|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As stated by Mattingly, how does Tacitus compare to other historians of his age in regards to his writings about Germany?
2. Tacitus noted that the Germans felt which way about gold and silver?
3. Rome's first attempt to conquer Britain can be described as __________.
4. The invasion of Italy by the Germans was __________.
5. How was Agricola's death received in general?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Agricola use surprise to attack Anglesey?
2. How did Tacitus compare the living arrangements of the Germans to the Romans?
3. How did Tacitus compare the German tribes' religious beliefs to each other and to the Romans?
4. How did Tacitus describe Fenni life and how they reached a state of contentment that was far from Roman life?
5. Describe Tacitus' theories of British origin.
6. What does Mattingly claim about German gods and the American calendar system?
7. How did Tacitus commend Agricola's utilization of his armies during peacetime? What did Agricola do during peacetime?
8. When Galba undertook Roman rule, how did Tacitus describe Germany's reaction? What did this indicate about Germany's relationship with Rome?
9. What were some hints in "The Agricola" that showed Tacitus' true feelings about Domitian?
10. When Claudius conquered parts of Britain, describe the way the British accepted this turn in history as Tacitus saw it.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the strengths of Britain that helped them resist and eventually drive off the Romans, and the weaknesses that allowed the Romans to rule over them for a certain period.
Essay Topic 2
Describe how religion played a role in German culture. How was it involved in their history, their belief of human origin, warfare, etc.?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Tacitus' outlook of Germany and Britain to the present outlook of Germany and Britain. How have the countries changed or stayed the same?
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)