|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tacitus noted that the Germans felt which way about gold and silver?
2. What did Agricola not live to see?
3. How did Augustus handle the Germans?
4. Where did Agricola primarily spend his time in the military?
5. Despite a quiet retirement, why did many ask Agricola to return to duty?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Tacitus wrote about Agricola's role as a military apprentice under Suetonius Paulinus.
2. How did Tacitus commend Agricola's utilization of his armies during peacetime? What did Agricola do during peacetime?
3. How did Tacitus believe Rome's first encounter with Germans occurred?
4. "The Germania" is the study of what in particular? Why was Tacitus so concerned?
5. Why did Tacitus believe it was unlikely the Germans were immigrants from elsewhere?
6. How did Tacitus compare the German tribes' religious beliefs to each other and to the Romans?
7. Who were Titus and Domitian and what was their relationship to the Roman Empire?
8. Close to getting a German province, Tacitus believed what caused Rome from procuring strongholds?
9. What did Tacitus intend to write in his old age, but why was it never written?
10. Between "The Agricola" and "The Germania," what seemed most significant to Tacitus? What common underlying theme was observed in both books?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As a historian, write how well Tacitus described the German peoples, culture, land, climate, etc. Did he do well with detail, impartiality, etc.? Provide evidence from the book.
Essay Topic 2
How did Tacitus feel about the Roman Empire? What shows this? Did he agree with conquests and campaigns or was he in disagreement with the Roman way of life?
Essay Topic 3
How is "The Agricola" a significant biography for British history?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)