|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Introduction.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mattingly states all of the following are "characteristic weaknesses" of ancient Germans EXCEPT what?
(a) Passion for war.
2. What was Tacitus' relationship to Agricola?
(a) They had no direct relationship.
(b) He was Agricola's son-in-law.
(c) He was Agricola's military right hand man.
(d) He was Agricola's son.
3. How were officials chosen for provinces?
(a) By the people.
(b) By the praetorian guards.
(c) The Senate chose for peaceful provinces and the emperor for restless ones.
(d) The emperor chose for all provinces.
4. As stated by Mattingly, how does Tacitus compare to other historians of his age in regards to his writings about Germany?
(a) He was highly appreciated during his time but less so in the present.
(b) Not appreciated during his time but after his death.
(c) One of the best.
5. What style of writing did Tacitus follow?
(b) Brief and poetic.
(d) Stream of conscious.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tacitus believed the Germans loved what the most?
2. What was Augustus's goal as a Roman leader?
3. Which German tribe(s) invaded Italy in 113 B.C.?
4. Where did Agricola primarily spend his time in the military?
5. How was Arminius received at home after his win over Quintillius?
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)