|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Introduction.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mattingly observes what defect in Tactitus' writings?
(b) Carelessness in proper names and dates.
(c) Carelessness in geography and military history.
(d) Exaggeration of stories.
2. What happened to the emperor of Rome?
(a) Understood the significance of the Senate during his reign.
(c) Killed in battle.
(d) Died in old age.
3. Why did Tacitus feel the need to apologize for his life?
(a) He lacked in military success.
(b) He was a Senator during tyranny.
(c) He failed to prevent Agricola's poisoning.
(d) He failed to be as great as Agricola.
4. Where did Rome tend to enact its rules?
(a) In the cities and money classes.
(b) Amongst the impoverished rural areas.
(c) In the conquered colonies.
(d) They were unsuccessful in doing so.
5. How was Arminius received at home after his win over Quintillius?
(a) He was paraded around.
(b) He was killed by his enemies that were his own countrymen.
(c) He was neither celebrated nor thought of.
(d) They looked upon him suspiciously of the truth.
Short Answer Questions
1. Between which years was Tacitus alive?
2. What was Tacitus' relationship to Agricola?
3. According to Mattingly, what was most important to Tacitus in his life?
4. What was Agricola best known for?
5. As stated by Mattingly, how does Tacitus compare to other historians of his age in regards to his writings about Germany?
This section contains 289 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)