|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Notes, Bibliography, and Glossary.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of the following, what was more resented by the people than tax?
(a) Occupation of the Roman army.
(b) The lack of citizenship.
(c) The emperor's power.
(d) Profiteering tricks.
2. What custom did Chatti boys assume until they showed their worth of birth?
(a) They worked in the home until they proved they can fight.
(b) Took their mother's name until their first war, then they were given their father's name.
(c) They continued to grow their hair until their first enemy kill.
(d) They shaved and showed no beard until they survived a battle.
3. In Agricola's third year in Britain, he focused on what in particular?
(a) Tried to leave Britain for Germany.
(b) He built forts.
(c) Granted citizenship for all of Britain.
(d) He extended the conquered land to the entire isle.
4. Agricola was brought up with an education in __________.
(a) German history.
(b) British history.
(c) Liberal arts.
(d) Martial arts.
5. What was an obligation of a follower to a German chief in addition to protecting him?
(a) Give a portion of his spoils to the chief after a pillage.
(b) Let the chief have the follower's credit of heroism.
(c) Let the chief have his daughter in marriage.
(d) Protect the chief's family as well.
Short Answer Questions
1. What undertone does Mattingly suggest is written in "The Agricola"?
2. Why did Agricola build forts to surround newly submitted British?
3. According to Mattingly, what seems to be missing from Tacitus' accounts of Britain?
4. According to Mattingly, what was most important to Tacitus in his life?
5. Why was so interested in German culture that he wrote about it?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)