|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where, according to Hobsbawm, did a national movement come from the masses?
2. How much does Hobsbawm say Europeans were affected by the Napoleonic Wars?
3. What was the Bastille a symbol of when the French stormed it in 1789?
4. Where were the French forces defeated in 1814?
5. Where were the French forces defeated in 1815?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hobsbawm say was the third wave of revolutions to follow the French Revolution?
2. Who, in Hobsbawm's account, formed the foundation for what Hobsbawm calls "self-conscious' nationalism?
3. What does Hobsbawm say was the paradox of progress in certain countries of Europe?
4. What does Hobsbawm say were the monarchies' relationships with land use and the economy in 1780?
5. What does Hobsbawm say was the first wave of revolutions to follow the French Revolution?
6. What role did the cotton market play in the Industrial Revolution, in Hobsbawm's account?
7. What does Hobsbawm say is the difference between revolts and national movements?
8. What conditions made Britain ripe for the Industrial Revolution, according to Hobsbawm?
9. How did the Napoleonic Wars affect the slave trade, in Hobsbawm's account?
10. How did the French Revolution proceed from 1792 to 1794?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Make a brief time line of the changes that were taking place in America from 1789 to 1848. How was the shape of the nation changing? How were the politics changing, and the arts and technology?
Essay Topic 2
Considering the changes that were happening at the time in the early- to mid-1800s, it's no surprise that people were anxious about the future; but Marx saw Communism as the goal and perfection of human society. How had the times created this view in Marx and in European culture? What movements does Hobsbawm discuss which contributed to the development of Communism as an alternative to the capitalist exploitation of the Earth and the workers?
Essay Topic 3
Make an annotated time line with the important trends and events that marked the development of Europe in the Age of Revolution. Make a map that shows these trends and events as well.
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)