|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Introduction.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Rome tend to enact its rules?
(a) Amongst the impoverished rural areas.
(b) In the cities and money classes.
(c) In the conquered colonies.
(d) They were unsuccessful in doing so.
2. What was Augustus's goal as a Roman leader?
(a) To restore the Republic.
(b) To overtake all of Britain and Ireland.
(c) To conquer and restore Roman honor.
(d) To extend the Roman Empire to twice its size.
3. Tacitus believed the Germans loved what the most?
4. Of the following, which title did Tacitus never hold?
5. Why did Tacitus provide so much British history in "The Agricola"?
(a) It compared how much Agricola did for the Empire.
(b) It showed how British history influenced Roman culture.
(c) It was a warning to the Roman Empire of their dangerous presence.
(d) It showed how the Roman Empire improved British lives.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mattingly observes what defect in Tactitus' writings?
2. What style of writing did Tacitus follow?
3. As stated by Mattingly, how does Tacitus compare to other historians of his age in regards to his writings about Germany?
4. What undertone does Mattingly suggest is written in "The Agricola"?
5. Why was so interested in German culture that he wrote about it?
This section contains 306 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)