|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Introduction.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the Introduction, Mattingly claims the Germans needed what if they were to ever reach maturity?
(a) Roman discipline.
(b) A fierce ruler.
(c) Power over drinking.
(d) A united kingdom.
2. Mattingly suggests modern Germany thinks of "The Germania" in what way?
(a) As a patriotic piece.
(b) As an unofficial work without real evidence.
(c) As fictitious.
(d) As wrong and banned from the schools.
3. Mattingly states all of the following are "characteristic weaknesses" of ancient Germans EXCEPT what?
(d) Passion for war.
4. Why did Rome want to conquer Britain?
(a) For revenge.
(b) For their knowledge of arms.
(c) Purely for victory over more lands.
(d) For their gold and silver.
5. Of the following, which title did Tacitus never hold?
Short Answer Questions
1. The beginning years of British conquest can be described as __________.
2. How was Arminius received at home after his win over Quintillius?
3. What did Tacitus deny existed in Germany?
4. According to Mattingly, what seems to be missing from Tacitus' accounts of Britain?
5. With which ruler did Agricola have the most tense relationship?
This section contains 251 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)