|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During Agricola's praetorship, his responsibility of public games can be described as __________.
2. Mattingly believes Tacitus underrated what about Rome and Germany's relationship?
3. How did the public feel about Agricola's role in Britain?
4. As stated by Mattingly, how does Tacitus compare to other historians of his age in regards to his writings about Germany?
5. How did Agricola take advantage of his first victory?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Tacitus feel about the prime of his life in the Empire?
2. How did Tacitus believe Rome's first encounter with Germans occurred?
3. How did the promotion to patrician by Vespasian help Agricola? Tacitus believed Agricola strove for what in his career?
4. How did Agricola use surprise to attack Anglesey?
5. How did Tacitus compare the living arrangements of the Germans to the Romans?
6. How was the "Clyde and Forth" both good for the British and the Romans?
7. Who were Titus and Domitian and what was their relationship to the Roman Empire?
8. Tacitus wrote "The Hundred" was what significance to Germany?
9. What did Tacitus claim in regards to Agricola's death? What was the motivation and evidence behind the claim?
10. How did Tacitus compare the German tribes' religious beliefs to each other and to the Romans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mattingly suggested Germania might have had a small influence in the Nazi effort of bringing back a pure race. What evidence in "The Germania" could support this theory?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how religion played a role in German culture. How was it involved in their history, their belief of human origin, warfare, etc.?
Essay Topic 3
Tacitus was a senator under various rulers, both good and bad. What challenges were there and how did he deal with them? What were some possible reasons he reacted the way he did? Provide examples from the book.
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)