|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Agricola.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As stated by Mattingly, how does Tacitus compare to other historians of his age in regards to his writings about Germany?
(b) Not appreciated during his time but after his death.
(c) He was highly appreciated during his time but less so in the present.
(d) One of the best.
2. How do modern historians identify Agricola's permanent forts?
(a) By Trajan's detailed accounts.
(b) Through archaelogical excavation.
(c) By Mattingly's history research.
(d) By Tacitus' detailed accounts.
3. What political harmony did Tacitus wish to see in the Roman Republic?
(a) The Senate and the Praetorian Guards.
(b) Harmony between the Emperor and Senate.
(c) The Roman Empire and the German tribes.
(d) Autocracy and freedom.
4. What memorable adventure happened to the Usipi?
(a) They ran into the Fenni and were almost eaten by them.
(b) They sailed around North Britain, starved and were mistaken as pirates.
(c) They almost drowned in stormy seas off the coast of Britain.
(d) They had the best victory over Roman legions in history.
5. Mattingly suggests modern Germany thinks of "The Germania" in what way?
(a) As an unofficial work without real evidence.
(b) As a patriotic piece.
(c) As wrong and banned from the schools.
(d) As fictitious.
Short Answer Questions
1. What lesson from others' experience did Agricola consider when he was victorious in battles?
2. What was Tacitus' relationship to Agricola?
3. Where did Rome tend to enact its rules?
4. In the Introduction, Mattingly claims the Germans needed what if they were to ever reach maturity?
5. What benefit was there for Agricola when he married Domitia Decidiana?
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)