|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following characters does not meet with Santiago during Part 1 of the novel?
(a) The alchemist.
(b) The king.
(c) Santiago's father.
(d) The gypsy.
2. What is Santiago's first job on his journey?
(a) Creating crystals.
(b) Cleaning windows.
(c) Selling tickets.
(d) Cleaning up after camels.
3. What does the boy in Part 2 tell Santiago he must buy in order to travel?
(a) Two crystals.
(b) Two stones.
(c) A ticket on the boat.
(d) Two camels.
4. What is Santiago looking for in his dream that he never finds?
(a) The king.
(b) Hidden treasure.
(c) His life's desire.
(d) A woman.
5. How much of his flock does Santiago give to the old man?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the decision to not return home in Part 3 make Santiago feel?
2. What alone will not suffice, according to the Englishman, to make it across the desert?
3. What is the job of the main character in Part 1?
4. What does the Englishman in Part 3 believe in that Santiago also believes?
5. What does Santiago decide in Part 1 that he will no longer believe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the crystal merchant tell Santiago he is obligated to do as a Muslim?
2. How much money has Santiago earned by the time he is ready to leave the crystal merchant's shop?
3. Who are the only people that Santiago's father say are able to travel?
4. How does Santiago think in Part 2 he can get the money to buy a ticket to Africa?
5. How does Santiago travel to the Egyptian pyramids after leaving the crystal merchant's shop?
6. What is the outcome of the display case Santiago builds in Part 3?
7. What does Santiago decide in Part 2 is holding him back from reaching his destiny?
8. How does the crystal merchant feel about Santiago leaving?
9. What does the old man confirm after Santiago has sold his flock?
10. How does Santiago spend his time before he falls asleep on the old abandoned church floor?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)