|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Germania.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Tacitus distinguish some tribes as German and not Sarmations?
(a) Sarmations were blonde and lighter-skinned.
(b) Sarmations were nomadic while Germans lived in homes.
(c) By their clothing style.
(d) By their primary weapons.
2. According to Mattingly, what seems to be missing from Tacitus' accounts of Britain?
(a) Its culture.
(b) Its geography.
(c) Its climate.
(d) Agricola's role in the isle.
3. What memorable adventure happened to the Usipi?
(a) They ran into the Fenni and were almost eaten by them.
(b) They had the best victory over Roman legions in history.
(c) They almost drowned in stormy seas off the coast of Britain.
(d) They sailed around North Britain, starved and were mistaken as pirates.
4. The invasion of Italy by the Germans was __________.
(d) A slow creeping progress.
5. Mattingly believes Tacitus underrated what about Rome and Germany's relationship?
(a) The equal influence of religious culture on one another.
(b) Their influence of advancing weaponry in each other's culture.
(c) The amount of trade that occurred.
(d) The diplomatic assemblies that occurred without violence.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Tacitus claim was the purpose of "baritus"?
2. What other country did Agricola want to conquer in order to surround Britain?
3. A toga for a Roman youth was equivalent to what for a German youth?
4. What was one way a non-native established Roman citizenship?
5. Which German tribe(s) invaded Italy in 113 B.C.?
This section contains 288 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)