|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does the crystal merchant say it would take Santiago to earn the amount of money needed to go to Egypt?
(a) More than two years.
(b) More than a year.
(c) One day.
(d) One month.
2. Why is Santiago relieved when he leaves the individual whom he discussed his dream with?
(a) He believes her interpretation of the dream.
(b) He only had to pay her a small fee.
(c) He does not have to pay her.
(d) She dies.
3. What does the Englishman in Part 3 believe in that Santiago also believes?
(a) Muslim beliefs.
4. What does Santiago do in Part 2 after he realizes his money is gone?
(a) He cries.
(b) He stows away on a boat to Africa.
(c) He chases the boy.
(d) He goes home.
5. To where is Santiago planning on traveling by ship in Part 2?
Short Answer Questions
1. About how long after Santiago builds something for the crystal merchant does Santiago believe it will take him to earn enough money to return home?
2. In what building does Santiago spend the night before heading into the village to meet the merchant's daughter?
3. What principles does the old man tell Santiago about which create luck?
4. What does the Englishman say it is called when people are engaged in an activity with all of their heart?
5. Which of the following characters does not meet with Santiago during Part 1 of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Santiago spend his time before he falls asleep on the old abandoned church floor?
2. At the beginning of the book, how long has it been since Santiago saw the merchant's daughter?
3. How much money has Santiago earned by the time he is ready to leave the crystal merchant's shop?
4. What does Santiago learn to listen to as he travels with the caravan?
5. Why is Santiago disappointed in the gypsy's reading?
6. Why doesn't Santiago buy a ticket to the Egyptian pyramids?
7. What does the old man confirm after Santiago has sold his flock?
8. What does Santiago see in his father's eyes?
9. How does Santiago travel to the Egyptian pyramids after leaving the crystal merchant's shop?
10. In Part 1, what does Santiago anticipate explaining to the merchant's daughter?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)