|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Tacitus' relationship to Agricola?
2. Mattingly observes what defect in Tactitus' writings?
3. Tacitus claimed the British military's strength was in __________.
4. Which German tribe(s) invaded Italy in 113 B.C.?
5. When Cerealis became the British governor, how did Agricola prove himself to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Tacitus compare the living arrangements of the Germans to the Romans?
2. Close to getting a German province, Tacitus believed what caused Rome from procuring strongholds?
3. How did Tacitus feel about the prime of his life in the Empire?
4. How did Agricola use surprise to attack Anglesey?
5. Compare Britain's geographical location according to Tacitus' knowledge and to how it is known today.
6. How did Tacitus describe slavery in Germany?
7. Why did Tacitus believe it was unlikely the Germans were immigrants from elsewhere?
8. How did the Roman profiteers take advantage of the British natives?
9. What were some hints in "The Agricola" that showed Tacitus' true feelings about Domitian?
10. "The Germania" is the study of what in particular? Why was Tacitus so concerned?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mattingly suggested Germania might have had a small influence in the Nazi effort of bringing back a pure race. What evidence in "The Germania" could support this theory?
Essay Topic 2
As a historian, write how well Tacitus described the German peoples, culture, land, climate, etc. Did he do well with detail, impartiality, etc.? Provide evidence from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Describe how religion played a role in German culture. How was it involved in their history, their belief of human origin, warfare, etc.?
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)