|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tacitus criticized the Germans' agriculture calendar because of what?
2. Tacitus believed the earth was what shape?
3. In German culture, what did undergarments indicate?
4. What custom did Chatti boys assume until they showed their worth of birth?
5. Why did Agricola's mother discourage him from studying philosophy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how religion played a role in German culture. How was it involved in their history, their belief of human origin, warfare, etc.?
Essay Topic 2
How did Tacitus feel about the Roman Empire? What shows this? Did he agree with conquests and campaigns or was he in disagreement with the Roman way of life?
Essay Topic 3
What must a reader be aware of when reading a non-fictional history book such as "The Agricola" and "The Germania"? How does this awareness help the reader detect bias and judgment from primary sources? How can this help the reader be a better historian when researching a subject? The students can use Mattingly as an example.
This section contains 258 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)