|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rome's first attempt to conquer Britain can be described as __________.
2. Tacitus believed the Germans loved what the most?
3. For what reason would the Romans not bother to conquer a country?
4. What lesson from others' experience did Agricola consider when he was victorious in battles?
5. What happened to the emperor of Rome?
Short Essay Questions
1. Tacitus described marriage in German cultures. According to his description, what were common gifts between a man and woman that were to be married? What did the gifts symbolized?
2. Close to getting a German province, Tacitus believed what caused Rome from procuring strongholds?
3. Who was Cartimandua and how was she significant in British and Roman history?
4. Tacitus believed what was the general custom concerning the dead in Germany?
5. Tacitus wrote "The Hundred" was what significance to Germany?
6. What were some false beliefs Tacitus had about Britain?
7. What characteristic did Tacitus describe in Agricola in regards to judicial duties?
8. What does Mattingly claim about German gods and the American calendar system?
9. Why did Tacitus believe it was unlikely the Germans were immigrants from elsewhere?
10. What about Agricola 's military strategy and career was criticized by Tacitus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Tacitus feel about the Roman Empire? What shows this? Did he agree with conquests and campaigns or was he in disagreement with the Roman way of life?
Essay Topic 2
According to Tacitus, how had storytelling changed over generations?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the state of cultural morals between Germany and the Roman Empire, such as the morals of loyalty to an emperor or king, the commitment of marriage, the bond between a parent and child, etc.
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)