|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What style of writing did Tacitus follow?
2. Who was finally able to restore Roman prestige after years of cruel emperors?
3. Agricola called on whose help to equalize the sword fighting skills of the British?
4. The invasion of Italy by the Germans was __________.
5. How was Agricola's death received in general?
Short Essay Questions
1. Looking at the lineage of emperors, what did Tacitus notice in regards to choosing an emperor?
2. Tacitus claimed Roman forces were able to defeat Germans after their first encounter due to what?
3. Describe how Tacitus wrote about Agricola's role as a military apprentice under Suetonius Paulinus.
4. Write a brief summary of the common plan that biographies, such as "The Agricola" follows.
5. What evidence does Mattingly suggest shows Agricola likely took a route to cross the river Annan?
6. What about Agricola 's military strategy and career was criticized by Tacitus?
7. Describe the Germans judicial system as Tacitus understood it.
8. How did Tacitus commend Agricola's utilization of his armies during peacetime? What did Agricola do during peacetime?
9. Tacitus wrote "The Hundred" was what significance to Germany?
10. Tacitus felt what factors caused turmoil in the Roman Republic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some ways Roman culture influenced the Germans? What are some ways the Germans influenced the Romans and its people?
Essay Topic 2
What did Tacitus fail to detail when telling the biography of Agricola's surroundings and environment? Was this intentional or a reflection of his faults as a writer? Provide areas where he could have given more detail and how it would help the biography.
Essay Topic 3
As a historian, write how well Tacitus described the German peoples, culture, land, climate, etc. Did he do well with detail, impartiality, etc.? Provide evidence from the book.
This section contains 1,381 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)