|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Agricola.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Agricola called on whose help to equalize the sword fighting skills of the British?
(a) The Batavians and Tungrians.
(b) The Gauls.
(c) The Praetorian Guards.
(d) The cavalry.
2. How did Agricola's father get Gaius the emperor angry at him?
(a) He was famous and succeeded in life.
(b) He attempted murder on one of his favorite Senators.
(c) He defied orders and campaigned past the Rhine.
(d) He defied orders and refused to conquer Britain.
3. Where did Rome tend to enact its rules?
(a) They were unsuccessful in doing so.
(b) Amongst the impoverished rural areas.
(c) In the cities and money classes.
(d) In the conquered colonies.
4. What happened to Britain's hold after Agricola left?
(a) Everything won had been lost.
(b) There was a steady weakening of Roman hold.
(c) Little change occurred.
(d) Many forts were abandoned.
5. What major characteristic did Tacitus note about the seas around Britain?
(a) They had a large expanse of tidal currents.
(b) They were easy to sail and row through.
(c) They rushed to the ends of the earth.
(d) The width between Britain and Spain was not as far as assumed.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the public feel about Agricola's role in Britain?
2. What rumor was spread after Agricola's death?
3. The British speech Tacitus paraphrased in "The Agricola" that was used to rally against the Romans can be summed up in which statement?
4. According to Mattingly, what seems to be missing from Tacitus' accounts of Britain?
5. According to a Caledonian, what kept the Gauls and Germans under Roman rule?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)