Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does the crystal merchant say it would take Santiago to earn the amount of money needed to go to Egypt?
(a) One month.
(b) More than two years.
(c) One day.
(d) More than a year.
2. While sleeping on the stone floor in Part 1, who does Santiago think about?
(a) The Egyptian pyramids.
(b) The alchemist.
(c) The gypsy.
(d) The merchant's daughter.
3. Where is Santiago transported in his dreams?
(a) The castle of the king.
(b) The gypsy's home.
(c) The Egyptian pyramids.
4. How large is the caravan Santiago is on in Part 3?
(a) Hundreds of people only.
(b) Hundreds of people and animals.
(c) Dozens of people and animals.
(d) Thousands of people and animals.
5. What comforts Santiago after he is taken advantage of in Part 2?
(a) The two stones.
(b) His book.
(c) The gypsy.
(d) The beautiful girl.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Santiago meet the old man in Part 1?
2. What does Santiago decide in Part 1 that he will no longer believe?
3. What alone will not suffice, according to the Englishman, to make it across the desert?
4. What does the Englishman in Part 3 believe in that Santiago also believes?
5. What animal makes up Santiago's flock?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the beginning of Part 2, why is Santiago annoyed?
2. What does Santiago conclude after he awakes from his silent meditation in Part 7?
3. What does Santiago see in his father's eyes?
4. What does the crystal merchant tell Santiago he is obligated to do as a Muslim?
5. What does it mean when Santiago tells the Englishman that all the teachings in his books could be "written on the surface of an emerald?"
6. Why does the Alchemist warn Santiago to be cautious when making his predictions?
7. How does the Englishman feel about Santiago's comments about learning the universal language?
8. In Part 1, what does Santiago anticipate explaining to the merchant's daughter?
9. What does the Alchemist say needs to happen in order for them to realize their destiny?
10. Why doesn't Santiago buy a ticket to the Egyptian pyramids?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)