughter do for him?
(a) Reads his palm.
(b) Interprets his dreams.
(c) Tells his fortune.
(d) Reads the bumps on his head.
5. How old is the alchemist supposed to be?
(a) 300 years old.
(b) 90 years old.
(c) 200 years old.
(d) 100 years old.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the decision to not return home in Part 3 make Santiago feel?
2. What language does Santiago learn while working for the merchant in Part 3?
3. What does Santiago want to do with the money he earns by working for a merchant?
4. Where does the old man tell Santiago that his treasure can be found?
5. How long does the crystal merchant say it would take Santiago to earn the amount of money needed to go to Egypt?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice does Santiago's father share with him after Santiago describes his dream to travel and see the world?
2. After Santiago gives one-tenth of his sheep to the old man, what happens to the remainder of his flock?
3. What does Santiago learn to listen to as he travels with the caravan?
4. How much money has Santiago earned by the time he is ready to leave the crystal merchant's shop?
5. How does Santiago travel to the Egyptian pyramids after leaving the crystal merchant's shop?
6. On what does the crystal merchant need to reflect before he decides?
7. How does Santiago earn money from the crystal merchant?
8. In Part 2, what intensifies as Santiago debates whether to stay with his flock or continue on to Egypt?
9. Why doesn't Santiago buy a ticket to the Egyptian pyramids?
10. What does Santiago decide in Part 2 is holding him back from reaching his destiny?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)