|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was abolished in the wake of Napoleon's victories?
2. What was the Code of Napoleon?
3. Where were the French forces superior to the English?
4. Why did the international congress among Europe's ruling nations dissolve after a few years?
5. What did the French monarch make a practice of in the 1780s?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Hobsbawm say the European nations expanded their influence, for lack of war in Europe?
2. Why does Hobsbawm say that raw materials like iron and coal did not expand the same way as cotton began to expand in the 1780s?
3. What does Hobsbawm say is the difference between revolts and national movements?
4. How does Hobsbawm say the population was distributed in the 1780s?
5. What does Hobsbawm say were the monarchies' relationships with land use and the economy in 1780?
6. Describe the final defeat of the French forces at the end of the Napoleonic Wars.
7. Describe Robespierre's influence on the French Revolution.
8. What was the effect, in Hobsbawm's account, of the American Revolution on the French Revolution?
9. Who, in Hobsbawm's account, formed the foundation for what Hobsbawm calls "self-conscious' nationalism?
10. In what way does Hobsbawm say that the world was both bigger and smaller in the late 1700s?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are Hobsbawm's historiographical priorities? What historiographical methods characterize his work? What themes is he interested in? How does he explore them? Compare this work (or contrast it) with other works of history you have read.
Essay Topic 2
How important was nationalism in the revolutions Hobsbawm describes? Was it a cause or an effect of the revolutions? If it was a cause, what were its effects? If it was an effect, what caused it?
Essay Topic 3
Make an annotated time line with the important trends and events that marked the development of Europe in the Age of Revolution. Make a map that shows these trends and events as well.
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)