|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What pressure drove the mechanization of production in the late 1700s?
2. Where did the second wave of revolutions take place?
3. What cause did Russia and Britain disagree over after the French Revolution?
4. What was production freed from in the 1780s?
5. Which of the revolutions that took place in the first wave of revolutions after the French Revolution was NOT suppressed?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hobsbawm say the population was distributed in the 1780s?
2. What were the geographical consequences of the Napoleonic Wars, in Hobsbawm's account?
3. Describe the effect of the Greek revolution on Greece and the region.
4. Who, in Hobsbawm's account, formed the foundation for what Hobsbawm calls "self-conscious' nationalism?
5. Describe the final defeat of the French forces at the end of the Napoleonic Wars.
6. In what way does Hobsbawm say that the world was both bigger and smaller in the late 1700s?
7. Describe the beginnings of the French Revolution, from 1789 to 1792.
8. How does Hobsbawm say that the political atmosphere changed after the French Revolution?
9. In Hobsbawm's account, how strong were the major European nations by the end of the Napoleonic Wars?
10. In Hobsbawm's account, was the Napoleonic War worth the destruction it caused for the economic benefits that followed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Make a brief time line of the changes that were taking place in America from 1789 to 1848. How was the shape of the nation changing? How were the politics changing, and the arts and technology?
Essay Topic 2
70How does the Age of Revolution look if you discard the superlatives and try to see merely the new, small, day-to-day changes that made life markedly different from one year to the next over a period of 50 to 70 years? Write an extended journal entry or a series of short essays to describe what it must have been like for nineteenth-century Europeans to experience such a long period of consistent change.
Essay Topic 3
How had the past changed as a result of the French Revolution and the Industrial Revolution? How did the sciences, technologies and philosophies that were developed during the Age of Revolution change how people looked at their own origins and the origin of the human race?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)