|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What special privilege did the Hermundui have in the Roman Empire?
2. Tacitus believed the earth was what shape?
3. What were the Germans' choice of arms?
4. What did Tacitus claim was the purpose of "baritus"?
5. What was an obligation of a follower to a German chief in addition to protecting him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Agricola" is a "portrait of a career," according to Mattingly. How is this appropriate as a biography for both the writer Tacitus and the subject Agricola?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the German tribes. How were each culturally the same or different? What were some factors that lend to the similarities and differences?
Essay Topic 3
What did Tacitus fail to detail when telling the biography of Agricola's surroundings and environment? Was this intentional or a reflection of his faults as a writer? Provide areas where he could have given more detail and how it would help the biography.
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)