|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of the following, what was most upsetting for Tacitus in regards to Agricola's death?
2. Tacitus believed the Germans loved what the most?
3. How did Tacitus handle his political position under an emperor?
4. The beginning years of British conquest can be described as __________.
5. When Agricola returned to Rome, why did he intentionally return at night?
Short Essay Questions
1. Tacitus claimed Germans felt what way about materials such as gold and silver?
2. Close to getting a German province, Tacitus believed what caused Rome from procuring strongholds?
3. Tacitus felt what factors caused turmoil in the Roman Republic?
4. Compare the role of women in German warfare to women in Roman warfare as Tacitus described it.
5. Why did Tacitus believe it was unlikely the Germans were immigrants from elsewhere?
6. How did Tacitus feel about the prime of his life in the Empire?
7. What are some of Mattingly's criticisms of Tacitus' works as a historian?
8. What did Tacitus intend to write in his old age, but why was it never written?
9. Tacitus claimed Roman forces were able to defeat Germans after their first encounter due to what?
10. What were some false beliefs Tacitus had about Britain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What did Tacitus fail to detail when telling the biography of Agricola's surroundings and environment? Was this intentional or a reflection of his faults as a writer? Provide areas where he could have given more detail and how it would help the biography.
Essay Topic 2
Describe how religion played a role in German culture. How was it involved in their history, their belief of human origin, warfare, etc.?
Essay Topic 3
Mattingly suggested Germania might have had a small influence in the Nazi effort of bringing back a pure race. What evidence in "The Germania" could support this theory?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)