|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Notes, Bibliography, and Glossary.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Agricola's mother discourage him from studying philosophy?
(a) It "ate the mind."
(b) It was too pretentious.
(c) It was a poor man's study.
(d) It was too inactive.
2. Of the following, which title did Tacitus never hold?
3. What was one of the most shameful acts a German soldier could do?
(a) Cut his hair.
(b) Die before his first kill.
(c) Kill a woman or child.
(d) Throw away his shield.
4. What was an obligation of a follower to a German chief in addition to protecting him?
(a) Protect the chief's family as well.
(b) Let the chief have the follower's credit of heroism.
(c) Give a portion of his spoils to the chief after a pillage.
(d) Let the chief have his daughter in marriage.
5. Before Tacitus' time, a person who wrote an autobiography was considered to be__________.
(a) Not worth reading about.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mattingly believes Tacitus underrated what about Rome and Germany's relationship?
2. The Chatti showed steady courage in warfare through what?
3. How did the public feel about Agricola's role in Britain?
4. Who got to voice their opinions in major affairs in German tribes?
5. In addition to omens in a bird's flight, what other ways did Germans read omens and warnings?
This section contains 312 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)