|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Introduction.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was finally able to restore Roman prestige after years of cruel emperors?
2. As stated by Mattingly, how does Tacitus compare to other historians of his age in regards to his writings about Germany?
(b) He was highly appreciated during his time but less so in the present.
(c) Not appreciated during his time but after his death.
(d) One of the best.
3. Tacitus noted that the Germans felt which way about gold and silver?
(a) They had no personal taste for it.
(b) They believed gold and silver were the best metal for weaponry.
(c) They were acquired greedily by the wealthy.
(d) They used it for trade between Germans only.
4. Why did Tacitus provide so much British history in "The Agricola"?
(a) It showed how British history influenced Roman culture.
(b) It compared how much Agricola did for the Empire.
(c) It showed how the Roman Empire improved British lives.
(d) It was a warning to the Roman Empire of their dangerous presence.
5. What was Augustus's goal as a Roman leader?
(a) To overtake all of Britain and Ireland.
(b) To restore the Republic.
(c) To conquer and restore Roman honor.
(d) To extend the Roman Empire to twice its size.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mattingly observes what defect in Tactitus' writings?
2. The beginning years of British conquest can be described as __________.
3. With which ruler did Agricola have the most tense relationship?
4. According to Mattingly, what seems to be missing from Tacitus' accounts of Britain?
5. What happened to the emperor of Rome?
This section contains 322 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)