|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Notes, Bibliography, and Glossary.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What memorable adventure happened to the Usipi?
(a) They ran into the Fenni and were almost eaten by them.
(b) They had the best victory over Roman legions in history.
(c) They almost drowned in stormy seas off the coast of Britain.
(d) They sailed around North Britain, starved and were mistaken as pirates.
2. Why did Tacitus feel the need to apologize for his life?
(a) He was a Senator during tyranny.
(b) He failed to be as great as Agricola.
(c) He failed to prevent Agricola's poisoning.
(d) He lacked in military success.
3. What was one way a non-native established Roman citizenship?
(a) Worked in the emperor's household.
(b) Enlisted in the army.
(c) Gave useful military information.
(d) Became a slave for seven years.
4. What was Rome's knowledge of Britain during Tacitus' lifetime?
(a) They believed Britain was part of Spain.
(b) Nothing more than there were peoples there.
(c) Complete exploration and knowledge due to Julius Caesar.
(d) Occasional accounts until Agricola arrived and campaigned.
5. What other country did Agricola want to conquer in order to surround Britain?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Agricola best known for?
2. According to Tacitus, Agricola felt it was more "honourable to __________ than to hate."
3. Tacitus claimed Domitian was ridiculed by the people for what reason?
4. Mattingly states all of the following are "characteristic weaknesses" of ancient Germans EXCEPT what?
5. Of all the German tribes, which held the greatest in number?
This section contains 277 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)