|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What weakness did Germans have that according to Tacitus made them easily defeated?
2. In addition to omens in a bird's flight, what other ways did Germans read omens and warnings?
3. What event caused such a great financial loss to the state that Agricola had to rectify it?
4. Of all the German tribes, which held the greatest in number?
5. How do present historians know about British kings of the past?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What did Tacitus fail to detail when telling the biography of Agricola's surroundings and environment? Was this intentional or a reflection of his faults as a writer? Provide areas where he could have given more detail and how it would help the biography.
Essay Topic 2
"The Agricola" is a "portrait of a career," according to Mattingly. How is this appropriate as a biography for both the writer Tacitus and the subject Agricola?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Tacitus' outlook of Germany and Britain to the present outlook of Germany and Britain. How have the countries changed or stayed the same?
This section contains 232 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)