|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Notes, Bibliography, and Glossary.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mattingly states all of the following are "characteristic weaknesses" of ancient Germans EXCEPT what?
(c) Passion for war.
2. Tacitus noted that the Germans felt which way about gold and silver?
(a) They used it for trade between Germans only.
(b) They were acquired greedily by the wealthy.
(c) They believed gold and silver were the best metal for weaponry.
(d) They had no personal taste for it.
3. What evidence shows Tacitus could have been wrong in claiming Domitian's triumph was a sham?
(a) There is no evidence Domitian ever made such a claim.
(b) Another biography on Domitian states otherwise.
(c) Record books show Domitian's presence in Germany.
(d) Modern archaeology confirms a genuine victory.
4. What did Tacitus credit to changing the Gaul's warlike past?
(a) Their inferiority to German warriors.
(c) Tacitus' famous oration on peace.
(d) Peace within Roman life.
5. According to Mattingly, what belief lies in "The Agricola"?
(b) The origin of white man's burden.
(c) Pure races.
(d) Roman destiny.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the Germans' choice of arms?
2. What was Agricola's reaction to the first attack under his consul?
3. Who got to voice their opinions in major affairs in German tribes?
4. Tacitus credited whom for Roman successes?
5. Agricola was brought up with an education in __________.
This section contains 267 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)