|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what building does Santiago spend the night before heading into the village to meet the merchant's daughter?
(a) An abandoned church.
(b) The church where he learned the seminary skills.
(c) A gypsy's caravan.
(d) The merchant's store.
2. Which of the following characters does not meet with Santiago during Part 1 of the novel?
(a) The gypsy.
(b) Santiago's father.
(c) The alchemist.
(d) The king.
3. How much of his flock does Santiago give to the old man?
4. What does Santiago think the object he offered to build the crystal merchant will do?
(a) Double the size of his shop.
(b) Cool off the shop.
(c) Attract more customers.
(d) Provide better displaying of the crystal.
5. What does Santiago do upon waking in Part 2, after being robbed?
(a) Looks for the old man.
(b) Helps a merchant assemble his stall.
(c) Searches for the other boy.
(d) Tries to find money to buy a new ticket to Africa.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times has Santiago had the dream about the child?
2. According to the crystal merchant, where are Muslims obligated to visit?
3. How old is the alchemist supposed to be?
4. What does the Englishman want the alchemist to teach him?
5. What is Santiago's first job on his journey?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 1, what does Santiago anticipate explaining to the merchant's daughter?
2. What does the old man advise Santiago to follow?
3. How does the crystal merchant feel about Santiago leaving?
4. How does Santiago travel to the Egyptian pyramids after leaving the crystal merchant's shop?
5. What does Santiago reflect upon in Part 1 regarding to the sheep?
6. How does Santiago think in Part 2 he can get the money to buy a ticket to Africa?
7. Who are the only people that Santiago's father say are able to travel?
8. What advice does Santiago's father share with him after Santiago describes his dream to travel and see the world?
9. On what does the crystal merchant need to reflect before he decides?
10. What does the crystal merchant tell Santiago he is obligated to do as a Muslim?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)