|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What about Santiago does he think will surprise the merchant's daughter when he gets to the village?
(a) The fact that he can read.
(b) The fact that he is a shepherd.
(c) The fact that he wants to become a priest.
(d) The fact that he can speak Latin and Greek.
2. Where does Santiago sleep after being robbed?
(a) In the fields with his sheep.
(b) The marketplace.
(c) The boat.
(d) At the old man's house.
3. What about his discussion with the old man annoys Santiago in Part 2?
(a) The old man was right.
(b) The old man didn't give him any useful information.
(c) The old man did not give him money.
(d) The old man was wrong.
4. How old is the alchemist supposed to be?
(a) 200 years old.
(b) 100 years old.
(c) 90 years old.
(d) 300 years old.
5. What does the individual who Santiago visits in Part 1 before going to see the merchant's daughter do for him?
(a) Reads the bumps on his head.
(b) Interprets his dreams.
(c) Reads his palm.
(d) Tells his fortune.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the caravan traveling in Part 3?
2. What warning does the caravan leader give to Santiago and the others?
3. In what building does Santiago spend the night before heading into the village to meet the merchant's daughter?
4. What is there increasing talk about throughout the caravan?
5. What is the Englishman in Part 3 looking for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the principle of favorability create according to the old man?
2. What does Santiago see in his father's eyes?
3. In Part 2, what intensifies as Santiago debates whether to stay with his flock or continue on to Egypt?
4. What does the old man confirm after Santiago has sold his flock?
5. In Part 1, what does Santiago anticipate explaining to the merchant's daughter?
6. Why doesn't Santiago buy a ticket to the Egyptian pyramids?
7. In regard to traveling, what is Santiago's father sure?
8. At the beginning of the book, how long has it been since Santiago saw the merchant's daughter?
9. How much money has Santiago earned by the time he is ready to leave the crystal merchant's shop?
10. How does Santiago travel to the Egyptian pyramids after leaving the crystal merchant's shop?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)