|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Maroboduus, the Marcomannic king?
2. What was Agricola's reaction to the first attack under his consul?
3. The British speech Tacitus paraphrased in "The Agricola" that was used to rally against the Romans can be summed up in which statement?
4. How did Tacitus handle his political position under an emperor?
5. What would help a defendant of a crime if Agricola was the judge of punishment?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Tacitus' theories of British origin.
2. Tacitus believed what was the general custom concerning the dead in Germany?
3. Write a brief summary of the common plan that biographies, such as "The Agricola" follows.
4. How did the promotion to patrician by Vespasian help Agricola? Tacitus believed Agricola strove for what in his career?
5. What were some false beliefs Tacitus had about Britain?
6. How did Tacitus describe slavery in Germany?
7. Close to getting a German province, Tacitus believed what caused Rome from procuring strongholds?
8. What did Tacitus claim in regards to Agricola's death? What was the motivation and evidence behind the claim?
9. Describe reasons why the British believed "peacetime" under Roman rule was equivalent to slavery.
10. How did Tacitus describe Fenni life and how they reached a state of contentment that was far from Roman life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Tacitus feel about the Roman Empire? What shows this? Did he agree with conquests and campaigns or was he in disagreement with the Roman way of life?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Tacitus' outlook of Germany and Britain to the present outlook of Germany and Britain. How have the countries changed or stayed the same?
Essay Topic 3
What evidence in "The Agricola" shows the story was as much a eulogy as a biography?
This section contains 1,475 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)