|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Notes, Bibliography, and Glossary.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Tacitus claim was the purpose of "baritus"?
(a) To show appreciation for a well-done victory.
(b) To impress a female with a handsome song.
(c) To unite valour before battle.
(d) To challenge the enemy to a battle from afar.
2. As stated by Mattingly, how does Tacitus compare to other historians of his age in regards to his writings about Germany?
(a) One of the best.
(b) He was highly appreciated during his time but less so in the present.
(c) Not appreciated during his time but after his death.
3. What was Rome's knowledge of Britain during Tacitus' lifetime?
(a) Nothing more than there were peoples there.
(b) Occasional accounts until Agricola arrived and campaigned.
(c) They believed Britain was part of Spain.
(d) Complete exploration and knowledge due to Julius Caesar.
4. How did Augustus handle the Germans?
(a) He advanced to the Elbe.
(b) He ignored their presence and concentrated on Britain.
(c) He advanced over the Rhine.
(d) He kept them at the Rhine.
5. What rumor was spread after Agricola's death?
(a) He was poisoned.
(b) His triumphs were shams.
(c) He commited suicide.
(d) He never fought in a battle.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rome's first attempt to conquer Britain can be described as __________.
2. The invasion of Italy by the Germans was __________.
3. Who were the first to be known as Germani?
4. When Agricola returned to Rome, why did he intentionally return at night?
5. What was Augustus's goal as a Roman leader?
This section contains 293 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)