|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of the following, what was more resented by the people than tax?
2. What did Tacitus falsely believe Britain had that was worth conquering?
3. What style of writing did Tacitus follow?
4. Where did Rome tend to enact its rules?
5. What did Domitian offer Agricola for his triumph?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Tacitus believe Rome's first encounter with Germans occurred?
2. What does Mattingly claim about German gods and the American calendar system?
3. Tacitus claimed Germans felt what way about materials such as gold and silver?
4. How did Tacitus compare the German tribes' religious beliefs to each other and to the Romans?
5. Describe reasons why the British believed "peacetime" under Roman rule was equivalent to slavery.
6. Who were Titus and Domitian and what was their relationship to the Roman Empire?
7. Describe how Tacitus wrote about Agricola's role as a military apprentice under Suetonius Paulinus.
8. Compare the role of women in German warfare to women in Roman warfare as Tacitus described it.
9. What was Tacitus' theory of why the sun did not set in northern Britain?
10. What are some ways historians confirm Tacitus' account of Germany?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Tacitus feel about the Roman Empire? What shows this? Did he agree with conquests and campaigns or was he in disagreement with the Roman way of life?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the strengths of Britain that helped them resist and eventually drive off the Romans, and the weaknesses that allowed the Romans to rule over them for a certain period.
Essay Topic 3
Compare Tacitus' outlook of Germany and Britain to the present outlook of Germany and Britain. How have the countries changed or stayed the same?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)