|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Domitian offer Agricola for his triumph?
2. Which Caledonian addressed the British men to inspire courage against the Romans?
3. The British speech Tacitus paraphrased in "The Agricola" that was used to rally against the Romans can be summed up in which statement?
4. Where did Agricola primarily spend his time in the military?
5. What benefit was there for Agricola when he married Domitia Decidiana?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare the role of women in German warfare to women in Roman warfare as Tacitus described it.
2. What are some ways historians confirm Tacitus' account of Germany?
3. How did Tacitus describe Agricola's tactic to gain the British tribes' submission?
4. Looking at the lineage of emperors, what did Tacitus notice in regards to choosing an emperor?
5. What evidence does Mattingly suggest shows Agricola likely took a route to cross the river Annan?
6. How did the promotion to patrician by Vespasian help Agricola? Tacitus believed Agricola strove for what in his career?
7. Who was Cartimandua and how was she significant in British and Roman history?
8. Tacitus claimed Germans felt what way about materials such as gold and silver?
9. Write a brief summary of the common plan that biographies, such as "The Agricola" follows.
10. Describe how Tacitus wrote about Agricola's role as a military apprentice under Suetonius Paulinus.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the German tribes. How were each culturally the same or different? What were some factors that lend to the similarities and differences?
Essay Topic 2
How is "The Agricola" a significant biography for British history?
Essay Topic 3
Despite Tacitus' claimed that Germans seemed pure without intermarriages of other cultures, how did his work "The Germania" show otherwise. What evidence shows mixture of culture, habit, morals, ethics, and beliefs?
This section contains 1,380 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)