|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Introduction.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What undertone does Mattingly suggest is written in "The Agricola"?
(a) Agricola single-handedly conquered Britain.
(b) A political tone of moderation.
(c) The Roman Empire should never have tried to conquer Germany.
(d) The emperor is too egocentric to see the Empire's weaknesses.
2. How do modern historians identify Agricola's permanent forts?
(a) By Mattingly's history research.
(b) By Tacitus' detailed accounts.
(c) Through archaelogical excavation.
(d) By Trajan's detailed accounts.
3. In the Introduction, Mattingly claims the Germans needed what if they were to ever reach maturity?
(a) Roman discipline.
(b) A united kingdom.
(c) A fierce ruler.
(d) Power over drinking.
4. Where did Agricola primarily spend his time in the military?
5. How was Arminius received at home after his win over Quintillius?
(a) They looked upon him suspiciously of the truth.
(b) He was killed by his enemies that were his own countrymen.
(c) He was neither celebrated nor thought of.
(d) He was paraded around.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mattingly, what seems to be missing from Tacitus' accounts of Britain?
2. As stated by Mattingly, how does Tacitus compare to other historians of his age in regards to his writings about Germany?
3. Mattingly believes Tacitus underrated what about Rome and Germany's relationship?
4. Mattingly observes what defect in Tactitus' writings?
5. Between which years were Agricola's campaigns in Britain?
This section contains 304 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)