|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Hobsbawm say rose to prominence financing the wars?
2. What, in Hobsbawm's view, was the economic result of the French Revolution?
3. What relationship had begun to dominate between landowners and farmers in England in the late 1700s?
4. Where did the second wave of revolutions take place?
5. What was the result of improvements in the technology of spinning and weaving?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hobsbawm say were the monarchies' relationships with land use and the economy in 1780?
2. Where does Hobsbawm say the European nations expanded their influence, for lack of war in Europe?
3. In Hobsbawm's account, how strong were the major European nations by the end of the Napoleonic Wars?
4. How does Hobsbawm say the population was distributed in the 1780s?
5. Why does Hobsbawm say that raw materials like iron and coal did not expand the same way as cotton began to expand in the 1780s?
6. Describe the beginnings of the French Revolution, from 1789 to 1792.
7. What conditions made Britain ripe for the Industrial Revolution, according to Hobsbawm?
8. What were the geographical consequences of the Napoleonic Wars, in Hobsbawm's account?
9. How did the French Revolution proceed from 1792 to 1794?
10. What does Hobsbawm say is the difference between revolts and national movements?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Considering the changes that were happening at the time in the early- to mid-1800s, it's no surprise that people were anxious about the future; but Marx saw Communism as the goal and perfection of human society. How had the times created this view in Marx and in European culture? What movements does Hobsbawm discuss which contributed to the development of Communism as an alternative to the capitalist exploitation of the Earth and the workers?
Essay Topic 2
Make a brief time line of the changes that were taking place in America from 1789 to 1848. How was the shape of the nation changing? How were the politics changing, and the arts and technology?
Essay Topic 3
Was the secularization of European culture a benefit or a disadvantage of industrialization? Or, was it simply a transition, as people found their religion in other places? What functions had religion served that were now served by other, secular developments?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)