|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Notes, Bibliography, and Glossary.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How could a German chief show prestige and power?
(a) By his possession of gold.
(b) By the beauty of his horse.
(c) In his number of kills.
(d) By his retinue.
2. What memorable adventure happened to the Usipi?
(a) They had the best victory over Roman legions in history.
(b) They ran into the Fenni and were almost eaten by them.
(c) They sailed around North Britain, starved and were mistaken as pirates.
(d) They almost drowned in stormy seas off the coast of Britain.
3. What major characteristic did Tacitus note about the seas around Britain?
(a) The width between Britain and Spain was not as far as assumed.
(b) They rushed to the ends of the earth.
(c) They had a large expanse of tidal currents.
(d) They were easy to sail and row through.
4. What lesson from others' experience did Agricola consider when he was victorious in battles?
(a) Be prepared for a possible revenge.
(b) He celebrated lavishly to show his power.
(c) Instilling fear in the enemy helped retain control.
(d) Injustice afterwards did not help the victory.
5. What special privilege did the Hermundui have in the Roman Empire?
(a) They were not taxed.
(b) They were granted citizenship.
(c) They were allowed beyond the banks to trade inland.
(d) They were considered neutral and never attacked.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do present historians know about British kings of the past?
2. Tacitus felt what lesson was the hardest to remember in philosophy?
3. When Cerealis became the British governor, how did Agricola prove himself to him?
4. How did Agricola's father get Gaius the emperor angry at him?
5. According to Mattingly, what was most important to Tacitus in his life?
This section contains 365 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)