|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Santiago meet the old man in Part 1?
(a) At the gypsy's home.
(b) In the field with his sheep.
(c) At the house of the merchant's daughter.
(d) On a bench in the plaza.
2. What does the old man says that conspires to see that people really get what they want?
(c) The Universe.
3. How many times has Santiago had the dream about the child?
4. What does Santiago offer to build for the crystal merchant?
(a) A place to keep sheep.
(b) New crystals.
(c) An outside display case.
(d) A tea stand.
5. What are the names of the stones Santiago carries in Part 2?
(a) Urim and Omen.
(b) Urim and Thummim.
(c) Omen and Gypsy.
(d) Gypsy and Thummim.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Englishman say the alchemist is able to live so long?
2. Where is Santiago transported in his dreams?
3. What does Santiago want to do with the money he earns by working for a merchant?
4. Where does Santiago's father think he will end up after he has seen the world in his travels?
5. What payment does the individual Santiago visits in Part 1 demand for the service she provided him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the old man advise Santiago to follow?
2. At the beginning of Part 2, why is Santiago annoyed?
3. After Santiago gives one-tenth of his sheep to the old man, what happens to the remainder of his flock?
4. What is the outcome of the display case Santiago builds in Part 3?
5. Why did Santiago's parents send him to study at the seminary?
6. How does Santiago travel to the Egyptian pyramids after leaving the crystal merchant's shop?
7. Why doesn't Santiago buy a ticket to the Egyptian pyramids?
8. At the beginning of the book, how long has it been since Santiago saw the merchant's daughter?
9. How much money has Santiago earned by the time he is ready to leave the crystal merchant's shop?
10. Who are the only people that Santiago's father say are able to travel?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)