|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Agricola.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As stated by Mattingly, how does Tacitus compare to other historians of his age in regards to his writings about Germany?
(a) He was highly appreciated during his time but less so in the present.
(b) Not appreciated during his time but after his death.
(c) One of the best.
2. Mattingly suggests modern Germany thinks of "The Germania" in what way?
(a) As wrong and banned from the schools.
(b) As fictitious.
(c) As an unofficial work without real evidence.
(d) As a patriotic piece.
3. What was Rome's knowledge of Britain during Tacitus' lifetime?
(a) Occasional accounts until Agricola arrived and campaigned.
(b) Nothing more than there were peoples there.
(c) They believed Britain was part of Spain.
(d) Complete exploration and knowledge due to Julius Caesar.
4. Tacitus claimed Domitian was ridiculed by the people for what reason?
(a) A fake triumph in Germany.
(b) His wife commited adultery.
(c) A fake triumph in Britain.
(d) His son was a coward in battle.
5. What was the outcome when the British launched a night attack on the 9th legion?
(a) The British succeeded and brought the momentum into future battles.
(b) The 9th legion lost many and got incorporated into Agricola's legion.
(c) Despite the surprise, the sheer number outweighed the British and the 9th legion won.
(d) Agricola followed and attacked the British from the rear.
Short Answer Questions
1. What style of writing did Tacitus follow?
2. When Cerealis became the British governor, how did Agricola prove himself to him?
3. Tacitus noted that the Germans felt which way about gold and silver?
4. What lesson from others' experience did Agricola consider when he was victorious in battles?
5. How did Agricola take advantage of his first victory?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)