|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was one way a non-native established Roman citizenship?
2. Why did Tacitus feel the need to apologize for his life?
3. What was Tacitus' relationship to Agricola?
4. How did Domitian receive news of Agricola's successes?
5. How did Agricola's successes become so famous?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the promotion to patrician by Vespasian help Agricola? Tacitus believed Agricola strove for what in his career?
2. How did Tacitus feel about the prime of his life in the Empire?
3. When Claudius conquered parts of Britain, describe the way the British accepted this turn in history as Tacitus saw it.
4. Between "The Agricola" and "The Germania," what seemed most significant to Tacitus? What common underlying theme was observed in both books?
5. Who were Titus and Domitian and what was their relationship to the Roman Empire?
6. "The Germania" is the study of what in particular? Why was Tacitus so concerned?
7. Describe the Germans judicial system as Tacitus understood it.
8. What did Tacitus claim in regards to Agricola's death? What was the motivation and evidence behind the claim?
9. Why did Tacitus believe it was unlikely the Germans were immigrants from elsewhere?
10. How did Agricola use surprise to attack Anglesey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the state of cultural morals between Germany and the Roman Empire, such as the morals of loyalty to an emperor or king, the commitment of marriage, the bond between a parent and child, etc.
Essay Topic 2
Describe how religion played a role in German culture. How was it involved in their history, their belief of human origin, warfare, etc.?
Essay Topic 3
How is "The Agricola" a significant biography for British history?
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)