|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Notes, Bibliography, and Glossary.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tacitus criticized the Germans' agriculture calendar because of what?
(a) They used the lunar calendar.
(b) They only had two seasons.
(c) They could not grow wheat.
(d) They did not consider autumn.
2. According to Tacitus, Agricola felt it was more "honourable to __________ than to hate."
(b) Be loyal.
3. What was Tacitus' relationship to Agricola?
(a) He was Agricola's son-in-law.
(b) He was Agricola's son.
(c) He was Agricola's military right hand man.
(d) They had no direct relationship.
4. A toga for a Roman youth was equivalent to what for a German youth?
(a) A horse and spear.
(b) A shield and spear.
(c) A chainmail.
(d) An axe and helmet.
5. "The Germania" is believed to come from a single manuscript written in what century?
(a) Early 16th century.
(b) Early 6th century.
(c) 100 A.D.
(d) 9th century.
Short Answer Questions
1. What special privilege did the Hermundui have in the Roman Empire?
2. Mattingly states all of the following are "characteristic weaknesses" of ancient Germans EXCEPT what?
3. Tacitus claimed the British military's strength was in __________.
4. How were officials chosen for provinces?
5. According to a Caledonian, what kept the Gauls and Germans under Roman rule?
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)