|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What ultimately happens to the money Santiago had from selling his flock?
(a) He loses it and cannot find it.
(b) It is stolen by the old man.
(c) It is stolen by the boy.
(d) He gives it to the crystal maker.
2. About how long after Santiago builds something for the crystal merchant does Santiago believe it will take him to earn enough money to return home?
(a) About twelve months.
(b) About three months.
(c) About six months.
(d) About one month.
3. What fear does the crystal merchant have about Santiago's second suggestion of how to improve his business?
(a) He will be unable to make what Santiago suggests.
(b) People will get sick.
(c) He will have to expand his business.
4. How does the decision to not return home in Part 3 make Santiago feel?
5. What makes Santiago realize in Part 2 that he is the only one keeping himself from traveling?
(a) The old man.
(b) The wind.
(c) His sheep.
(d) The gypsy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the job of the main character in Part 1?
2. How much of his flock does Santiago give to the old man?
3. Who does Santiago visit before he goes to see the merchant's daughter?
4. What language does Santiago learn while working for the merchant in Part 3?
5. What does the Englishman want the alchemist to teach him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice does Santiago's father share with him after Santiago describes his dream to travel and see the world?
2. What does Santiago reflect upon in Part 1 regarding to the sheep?
3. What does the principle of favorability create according to the old man?
4. Why did Santiago's parents send him to study at the seminary?
5. On what does the crystal merchant need to reflect before he decides?
6. What does the boy about his own age offer to help Santiago with?
7. How does Santiago travel to the Egyptian pyramids after leaving the crystal merchant's shop?
8. Who are the only people that Santiago's father say are able to travel?
9. How does Santiago earn money from the crystal merchant?
10. In Part 2, what intensifies as Santiago debates whether to stay with his flock or continue on to Egypt?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)