Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Between which years were Agricola's campaigns in Britain?
2. What style of writing did Tacitus follow?
3. What benefit was there for Agricola when he married Domitia Decidiana?
4. What did Agricola not live to see?
5. What undertone does Mattingly suggest is written in "The Agricola"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What about Agricola 's military strategy and career was criticized by Tacitus?
2. How did Tacitus compare the living arrangements of the Germans to the Romans?
3. When Galba undertook Roman rule, how did Tacitus describe Germany's reaction? What did this indicate about Germany's relationship with Rome?
4. Close to getting a German province, Tacitus believed what caused Rome from procuring strongholds?
5. What was Tacitus' theory of why the sun did not set in northern Britain?
6. Describe reasons why the British believed "peacetime" under Roman rule was equivalent to slavery.
7. Tacitus wrote "The Hundred" was what significance to Germany?
8. Looking at the lineage of emperors, what did Tacitus notice in regards to choosing an emperor?
9. How did Tacitus show bits of Roman life in "The Germania?"
10. How did Tacitus believe Rome's first encounter with Germans occurred?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the German tribes. How were each culturally the same or different? What were some factors that lend to the similarities and differences?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the strengths of Britain that helped them resist and eventually drive off the Romans, and the weaknesses that allowed the Romans to rule over them for a certain period.
Essay Topic 3
What evidence in "The Agricola" shows the story was as much a eulogy as a biography?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)