|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the French Revolution create in Spain?
2. Who does Hobsbawm say rose to prominence financing the wars?
3. In what way does Hobsbawm say the world was smaller in 1789?
4. What was the effect of the nobility trying to return to government in France?
5. What group does Hobsbawm say typified the revolutionary groups that became active in 1848?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hobsbawm say that the political atmosphere changed after the French Revolution?
2. In Hobsbawm's account, how strong were the major European nations by the end of the Napoleonic Wars?
3. How does Hobsbawm say that the nationalistic ideal spread through Europe?
4. Who, in Hobsbawm's account, formed the foundation for what Hobsbawm calls "self-conscious' nationalism?
5. Describe the effect of the Greek revolution on Greece and the region.
6. In Hobsbawm's account, was the Napoleonic War worth the destruction it caused for the economic benefits that followed?
7. How does Hobsbawm say the population was distributed in the 1780s?
8. What does Hobsbawm say was the third wave of revolutions to follow the French Revolution?
9. Why did a period of peace follow the Napoleonic Wars, in Hobsbawm's account?
10. How did the Napoleonic Wars affect the slave trade, in Hobsbawm's account?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How was Napoleon the ruler and leader of France, different from Napoleon the man? What movements did Napoleon, the man, ride at the forefront of? Did he shape his mythical identity consciously, or did the people of France and Europe create his mythical role themselves?
Essay Topic 2
Was the secularization of European culture a benefit or a disadvantage of industrialization? Or, was it simply a transition, as people found their religion in other places? What functions had religion served that were now served by other, secular developments?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways were the French Revolution and Industrial Revolution 'revolutions' in the technical sense (i.e. turnings back toward some previous state) and in what ways were they revolutionary (i.e. unprecedented, original events)?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)