|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to a Caledonian, what kept the Gauls and Germans under Roman rule?
2. How do modern historians identify Agricola's permanent forts?
3. Tacitus claimed Domitian was ridiculed by the people for what reason?
4. What lesson from others' experience did Agricola consider when he was victorious in battles?
5. How was Agricola's death received in general?
Short Essay Questions
1. Tacitus described marriage in German cultures. According to his description, what were common gifts between a man and woman that were to be married? What did the gifts symbolized?
2. What did Agricola give to Domitian in his will? How was it received by Domitian as Tacitus believed it?
3. "The Germania" is the study of what in particular? Why was Tacitus so concerned?
4. How did Tacitus believe Rome's first encounter with Germans occurred?
5. How did Tacitus describe Britain when Agricola was first stationed there?
6. What are some of Mattingly's criticisms of Tacitus' works as a historian?
7. When Claudius conquered parts of Britain, describe the way the British accepted this turn in history as Tacitus saw it.
8. Between "The Agricola" and "The Germania," what seemed most significant to Tacitus? What common underlying theme was observed in both books?
9. Looking at the lineage of emperors, what did Tacitus notice in regards to choosing an emperor?
10. Write a brief summary of the common plan that biographies, such as "The Agricola" follows.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some ways Roman culture influenced the Germans? What are some ways the Germans influenced the Romans and its people?
Essay Topic 2
Despite Tacitus' claimed that Germans seemed pure without intermarriages of other cultures, how did his work "The Germania" show otherwise. What evidence shows mixture of culture, habit, morals, ethics, and beliefs?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how religion played a role in German culture. How was it involved in their history, their belief of human origin, warfare, etc.?
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)