|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Introduction.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What undertone does Mattingly suggest is written in "The Agricola"?
(a) The Roman Empire should never have tried to conquer Germany.
(b) Agricola single-handedly conquered Britain.
(c) The emperor is too egocentric to see the Empire's weaknesses.
(d) A political tone of moderation.
2. In the Introduction, Mattingly claims the Germans needed what if they were to ever reach maturity?
(a) Roman discipline.
(b) A fierce ruler.
(c) A united kingdom.
(d) Power over drinking.
3. Mattingly suggests modern Germany thinks of "The Germania" in what way?
(a) As fictitious.
(b) As a patriotic piece.
(c) As wrong and banned from the schools.
(d) As an unofficial work without real evidence.
4. What was Agricola best known for?
(a) His oratory skills.
(b) His diplomatic skills.
(c) His ability to execute a surprise attack.
(d) His tactics and forts.
5. What style of writing did Tacitus follow?
(a) Brief and poetic.
(d) Stream of conscious.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Rome's knowledge of Britain during Tacitus' lifetime?
2. Between which years were Agricola's campaigns in Britain?
3. Who was finally able to restore Roman prestige after years of cruel emperors?
4. How did Agricola's successes become so famous?
5. Which Roman ruler was the first to try to conquer Britain?
This section contains 257 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)