|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Germania.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Agricola stand when fighting with his men?
(a) In the middle as his men surrounded him.
(b) In the back.
(c) In the very front.
(d) He did not fight in the battlegrounds.
2. What major characteristic did Tacitus note about the seas around Britain?
(a) They rushed to the ends of the earth.
(b) They had a large expanse of tidal currents.
(c) The width between Britain and Spain was not as far as assumed.
(d) They were easy to sail and row through.
3. As stated by Mattingly, how does Tacitus compare to other historians of his age in regards to his writings about Germany?
(a) One of the best.
(c) He was highly appreciated during his time but less so in the present.
(d) Not appreciated during his time but after his death.
4. What did Otho's fleet do to Agricola?
(a) Poisoned him.
(b) Denied his power as consul and disobeyed his orders.
(c) Murdered his mother and plundered her fortunes.
(d) Surprise attacked him from the rear.
5. What happened to Britain's hold after Agricola left?
(a) Everything won had been lost.
(b) There was a steady weakening of Roman hold.
(c) Little change occurred.
(d) Many forts were abandoned.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Introduction, Mattingly claims the Germans needed what if they were to ever reach maturity?
2. What was an obligation of a follower to a German chief in addition to protecting him?
3. What held back efficiency in a German assembly of chiefs?
4. What historic figure was known to visit Germany and found the city Asciburgium?
5. How could a German chief show prestige and power?
This section contains 326 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)