|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About how long does it take to determine if the object Santiago makes the crystal merchant is a big success?
(a) Within four months.
(b) Within six months.
(c) Within two months.
(d) Within a month.
2. What fear does the crystal merchant have about Santiago's second suggestion of how to improve his business?
(b) People will get sick.
(c) He will have to expand his business.
(d) He will be unable to make what Santiago suggests.
3. What does the boy in Part 2 tell Santiago he must buy in order to travel?
(a) Two stones.
(b) A ticket on the boat.
(c) Two camels.
(d) Two crystals.
4. What does Santiago do in Part 2 after he realizes his money is gone?
(a) He stows away on a boat to Africa.
(b) He goes home.
(c) He chases the boy.
(d) He cries.
5. What makes Santiago realize in Part 2 that he is the only one keeping himself from traveling?
(a) The gypsy.
(b) His sheep.
(c) The wind.
(d) The old man.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the crystal merchant take awhile to decide whether or not to allow Santiago to make the object Santiago offered to make?
2. At what age did Santiago study Spanish and Latin?
3. What does the Englishman say it is called when people are engaged in an activity with all of their heart?
4. Where does Santiago get three ancient Spanish gold coins?
5. Who visits Santiago in his dreams?
Short Essay Questions
1. In regard to traveling, what is Santiago's father sure?
2. How does the crystal merchant feel about Santiago leaving?
3. What does the old man advise Santiago to follow?
4. What does the old man confirm after Santiago has sold his flock?
5. What does Santiago decide in Part 2 is holding him back from reaching his destiny?
6. What does Santiago learn to listen to as he travels with the caravan?
7. In Part 2, what intensifies as Santiago debates whether to stay with his flock or continue on to Egypt?
8. What does the boy about his own age offer to help Santiago with?
9. Why doesn't Santiago buy a ticket to the Egyptian pyramids?
10. In Part 1, what does Santiago anticipate explaining to the merchant's daughter?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)