|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Science and Conclusion: Towards 1848.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What landmark event does Hobsbawm use as the beginning of the middle class ideology?
(a) The publication of 'Wealth of Nations".
(b) The publication of Hobbes' "Leviathan".
(c) The publication of "Jane Eyre".
(d) The publication of "Bleak House".
2. What branch of science was closely tied to growing nationalism in the mid-1800s?
(a) Comparative literature.
3. Why did the French state have a financial crisis in the 1780s?
(a) Because they had overextended themselves in their colonies.
(b) Because they had brought too many workers into the labor force, and devalued their currency.
(c) Because they helped the Americans in their Revolutionary War.
(d) Because they had lost Canada to the British.
4. According to Hobsbawm, what characterized conditions in the neighborhoods of the working poor?
(a) High disease.
(b) Lower and lower population density over time.
(c) Clean streets.
(d) Better and more efficient organization over time.
5. What were the dates of the Napoleonic Wars?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was abolished in the wake of Napoleon's victories?
2. What did revolutionaries see as the goal of their revolutions?
3. What was Chartism?
4. Where did Britain expand its relationships after the French Revolution?
5. What state were other economies in 1848?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)