|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mattingly suggests modern Germany thinks of "The Germania" in what way?
2. Mattingly states all of the following are "characteristic weaknesses" of ancient Germans EXCEPT what?
3. Tacitus summed up Agricola's features as __________.
4. What did Domitian offer Agricola for his triumph?
5. What was the outcome when the British launched a night attack on the 9th legion?
Short Essay Questions
1. What evidence does Mattingly suggest shows Agricola likely took a route to cross the river Annan?
2. Compare the role of women in German warfare to women in Roman warfare as Tacitus described it.
3. Tacitus claimed Germans felt what way about materials such as gold and silver?
4. "The Germania" is the study of what in particular? Why was Tacitus so concerned?
5. Describe the state of the Roman army as Tacitus believed it to be in Britain during peacetime.
6. Tacitus felt what factors caused turmoil in the Roman Republic?
7. How did Tacitus believe Rome's first encounter with Germans occurred?
8. How was the "Clyde and Forth" both good for the British and the Romans?
9. Describe the role and power of a Roman emperor as described by Tacitus.
10. Tacitus described marriage in German cultures. According to his description, what were common gifts between a man and woman that were to be married? What did the gifts symbolized?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Tacitus feel about the Roman Empire? What shows this? Did he agree with conquests and campaigns or was he in disagreement with the Roman way of life?
Essay Topic 2
What are some ways Roman culture influenced the Germans? What are some ways the Germans influenced the Romans and its people?
Essay Topic 3
What did Tacitus fail to detail when telling the biography of Agricola's surroundings and environment? Was this intentional or a reflection of his faults as a writer? Provide areas where he could have given more detail and how it would help the biography.
This section contains 1,043 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)