|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Tacitus, Agricola felt it was more "honourable to __________ than to hate."
2. Tacitus believed the Germans loved what the most?
3. When Cerealis became the British governor, how did Agricola prove himself to him?
4. What was Augustus's goal as a Roman leader?
5. Mattingly states all of the following are "characteristic weaknesses" of ancient Germans EXCEPT what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Tacitus show bits of Roman life in "The Germania?"
2. How did Tacitus compare the living arrangements of the Germans to the Romans?
3. How did Tacitus describe Fenni life and how they reached a state of contentment that was far from Roman life?
4. What did Tacitus claim in regards to Agricola's death? What was the motivation and evidence behind the claim?
5. How did the Roman Empire begin with Julius Caesar?
6. What are some ways historians confirm Tacitus' account of Germany?
7. Describe Tacitus' theories of British origin.
8. What characteristic did Tacitus describe in Agricola in regards to judicial duties?
9. Compare the role of women in German warfare to women in Roman warfare as Tacitus described it.
10. When Galba undertook Roman rule, how did Tacitus describe Germany's reaction? What did this indicate about Germany's relationship with Rome?
Essay Topic 1
What did Tacitus fail to detail when telling the biography of Agricola's surroundings and environment? Was this intentional or a reflection of his faults as a writer? Provide areas where he could have given more detail and how it would help the biography.
Essay Topic 2
What must a reader be aware of when reading a non-fictional history book such as "The Agricola" and "The Germania"? How does this awareness help the reader detect bias and judgment from primary sources? How can this help the reader be a better historian when researching a subject? The students can use Mattingly as an example.
Essay Topic 3
Describe how religion played a role in German culture. How was it involved in their history, their belief of human origin, warfare, etc.?
This section contains 1,457 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)