|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Despite a quiet retirement, why did many ask Agricola to return to duty?
2. The invasion of Italy by the Germans was __________.
3. What undertone does Mattingly suggest is written in "The Agricola"?
4. Where did Rome tend to enact its rules?
5. What benefit was there for Agricola when he married Domitia Decidiana?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Claudius conquered parts of Britain, describe the way the British accepted this turn in history as Tacitus saw it.
2. What did Tacitus claim in regards to Agricola's death? What was the motivation and evidence behind the claim?
3. Tacitus believed what was the general custom concerning the dead in Germany?
4. How did the Roman Empire begin with Julius Caesar?
5. How did Tacitus commend Agricola's utilization of his armies during peacetime? What did Agricola do during peacetime?
6. How was the "Clyde and Forth" both good for the British and the Romans?
7. What did Agricola give to Domitian in his will? How was it received by Domitian as Tacitus believed it?
8. What did "civilization" mean to Tacitus?
9. Write a brief summary of the common plan that biographies, such as "The Agricola" follows.
10. What characteristic did Tacitus describe in Agricola in regards to judicial duties?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is "The Agricola" a significant biography for British history?
Essay Topic 2
According to Tacitus, how had storytelling changed over generations?
Essay Topic 3
"The Agricola" is a "portrait of a career," according to Mattingly. How is this appropriate as a biography for both the writer Tacitus and the subject Agricola?
This section contains 1,511 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)