|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which nation was the exception to the rule that Europe was ruled by absolute monarchs, in the late 1700s?
2. France was opposed by which of these in the Napoleonic Wars?
3. What cause did Russian and Britain support together after the French Revolution?
4. Who dominated the Third Estate in the 1780s in France?
5. Where were the French forces defeated in 1814?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hobsbawm say was the second wave of revolutions to follow the French Revolution?
2. What does Hobsbawm say was the first wave of revolutions to follow the French Revolution?
3. Where does Hobsbawm say the European nations expanded their influence, for lack of war in Europe?
4. How does Hobsbawm say that the nationalistic ideal spread through Europe?
5. What does Hobsbawm say was the third wave of revolutions to follow the French Revolution?
6. How does Hobsbawm say that the political atmosphere changed after the French Revolution?
7. What were the geographical consequences of the Napoleonic Wars, in Hobsbawm's account?
8. Who, in Hobsbawm's account, formed the foundation for what Hobsbawm calls "self-conscious' nationalism?
9. What does Hobsbawm say were the monarchies' relationships with land use and the economy in 1780?
10. What does Hobsbawm say is the difference between revolts and national movements?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Was the secularization of European culture a benefit or a disadvantage of industrialization? Or, was it simply a transition, as people found their religion in other places? What functions had religion served that were now served by other, secular developments?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways were the French Revolution and Industrial Revolution 'revolutions' in the technical sense (i.e. turnings back toward some previous state) and in what ways were they revolutionary (i.e. unprecedented, original events)?
Essay Topic 3
What are the major developments that have shaped the hundred and sixty or so years since 1848? Choose one and describe, in much the way Hobsbawm does, the factors that led to the development, as well as its primary consequences.
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)