|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Introduction.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As stated by Mattingly, how does Tacitus compare to other historians of his age in regards to his writings about Germany?
(a) One of the best.
(b) Not appreciated during his time but after his death.
(d) He was highly appreciated during his time but less so in the present.
2. According to Mattingly, what seems to be missing from Tacitus' accounts of Britain?
(a) Its geography.
(b) Its culture.
(c) Agricola's role in the isle.
(d) Its climate.
3. How did Agricola's successes become so famous?
(a) Through Tacitus' writings.
(b) The number of archaelogical evidence of his forts.
(c) Via Domitian's excessive praise.
(d) Trajan wrote a famous eulogy.
4. Why was so interested in German culture that he wrote about it?
(a) He believed Germans were desecendants from the same gods.
(b) He believed Germans were a constant threat.
(c) He believed Germans had much to offer Roman civilization.
(d) He believed Germans would make great slaves.
5. Who helped Nerva bring the praetorian guards to obedience?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Agricola best known for?
2. Mattingly observes what defect in Tactitus' writings?
3. Of the following, which power did the Roman emperor NOT possess?
4. Which German tribe(s) invaded Italy in 113 B.C.?
5. Which Roman ruler was the first to try to conquer Britain?
This section contains 255 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)