|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Introduction.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mattingly states all of the following are "characteristic weaknesses" of ancient Germans EXCEPT what?
(d) Passion for war.
2. What was Agricola best known for?
(a) His diplomatic skills.
(b) His ability to execute a surprise attack.
(c) His tactics and forts.
(d) His oratory skills.
3. What undertone does Mattingly suggest is written in "The Agricola"?
(a) The Roman Empire should never have tried to conquer Germany.
(b) The emperor is too egocentric to see the Empire's weaknesses.
(c) Agricola single-handedly conquered Britain.
(d) A political tone of moderation.
4. In the Introduction, Mattingly claims the Germans needed what if they were to ever reach maturity?
(a) A united kingdom.
(b) Roman discipline.
(c) A fierce ruler.
(d) Power over drinking.
5. Between which years was Tacitus alive?
(a) B.C. 50-115.
(b) A.D. 500-1115.
(c) A.D. 85-150.
(d) A.D. 50-115.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mattingly believes Tacitus underrated what about Rome and Germany's relationship?
2. According to Mattingly, what was most important to Tacitus in his life?
3. Who was finally able to restore Roman prestige after years of cruel emperors?
4. With which ruler did Agricola have the most tense relationship?
5. Mattingly suggests modern Germany thinks of "The Germania" in what way?
This section contains 251 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)