|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What rumor was spread after Agricola's death?
2. According to a Caledonian, what kept the Gauls and Germans under Roman rule?
3. What memorable adventure happened to the Usipi?
4. Between which years was Tacitus alive?
5. What was Agricola's reaction to the first attack under his consul?
Short Essay Questions
1. What about Agricola 's military strategy and career was criticized by Tacitus?
2. What did Tacitus claim in regards to Agricola's death? What was the motivation and evidence behind the claim?
3. Describe the Germans judicial system as Tacitus understood it.
4. Describe the role and power of a Roman emperor as described by Tacitus.
5. "The Germania" is the study of what in particular? Why was Tacitus so concerned?
6. How did Tacitus show bits of Roman life in "The Germania?"
7. Looking at the lineage of emperors, what did Tacitus notice in regards to choosing an emperor?
8. How did Tacitus describe Fenni life and how they reached a state of contentment that was far from Roman life?
9. Between "The Agricola" and "The Germania," what seemed most significant to Tacitus? What common underlying theme was observed in both books?
10. What was Tacitus' theory of why the sun did not set in northern Britain?
Essay Topic 1
What evidence in "The Agricola" shows the story was as much a eulogy as a biography?
Essay Topic 2
"The Agricola" is a "portrait of a career," according to Mattingly. How is this appropriate as a biography for both the writer Tacitus and the subject Agricola?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the German tribes. How were each culturally the same or different? What were some factors that lend to the similarities and differences?
This section contains 1,590 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)