|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Science and Conclusion: Towards 1848.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was NOT a source to which Hobsbawm attributes the development of the arts during the industrialization of Europe?
(a) The French Revolution.
(b) The middle ages.
(c) Primitive man.
2. Where did the second wave of revolutions take place?
(a) Ireland and Poland.
(b) Turkey and Greece.
(c) Albania and Romania.
3. Why, according to Hobsbawm, did land reform take place in France?
(a) Because of the ravages of the Napoleonic Wars.
(b) Because of the French Revolution.
(c) Because of Napoleon's defeat in Russia.
(d) Because of the Industrial Revolution.
4. Who was affected by advances in mathematics, in Hobsbawm's account?
(a) Only a few advanced thinkers.
(b) City planners and engineers.
(c) Philosophers and writers.
(d) The working poor.
5. Where did the idea that Hobsbawm says was developing after 1830 first take root?
(a) In the bourgeoisie.
(b) In the destitute.
(c) In the working poor.
(d) In the middle classes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What set the stage for the French Revolution, in Hobsbawm's account?
2. What did revolutionaries see as the goal of their revolutions?
3. What possibility did this social structure open to French society?
4. In Hobsbawm's account, what did the peasantry gain by land reforms sweeping the globe in the mid-1800s?
5. How, in Hobsbawm's account, did people in the 1840s feel about the future?
This section contains 332 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)