|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Agricola.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During Agricola's praetorship, his responsibility of public games can be described as __________.
(a) Strictly prohibitive.
(c) A happy medium.
(d) Too sparse in public opinion.
2. According to Mattingly, what seems to be missing from Tacitus' accounts of Britain?
(a) Agricola's role in the isle.
(b) Its culture.
(c) Its climate.
(d) Its geography.
3. How did Agricola's father get Gaius the emperor angry at him?
(a) He defied orders and refused to conquer Britain.
(b) He defied orders and campaigned past the Rhine.
(c) He attempted murder on one of his favorite Senators.
(d) He was famous and succeeded in life.
4. Who was ruling the Roman Empire when Gallic tribes revolted against Rome and proclaimed their own empire?
5. Rome's first attempt to conquer Britain can be described as __________.
(a) A failure.
(b) The beginning of colonialism.
(c) An easy success.
(d) The end of Celtic culture.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mattingly states all of the following are "characteristic weaknesses" of ancient Germans EXCEPT what?
2. What did Tacitus deny existed in Germany?
3. Tacitus claimed Domitian was ridiculed by the people for what reason?
4. The British speech Tacitus paraphrased in "The Agricola" that was used to rally against the Romans can be summed up in which statement?
5. What undertone does Mattingly suggest is written in "The Agricola"?
This section contains 293 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)