|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Notes, Bibliography, and Glossary.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Agricola's reaction to the first attack under his consul?
(a) He asked the emperor what he should do.
(b) He went where the action was.
(c) He decided to wait and see.
(d) He sent a messenger with a surrender's note.
2. In the battle against the united British tribes on Mount Graupius, how did the number of fallen compare?
(a) 1000 British, 1000 Romans.
(b) 360 British, 10,000 Romans.
(c) 10,000 British, 360 Romans.
(d) 500 British, 300 Romans.
3. What did Tacitus credit to changing the Gaul's warlike past?
(b) Peace within Roman life.
(c) Tacitus' famous oration on peace.
(d) Their inferiority to German warriors.
4. During assembly, how did the Germans show respectful agreement?
(a) Kept silence.
(b) Clashed their weapons.
(c) Said "Ja."
(d) Nodded their heads.
5. Of the following, what was most upsetting for Tacitus in regards to Agricola's death?
(a) No one was able to find the true murderer.
(b) Agricola suffered a long and painful death.
(c) He could not be with Agricola in his time of death.
(d) Agricola did not get to meet his grandchildren.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Tacitus' relationship to Agricola?
2. "The Germania" is believed to come from a single manuscript written in what century?
3. Tacitus criticized the Germans' agriculture calendar because of what?
4. What was unique about a betrothed German couple?
5. In the Introduction, Mattingly claims the Germans needed what if they were to ever reach maturity?
This section contains 302 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)