|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Introduction.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Mattingly, what was most important to Tacitus in his life?
(a) His family.
(b) His mother.
(c) His career.
(d) The reigning emperor.
2. How were officials chosen for provinces?
(a) The Senate chose for peaceful provinces and the emperor for restless ones.
(b) By the people.
(c) The emperor chose for all provinces.
(d) By the praetorian guards.
3. Rome's first attempt to conquer Britain can be described as __________.
(a) The beginning of colonialism.
(b) A failure.
(c) The end of Celtic culture.
(d) An easy success.
4. What happened to the emperor of Rome?
(a) Died in old age.
(b) Killed in battle.
(d) Understood the significance of the Senate during his reign.
5. Of the following, which power did the Roman emperor NOT possess?
(a) Military command.
(b) Initiate legislation.
(c) Ability to recall elections.
(d) Power of censorship.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Rome's knowledge of Britain during Tacitus' lifetime?
2. According to Mattingly, what seems to be missing from Tacitus' accounts of Britain?
3. How did Agricola's successes become so famous?
4. Between which years were Agricola's campaigns in Britain?
5. Mattingly suggests modern Germany thinks of "The Germania" in what way?
This section contains 266 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)