|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Introduction.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Tacitus feel the need to apologize for his life?
(a) He lacked in military success.
(b) He was a Senator during tyranny.
(c) He failed to prevent Agricola's poisoning.
(d) He failed to be as great as Agricola.
2. Why did Rome want to conquer Britain?
(a) For revenge.
(b) For their knowledge of arms.
(c) Purely for victory over more lands.
(d) For their gold and silver.
3. Which German tribe(s) invaded Italy in 113 B.C.?
(b) Cimbri and Teutoni.
4. How were officials chosen for provinces?
(a) The emperor chose for all provinces.
(b) By the praetorian guards.
(c) By the people.
(d) The Senate chose for peaceful provinces and the emperor for restless ones.
5. According to Mattingly, what was most important to Tacitus in his life?
(a) His mother.
(b) His career.
(c) The reigning emperor.
(d) His family.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mattingly observes what defect in Tactitus' writings?
2. Who helped Nerva bring the praetorian guards to obedience?
3. Mattingly suggests modern Germany thinks of "The Germania" in what way?
4. Rome's first attempt to conquer Britain can be described as __________.
5. What happened to Britain's hold after Agricola left?
This section contains 247 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)