|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to a Caledonian, what kept the Gauls and Germans under Roman rule?
2. How did Agricola's successes become so famous?
3. According to Mattingly, what seems to be missing from Tacitus' accounts of Britain?
4. During Agricola's praetorship, his responsibility of public games can be described as __________.
5. What political harmony did Tacitus wish to see in the Roman Republic?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Germans judicial system as Tacitus understood it.
2. What were some false beliefs Tacitus had about Britain?
3. Why did Tacitus provide so much British history in "The Agricola?"
4. Tacitus claimed Germans felt what way about materials such as gold and silver?
5. Tacitus felt what factors caused turmoil in the Roman Republic?
6. Compare the role of women in German warfare to women in Roman warfare as Tacitus described it.
7. Describe Tacitus' theories of British origin.
8. Who were Titus and Domitian and what was their relationship to the Roman Empire?
9. Describe the role and power of a Roman emperor as described by Tacitus.
10. Tacitus claimed Roman forces were able to defeat Germans after their first encounter due to what?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the German tribes. How were each culturally the same or different? What were some factors that lend to the similarities and differences?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the state of cultural morals between Germany and the Roman Empire, such as the morals of loyalty to an emperor or king, the commitment of marriage, the bond between a parent and child, etc.
Essay Topic 3
Describe how religion played a role in German culture. How was it involved in their history, their belief of human origin, warfare, etc.?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)