|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tacitus criticized the Germans' agriculture calendar because of what?
2. Why did Agricola's mother discourage him from studying philosophy?
3. What was an obligation of a follower to a German chief in addition to protecting him?
4. How do present historians know about British kings of the past?
5. How did Tacitus distinguish some tribes as German and not Sarmations?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Agricola" is a "portrait of a career," according to Mattingly. How is this appropriate as a biography for both the writer Tacitus and the subject Agricola?
Essay Topic 2
Despite Tacitus' claimed that Germans seemed pure without intermarriages of other cultures, how did his work "The Germania" show otherwise. What evidence shows mixture of culture, habit, morals, ethics, and beliefs?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Agricola's relationship with each of the emperors he served under.
This section contains 245 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)