|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Germania.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Agricola's third year in Britain, he focused on what in particular?
(a) He extended the conquered land to the entire isle.
(b) Granted citizenship for all of Britain.
(c) Tried to leave Britain for Germany.
(d) He built forts.
2. How did Augustus handle the Germans?
(a) He ignored their presence and concentrated on Britain.
(b) He advanced over the Rhine.
(c) He kept them at the Rhine.
(d) He advanced to the Elbe.
3. Who were under Roman rule but was not subjected to taxes and used only for war purposes?
(a) The Batavi.
(b) The Treviri.
(c) The Nevii.
(d) The Osi.
4. Of the following, which was one way a German became a slave among his own men?
(a) Commited adultery.
(b) Gambled his freedom away.
(c) Surrendered his shield.
(d) Lacked a kill by the age of fifteen.
5. Although feuds between families passed on to heirs, what reconciled them?
(a) A fair duel.
(b) An arranged marriage to unite the two families.
(c) Enough gold and silver.
(d) Enough cattle and sheep.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Tacitus deny existed in Germany?
2. According to Tacitus, Agricola felt it was more "honourable to __________ than to hate."
3. As stated by Mattingly, how does Tacitus compare to other historians of his age in regards to his writings about Germany?
4. What other country did Agricola want to conquer in order to surround Britain?
5. What was one of the most shameful acts a German soldier could do?
This section contains 279 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)