|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the French National Assembly modeled on?
2. What happened that fostered nationalist movements in the Balkans?
3. Which nation was the exception to the rule that Europe was ruled by absolute monarchs, in the late 1700s?
4. France was opposed by which of these in the Napoleonic Wars?
5. Europe was ruled by Britain, France, Austria, Prussia and which nation?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Hobsbawm's account, was the Napoleonic War worth the destruction it caused for the economic benefits that followed?
2. Describe the effect of the Greek revolution on Greece and the region.
3. Who, in Hobsbawm's account, formed the foundation for what Hobsbawm calls "self-conscious' nationalism?
4. What was the effect, in Hobsbawm's account, of the American Revolution on the French Revolution?
5. What conditions made Britain ripe for the Industrial Revolution, according to Hobsbawm?
6. How does Hobsbawm say that the nationalistic ideal spread through Europe?
7. What does Hobsbawm say was the first wave of revolutions to follow the French Revolution?
8. In Hobsbawm's account, why was 1830 a turning point in the history of Europe?
9. What does Hobsbawm say was the paradox of progress in certain countries of Europe?
10. What does Hobsbawm say was the second wave of revolutions to follow the French Revolution?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
70How does the Age of Revolution look if you discard the superlatives and try to see merely the new, small, day-to-day changes that made life markedly different from one year to the next over a period of 50 to 70 years? Write an extended journal entry or a series of short essays to describe what it must have been like for nineteenth-century Europeans to experience such a long period of consistent change.
Essay Topic 2
How was Napoleon the ruler and leader of France, different from Napoleon the man? What movements did Napoleon, the man, ride at the forefront of? Did he shape his mythical identity consciously, or did the people of France and Europe create his mythical role themselves?
Essay Topic 3
Write a detailed review of "The Age of Revolution". What are the book's main themes and preoccupations? What are its methods? How does it achieve its intentions? Where does it fail to?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)