|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Introduction.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which Roman ruler was the first to try to conquer Britain?
(d) Julius Caesar.
2. What undertone does Mattingly suggest is written in "The Agricola"?
(a) Agricola single-handedly conquered Britain.
(b) The emperor is too egocentric to see the Empire's weaknesses.
(c) A political tone of moderation.
(d) The Roman Empire should never have tried to conquer Germany.
3. What style of writing did Tacitus follow?
(b) Stream of conscious.
(d) Brief and poetic.
4. What was Rome's knowledge of Britain during Tacitus' lifetime?
(a) Complete exploration and knowledge due to Julius Caesar.
(b) Occasional accounts until Agricola arrived and campaigned.
(c) They believed Britain was part of Spain.
(d) Nothing more than there were peoples there.
5. Why did Tacitus provide so much British history in "The Agricola"?
(a) It showed how the Roman Empire improved British lives.
(b) It was a warning to the Roman Empire of their dangerous presence.
(c) It showed how British history influenced Roman culture.
(d) It compared how much Agricola did for the Empire.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rome's first attempt to conquer Britain can be described as __________.
2. What happened to Maroboduus, the Marcomannic king?
3. What happened to Britain's hold after Agricola left?
4. How were officials chosen for provinces?
5. Tacitus believed the Germans loved what the most?
This section contains 284 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)