|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what fields were cultural developments being made fastest in the late 1700s, according to Hobsbawm?
2. How does Hobsbawm describe the agrarian workers of the world?
3. Where were the French forces defeated in 1814?
4. What did Hobsbawm say was the new law of businesses in the late 1700s?
5. Where did the idea that Hobsbawm says was developing after 1830 first take root?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hobsbawm say that the political atmosphere changed after the French Revolution?
2. Describe the beginnings of the French Revolution, from 1789 to 1792.
3. How did the Napoleonic Wars affect the slave trade, in Hobsbawm's account?
4. What was the importance of railroads, in Hobsbawm's account, in the Industrial Revolution?
5. What role did the cotton market play in the Industrial Revolution, in Hobsbawm's account?
6. What does Hobsbawm say was the third wave of revolutions to follow the French Revolution?
7. Why did a period of peace follow the Napoleonic Wars, in Hobsbawm's account?
8. Describe Robespierre's influence on the French Revolution.
9. What does Hobsbawm say was the second wave of revolutions to follow the French Revolution?
10. How did the French Revolution proceed from 1792 to 1794?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Communism in the economy and Romanticism in the arts as two responses to industrialization. How are they related? How are they different manifestations of reactions against the same cultural environment?
Essay Topic 2
What was the role of the Jews in the Industrial Revolution and French Revolution? How did they participate in the transformation of European society? How did they benefit by it? How was their experience different than other groups' experiences?
Essay Topic 3
70How does the Age of Revolution look if you discard the superlatives and try to see merely the new, small, day-to-day changes that made life markedly different from one year to the next over a period of 50 to 70 years? Write an extended journal entry or a series of short essays to describe what it must have been like for nineteenth-century Europeans to experience such a long period of consistent change.
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)