|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Notes, Bibliography, and Glossary.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the Introduction, Mattingly claims the Germans needed what if they were to ever reach maturity?
(a) A united kingdom.
(b) Roman discipline.
(c) A fierce ruler.
(d) Power over drinking.
2. Why did Tacitus provide so much British history in "The Agricola"?
(a) It compared how much Agricola did for the Empire.
(b) It was a warning to the Roman Empire of their dangerous presence.
(c) It showed how the Roman Empire improved British lives.
(d) It showed how British history influenced Roman culture.
3. The beginning years of British conquest can be described as __________.
(a) The Romans fighting against a brick wall with no arms.
(b) A slow but progressive campaign by the Romans.
(c) A swing of victories between both parties.
(d) A rollover of the British isle by the Romans.
4. In addition to omens in a bird's flight, what other ways did Germans read omens and warnings?
(a) Listening to special horses.
(b) In a sheep's cry.
(c) From cattle manure.
(d) Via tea leaves.
5. Where did Rome tend to enact its rules?
(a) Amongst the impoverished rural areas.
(b) They were unsuccessful in doing so.
(c) In the cities and money classes.
(d) In the conquered colonies.
Short Answer Questions
1. How were officials chosen for provinces?
2. According to Mattingly, what seems to be missing from Tacitus' accounts of Britain?
3. Who were under Roman rule but was not subjected to taxes and used only for war purposes?
4. What was Rome's knowledge of Britain during Tacitus' lifetime?
5. What generally separated the ancient Germans from other peoples?
This section contains 318 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)