|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Career Open to Talent.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Hobsbawm say the second wave of revolutions took place?
2. In Hobsbawm's account, what happened in France as industrialism expanded in neighboring countries?
(a) France industrialized quickly, as the soldiers returned from the Napoleonic Wars and went to work in factories.
(b) The economy was paralyzed by the veterans returning from the wars to the small plots of land Napoleon had promised.
(c) Economic development was slow for lack of investors willing to put money in French factories.
(d) Land reforms from the French Revolution tied land use to the peasantry, and the economy did not take off.
3. Why does Hobsbawm say that the Industrial Revolution could only have happened in England?
(a) Becaue only Britain had the commercial strength and social conditions for it.
(b) Because the Industrial Revolution required a cooler climate.
(c) Because agriculture thrived in England's moister climate.
(d) Because the rest of the continent was consumed in war.
4. What cause did Russia and Britain disagree over after the French Revolution?
(a) The independence of Turkey.
(b) The independence of Greece.
(c) The independence of Poland.
(d) The independence of Finland.
5. Which class does Hobsbawm say published and circulated native-language publications?
(a) The universities.
(b) Urban presses.
(c) Local presses.
(d) Ex-patriate presses.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what respect does Hobsbawm say that Britain was well-situated as industrialism expanded?
2. What emerged in 1830, according to Hobsbawm's evaluation?
3. What does Hobsbawm say revolts turned against in this period?
4. Where did the idea that Hobsbawm says was developing after 1830 first take root?
5. Which of the revolutions that took place in the first wave of revolutions after the French Revolution was NOT suppressed?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)