|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who were the only ones allowed to decide on capital punishment, imprisonment, and flogging?
2. Who were the first to be known as Germani?
3. Tacitus criticized the Germans' agriculture calendar because of what?
4. Modern knowledge shows what about Tacitus' account of German dress?
5. What physical attributes did Tacitus describe in the German people?
Essay Topic 1
"The Agricola" is a "portrait of a career," according to Mattingly. How is this appropriate as a biography for both the writer Tacitus and the subject Agricola?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how religion played a role in German culture. How was it involved in their history, their belief of human origin, warfare, etc.?
Essay Topic 3
Mattingly suggested Germania might have had a small influence in the Nazi effort of bringing back a pure race. What evidence in "The Germania" could support this theory?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)