|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Science and Conclusion: Towards 1848.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What tool did the upper classes use to discriminate against the working poor?
(a) Military repression.
(c) Hiring decisions.
(d) Anti-union gangs.
2. Who does Hobsbawm say rose to prominence financing the wars?
(a) The Rockefellers.
(c) The Jews.
(d) The Barings and Rothschilds.
3. What does Hobsbawm say revolts turned against in this period?
(a) Alien rule.
(b) Mercantile colonialism.
(c) Aristocratic rule.
(d) Absentee landlords.
4. What role did Chartists play in politics?
(a) They agitated for conservative politicians.
(b) They disrupted the political process.
(c) They were elected to local councils.
(d) They agitated for liberal politicians.
5. What caused the middle class ideology to decline, in Hobsbawm's account?
(a) The advent of monopolies.
(b) Cutthroat capitalist competition.
(c) Communism was taking hold.
(d) It was vulgarized by business interests.
Short Answer Questions
1. How religious does Hobsbawm say the working classes were, by modern standards?
2. Which industry saw special improvements and expansion in the late 1700s, according to Hobsbawm?
3. Which religions gained adherents after the French Revolution?
4. What was abolished in the wake of Napoleon's victories?
5. Where does Hobsbawm say the first wave of revolutions took place after the French Revolution?
This section contains 218 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)