|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Notes, Bibliography, and Glossary.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of the following, which power did the Roman emperor NOT possess?
(a) Military command.
(b) Initiate legislation.
(c) Power of censorship.
(d) Ability to recall elections.
2. What evidence shows Tacitus could have been wrong in claiming Domitian's triumph was a sham?
(a) Modern archaeology confirms a genuine victory.
(b) Record books show Domitian's presence in Germany.
(c) There is no evidence Domitian ever made such a claim.
(d) Another biography on Domitian states otherwise.
3. In Chapter 31, why did Mattingly believe Tacitus was mistaken in saying the Brigantes burned a Roman colony under a woman ruler?
(a) The Brigantes never had a woman leader in their history.
(b) The Romans conquered the Brigantes long before the supposed burning.
(c) The Brigantes were a peaceful people.
(d) The Brigantes actually helped the Romans and accepted their aid.
4. What major characteristic did Tacitus note about the seas around Britain?
(a) The width between Britain and Spain was not as far as assumed.
(b) They had a large expanse of tidal currents.
(c) They rushed to the ends of the earth.
(d) They were easy to sail and row through.
5. Which Caledonian addressed the British men to inspire courage against the Romans?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Agricola's mother discourage him from studying philosophy?
2. Of all the German tribes, which held the greatest in number?
3. What would help a defendant of a crime if Agricola was the judge of punishment?
4. Tacitus claimed the British military's strength was in __________.
5. Tacitus noted that __________ were often confused with Germans by the "civilized."
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)