|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Introduction.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was finally able to restore Roman prestige after years of cruel emperors?
2. Why did Rome want to conquer Britain?
(a) For their knowledge of arms.
(b) For revenge.
(c) For their gold and silver.
(d) Purely for victory over more lands.
3. Where did Agricola primarily spend his time in the military?
4. How did Tacitus handle his political position under an emperor?
(a) Believed in whatever the emperor believed in.
(b) Followed loyally, despite his own feelings.
(c) Usually manipulated the officials of the emperor to take his stance.
(d) Unwavering with his own stance.
5. As stated by Mattingly, how does Tacitus compare to other historians of his age in regards to his writings about Germany?
(b) Not appreciated during his time but after his death.
(c) He was highly appreciated during his time but less so in the present.
(d) One of the best.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of the following, which power did the Roman emperor NOT possess?
2. Mattingly observes what defect in Tactitus' writings?
3. How did Augustus handle the Germans?
4. Tacitus noted that __________ were often confused with Germans by the "civilized."
5. How did Agricola's successes become so famous?
This section contains 264 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)