|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Introduction.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How were officials chosen for provinces?
(a) By the praetorian guards.
(b) By the people.
(c) The emperor chose for all provinces.
(d) The Senate chose for peaceful provinces and the emperor for restless ones.
2. Why was so interested in German culture that he wrote about it?
(a) He believed Germans had much to offer Roman civilization.
(b) He believed Germans would make great slaves.
(c) He believed Germans were a constant threat.
(d) He believed Germans were desecendants from the same gods.
3. How do modern historians identify Agricola's permanent forts?
(a) By Mattingly's history research.
(b) By Tacitus' detailed accounts.
(c) By Trajan's detailed accounts.
(d) Through archaelogical excavation.
4. As stated by Mattingly, how does Tacitus compare to other historians of his age in regards to his writings about Germany?
(b) Not appreciated during his time but after his death.
(c) One of the best.
(d) He was highly appreciated during his time but less so in the present.
5. Who was finally able to restore Roman prestige after years of cruel emperors?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Tacitus handle his political position under an emperor?
2. Of the following, which power did the Roman emperor NOT possess?
3. Tacitus noted that the Germans felt which way about gold and silver?
4. What happened to the emperor of Rome?
5. What style of writing did Tacitus follow?
This section contains 308 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)