|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who were the only ones allowed to decide on capital punishment, imprisonment, and flogging?
2. How did Tacitus distinguish some tribes as German and not Sarmations?
3. What weakness did Germans have that according to Tacitus made them easily defeated?
4. What did Tacitus claim was the purpose of "baritus"?
5. How were the Germans' squadrons grouped?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Despite Tacitus' claimed that Germans seemed pure without intermarriages of other cultures, how did his work "The Germania" show otherwise. What evidence shows mixture of culture, habit, morals, ethics, and beliefs?
Essay Topic 2
Mattingly suggested Germania might have had a small influence in the Nazi effort of bringing back a pure race. What evidence in "The Germania" could support this theory?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the state of cultural morals between Germany and the Roman Empire, such as the morals of loyalty to an emperor or king, the commitment of marriage, the bond between a parent and child, etc.
This section contains 233 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)