|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Agricola.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mattingly suggests modern Germany thinks of "The Germania" in what way?
(a) As an unofficial work without real evidence.
(b) As fictitious.
(c) As a patriotic piece.
(d) As wrong and banned from the schools.
2. Of the following, what was most upsetting for Tacitus in regards to Agricola's death?
(a) Agricola did not get to meet his grandchildren.
(b) Agricola suffered a long and painful death.
(c) He could not be with Agricola in his time of death.
(d) No one was able to find the true murderer.
3. Tacitus credited whom for Roman successes?
(a) The Roman people.
(b) The enemies for their own faults.
(c) The great line of emperors.
(d) The governors of the provinces.
4. How was Agricola's death received in general?
(a) Many did not notice.
(b) Domitian disallowed grievance over Agricola.
(c) It seemed to concern everyone.
(d) The enemies celebrated.
5. What political harmony did Tacitus wish to see in the Roman Republic?
(a) The Roman Empire and the German tribes.
(b) The Senate and the Praetorian Guards.
(c) Harmony between the Emperor and Senate.
(d) Autocracy and freedom.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mattingly, what was most important to Tacitus in his life?
2. Before Tacitus' time, a person who wrote an autobiography was considered to be__________.
3. Between which years were Agricola's campaigns in Britain?
4. In the Introduction, Mattingly claims the Germans needed what if they were to ever reach maturity?
5. According to Tacitus, Agricola felt it was more "honourable to __________ than to hate."
This section contains 273 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)