|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Germania.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What major characteristic did Tacitus note about the seas around Britain?
(a) The width between Britain and Spain was not as far as assumed.
(b) They were easy to sail and row through.
(c) They rushed to the ends of the earth.
(d) They had a large expanse of tidal currents.
2. According to Mattingly, what was most important to Tacitus in his life?
(a) His mother.
(b) His family.
(c) The reigning emperor.
(d) His career.
3. What did Tacitus deny existed in Germany?
(c) Domestic slavery.
4. With which ruler did Agricola have the most tense relationship?
5. What was necessary for the German people to keep tabs in hierarchy?
(a) Violence and war.
(b) A quarterly assembly of chiefs.
(d) Accurate account of wealth.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Tacitus provide so much British history in "The Agricola"?
2. The British speech Tacitus paraphrased in "The Agricola" that was used to rally against the Romans can be summed up in which statement?
3. According to Mattingly, what seems to be missing from Tacitus' accounts of Britain?
4. Of the following, which was one way a German became a slave among his own men?
5. Between which years was Tacitus alive?
This section contains 298 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)