|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Introduction.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Mattingly, what seems to be missing from Tacitus' accounts of Britain?
(a) Agricola's role in the isle.
(b) Its climate.
(c) Its culture.
(d) Its geography.
2. Mattingly suggests modern Germany thinks of "The Germania" in what way?
(a) As an unofficial work without real evidence.
(b) As a patriotic piece.
(c) As fictitious.
(d) As wrong and banned from the schools.
3. What happened to Britain's hold after Agricola left?
(a) Little change occurred.
(b) There was a steady weakening of Roman hold.
(c) Many forts were abandoned.
(d) Everything won had been lost.
4. Of the following, which power did the Roman emperor NOT possess?
(a) Ability to recall elections.
(b) Initiate legislation.
(c) Power of censorship.
(d) Military command.
5. How do modern historians identify Agricola's permanent forts?
(a) By Tacitus' detailed accounts.
(b) By Mattingly's history research.
(c) Through archaelogical excavation.
(d) By Trajan's detailed accounts.
Short Answer Questions
1. With which ruler did Agricola have the most tense relationship?
2. Which Roman ruler was the first to try to conquer Britain?
3. Why was so interested in German culture that he wrote about it?
4. The invasion of Italy by the Germans was __________.
5. How were officials chosen for provinces?
This section contains 248 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)