|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the concept of nationalism spread through Europe?
2. Europe was ruled by Britain, France, Austria, Prussia and which nation?
3. What came to an end in 1830, according to Hobsbawm?
4. Who invested in the railroads, in Hobsbawm's account?
5. Which nation led the others in industrialization?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Hobsbawm say the European nations expanded their influence, for lack of war in Europe?
2. What was the importance of railroads, in Hobsbawm's account, in the Industrial Revolution?
3. In what way does Hobsbawm say that the world was both bigger and smaller in the late 1700s?
4. How does Hobsbawm say that the nationalistic ideal spread through Europe?
5. Why does Hobsbawm say that raw materials like iron and coal did not expand the same way as cotton began to expand in the 1780s?
6. What was the effect, in Hobsbawm's account, of the American Revolution on the French Revolution?
7. In Hobsbawm's account, how strong were the major European nations by the end of the Napoleonic Wars?
8. What role did the cotton market play in the Industrial Revolution, in Hobsbawm's account?
9. What does Hobsbawm say was the first wave of revolutions to follow the French Revolution?
10. Why did a period of peace follow the Napoleonic Wars, in Hobsbawm's account?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a detailed review of "The Age of Revolution". What are the book's main themes and preoccupations? What are its methods? How does it achieve its intentions? Where does it fail to?
Essay Topic 2
How had the past changed as a result of the French Revolution and the Industrial Revolution? How did the sciences, technologies and philosophies that were developed during the Age of Revolution change how people looked at their own origins and the origin of the human race?
Essay Topic 3
What was the role of the Jews in the Industrial Revolution and French Revolution? How did they participate in the transformation of European society? How did they benefit by it? How was their experience different than other groups' experiences?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)