|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Agricola's reaction to the first attack under his consul?
2. Before Tacitus' time, a person who wrote an autobiography was considered to be__________.
3. Who helped Nerva bring the praetorian guards to obedience?
4. What rumor was spread after Agricola's death?
5. What was Agricola best known for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Looking at the lineage of emperors, what did Tacitus notice in regards to choosing an emperor?
2. Describe Tacitus' theories of British origin.
3. How did Tacitus feel about the prime of his life in the Empire?
4. Describe the state of the Roman army as Tacitus believed it to be in Britain during peacetime.
5. Between "The Agricola" and "The Germania," what seemed most significant to Tacitus? What common underlying theme was observed in both books?
6. Tacitus believed what was the general custom concerning the dead in Germany?
7. What characteristic did Tacitus describe in Agricola in regards to judicial duties?
8. Tacitus claimed Germans felt what way about materials such as gold and silver?
9. Tacitus wrote "The Hundred" was what significance to Germany?
10. What did Agricola give to Domitian in his will? How was it received by Domitian as Tacitus believed it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What did Tacitus fail to detail when telling the biography of Agricola's surroundings and environment? Was this intentional or a reflection of his faults as a writer? Provide areas where he could have given more detail and how it would help the biography.
Essay Topic 2
What must a reader be aware of when reading a non-fictional history book such as "The Agricola" and "The Germania"? How does this awareness help the reader detect bias and judgment from primary sources? How can this help the reader be a better historian when researching a subject? The students can use Mattingly as an example.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the strengths of Britain that helped them resist and eventually drive off the Romans, and the weaknesses that allowed the Romans to rule over them for a certain period.
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)