|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Introduction.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tacitus noted that the Germans felt which way about gold and silver?
(a) They were acquired greedily by the wealthy.
(b) They used it for trade between Germans only.
(c) They believed gold and silver were the best metal for weaponry.
(d) They had no personal taste for it.
2. How do modern historians identify Agricola's permanent forts?
(a) By Mattingly's history research.
(b) By Tacitus' detailed accounts.
(c) Through archaelogical excavation.
(d) By Trajan's detailed accounts.
3. How did Tacitus handle his political position under an emperor?
(a) Unwavering with his own stance.
(b) Followed loyally, despite his own feelings.
(c) Believed in whatever the emperor believed in.
(d) Usually manipulated the officials of the emperor to take his stance.
4. Why was so interested in German culture that he wrote about it?
(a) He believed Germans were desecendants from the same gods.
(b) He believed Germans would make great slaves.
(c) He believed Germans had much to offer Roman civilization.
(d) He believed Germans were a constant threat.
5. What undertone does Mattingly suggest is written in "The Agricola"?
(a) The emperor is too egocentric to see the Empire's weaknesses.
(b) Agricola single-handedly conquered Britain.
(c) A political tone of moderation.
(d) The Roman Empire should never have tried to conquer Germany.
Short Answer Questions
1. Between which years was Tacitus alive?
2. As stated by Mattingly, how does Tacitus compare to other historians of his age in regards to his writings about Germany?
3. According to Mattingly, what was most important to Tacitus in his life?
4. Which Roman ruler was the first to try to conquer Britain?
5. Tacitus believed the Germans loved what the most?
This section contains 305 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)