|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Introduction.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Mattingly, what belief lies in "The Agricola"?
(a) Roman destiny.
(b) Pure races.
(d) The origin of white man's burden.
2. Where did Rome tend to enact its rules?
(a) Amongst the impoverished rural areas.
(b) They were unsuccessful in doing so.
(c) In the conquered colonies.
(d) In the cities and money classes.
3. Tacitus noted that __________ were often confused with Germans by the "civilized."
(a) The Spaniards.
(b) The Gauls.
(c) The Osi.
(d) The Celtics.
4. Why did Tacitus provide so much British history in "The Agricola"?
(a) It compared how much Agricola did for the Empire.
(b) It showed how the Roman Empire improved British lives.
(c) It showed how British history influenced Roman culture.
(d) It was a warning to the Roman Empire of their dangerous presence.
5. How did Augustus handle the Germans?
(a) He advanced to the Elbe.
(b) He kept them at the Rhine.
(c) He advanced over the Rhine.
(d) He ignored their presence and concentrated on Britain.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mattingly, what seems to be missing from Tacitus' accounts of Britain?
2. Mattingly observes what defect in Tactitus' writings?
3. What did Tacitus deny existed in Germany?
4. What was Rome's knowledge of Britain during Tacitus' lifetime?
5. According to Mattingly, what was most important to Tacitus in his life?
This section contains 265 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)