|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Introduction.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Rome's knowledge of Britain during Tacitus' lifetime?
(a) Complete exploration and knowledge due to Julius Caesar.
(b) They believed Britain was part of Spain.
(c) Occasional accounts until Agricola arrived and campaigned.
(d) Nothing more than there were peoples there.
2. What was Agricola best known for?
(a) His diplomatic skills.
(b) His ability to execute a surprise attack.
(c) His oratory skills.
(d) His tactics and forts.
3. What was one way a non-native established Roman citizenship?
(a) Became a slave for seven years.
(b) Enlisted in the army.
(c) Gave useful military information.
(d) Worked in the emperor's household.
4. Why did Rome want to conquer Britain?
(a) For their gold and silver.
(b) For their knowledge of arms.
(c) Purely for victory over more lands.
(d) For revenge.
5. As stated by Mattingly, how does Tacitus compare to other historians of his age in regards to his writings about Germany?
(a) One of the best.
(b) He was highly appreciated during his time but less so in the present.
(c) Not appreciated during his time but after his death.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tacitus believed the Germans loved what the most?
2. Tacitus noted that __________ were often confused with Germans by the "civilized."
3. Why did Tacitus feel the need to apologize for his life?
4. What style of writing did Tacitus follow?
5. According to Mattingly, what seems to be missing from Tacitus' accounts of Britain?
This section contains 268 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)