|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Agricola returned to Rome, why did he intentionally return at night?
2. Mattingly believes Tacitus underrated what about Rome and Germany's relationship?
3. What major characteristic did Tacitus note about the seas around Britain?
4. What did Tacitus deny existed in Germany?
5. Why did Tacitus provide so much British history in "The Agricola"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe reasons why the British believed "peacetime" under Roman rule was equivalent to slavery.
2. How did Tacitus compare the living arrangements of the Germans to the Romans?
3. What was Tacitus' theory of why the sun did not set in northern Britain?
4. How did the promotion to patrician by Vespasian help Agricola? Tacitus believed Agricola strove for what in his career?
5. Why did Tacitus provide so much British history in "The Agricola?"
6. What evidence does Mattingly suggest shows Agricola likely took a route to cross the river Annan?
7. What did Tacitus intend to write in his old age, but why was it never written?
8. How did Tacitus believe Rome's first encounter with Germans occurred?
9. How did the Roman profiteers take advantage of the British natives?
10. What did Tacitus claim in regards to Agricola's death? What was the motivation and evidence behind the claim?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Despite Tacitus' claimed that Germans seemed pure without intermarriages of other cultures, how did his work "The Germania" show otherwise. What evidence shows mixture of culture, habit, morals, ethics, and beliefs?
Essay Topic 2Describe how religion played a role in German culture. How was it involved in their history, their belief of human origin, warfare, etc.?
Essay Topic 3What evidence in "The Agricola" shows the story was as much a eulogy as a biography?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)