|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Introduction.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mattingly observes what defect in Tactitus' writings?
(b) Exaggeration of stories.
(c) Carelessness in proper names and dates.
(d) Carelessness in geography and military history.
2. What was one way a non-native established Roman citizenship?
(a) Enlisted in the army.
(b) Worked in the emperor's household.
(c) Became a slave for seven years.
(d) Gave useful military information.
3. Why was so interested in German culture that he wrote about it?
(a) He believed Germans had much to offer Roman civilization.
(b) He believed Germans were a constant threat.
(c) He believed Germans would make great slaves.
(d) He believed Germans were desecendants from the same gods.
4. Between which years were Agricola's campaigns in Britain?
(a) 53-68 A.D.
(b) 578 A.D. - 584 A.D.
(c) 2 A.D. - 7 A.D.
(d) 78-84 A.D.
5. Tacitus noted that the Germans felt which way about gold and silver?
(a) They used it for trade between Germans only.
(b) They believed gold and silver were the best metal for weaponry.
(c) They had no personal taste for it.
(d) They were acquired greedily by the wealthy.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mattingly, what was most important to Tacitus in his life?
2. How do modern historians identify Agricola's permanent forts?
3. Which German tribe(s) invaded Italy in 113 B.C.?
4. Why did Rome want to conquer Britain?
5. The invasion of Italy by the Germans was __________.
This section contains 263 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)