|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who rides to join the caravan periodically and warns of dangers ahead?
2. What does the Englishman say it is called when people are engaged in an activity with all of their heart?
(a) Heart of the soul.
(b) Heart of the world.
(c) Soul of the world.
(d) Soul of the heart.
3. What ultimately happens to the money Santiago had from selling his flock?
(a) He loses it and cannot find it.
(b) It is stolen by the boy.
(c) It is stolen by the old man.
(d) He gives it to the crystal maker.
4. Where does Santiago get three ancient Spanish gold coins?
(a) From the field.
(b) From his mother.
(c) From his father.
(d) From the gypsy.
5. Where does Santiago sleep after being robbed?
(a) In the fields with his sheep.
(b) The boat.
(c) At the old man's house.
(d) The marketplace.
Short Answer Questions
1. The first time Santiago approaches the ticket window, what does he leave with?
2. What alone will not suffice, according to the Englishman, to make it across the desert?
3. Where is Santiago transported in his dreams?
4. Where does Santiago meet the old man in Part 1?
5. How many golden coins does Santiago's father find in the field?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the only people that Santiago's father say are able to travel?
2. How does the crystal merchant feel about Santiago leaving?
3. Why doesn't Santiago buy a ticket to the Egyptian pyramids?
4. What does Santiago see in his father's eyes?
5. Why is Santiago disappointed in the gypsy's reading?
6. What does the old man confirm after Santiago has sold his flock?
7. On what does the crystal merchant need to reflect before he decides?
8. What does the crystal merchant tell Santiago he is obligated to do as a Muslim?
9. Why did Santiago's parents send him to study at the seminary?
10. At the beginning of the book, how long has it been since Santiago saw the merchant's daughter?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)