|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Career Open to Talent.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which market supplied raw materials for the cotton trade?
(b) Britain's colonies.
2. Which nation led the others in industrialization?
3. Why were the working poor treated with contempt as a new social structure evolved in Europe?
(a) They did not need to finance their lives with untrustworthy paper money.
(b) They knew how to perform the manual labor that others no longer performed.
(c) They seemed to lack the quality that had allowed others to move into the middle class.
(d) They seemed to be freer than the middle class, who had to be ambitious to get ahead.
4. Where does Hobsbawm see a culture combining nationalism with the revolutionary spirit of the French Revolution?
5. Why did the French state have a financial crisis in the 1780s?
(a) Because they helped the Americans in their Revolutionary War.
(b) Because they had overextended themselves in their colonies.
(c) Because they had lost Canada to the British.
(d) Because they had brought too many workers into the labor force, and devalued their currency.
Short Answer Questions
1. Europe was ruled by Britain, France, Austria, Prussia and which nation?
2. What emerged in 1830, according to Hobsbawm's evaluation?
3. What did the land have to be turned into before it could be developed economically, in Hobsbawm's opinion?
4. What changed in other countries, but did not change in France, in Hobsbawm's analysis?
5. What did the French monarch make a practice of in the 1780s?
This section contains 318 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)