|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What emerged in 1830, according to Hobsbawm's evaluation?
2. Who invested in the railroads, in Hobsbawm's account?
3. Where does Hobsbawm say the first wave of revolutions took place after the French Revolution?
4. What happened that fostered nationalist movements in the Balkans?
5. Which market supplied raw materials for the cotton trade?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the beginnings of the French Revolution, from 1789 to 1792.
2. How did the French Revolution proceed from 1792 to 1794?
3. Describe Robespierre's influence on the French Revolution.
4. Describe the final defeat of the French forces at the end of the Napoleonic Wars.
5. What does Hobsbawm say is the difference between revolts and national movements?
6. In what way does Hobsbawm say that the world was both bigger and smaller in the late 1700s?
7. Describe the effect of the Greek revolution on Greece and the region.
8. How did the Napoleonic Wars affect the slave trade, in Hobsbawm's account?
9. In Hobsbawm's account, was the Napoleonic War worth the destruction it caused for the economic benefits that followed?
10. In Hobsbawm's account, how strong were the major European nations by the end of the Napoleonic Wars?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Communism in the economy and Romanticism in the arts as two responses to industrialization. How are they related? How are they different manifestations of reactions against the same cultural environment?
Essay Topic 2
Revolutions took place for years after the French Revolution, some successful, some not. How would you characterize the legacy of the French Revolution in these other revolutions? Were these revolutions independent occurrences? Were they inspired by or in any way caused by the French Revolution? Or, were they merely reactions against the same cultural developments that had happened in France?
Essay Topic 3
Hobsbawm says that nationalism was a new phenomenon after 1830, and that it was tied to the rise of a middle class. Explain the relationship between nationalism and the rising middle class. How did the middle class use nationalism to define itself and its desires? What problems or pressures did nationalism answer or resolve for the middle class?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)