|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What demand does the king have if Santiago is serious about learning more about his hidden treasure?
(a) One half of his treasure.
(b) One tenth of his treasure.
(c) One half of his flock.
(d) One tenth of his flock.
2. How old is the alchemist supposed to be?
(a) 200 years old.
(b) 300 years old.
(c) 90 years old.
(d) 100 years old.
3. What does Santiago want to do with the money he earns by working for a merchant?
(a) Go to Egypt.
(b) Go home and work for his father.
(c) Buy a new flock of sheep.
(d) Start his own crystal shop.
4. What is Santiago's first job on his journey?
(a) Cleaning windows.
(b) Cleaning up after camels.
(c) Selling tickets.
(d) Creating crystals.
5. What regular job does Santiago eventually acquire in Part 2?
(a) Running errands.
(b) Washing windows.
(c) Cleaning the crystal.
(d) Making crystals.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does the crystal merchant say it would take Santiago to earn the amount of money needed to go to Egypt?
2. How large is the caravan Santiago is on in Part 3?
3. What does the Englishman say it is called when people are engaged in an activity with all of their heart?
4. About how long does it take to determine if the object Santiago makes the crystal merchant is a big success?
5. What does the Englishman want the alchemist to teach him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice does Santiago's father share with him after Santiago describes his dream to travel and see the world?
2. How does Santiago earn money from the crystal merchant?
3. What does Santiago reflect upon in Part 1 regarding to the sheep?
4. Who are the only people that Santiago's father say are able to travel?
5. In Part 2, what intensifies as Santiago debates whether to stay with his flock or continue on to Egypt?
6. What does Santiago see in his father's eyes?
7. Why did Santiago's parents send him to study at the seminary?
8. Why doesn't Santiago buy a ticket to the Egyptian pyramids?
9. How does Santiago spend his time before he falls asleep on the old abandoned church floor?
10. How does Santiago travel to the Egyptian pyramids after leaving the crystal merchant's shop?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)