|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which nation was the exception to the rule that Europe was ruled by absolute monarchs, in the late 1700s?
2. What was the age of scientific and political progress in the 1700s called?
3. Who does Hobsbawm say the revolutionary groups saw as the beneficiaries of their third wave of revolutions?
4. Which industry saw special improvements and expansion in the late 1700s, according to Hobsbawm?
5. In what fields were cultural developments being made fastest in the late 1700s, according to Hobsbawm?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the importance of railroads, in Hobsbawm's account, in the Industrial Revolution?
2. What does Hobsbawm say were the monarchies' relationships with land use and the economy in 1780?
3. Describe Robespierre's influence on the French Revolution.
4. What conditions made Britain ripe for the Industrial Revolution, according to Hobsbawm?
5. Describe the final defeat of the French forces at the end of the Napoleonic Wars.
6. Why does Hobsbawm say that raw materials like iron and coal did not expand the same way as cotton began to expand in the 1780s?
7. What does Hobsbawm say was the first wave of revolutions to follow the French Revolution?
8. What does Hobsbawm say was the third wave of revolutions to follow the French Revolution?
9. What does Hobsbawm say was the second wave of revolutions to follow the French Revolution?
10. How does Hobsbawm say that the political atmosphere changed after the French Revolution?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How important was nationalism in the revolutions Hobsbawm describes? Was it a cause or an effect of the revolutions? If it was a cause, what were its effects? If it was an effect, what caused it?
Essay Topic 2
How was Napoleon the ruler and leader of France, different from Napoleon the man? What movements did Napoleon, the man, ride at the forefront of? Did he shape his mythical identity consciously, or did the people of France and Europe create his mythical role themselves?
Essay Topic 3
Revolutions took place for years after the French Revolution, some successful, some not. How would you characterize the legacy of the French Revolution in these other revolutions? Were these revolutions independent occurrences? Were they inspired by or in any way caused by the French Revolution? Or, were they merely reactions against the same cultural developments that had happened in France?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)