Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Augustus handle the Germans?
2. According to Mattingly, what belief lies in "The Agricola"?
3. Which Roman ruler was the first to try to conquer Britain?
4. Which German tribe(s) invaded Italy in 113 B.C.?
5. The invasion of Italy by the Germans was __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Tacitus claimed Germans felt what way about materials such as gold and silver?
2. Why did Tacitus believe it was unlikely the Germans were immigrants from elsewhere?
3. When Galba undertook Roman rule, how did Tacitus describe Germany's reaction? What did this indicate about Germany's relationship with Rome?
4. What characteristic did Tacitus describe in Agricola in regards to judicial duties?
5. What evidence does Mattingly suggest shows Agricola likely took a route to cross the river Annan?
6. Tacitus believed what was the general custom concerning the dead in Germany?
7. How did the Roman profiteers take advantage of the British natives?
8. What are some ways historians confirm Tacitus' account of Germany?
9. What did Agricola give to Domitian in his will? How was it received by Domitian as Tacitus believed it?
10. Who were Titus and Domitian and what was their relationship to the Roman Empire?
Compare and contrast the German tribes. How were each culturally the same or different? What were some factors that lend to the similarities and differences?
Describe the strengths of Britain that helped them resist and eventually drive off the Romans, and the weaknesses that allowed the Romans to rule over them for a certain period.
Compare Tacitus' outlook of Germany and Britain to the present outlook of Germany and Britain. How have the countries changed or stayed the same?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)