|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Rome tend to enact its rules?
2. Between which years were Agricola's campaigns in Britain?
3. Tacitus claimed the British military's strength was in __________.
4. What did Domitian offer Agricola for his triumph?
5. As stated by Mattingly, how does Tacitus compare to other historians of his age in regards to his writings about Germany?
Short Essay Questions
1. Tacitus claimed Germans felt what way about materials such as gold and silver?
2. What evidence does Mattingly suggest shows Agricola likely took a route to cross the river Annan?
3. Tacitus believed what was the general custom concerning the dead in Germany?
4. Compare the role of women in German warfare to women in Roman warfare as Tacitus described it.
5. How did Tacitus feel about the prime of his life in the Empire?
6. Describe the Germans judicial system as Tacitus understood it.
7. How did Tacitus compare the living arrangements of the Germans to the Romans?
8. Describe the role and power of a Roman emperor as described by Tacitus.
9. Tacitus felt what factors caused turmoil in the Roman Republic?
10. When Claudius conquered parts of Britain, describe the way the British accepted this turn in history as Tacitus saw it.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some ways Roman culture influenced the Germans? What are some ways the Germans influenced the Romans and its people?
Essay Topic 2
What was the agenda of "The Germania?" Provide examples and evidence of theory of what Tacitus wanted the reader to know.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Agricola's relationship with each of the emperors he served under.
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)