|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mattingly, what was most important to Tacitus in his life?
2. Tacitus claimed the British military's strength was in __________.
3. What style of writing did Tacitus follow?
4. What was the outcome when the British launched a night attack on the 9th legion?
5. What was Rome's knowledge of Britain during Tacitus' lifetime?
Short Essay Questions
1. Tacitus claimed Roman forces were able to defeat Germans after their first encounter due to what?
2. What did Tacitus claim in regards to Agricola's death? What was the motivation and evidence behind the claim?
3. How did Tacitus believe Rome's first encounter with Germans occurred?
4. Describe how Tacitus wrote about Agricola's role as a military apprentice under Suetonius Paulinus.
5. Write a brief summary of the common plan that biographies, such as "The Agricola" follows.
6. How did the Roman Empire begin with Julius Caesar?
7. Who was Cartimandua and how was she significant in British and Roman history?
8. How did Tacitus commend Agricola's utilization of his armies during peacetime? What did Agricola do during peacetime?
9. How did Agricola use surprise to attack Anglesey?
10. What are some of Mattingly's criticisms of Tacitus' works as a historian?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how religion played a role in German culture. How was it involved in their history, their belief of human origin, warfare, etc.?
Essay Topic 2
As a historian, write how well Tacitus described the German peoples, culture, land, climate, etc. Did he do well with detail, impartiality, etc.? Provide evidence from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Compare the state of cultural morals between Germany and the Roman Empire, such as the morals of loyalty to an emperor or king, the commitment of marriage, the bond between a parent and child, etc.
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)