|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was one way a non-native established Roman citizenship?
2. What happened to Britain's hold after Agricola left?
3. Tired of Roman rule, under whom did the British unit to revolt while Paulinus was in Britain?
4. Mattingly states all of the following are "characteristic weaknesses" of ancient Germans EXCEPT what?
5. Mattingly suggests modern Germany thinks of "The Germania" in what way?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Agricola give to Domitian in his will? How was it received by Domitian as Tacitus believed it?
2. What does Mattingly claim about German gods and the American calendar system?
3. Describe the state of the Roman army as Tacitus believed it to be in Britain during peacetime.
4. How did Tacitus show bits of Roman life in "The Germania?"
5. Tacitus claimed Roman forces were able to defeat Germans after their first encounter due to what?
6. How did Tacitus describe Fenni life and how they reached a state of contentment that was far from Roman life?
7. What about Agricola 's military strategy and career was criticized by Tacitus?
8. Tacitus believed what was the general custom concerning the dead in Germany?
9. What are some ways historians confirm Tacitus' account of Germany?
10. Describe the Germans judicial system as Tacitus understood it.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Tacitus' outlook of Germany and Britain to the present outlook of Germany and Britain. How have the countries changed or stayed the same?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the strengths of Britain that helped them resist and eventually drive off the Romans, and the weaknesses that allowed the Romans to rule over them for a certain period.
Essay Topic 3
How is "The Agricola" a significant biography for British history?
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)