|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Introduction.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was finally able to restore Roman prestige after years of cruel emperors?
2. What happened to the emperor of Rome?
(a) Killed in battle.
(b) Understood the significance of the Senate during his reign.
(d) Died in old age.
3. As stated by Mattingly, how does Tacitus compare to other historians of his age in regards to his writings about Germany?
(a) Not appreciated during his time but after his death.
(b) He was highly appreciated during his time but less so in the present.
(d) One of the best.
4. Rome's first attempt to conquer Britain can be described as __________.
(a) A failure.
(b) The end of Celtic culture.
(c) An easy success.
(d) The beginning of colonialism.
5. Why did Tacitus feel the need to apologize for his life?
(a) He failed to prevent Agricola's poisoning.
(b) He lacked in military success.
(c) He failed to be as great as Agricola.
(d) He was a Senator during tyranny.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Agricola primarily spend his time in the military?
2. Which German tribe(s) invaded Italy in 113 B.C.?
3. What was Agricola best known for?
4. What style of writing did Tacitus follow?
5. Mattingly states all of the following are "characteristic weaknesses" of ancient Germans EXCEPT what?
This section contains 236 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)